• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This wait is tense. Less than 2 days to go. Are there any other E3 events I can distract myself with until then?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
This wait is tense. Less than 2 days to go. Are there any other E3 events I can distract myself with until then?
Not really, considering the Smash micro-Direct thing is technically happening before E3. Maybe find a shorter game to immerse yourself into for a little while?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Not really, considering the Smash micro-Direct thing is technically happening before E3. Maybe find a shorter game to immerse yourself into for a little while?
I was lucky enough to get an early access demo for the new Shantae game, so that satiated something I've been anticipating. Also have stuff coming in the mail today that is giving me something else to look forward to first.

Point is, the key to making the wait pass quickly is by having other things to wait for that are coming first. Doesn't need to be anything big. Maybe you've been waiting to see the new Jurassic Park movie. You can do that now.

Also, maybe there's some game stuff you've left undone. How many of you have completed all the challenges in Smash even? There's something to do if you got time to burn and waiting on E3 news and the direct is killing you.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I was lucky enough to get an early access demo for the new Shantae game, so that satiated something I've been anticipating. Also have stuff coming in the mail today that is giving me something else to look forward to first.

Point is, the key to making the wait pass quickly is by having other things to wait for that are coming first. Doesn't need to be anything big. Maybe you've been waiting to see the new Jurassic Park movie. You can do that now.

Also, maybe there's some game stuff you've left undone. How many of you have completed all the challenges in Smash even? There's something to do if you got time to burn and waiting on E3 news and the direct is killing you.
Going to see Jurassic World tomorrow

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Fox fan6667

Smash Cadet
Well all we can do is wait. And hope and prey we get krystal in the new star fox wii u trailer (if we have a trailer for it). Just gonna have to wait and see!!!#Krystal4smash

Oh one more thing is it me or the new jurassic world is comeing out a day before e3? Cuz remember krystal i think could tie into it all with the dinosaurs u know?

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Well, I think I just saw direct spoilers...

Legit looking classic mode completion movies for Roy and Ryu.
I've seen them too. As a Roy supporter, to have our boy Roy come back to Smash Bros, it's great!

But now, let's go back to Krystal.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I don't know what to think of those videos yet. If they're legit, though...I worry about the precedent they could set. If Roy got in on seniority despite potentially being redundant...we could be looking behind every other veteran whose lack of uniqueness no longer matters.

We could be outclassed all because those characters have been in Smash before and ours hasn't. Every character in a situation like ours will have already lost because they didn't come first.

It's...haunting.

Perhaps if it starts to look that way, we'll need a way to draw more support. We'd need to be as loud as our detractors.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I don't know what to think of those videos yet. If they're legit, though...I worry about the precedent they could set. If Roy got in on seniority despite potentially being redundant...we could be looking behind every other veteran whose lack of uniqueness no longer matters.

We could be outclassed all because those characters have been in Smash before and ours hasn't. Every character in a situation like ours will have already lost because they didn't come first.

It's...haunting.

Perhaps if it starts to look that way, we'll need a way to draw more support. We'd need to be as loud as our detractors.
The only other vet that will come in next is wolf, Young link can easily be a toon link alt. And pichu? Why.

Snake and ICS have issues.

Theres no suprise Lucas and Roy came back since they were highly requested over any other character in JP and here. Not because of seniority, and that does NOT mean uniqueness will no longer be a factor. Iconic status, uniqueness, and fan support all are part of this.

But if theres going to be more slots, then theres no problem, i see no reason to start worrying yet

However we do need more support either way

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
The reason Roy got back is would be the same reason Krystal would get in. Fan support/demand. There is no reason let to worry. The only time I can think we should worry would be if Krystal isn't revealed along side Wolf. Then we may have some issues.

Did Roy's video make anyone else laugh?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The reason Roy got back is would be the same reason Krystal would get in. Fan support/demand. There is no reason let to worry. The only time I can think we should worry would be if Krystal isn't revealed along side Wolf. Then we may have some issues.

It was GLORIOUS!! Who's the king of the tier list now, Falco?!
:laugh:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

I've never really expected to get a Krystal reveal along side Wolf at E3. Would be awesome, but I find it unlikely. I do expect a Wolf reveal though and I expect a prominent appearance by Krystal in the new Star Fox Wii U trailer. Those are the things I'm expecting. Krystal may not have great odds at being outright confirmed for Smash at E3 but she has great odds at making a Star Fox appearance. That's the fuel we'll use to push her into even stronger smash contention. I believe in Krystal's chances, just not in the immediate future. We're still in the pre-ballot era of this DLC thing imo.

It was GLORIOUS!! Who's the king of the tier list now, Falco?!
:laugh:
Poor Falco. Didn't he get nerfed enough?

