• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Guess I'll join in on the trend, too.

Honestly my memory is kinda hazey on the subject of my first encounter with Star Fox, but what I'm about to admit to is probably a crime considered to many; I've actually NEVER played Star Fox 64. I know, terrible, huh? My first taste of classic Star Fox is the 3DS version I bought about 2 years ago. I certainly enjoyed it, but it did feel like a different experience. Not just gameplay but just the overall atmosphere, I guess with the more cheesy dialogue and lighter hearted nature of it.

Anyways, moving on, from what I can remember, I first experienced Star Fox in 2005 with both Adventures AND Assault. It was around the time I got my first computer and my mom ordered me Adventures from Ebay. It was a pretty meaningful time, because me and my dad used to play it together so it was also a good way for us to bond. I remember Krystal being probably one of my first video game crushes, aha as well as looking up to Fox as this totally awesome super hero, so they both instantly became my favourite characters.

Around the same time as this, my friend had just bought Assault, as it just came out at this point and we used to waste hours away playing multiplayer. He used to make fun of me because I always played as Krystal, aha. Strangely enough, I didn't actually get around to buying Assault for myself until 2007, so it wasn't until then I got to experience the single player mode. When I did, however, it made me fall in love with the series even more. It allowed me to get to know the characters outside of just Krysatl and Fox as well as go deeper into all of their characters. On top of the awesome gameplay and creative story, I knew this would quickly become one of my favourite games and to this very day it's easily in my top 10 along with Adventures. I'm confident that I'm going to enjoy Zero for what it is, I'm just grateful that Star Fox is back, but I still have my hopes that in a few years down the line, I'll get to experience that same nostalgia in a bigger and better game than Assault and of course get to finally see Krystal in dem beautiful HD graphics. :p though fingers crossed the latter might actually happen in the form of Smash

Aaaand fin~
*claps*

My first experience was Star Fox numba ONE! I was invited to a friend's house where many of my other friends were gathered. He dramatically unveiled what it is we were called there for and went on about how this was the greatest game ever made. Like, you need to understand that this game was a marvel for its time. Well, after we got the rundown, he popped in the cartridge and the rest was history. 3D graphics on an SNES! It was unreal. The stunts Fox pulled in that game equally unreal. Flying full speed through an asteroid belt while fighting a swath of enemy pilots to confront a rather imposing boss, who, by the way, seemed invincible to us then because "my bullets are bouncing off!" It was the bravest and stupidest act I had ever seen. I guess you could say I liked Fox immediately. At the end of every dangerous mission, he was smiling like it was another day at the office. There was no urgency whatsoever in his comm feeds. He was a cool and collected mercenary who had taken countless lives. In short, he made an already amazing game that much more amazing.

As you can see, SF 1 was MY 64. I still play it to this day. How does this link to Krystal? It doesn't. :secretkpop:

Last edited:

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
Here's what it bugs me this interview.

Host: Does that mean even if you wanted to add more female characters, Krystal didn’t have a realistic chance of being physically implemented into the game?

Sakurai: For Krystal, we didn’t have any of the technical modeling knowledge that we had cultivated with Fox and Falco, so it was like making a brand-new character from scratch. And because of the limited amount of time we had, creating Krystal wasn’t realistically possible. On that point, with Wolf we already have some knowledge of how to model his character, and would require about 70% of the effort required to create a whole new character.

Host: I see. But we did get a lot of questions like, “Why wasn’t Krystal a playable character?”

Sakurai: It’s not that I don’t understand how that feels, but if you start saying that, it becomes “Why isn’t Waddle Dee playable?” or Dry Bones, or Baby Peach. There’d be no end to it.

How can you possibly compare Krystal to the other three that are not even close as becoming fighters? I don't know why he said that.

Source: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/17/sakuraibrawlquestions/#more-1959[/quote
I think it was just meant to be a simple example of that people will always be asking the question "why wasn't this *insert character here* included" no matter how popular or "out there" the character is, there simply wouldn't be end for it.
I wouldn't try reading too deep into it, I mean he was already considering Krystal as a fighter, but problems arose.

