• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have a question for you guys, if a new character isnt introduced in the starfox family what do you see more likely to happen, 1) Fox, Falco, amd Wolf stay the same. 2) one gets dropped and the other two experience a move change. or 3) they get three with move changes.

I just don't even think its possible to see four characters at one time. but then again i never thought starfox would have more characters than f zero so what do i know.
1 is the most likely. Followed by 3. Then 2.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Starfox needs to go back to its roots and expand on that concept. The focus should be on vehicles with a variety of upgrades. Worlds should be more expansive and free to explore. The space critters should only get out of their ship to get into another vehicle (including unattended enemy vehicles).

And I hope the developing team could restrain themselves from adding cute dinosaurs.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I have a question for you guys, if a new character isnt introduced in the starfox family what do you see more likely to happen, 1) Fox, Falco, amd Wolf stay the same. 2) one gets dropped and the other two experience a move change. or 3) they get three with move changes.

I just don't even think its possible to see four characters at one time. but then again i never thought starfox would have more characters than f zero so what do i know.
I hope they could give Falco more variations on his Toward and Up B.

Wolf I hope gets specials that are not necessarily as obviously linked to his rival's specials.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I figure Fox, Falco and Wolf will further depart from one another, while still having similar roots. Does that make sense? What Brawl did for Falco and Ganon, I expect they will continue to do to all the clones.

I have a hard time visualizing four SF characters as well, but there truly isn't a rule that says "Only x amount of characters per franchise". I think it's just these limitations we put on our own viewpoints due to how much speculation we do. It's possible, regardless of whether or not it's probable.

The space critters should only get out of their ship to get into another vehicle (including unattended enemy vehicles).
Disagree. Some of the most fun in Assault for me was running around on foot blasting my friends away, and then being able to jump into any vehicle I want. Should it be more FOCUSED on vehicles? Sure. But the on-foot gameplay was a lot of fun IMO.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
@Shortiecanbrawl: I think Assault had the right idea but it was just executed poorly. The ground combat and weapons was generic and turning was slow. What I didn't like was the little diamond that tracker showed you where your opponents were on the map. You couldn't hide, snipe, or ambush people like you could in other games.

What I want to see in the SFWiiU is
1. Wii motion plus action: I really like the flying and sky diving shown in Wii Sports Resort and Skyward Sword and I think it would be great to add that in Starfox games.
2. Specialized Characters: Though Assault had this some what I want this expanded even more. I'm thinking something like Team Fortress 2 style in the ground combat but with vehicles.
3. Custom Arwings: In Command each character had their own specialized Arwings which I really liked but for multiplayer you should be able to customize your fighter.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why is it that in every thread related to Starfox we have some crazy fans demanding a reboot?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Why is it that in every thread related to Starfox we have some crazy fans demanding a reboot?
Truthfully, it stems from Adventure being so off the SF path, Assault being only decent, and Command being horrid. People usually equate Adventure to Krystal, and that is the big reason for Krystal hate. Command also really pushed the SF fans overboard by just being a bad game. Bad new characters, bad stories. (If you think Krystal is bad, meet all gems added in Command) some fans want to see these three games erased from SF history.

But it's really probably not going to happen.

@Rapier

I agree. I think command had that idea right. I don't neccisarily think the Arwings should look much different for each character. (Maybe each SF member's arwing has a small symbol/something about it to differentiate it from one another) But I DO think stats should be different per-character, especially in multiplayer. In multiplayer arwings should be completely customizable.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I guess some on-foot action is alright for a few missions. Just make the controls for the character similar for the Arwing. They could back-flip, somersault from side to side, shoot their hand held weapon, and lob a grenade.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as new Starfox characters, while I personally don't think we'll get one, I wouldn't mind Krystal. Sure, sometimes her fanbase can get annoying, but hey, all fanbases have their good and bad parts. That, and any annoyances in a fanbase are usually the result of a very vocal minority, anyway. A new Starfox WiiU would be awesome, though.

D

Deleted member

As far as new Starfox characters, while I personally don't think we'll get one, I wouldn't mind Krystal. Sure, sometimes her fanbase can get annoying, but hey, all fanbases have their good and bad parts. That, and any annoyances in a fanbase are usually the result of a very vocal minority, anyway. A new Starfox WiiU would be awesome, though.
Assuming she's in, I think Star Fox Wii-U has the potential to change Krystal's reputation; if of course the game is good and Krystal is made into a good character in the eyes of the majority.

All of this would probably be too late for Smash 4, but Star Fox Wii-U could boost her chances nicely for Smash 5.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Assuming she's in, I think Star Fox Wii-U has the potential to change Krystal's reputation; if of course the game is good and Krystal is made into a good character in the eyes of the majority.