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
I've never really expected to get a Krystal reveal along side Wolf at E3. Would be awesome, but I find it unlikely. I do expect a Wolf reveal though and I expect a prominent appearance by Krystal in the new Star Fox Wii U trailer. Those are the things I'm expecting. Krystal may not have great odds at being outright confirmed for Smash at E3 but she has great odds at making a Star Fox appearance. That's the fuel we'll use to push her into even stronger smash contention. I believe in Krystal's chances, just not in the immediate future. We're still in the pre-ballot era of this DLC thing imo.

Poor Falco. Didn't he get nerfed enough?
I guess Roy disagrees.

DeNice

Smash Cadet
NNID
DeNice1776
3DS FC
2509-1398-2342
Hey guys, back once again. The whole Roy and Ryu leak got me thinking pretty heavily about the whole situation again. With Roy in I think that basically outright confirms Wolf is coming back; there's just no way he's going to be able to miss this DLC cut as it seems Nintendo's trying to get the veterans out of the way first (minus Ryu, which must've been an inside deal with Capcom to get him in this early.) I know its usually bad to be so sure on a speculation but I think it's just too obvious at this point. Also, with the fact that FE's now got 5 reps, I'm very certain this throws the whole 'same series characters fighting for recognition' thing a bit out the window. Star Fox's possible roster at the end of all this perfectly matches what's going on with Fire Emblem; three characters that play mechanically similar (Marth, Lucina & Roy [Ike is a distant 4th] to Fox, Falco, and Wolf) and then there's the one character in the series that plays radically different from the their series partners (Robin, and in this case, ours would be Krystal). If anything, I believe this may have helped Krystal's chances with the practically sure possibility that Wolf will be coming, most likely before September, as it seems it's not the matter of them having to choose which one character out of a series should be chosen in the grand scheme of things.

Also, with apparently Lucas, Ryu and Roy being available even within this very week upcoming, there's the stronger possibilty that they'll be introduced together, since I would find it hard not to look at Wolf as an already completed character from Brawl and not consider doing something 'different' with Star Fox at this point, with Krystal standing next to him in the corner during the DLC development process. They don't have to be revealed simultaneously either consider the ballot is also open til October, and that's PLENTY of time to consider a first-party rep like her. Finally, Star Fox U would be able to seal the deal if Krystal is part of the plot, or even better, part of the active team again depending on what they're planning to do with that game in itself.

It may have been said before, but I'm slowly getting more and more sure about this fox girl's chances the more this DLC venture unfolds this year. I wanted to play it safe, try not to get too much into putting my eggs in the basket in fear of them being crushed again, but man... let's just say I'm hold onto them REAL tightly in my hands at this moment. Let's keep this Krystalization movement going, guys; she's got a LOT of out-paths riding in her favor.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
You know, I thought it wouldn't have been a bad time to reveal Wolf at E3 because of Star Fox Wii U. It seems like that isn't happening now.

So then the question is: when would it be a good time to reveal Wolf now? Perhaps there is going to be a direct sometime between E3 and Star Fox Wii U's release that goes even further into detail regarding Star Fox Wii U. Maybe then Wolf can be revealed. I don't know. I almost feel like revealing Krystal and Wolf in one direct would be pushing it. Maybe Krystal won't be considered until after Star Fox Wii U is released.

Then again, we still don't even know what the cast is for Star Fox Wii U...

But still, Roy and Ryu is pretty nice. It's just not a surprise. :/

We've seen lots of speculation surrounding certain data exploitation that made it seem as if those two were expected to be revealed at some point in time.

Although, I'm curious as to Ryu's position. Was his inclusion because of the ballot, or because of what Nintendo simply had in mind? I mean I know Roy's extremely popular in Japan, but I have little clue to Ryu's popularity. He seems to be a character that many people are fine with, but there's not too much talk about him over here in the West before this reveal. Was he popular in Japan too?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Although, I'm curious as to Ryu's position. Was his inclusion because of the ballot, or because of what Nintendo simply had in mind? I mean I know Roy's extremely popular in Japan, but I have little clue to Ryu's popularity. He seems to be a character that many people are fine with, but there's not too much talk about him over here in the West before this reveal. Was he popular in Japan too?
From what I've seen, Ryu only had mild ballot support, and even that was because of the leak. He must've made it in for other reasons we don't know of yet.

DeNice

Smash Cadet
NNID
DeNice1776
3DS FC
2509-1398-2342
@ TheRandomCities4 TheRandomCities4 , Delzethin - Well, since it's not exactly E3 yet, and technically this whole Smash Direct tomorrow is set before E3 officially starts, you really can't be too certain about the events that will or will not take place during the main E3 days. I think Star Fox U will be a given to show on the main Nintendo Direct on the 16th, and considering that back during E3 2013, Wii Fit Trainer wasn't shown immediately during the first reveal of Smash 4 (which had Villager and Mega Man on the debut trailer), but rather about a day later, we could still see a Wolf reveal this week (but since his data's not in this update, he will probably be in the next one, still in development.)