Last edited:

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
*claps*

My first experience was Star Fox numba ONE! I was invited to a friend's house where many of my other friends were gathered. He dramatically unveiled what it is we were called there for and went on about how this was the greatest game ever made. Like, you need to understand that this game was a marvel for its time. Well, after we got the rundown, he popped in the cartridge and the rest was history. 3D graphics on an SNES! It was unreal. The stunts Fox pulled in that game equally unreal. Flying full speed through an asteroid belt while fighting a swath of enemy pilots to confront a rather imposing boss, who, by the way, seemed invincible to us then because "my bullets are bouncing off!" It was the bravest and stupidest act I had ever seen. I guess you could say I liked Fox immediately. At the end of every dangerous mission, he was smiling like it was another day at the office. There was no urgency whatsoever in his comm feeds. He was a cool and collected mercenary who had taken countless lives. In short, he made an already amazing game that much more amazing.

As you can see, SF 1 was MY 64. I still play it to this day. How does this link to Krystal? It doesn't. :secretkpop:
I'll have to get around to playing the first game. Would you say it's your favourite, or do you just credit it as the game that got you into the series?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'll have to get around to playing the first game. Would you say it's your favourite, or do you just credit it as the game that got you into the series?
Believe it or not, it's my favorite. I can pick it up and finish it quickly. It's challenging, it's fun and I'm looove with the music and the sound effects.

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
Believe it or not, it's my favorite. I can pick it up and finish it quickly. It's challenging, it's fun and I'm looove with the music and the sound effects.
I've still yet to play through the first star fox game, I died midway through... But I have played the unreleased star fox 2 (on an emulator), and I love it. It really does look incredible (for it's time ofc.), I'm always shocked how the SNES was powerful enough to run that game. It's a really big shame that game never got actually released...
I love the ability to choose a different pilot (I also liked this feature in SF command), rather than being forced to use Fox only, and that they have different stats and even abilities, which was just great.
If you guys haven't played it and don't mind the old graphics, I definitely recommend to give it a try!

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
First encounter with Star Fox:
Smash Bros. Brawl.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Krystal might not be Smashified next. Smashified haven't done a character from Star Fox already.
It could also be Zoroark, Dixie Kong, E Gadd, Anthony Higgins, Sylux, or Impa, all fit the criteria in addition to Krystal

darklink34

Smash Journeyman
It could also be Zoroark, Dixie Kong, E Gadd, Anthony Higgins, Sylux, or Impa, all fit the criteria in addition to Krystal
They did say to someone that the next character would be yellow. The person he commented to was complaining about color blue and why wasn't it yellow or something, so I'm not sure was he just joking. But if he meant it, then I'd say that it's probably going to be Dixie kong.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I don't see E. Gadd, Sylux, or Anthony Higgins being made since they are doing pretty requested characters and these aren't that requested (Seriously E. Gadd? Daisy and Captain Toad are requested more). And Sylux is a villain.
No Sylux wasn't in Prime Hunters, though Cranky Kong and Funky Kong fit that criteria too

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
If it turns out to be Kumatora, that to me will say they have a very high opinion of the fangame. Mother 4 is not a canonical entry in the series.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
My first experience with Star Fox was nearly two decades ago, with the original SNES Star Fox. Of course, I didn't play it at the time because I was too young to really play videogames all that well. I was at the age where I could watch and gain part of the experience, but I couldn't do that and play at the same time. And it was just that.

My dad was the one who would play through the game. I just sat by and watched, immersed in the universe created by this game.

Star Fox SNES isn't quite like SF 64. Sure, SF 64 is pretty much a re-imagining of the original SNES title, but SF 64 filled more gaps in by allowing the characters a voice and more lines to boot (in addition to better 3D modelling). The original Star Fox is more open-ended, requiring the player to fill in the gaps left by the game on their own, especially because of its limited design. That's just what I did.

For the time, the sound design and polygon 3D modeling in SF SNES was otherworldly. It left quite the impression on me. With a more simplistic approach than what's normally used today, it felt like it captured an element of outer space that modern games tend not to be able to capture: awe. Amidst the action and sound, Star Fox SNES left me in awe at how vast, empty, and intimidating space really is. You can "occupy" space with troops and whatnot, but you can't really "conquer" it. It felt that in this game, each second that passed without action was a reminder of that very notion. Perhaps the introduction of voice kind of took away from that experience, or perhaps that in combination of me growing up kind of dwindled the notion a bit... I couldn't be able to tell you, but the experience changed. Regardless, I followed Star Fox closely after that, and here I am today.

At that time I was a kid, so it's difficult to remember and translate those feelings with words.

Last edited:

Draxis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xShadowSladexx
So we are talking about our first experience with the Starfox series, ok here is my but it might be long.

