• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
She says she's the only one who can pull through in a fight. (Which is ironic, considering Slippy is the better fighter in Assault's multiplayer. :troll:)
Yesh, that.

And then her trophy talks about being a capable fighter. So, she's been at least RECOGNIZED by Sakurai. Which isn't bad.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Thought I would repost my Krystal moveset ideas. #Shamelessselfbumping

B Ground Quake: Krystal smashes the end of her staff into the ground, and a siesmic shock wave is released. The closer the enemy is to you, the more damage it does. If the opponent is close enough, they don't fly back, but are paralyzed in front of you.

>B Fire and Ice: Krystal points her staff in front of her, and shoots fire or ice. Tap for fire, and hold down for ice. these balls sort of float on the wind, and fall the the floor, so they move in a long diagonal angle. If touched by an ice ball, you'll freeze. The higher percentage, the longer your frozen. Same with the fire balls, except they burn you. The higher your percentage, the further the knockback of the burn. You can have two balls out at one point. When you shoot a third, the first explodes.

VB Psychic Insight: This is Krystal’s counter move. Like Marth or Lucario, Krystal closes her eyes as a purple aura surrounds her. She uses her powers as a Psychic to feel what the enemies next attack is, dodge it, and subdue them properly. When attacked in this state, she opens her eyes, makes a blocking motion of whatever attack is hitting her, pulls out her staff,and flips the opponent behind her with it

B^ Rocket Boost: Krystal launches upward, and slightly forward, holding the staff above her head with both hands. And at the height of her jump she brings the staff down, like a hammer, bashing the opponent. The attack does the most damage if the opponent is hit with the END of the staff, but being hit by say the middle of the staff will still do damage.

I'm looking to change her B, any suggestions?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
@shortie
I actually like the basic concept of your B- I'd change it so it has a laser sight and automatically fires after a couple seconds (and not before) during which you can slowly aim the laser. It's kind of important for enemies to be able to feasibly dodge it, especially if it's powerful enough to do a sniper rifle justice.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@shortie
I actually like the basic concept of your B- I'd change it so it has a laser sight and automatically fires after a couple seconds (and not before) during which you can slowly aim the laser. It's kind of important for enemies to be able to feasibly dodge it, especially if it's powerful enough to do a sniper rifle justice.
How do you like it now? Kept out the lazer pointer part because the rifle will act like an easier to maneuver fire cracker launcher. So you can sort of tell where the gun is aiming simply by looking at Krystal. Don't want to the move to be TOO PREDICTABLE, you know.

How do you feel about Tricky Rushdown and Lunge and Strike?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
How do you like it now? Kept out the lazer pointer part because the rifle will act like an easier to maneuver fire cracker launcher. So you can sort of tell where the gun is aiming simply by looking at Krystal. Don't want to the move to be TOO PREDICTABLE, you know.

How do you feel about Tricky Rushdown and Lunge and Strike?
Yeah, you're probably right about the laser pointer. Aiming like the cracker launcher but slower and with a smaller range of possible angles seems pretty much what I was thinking.

I personally feel like Krystal would be cooler without involving Tricky... having her summon a baby dinosaur might come off as silly, especially since he's a character that people don't really like that much on the whole.

Lunge and Strike... I can't really think of anything else for her to do, really. Did Fox/Krystal have some ability in Star Fox Adventures to jet up to higher ledges or something?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah, you're probably right about the laser pointer. Aiming like the cracker launcher but slower and with a smaller range of possible angles seems pretty much what I was thinking.

I personally feel like Krystal would be cooler without involving Tricky... having her summon a baby dinosaur might come off as silly, especially since he's a character that people don't really like that much on the whole.

Lunge and Strike... I can't really think of anything else for her to do, really. Did Fox/Krystal have some ability in Star Fox Adventures to jet up to higher ledges or something?
I edited it all so that her moveset revolves more around her and her staff's powers.

Anyone have an opinion?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I edited it all so that her moveset revolves more around her and her staff's powers.