Also, no way could the Ballot have effected Ryu. Considering it takes time to strike a deal with outside companies, no matter how fast or willing both parties are to sign the papers and work together, there's still the matter of taking the weeks/months time to create, code and properly implement the character and his or her elements (interactions, stages, voicing, etc.) into a game like Smash. The Ballot was announced on April 1st, I think the first data mining for Roy and Ryu were at the end of the month/beginning of May, so the decision to add him had to have been completed and well into development long before hand. As far as Ryu's inclusion, it's surely more so about his iconic status as a genre-defining character, Sakurai's initial desire to look to Capcom for 3rd party support and good relations with Capcom on a company level rather than fan vote. Even with Namco co-developing the game, it seems there's some sort of special 'click' between Nintendo and Capcom recently. It's sort of like Pac-Man; he's a noted and respected icon to gaming, helped shape a piece of what gaming is today (especially the competitive side of things; withouth Street Fighter and him, we probably wouldn't have ANY of the fighting genre as we see it today) and certainly had his share of fan votes and wishes to come to Smash before the ballot, but not nearly on the level of Mega Man, whom was practically begged upon from all sorts of gamers old and young alike since Brawl was coming up along with Sonic the world over. Either way, Ryu's inclusion seems to only open up even more doors to what Smash 4's potential can be roster wise, both outside and inside Nintendo. (Also, with all this darn effort, I can definitely see this being Sakurai's last Smash game. There's just too much here... If he's gonna go out, best go all-out with the loudest bang possible. Hell the Wii U needs this sort of stuff right now.)

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
So after seeing a movie today i get home to see roy and ryu confirmed. So while im excited to play as my boy roy again this kinda confirms something. However let's not forget something here. There is a small chance Star Fox Wii U might reveal something since after all it is the biggest thing being hyped right now by fans and Nintendo. So if you ask me maybe similar to Mewto we'll see a teaser. Because i feel like Roy and Ryu have been developed alongside Lucas so yeah. However who knows maybe im wrong.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
@ DeNice DeNice is on the same wavelength as me.

Roy and Ryu do not hurt Krystal's chances in the long run or Wolf's chances in the short term. The past two E3's revealed 3 new characters. We have two now. Wolf seems very likely for a post Star Fox Wii U trailer. Roy's inclusion makes Wolf even more likely in fact. In Japanese polls Lucas, Wolf, and Roy were almost always the top three requested vets with Wolf usually closer to first and second in requests. It makes sense that Wolf would come later than the other two, just so he could coincide with Star Fox hype. The fact that Roy and Ryu and Lucas have been made playable at the same time also shows the amount of work Sakurai's team is still able to produce. "Bunches" of dlc characters can be done at once. It bodes well for ballot decisions made by the team and how much content we can expect... assuming they didn't just burn themselves out on these three and will slow their pace later.

I'm optimistic about the implications here, but I don't think it's unwarranted. If we're to continue pushing our character, we have to at least believe all the same. In a couple days, we'll see what Star Fox Wii U could do for us. In the most hopeful best case scenario, we may have nothing to do because Krystal really will get revealed along side Wolf. Not holding my breath for THAT much fortune, but I think things are still looking up under reasonable expectations.

From what I've seen, Ryu only had mild ballot support, and even that was because of the leak. He must've made it in for other reasons we don't know of yet.
What DeNice said. That is the likely scenario. I've even heard a rumor that Capcom was more interested in letting Nintendo use Ryu than they were Megaman. Ryu was an idea for a long while before now, I'm sure.

Also, in PushedDustin's Japanese survey I think Ryu was the fourth or fifth most desired third party character. Not too shabby considering the large cast of third party requests out there. This was pre-ballot too. Dustin's survey was taken at the start of the year. I think we do see more loud support for other third party characters outside Japan... like Banjo, Rayman, Shantae, and others.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
@ DeNice DeNice is on the same wavelength as me.

Roy and Ryu do not hurt Krystal's chances in the long run or Wolf's chances in the short term. The past two E3's revealed 3 new characters. We have two now. Wolf seems very likely for a post Star Fox Wii U trailer. Roy's inclusion makes Wolf even more likely in fact. In Japanese polls Lucas, Wolf, and Roy were almost always the top three requested vets with Wolf usually closer to first and second in requests. It makes sense that Wolf would come later than the other two, just so he could coincide with Star Fox hype. The fact that Roy and Ryu and Lucas have been made playable at the same time also shows the amount of work Sakurai's team is still able to produce. "Bunches" of dlc characters can be done at once. It bodes well for ballot decisions made by the team and how much content we can expect... assuming they didn't just burn themselves out on these three and will slow their pace later.