All of this would probably be too late for Smash 4, but Star Fox Wii-U could boost her chances nicely for Smash 5.
I think Krystal has as good of a chance as Goroh, or Saki. They're the C list characters. At least that's what I think. I really believe Pre-Brawl stuff is going to have a lot to do with what we get in Smash4. Look at Brawl, the additions really weren't any characters who were RECENT. With the exception of Lucario. Toon Link, Pit, Dedede, Meta Knight, PT, ZSS, Olimar were all prior standing characters that were popular during Melee, or ones that were made popular on the GameCube.

She's not that bad off. Sure she isn't Ridley, or Palutena, but those types of characters are only gonna make up 5 - 8 slots on the roster.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If DLC is available, maybe Nintendo can have a poll on the next character to make after the game is sold. The winner is released as a downloadable character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Krystal has as good of a chance as Goroh, or Saki. They're the C list characters. At least that's what I think. I really believe Pre-Brawl stuff is going to have a lot to do with what we get in Smash4. Look at Brawl, the additions really weren't any characters who were RECENT. With the exception of Lucario. Toon Link, Pit, Dedede, Meta Knight, PT, ZSS, Olimar were all prior standing characters that were popular during Melee, or ones that were made popular on the GameCube.

She's not that bad off. Sure she isn't Ridley, or Palutena, but those types of characters are only gonna make up 5 - 8 slots on the roster.
Considering when Sakurai compiled the roster (late 05), I'd say Ike and Lucas were also pretty recent. Lucas's game wasn't even out yet. All in all I'd agree though, and it'll be interesting to see how much Brawl era popularity effects this roster, especially considering Sakurai didn't do a poll this time, but I suspect we'll only wind up getting a couple C-list characters, the majority will be A and B list, so the C-List competition will be pretty tight.

I'd rather see Krystal over Goroh and Saki, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if none of them made it. :ohwell:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm not tryng to blindly build her up, just calling it like I genuinly see it. IMO

A List additions:
Ridley, K. Rool, Mac, Third Party, Mewtwo

B List Additions:
Shulk, Palutena, Dixie, Takamaru, Isaac, Roy, Chrom

C List Additions:
Krystal, Junior, Toad, Goroh, Saki, Zoroark, Ghirahim, Tingle, Bandana Dee

And with quite a few of these characters, we have a lot against them just from Sakurai's habits/views/treatment of said character.

I see us getting 90% of th A list, 60% of the B list, and two to four of the C list. Out of the C list, she really is one of the better off characters. I may be missin a few characters, but, hey you get my drift.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not tryng to blindly build her up, just calling it like I genuinly see it. IMO

A List additions:
Ridley, K. Rool, Mac, Third Party, Mewtwo

B List Additions:
Shulk, Palutena, Dixie, Takamaru, Isaac, Roy, Chrom

C List Additions:
Krystal, Junior, Toad, Goroh, Saki, Zoroark, Ghirahim, Tingle, Bandana Dee

And with quite a few of these characters, we have a lot against them just from Sakurai's habits/views/treatment of said character.

I see us getting 90% of th A list, 60% of the B list, and two to four of the C list. Out of the C list, she really is one of the better off characters. I may be missin a few characters, but, hey you get my drift.
I would put Palutena in the A-tier personally.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
When I tried to think of Nintendo owned characters that SSB4 could add, I realized one thing: Krystal is the 1st place candidate! Whatever the criteria you use to weigh a character's chances for inclusion, Krystal passes the test:

- unique weapon/style (staff)
- plenty of possibility for specials
- female
- popular

I actually tried to avoid putting Krystal in my roster, but that just helped me realize how hard to it is to find more qualified newcomers. (Ridley is too big, Little Mac lacks obvious ideas for specials, King K Rool wouldn't exactly sell more copies, Toad is a Mario char when there are already 5, and Ghiramin is a Zelda char when there are already 4, etc) I'm not saying those chars won't be added, just that Krystal is next in line. I can bet you one hundred dollars she is getting in.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When I tried to think of Nintendo owned characters that SSB4 could add, I realized one thing: Krystal is the 1st place candidate! Whatever the criteria you use to weigh a character's chances for inclusion, Krystal passes the test:

- female
- popular

I actually tried to avoid putting Krystal in my roster, but that just helped me realize how hard to it is to find more qualified newcomers. (Ridley is too big, Little Mac lacks obvious ideas for specials, King K Rool wouldn't exactly sell more copies, Toad is a Mario char when there are already 5, and Ghiramin is a Zelda char when there are already 4, etc) I'm not saying those chars won't be added, just that Krystal is next in line. I can bet you one hundred dollars she is getting in.
Not funny troll is not funny.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

- female
- popular

While I wouldn't throw out those characters exactly, it's true she does qualify on pretty much every level. She's a decent candidate for sure.

D

Deleted member

@Final lap: Unique weapons, move set potentials and being females will do nothing to help Krystal get in. Popularity, sure, but unique weapons and move set potentials isn't something Sakurai cares about when deciding a character and let's be honest here, being female won't do anything and is a horrible way to gauge a characters worthiness.