Anyone have an opinion?
For kicks, I decided to go back and see what I put as her suggested moveset years ago in preparation for Brawl... Pretty dang similar to what you got now. Not sure if I agree with everything old-me put down, but whatever, here it is for comparison.

Well, heck, let me make another B moveset.

This one will be based off of Crystal Energy, the power left in her staff. All of her special moves draw from this energy, and when it is completely empty she can no longer do moves. The staff's power supply recharges by either dealing damage with her A moves or receiving damage. The percent recovered is twice the damage dealt/received, so a 3% attack against her would recover 6% of the staff's total energy.

B Up, ROCKET BOOST:
Takes half a second to charge up and then goes rocketing in the direction indicated. Different from Fox/Falco's move because it charges up faster and knocks enemies in the direction of the rocket blast, making it an effective killing move during aerial combat at high percentages.
Takes 10% of the total Crystal Energy. If there isn't enough, then Krystal pops forward just a little bit with a puff of smoke. Since she recovers energy from being damaged, the attack that knocked her off the stage should give her enough energy to recover though.

B Side, Ice Blaster:
After being activated, you can control its direction 360 degrees with the control stick. Also, you retain much of your mobility while spraying, except that you can't run. So, you could jump above someone and spray downward.
No knockback, damage is similar to Bowser's breath. Has a chance of freezing enemies as well that increases with higher percentages.
Each second of use 10% of the staff's total energy. Deactivates when Energy is exhausted.

B Neutral, Fire Blaster:
Krystal will automatically aim it at whatever enemy is closest and fires that semi-homing shot at them. Can be launched off about the same speed as Falco's shots in Melee.
No knockback until higher percentages, then it stuns like Falco's. Damages 2-3%. Very good and unique, as it can be fired upwards as well as it automatically aims at the opponent.
Uses 4% of the total Crystal Energy per shot.

B Down, Groundquake:
I personally think that Groundquake and Super Groundquake should be the same move, just charging it would make it more super. Uncharged, she slams the ground and it stuns and damages those who are standing near her, opening them up for another quick attack.
Charged, after 2 seconds or so, she jumps into the air and comes crashing down. Upon impact, debris is shot into the air, damaging those that are slightly over the ground. Instead of stunning, the stronger quakes will launch enemies into the air, and can easily KO. Of course, most enemies theoretically won't be stupid enough to be hit by the fully charged one.
IN THE AIR: She comes shooting downward until she hits the ground, where she completes her quake move upon impact. However, while charging, she will float in place until the button is released.
Uses 15% of your total Crystal Energy, regardless of how much you charge it. If the move is tried when there isn't enough energy, she won't be able to produce the quake (but she could still shoot downward in the air and damage those in her path)
Edit: You know what? I like Old qdMbp's moveset. Even the potentially dumb crystal power mechanic.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
LIKE that moveset a lot, besides the crystal mechanic.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
LIKE that moveset a lot, besides the crystal mechanic.
Pretty sure the crystal mechanic was put in because a lot of the specials that were being thrown around seemed a bit overpowered, and having a mechanic like that allows the specials to be OP since it essentially adds a shared cooldown. Also, I think it's mimicking a mechanic that was in StarFox Adventures? Is that how you charged up staff energy? It's been forever since I played that game.

Edit: If I were remaking it, I probably wouldn't have thought up the crystal power mechanic, and I probably would've let fire/ice be the same ability slot like you did while giving her the staff's force shield ability. That being said, I'm pretty okay with how that old moveset is as it stands too. All of these movesets seem pretty solid.

I'm personally fine with not implementing her psychic powers... Aren't they mostly just being telepathic more than anything else?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What a revolting statement.

Get out of here you ****.

Edit: If I were remaking it, I probably wouldn't have thought up the crystal power mechanic, and I probably would've let fire/ice be the same ability slot like you did while giving her the staff's force shield ability. That being said, I'm pretty okay with how that old moveset is as it stands too. All of these movesets seem pretty solid.