So my first encounter with Starfox was when I play Starfox 64 when I was about 3yrs old and of course I like the game immediately since I watch disney movies a lot because I always find anthro character cool, loveable and charming.

After 4yrs I got bored of Starfox 64 and wanted a sequel, so when Christmas came and I open my presents, one them had a Starfox game which was SF Adventure. When I look at the boxart I stared at it in awe and was curious about the blue fox girl(Krystal) and then I put the disc in the GameCube and started playing it. When I started playing it I was excited but also surprise on how it started out and asking myself where is Fox and all the spaceships and lasers, I still play the game tho because I was curious and interested in Krystal(not that kind of interest) and on what she has to offer. After I finish Krystal's part I was disappointed because I didn't get to see her do much after she got trapped in a crystal but I still got excited when I played as Fox and after I beat the arwing part I got more excited by looking how beautiful dinosaur planet look on ground and how there are dinosaur everywhere and of course when Fox landed I thought was gonna use his blaster but then General Pepper told Fox not to use it and I was like really how am I gonna to protect myself but then I found Krystal's staff and then after using the staff on some sharpclaws I thought to myself that this was a cool staff. Afterwards, I kept playing the game and had lots of fun play it until I eventually pass the game( although I never pass the until 4 more years later because I sometimes give up for not solving the puzzles in the game and couldn't beat the stupid musclefoot challenge because it gets me so frustrated also I never really thought adventures was similar any zelda games because I was little and I never use the internet to find out about things).

So when I finish the I was disappointed that I couldn't play as Krystal at all since I thought she was really cool but then I went to a game store where it allows you to rent a game and that is how I encounter SF Assault and when I first played I thought it was really awesome how the game started out and it was cool to see Krystal on the team but a little disappointed that Peppy wasn't in his arwing and that he doesn't do much other then provide infos tho I understand why he isn't fighting(he is old). After I beat the game( although I didn't beat it until I was 14 since that is when I really got the game since the other one was a rental), so when I beat the game I mostly played with my two brothers on multiplayer where we had fun versing each other and yes I kept playing as Krystal and winning with her( but then I unlock Wolf :-P).

So yeah this is my Starfox experience and yeah I never actually consider Krystal to be in brawl because I didn't really care gets in and I didn't put more thoughts in to it but when smash bros 4 came and the ballot came I decided to support Krystal when I played SF Adventures again because I wanted to actually see her use her staff and to show people what she really can do and this is also how it lead me to this thread and I also support her because she is part of my childhood and to me a memorable character( and no I didn't have a crush on her when I was younger or even now because I will never have a crush on a female video game character, although I kinda develop a crush on one female video game character and I still do but I'm not telling and @TheLegendaryFoxFire profile pic kinda makes me be attracted to Krystal a bit but I'm not letting myself get a crush on her).

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Here's what it bugs me this interview.

Host: Does that mean even if you wanted to add more female characters, Krystal didn’t have a realistic chance of being physically implemented into the game?

Sakurai: For Krystal, we didn’t have any of the technical modeling knowledge that we had cultivated with Fox and Falco, so it was like making a brand-new character from scratch. And because of the limited amount of time we had, creating Krystal wasn’t realistically possible. On that point, with Wolf we already have some knowledge of how to model his character, and would require about 70% of the effort required to create a whole new character.

Host: I see. But we did get a lot of questions like, “Why wasn’t Krystal a playable character?”

Sakurai: It’s not that I don’t understand how that feels, but if you start saying that, it becomes “Why isn’t Waddle Dee playable?” or Dry Bones, or Baby Peach. There’d be no end to it.

How can you possibly compare Krystal to the other three that are not even close as becoming fighters? I don't know why he said that.

Source: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/17/sakuraibrawlquestions/#more-1959
I was going to respond to this in detail, but I'll basically just say, "what Darklink said".

First encounter with Star Fox:
Smash Bros. Brawl.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Krystal might not be Smashified next. Smashified haven't done a character from Star Fox already.
Well, lets see, they've done...