I'm optimistic about the implications here, but I don't think it's unwarranted. If we're to continue pushing our character, we have to at least believe all the same. In a couple days, we'll see what Star Fox Wii U could do for us. In the most hopeful best case scenario, we may have nothing to do because Krystal really will get revealed along side Wolf. Not holding my breath for THAT much fortune, but I think things are still looking up under reasonable expectations.
I don't think Roy and Ryu hurt Wolf or Krystal's chances, so much as I think that it simply means that Wolf and Krystal may have different times to be revealed instead of E3. I agree however that it is possible that there still could be a reveal at E3 for later character DLC.

I'm just trying to think about timing and promotion for Star Fox Wii U. I have no idea how Nintendo will go about promoting that game. I always thought Smash DLC would be a good way to start the promotion for a new game (especially one that more or less has an uphill battle to be sold in today's market like Star Fox Wii U).

We'll see for sure later.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I don't think Roy and Ryu hurt Wolf or Krystal's chances, so much as I think that it simply means that Wolf and Krystal may have different times to be revealed instead of E3. I agree however that it is possible that there still could be a reveal at E3 for later character DLC.

I'm just trying to think about timing and promotion for Star Fox Wii U. I have no idea how Nintendo will go about promoting that game. I always thought Smash DLC would be a good way to start the promotion for a new game (especially one that more or less has an uphill battle to be sold in today's market like Star Fox Wii U).

We'll see for sure later.
Part of the problem is we know so little about Star Fox Wii U. Many of our questions will be answered in a couple days. We may have a better idea as to how Nintendo will promote the game once we actually know something concrete about the game.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I wonder if we could still get Wolf in the E3 direct, something is telling me that these two aren't all left to be revealed and I doubt we'll just get one of them in the smash presentation

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I wonder if we could still get Wolf in the E3 direct, something is telling me that these two aren't all left to be revealed and I doubt we'll just get one of them in the smash presentation
I think his best odds for a reveal are right after the Star Fox Wii U presentation. Keep your eyes open. May come later in a special direct or something, but my bet is on after the E3 presentation. Nothing is certain of course, but that just seems the most likely and suitable. Unlike Roy and Ryu though, he'll get an announcement like Lucas did a couple months ago. Roy and Ryu will be announced and then be available shortly after it seems. Not sure on that, but there's as much of them in the data as there is Lucas at this point. Only reason not to release them soon is to stagger releases even if the characters are pretty much done.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Well, this thread has links to gameplay of Roy & Ryu... http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/71982766 Now I'm really hoping Nintendo has something good up their sleeves because having characters leaked ruins over half of the hype for Smash... Still hoping for a Wolf reveal after the Star Fox Wii U presentation and Krystal appearing in it.

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
After all of this, nintendo better go all out to make all of their fans happy. The fire emblem fans should more than satisfied now. Xc it would be nice if they gave the dk fans king k rool and Dixie, the Kirby fans bandana dee and us star fox fans wolf and krystal. :l I mean come on!! :/

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
The problem with Metroid is that Ridley is the next most iconic Metroid character by miles. No other character really honestly feels right getting in before him as a representative. And that's a problem because we all know by now that Sakurai has pretty much stated that Ridley's fate is sealed.
Still unfair considering that it's one of nintendo's biggest franchise's and is still being represented by Samus alone

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Vets are probably excluded from the ballot, and the way I see it, it's possible that Krystal could be teased in Wolf's trailer, and then be revealed as a newcomer later on.
I voted for her again,this is what I posted on my vote for the ballot:
"Krystal would be a radical departure from Fox, Falco, and Wolf, who have similar movesets. Krystal could use her staff from Star Fox: Adventures and maybe some of the weapons from Star Fox: Assault. She is quite popular as well, she's been since before Brawl was released. Not to.mention how a new Star Fox is on the way, and having her as a newcomer would be a great way to promote the new game. "

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I forget exactly what I wrote when voting for her, I recall mentioning some petition I came across when searching around, but I do know that I suggested her the very moment they announced the ballot.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
If anything, the whole "no over-representation" argument is gone now. Although if Wolf doesn't get revealed on Tuesday, Krystal will be stuck in his shadow for longer...

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
With all this new content I think Nintendo is going go out for its fans this time around. Even Ridley doesn't seem so farfetched now. My hopes for Krystal have risen so high thanks to this leak.

Edit: Remember when we were talking about a kind of mode change for Krystal but we thought they wouldn't waste time like that on a DLC character. Well Ryu throws that out the window hard. He has Street Fighter like inputs (Quarter Circle) along wit the normal Smash inputs (F-Smash, F-Tilt) so maybe Krystal can be made into even more of unique character!

Last edited:
Top Bottom