I'm personally fine with not implementing her psychic powers... Aren't they mostly just being telepathic more than anything else?
Yeah they are, that's why I like the idea of her having a counter vs her having a shield move. All the SF characters already have a shielding ability, ya know? Counter is just my personal choice.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah they are, that's why I like the idea of her having a counter vs her having a shield move. All the SF characters already have a shielding ability, ya know? Counter is just my personal choice.
Yeah, makes sense. I suggested a similar counter move for Shulk because he would get premonitions of the future, and it definitely makes even more sense for Krystal's telepathy as well.

It sounds like her appearances in the games after Star Fox Adventures were kind of... bleh, personality-wise. I like primarily representing her as a staff wielder instead of a heavy-tech user, psychic, or pilot. It seems like she never really uses her magical crystal staff again after Adventure. Weird... *I* would.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah, I like her as a staff user, but I don't really mind how she shows up, so long as she does.

Personally, anyways.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fire Blaster: Shoots a blast of fire from her staff. Rapid fire? Aimable? Maybe; fireballs are soooo boring!

Freeze Blast: These are, apparently, official names for the moves. I haven't played the game in years and to be honest it didn't impress me. Krystal twirls her staf around and creates a cloud of freezing air. Pretty Ice-Climbery.

Rocket Booster: BOOSTS like a ROCKET. Good height, but no manoeuvrability .

Sharpclaw Disguise: Now we're getting somewhere! There was no way I was going to finish this set with the "earthquake" so I managed to squeeze the disguise in. Not quite the same as Zelda's transformation, this would be temporary and short lived. Krystal puts on a Sharpclaw disguise and for the period it's active she only suffers 1% damage from attacks. The downside is that her movement is limited severely and she only has a simple dagger attack. That balances it a bit, right? Try to whip it out right before suffering a heavy attack? Maybe it needs to "recharge" between uses too.

Tricky Stampede: What do you have against Tricky? Yeah he was pretty annoying in Adventures but he was pretty awesome in Diddy Kong Racing though I'm not entirely sure they're supposed to be the same character. Still, for this Final Smash Krystal summons the dinosaur and rides him across the stage, shaking the screen and trampling anybody in his path.

By ProfessorFandango @ DevientArt
http://professorfandango.deviantart...18?q=gallery:professorfandango/31856694&qo=11

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Fire Blaster: Shoots a blast of fire from her staff. Rapid fire? Aimable? Maybe; fireballs are soooo boring!

Freeze Blast: These are, apparently, official names for the moves. I haven't played the game in years and to be honest it didn't impress me. Krystal twirls her staf around and creates a cloud of freezing air. Pretty Ice-Climbery.

Rocket Booster: BOOSTS like a ROCKET. Good height, but no manoeuvrability .

Sharpclaw Disguise: Now we're getting somewhere! There was no way I was going to finish this set with the "earthquake" so I managed to squeeze the disguise in. Not quite the same as Zelda's transformation, this would be temporary and short lived. Krystal puts on a Sharpclaw disguise and for the period it's active she only suffers 1% damage from attacks. The downside is that her movement is limited severely and she only has a simple dagger attack. That balances it a bit, right? Try to whip it out right before suffering a heavy attack? Maybe it needs to "recharge" between uses too.

Tricky Stampede: What do you have against Tricky? Yeah he was pretty annoying in Adventures but he was pretty awesome in Diddy Kong Racing though I'm not entirely sure they're supposed to be the same character. Still, for this Final Smash Krystal summons the dinosaur and rides him across the stage, shaking the screen and trampling anybody in his path.

By ProfessorFandango @ DevientArt
http://professorfandango.deviantart.com/art/SMASH-Krystal-316734918?q=gallery:professorfandango/31856694&qo=11

I didn't actually like that Fandango set as much... I really don't feel like Sharpclaw Disguise makes sense as a special, especially because the groundquake just makes sense as a down special.
It's a disguise, something you'd put on before running into your enemies. If somebody punched me then put on a wig in front of me I probably would figure it out.