Klonoa
Rayman
Shovel Knight
Banjo Kazooie
King K. Rool
Travis
Inkling
Shantae
Bomberman
Isaac

Who of that group would reasonably have another character from their franchise done. All of them are main protagonists or a series icon like Inkling.... except K. Rool. DK is the one series of this group that's already ventured away from it's main protagonists. Not only that, but it actually has another character in it's franchise with significant support for Smash. Name one more character with significant support from any of the other franchises that Smashified has already represented. I think the next Smashified is Dixie, I'm about 90% certain. Who knows though, they could do a secondary Mother character, or a secondary Shantae character, or a secondary Shovel Knight character... it just seems much less likely. I can only really imagine another Mother character if not DK, and there's really no other Mother character with any significant support. But then, they did Travis, heh.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I was going to respond to this in detail, but I'll basically just say, "what Darklink said".

Klonoa
Rayman
Shovel Knight
Banjo Kazooie
King K. Rool
Travis
Inkling
Shantae
Bomberman
Isaac

Who of that group would reasonably have another character from their franchise done. All of them are main protagonists or a series icon like Inkling.... except K. Rool. DK is the one series of this group that's already ventured away from it's main protagonists. Not only that, but it actually has another character in it's franchise with significant support for Smash. Name one more character with significant support from any of the other franchises that Smashified has already represented. I think the next Smashified is Dixie, I'm about 90% certain. Who knows though, they could do a secondary Mother character, or a secondary Shantae character, or a secondary Shovel Knight character... it just seems much less likely. I can only really imagine another Mother character if not DK, and there's really no other Mother character with any significant support. But then, they did Travis, heh.
The next few characters are Nintendo characters.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282

Klonoa
Rayman
Shovel Knight
Banjo Kazooie
King K. Rool
Travis
Inkling
Shantae
Bomberman
Isaac

It could also be Octoling, not that I think it will be. I mean really, why would they get the Smashified treatment over more highly requested characters?
I don't see Kumatora happening either so I think it is going to be Dixie Kong as well.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It could also be Octoling, not that I think it will be. I mean really, why would they get the Smashified treatment over more highly requested characters?
I don't see Kumatora happening either so I think it is going to be Dixie Kong as well.
Could also be one of the Hunters from the Prime series (Which is underrepped in Smash), or Krystal (Adventures isn't repped at all)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
The next few characters are Nintendo characters.
You mean the Smashified team has confirmed that the next few Smashified characters (say 11-15) won't be third party characters but fully Nintendo characters?

@ jahkzheng jahkzheng I'm pretty sure they are gonna do Dixie Kong next which I'm ok with.
Likewise.

Dixie certainly is the safest bet. I agree and did state that it seems unlikely that they'd do a character with no significant support. Octlings are from a popular game now, but pretty much 99% of the support for Splatoon representation is on Inkling's shoulders. We know that the Smashified team doesn't necessarily follow logic however. Who really would've guessed Travis?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
You mean the Smashified team has confirmed that the next few Smashified characters (say 11-15) won't be third party characters but fully Nintendo characters?

Likewise.

Dixie certainly is the safest bet. I agree and did state that it seems unlikely that they'd do a character with no significant support. Octlings are from a popular game now, but pretty much 99% of the support for Splatoon representation is on Inkling's shoulders. We know that the Smashified team doesn't necessarily follow logic however. Who really would've guessed Travis?

Also this is a thing.

Draxis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xShadowSladexx
I hope Omni tries to finish whatever character he is working on(Dixie Kong), a bit faster so he can eventually get working on Krystal. Also I think the smashified team is asking who do want to smashified next( after number 11) on Twitter and is it ok if I ask some people who supports Krystal on miiverse to join this thread?

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
I hope Omni tries to finish whatever character he is working on(Dixie Kong), a bit faster so he can eventually get working on Krystal. Also I think the smashified team is asking who do want to smashified next( after number 11) on Twitter and is it ok if I ask some people who supports Krystal on miiverse to join this thread?
Ask away. The more the merrier.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

Also this is a thing.
Thanks for the links Spika. Nice to know this fact too. That bodes well for Krystal as 12 I guess.

@ IanTheGamer IanTheGamer

That second screencap Spika linked there shows why we're all guessing Dixie. The Smashified team has hinted that character 11 is a character from a franchise that they've already done a character from. Dixie is likely because they've done K. Rool.

Do what you want! It's their choice to come on over here however. I know some people are most comfortable in their "home sites". We're very welcoming to all Krystal supporters if they do choose to come though.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Thanks for the links Spika. Nice to know this fact too. That bodes well for Krystal as 12 I guess.

@ IanTheGamer IanTheGamer

That second screencap Spika linked there shows why we're all guessing Dixie. The Smashified team has hinted that character 11 is a character from a franchise that they've already done a character from. Dixie is likely because they've done K. Rool.