What I think would be a more interesting use of the sharpclaw disguise would be as part of a Final Smash where Krystal jumps off stage. A moment later, a swarm of sharpclaw soldiers storm the stage and start attacking players... meanwhile, the player controls Krystal who has actually disguised herself among the soldiers and has more effective attacks than the AI soldiers. After awhile, the Sharpclaws retreat/are knocked off the stage and Krystal turns off the disguise to continue the fight.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I like the art a lot. But I would say the basic Fire Blast, Ice Blast, Earthquake, and Rocket Boost is her go to moveset.

Nice to see some faces in here.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Am I the only one that finds the above Kyrstal artwork slightly creepy?
I mean, I'll be honest... I find most Krystal artwork slightly creepy. I support her because I like how I imagine her playing and I think she's a good candidate for an extra SF character, but... Yeah. I do find her sexy art off-putting.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well that is fan art...

I think she's pretty for the most part

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I find the idea of a 4th Star Fox character a stretch, much like how I think a 3rd EarthBound character is a stretch too.

I can't deny Krystal has unique attributes that could make her stand out from the cast.

But there's another staff-wielding, female character competing with the blue fox...

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I find the idea of a 4th Star Fox character a stretch, much like how I think a 3rd EarthBound character is a stretch too.

I can't deny Krystal has unique attributes that could make her stand out from the cast.

But there's another staff-wielding, female character competing with the blue fox...
Who's that?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
By the way, that Sharpclaw disguise is awful. How the hell is that going to fool anyone in a fighting game?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Maybe the Sharpclaw disguise should literally be an alternate costume!

"I want to play a staff wielder but I hate female foxes... but how fun would it be to play a DINOSAUR with a warstick?"

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I just had an aneurism from the sheer stupidity I just read.

D

Deleted member

I don't see how they're competing with each other for a spot. They can both co-exist, but it's a matter of if Sakurai thinks both are worthy of a spot.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
By Star Fox naming routine, Krystal should be a shiny rock, not a fox. Disappointed.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
By Star Fox naming routine, Krystal should be a shiny rock, not a fox. Disappointed.
True. She shoulda been named something like "Vixy", "Vixyn", or "Vulpina". Or "Vulpix".

But, she does wield a crystal staff! So... Yep.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ah a Krystal staff. Alright I will let her name slide. I like Vulpina though.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm going to go on a whim and say that, while I would certainly enjoy Krystal's presence in the new game just because the Starfox characters are my favorite Smashers, I don't think she'll make it in. The issue is that she's still kind of a minor character in the franchise; she was important in Adventures, but that game was more Rareware than Nintendo (and originally wasn't even going to be Starfox.) Since Rareware is now with Microsoft, her most important game is technically "third party" even though Nintendo has the license for her character. In all subsequent games, she played very minor roles as another Slippy/Peppy but didn't add much to the games. Fox is the main hero, Falco is the popular sidekick (and second most relevant veteran), and Wolf is the rival with crucial ties to the story. Krystal is just a minor character still within the realm of her Nintendo license.

Although I suppose the same thing could be argued for Diddy Kong and King K. Rool, but they've been more significant to their respective series much, much longer than Krystal has.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The only way I think she'll be able to get in is by having a New Starfox game, starring her.
Well we're never going to get a SF game that stars her, the largest role she'll probably have would've been in Adventures. The most I can see for her is a role larger than the other SF members (other than Fox ofc).

She'd probably get in eventually if we had one or two new Starfox games that did fairly well and featured her prominently among the cast. That's my guess.

Since Rareware is now with Microsoft, her most important game is technically "third party" even though Nintendo has the license for her character.
No, her game is technically "first party" as Nintendo owns all the rights to it since it was part of an existing IP owned by them. Had it stayed as Dinosaur Planet, then it'd be third-party, and Nintendo wouldn't currently own any of the rights.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Krystal role isn't any more minor than Falco's, so I don't buy that statement. If anything, her role is a bit more important.

I've said this many times, and I'll say it again. She's got everything, it's just a matter of whether or not Sakurai adds her. She's popular enough, Important enough, and can "do" something.

Top Bottom