Do what you want! It's their choice to come on over here however. I know some people are most comfortable in their "home sites". We're very welcoming to all Krystal supporters if they do choose to come though.
btw its Pika not Spika. Like Pikachu.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm tired of this gimmick. They repainted Isaac's hair PINK in an attempt to trick everyone from picking up on the obvious. I think they should release the identity of the next character in queue from now on. They're not exactly Sakurai.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
btw its Pika not Spika. Like Pikachu.
So, Pokemans Pika? So it's pronounced "Peekah"? When I was saying Spika I was saying it like "Spykah". Pokeman "Spykah". I guess if I started pronouncing it right but kept the "S" in front, it would be "Speekah", which sounds kind of funny. I've been reading it as "Spykah" in my head for so long it'll be hard to adopt "Peekah", lol. Plus, I don't think of Pikachu when I see you. I think of Goroh and Swampert now and they have a "spikey" texture to them in my mind. It's all very complicated. If only I knew the truth sooner.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So, Pokemans Pika? So it's pronounced "Peekah"? When I was saying Spika I was saying it like "Spykah". Pokeman "Spykah". I guess if I started pronouncing it right but kept the "S" in front, it would be "Speekah", which sounds kind of funny. I've been reading it as "Spykah" in my head for so long it'll be hard to adopt "Peekah", lol. Plus, I don't think of Pikachu when I see you. I think of Goroh and Swampert now and they have a "spikey" texture to them in my mind. It's all very complicated. If only I knew the truth sooner.
Lol, I = Samurai Goroh, Swampert, and Yuyuki Goku.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I'm tired of this gimmick. They repainted Isaac's hair PINK in an attempt to trick everyone from picking up on the obvious. I think they should release the identity of the next character in queue from now on. They're not exactly Sakurai.
They should just come up with better hints. When they make things too obvious then they have to cover their tracks. Just be vague from the get go and make people guess more without the trickery.

Lol, I = Samurai Goroh, Swampert, and Yuyuki Goku.
In an online environment, it's easier to associate pictures with a poster rather than their words. All words here look the same. They're made up of the same alphabet. Your avatar is your ID... well, that and your name I guess. I also know you as the guy that posts all over the place and often goes back and forth over glass half empty or full with Ian. So I guess what you say, although not superficially unique, obviously has it's own character too. But it's not the thing that's easiest to make an association with. The picture is immediate. You get to know a poster's habits only after some time reading what they say.

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
In an online environment, it's easier to associate pictures with a poster rather than their words. All words here look the same. They're made up of the same alphabet. Your avatar is your ID... well, that and your name I guess. I also know you as the guy that posts all over the place and often goes back and forth over glass half empty or full with Ian. So I guess what you say, although not superficially unique, obviously has it's own character too. But it's not the thing that's easiest to make an association with. The picture is immediate. You get to know a poster's habits only after some time reading what they say.
If we are our profile pictures, I guess there's quite a few Krystal clones hanging around here, aha. Though in all seriousness that was actually really well written.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
@ jahkzheng jahkzheng @ T thief_of_demons alright I will and I already ask to supporters to join but they said they will think about it but that ok and I'm gonna ask Alfore next when she is online.
With Alfore, she's doing way more on Miiverse than she could do here, although I would be awesome to be connected with her here too at least a little bit here. I don't mind us spread out some and focusing on Krystal support in other places basically, and Alfore is our Miiverse champion right now. I wouldn't want to feel like we're trying to draw her away from that awesome responsibility. But if she can be here some of the time and it doesn't keep her away from Miiverse, it would be cool to have an easier way to just talk with a fellow Krystal supporter that's done so much like her.

Still assuming Alfore is a "her" just based on the Mii, but who knows. I don't.

Bone Conjurer

Smash Apprentice
In Prime 3, he does because of Phazon corruption
I can't belive Bandana Dork has more support than Krystal, and that poll has Goku and Shrek as options so this is illegit
Plus the Kirby series seems to be over-used in game-making these days, thought not as much as Mario, Zelda, or Pokémon.
If it turns out to be Kumatora, that to me will say they have a very high opinion of the fangame. Mother 4 is not a canonical entry in the series.
Yeah, making a Smashified for Travis was a waste of time, since there's no way he'll get in Smash. I would give Omni a middle finger for that.

Top Bottom