If K. Rool won't sell many copies, neither will Krystal. K. Rool is among the Top 5 most wanted characters and is more well known than Krystal. Krystal is definitely not in the Top 5 and perhaps not even in the Top 10. Another thing is that K. Rool is near universally wanted whereas the community is divided on Krystal.

And please don't ever use the size argument. Read the Ridley OP thread as to why size isn't an issue.

Not saying Krystal isn't getting in, but she's far from guarantee. However, an argument could be made that she could fulfill Sakurai's four criteria.

@Shortiecanbrawl: Krystal is definitely a possibility for Smash 4, considering her massive popularity per-Brawl and retaining a decent fan base to this day. Having said that, I do feel as she's one of those characters that might have a better shot in Smash 5 if certain circumstances do occur.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Unique moveset is relevent, but only to Sakurai himself.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wow, this thread doesn't suck as usual right now.

Who's to say, really? Personally, I'd want 3 as that means more diversity.

I think the Starfox series should go for more a mercenary approach for the next game. I mean, these guys ARE mercenaries so it'd be cool to see them in different types of missions with an overarching plot. Don't get me wrong, I want the old school flight missions back, but I'd love to see some of the concepts introduced in Assault. Sniper missions, stealth missions, melee missions (Krystal missions?), and a mix of some would be cool too. I mean, we have Kid Icarus and Sin and Punishment to be compared to. Sin and Punishment is mostly a Nintendo Hard Starfox with anime characters while Uprising was definitely half Starfox. Increasing the differences while still being good would be ideal.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
I think having multiple genres in a single game is fundamentally a lousy idea. See also Werehog.

I don't want a rail shooter either. Those are irrelevant.
I think Star Fox should become a:
a) RPG (Pilotwings 64 + multiple planets)
b) racing game (not joking)
c) open flight game (i.e. Ace Combat) (but there may not be a market for this)
d) hybrid between open flight and rail shooter (for example, an open flight game with literally rails, in form of ether streams, placed all around the map that you can cling onto and be jettisoned along a preset course)

Another idea come to think of it is to make it an RTS and draw inspiration from that one Independence Day style level from SF64. Basically that level but you can freely switch control of any aircraft on your side, while giving orders to the rest.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think the Starfox series should go for more a mercenary approach for the next game. I mean, these guys ARE mercenaries so it'd be cool to see them in different types of missions with an overarching plot. Don't get me wrong, I want the old school flight missions back, but I'd love to see some of the concepts introduced in Assault. Sniper missions, stealth missions, melee missions (Krystal missions?), and a mix of some would be cool too. I mean, we have Kid Icarus and Sin and Punishment to be compared to. Sin and Punishment is mostly a Nintendo Hard Starfox with anime characters while Uprising was definitely half Starfox. Increasing the differences while still being good would be ideal.

I agree, I think bringing different aspects of gameplay into the franchise, while still keeping the main mode of play mostly arwing/ship based is ideal.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wouldn't mind Krystal, but the only way I would truly be okay with her in the game would be if there was a new GOOD Star Fox game. Otherwise, the series doesn't need anyone else at the moment.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Krystal would refresh Starfox reps. In my opinion, starfox characters must be:

1. Fox
2. Krystal
3. Andross

Maybe Falco and Wolf as downloadable content

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

1. Fox
2. Krystal
3. Andross

Where to begin.....

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That's quite the unique way to go about it. But I would have to completely disagree with that rearrangement. Falco and Wolf make sense to be in, but they just need better movesets. No reason to remove them imo.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, I mean, no? It's an interesting idea I suppose but I think Wolf and moreso Falco are pretty much set in Smash. Krystal's addition will likely be the only real StarFox possibility, and only will happen if these four get in. MOST LIKELY, anyways.

Of course there is always a SLIGHT possibility of Sakurai bring an ass and deciding to put Slippy in because of his love for 64, instead of adding the clearly more popular choice.

D

Deleted member

1. Fox
2. Krystal
3. Andross

I think Andross will be more suitable as a boss character. I rather have Falco and Wolf be on disc unlockable characters.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think Andross will be more suitable as a boss character. I rather have Falco and Wolf be on disc unlockable characters.
I imagined Krystal being a non-first reveal starter, like Dedede or Pokemon Trainer.

So you would start with Krystal and Fox, and unlock Wolf and Falco.

D

Deleted member

I imagined Krystal being a non-first reveal starter, like Dedede or Pokemon Trainer.

So you would start with Krystal and Fox, and unlock Wolf and Falco.
That's pretty much how I would imagine Krystal if she got in. For some reason, I just cannot imagine her as an unlockable. Maybe as one of the later starter reveals would be my guess.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That's pretty much how I would imagine Krystal if she got in. For some reason, I just cannot imagine her as an unlockable. Maybe as one of the later starter reveals would be my guess.
If we see Falco/Wolf become starters, that would be a positive indication for Krystal. But yeah, Sakurai has been making most unlockables veterans as of late, instead of making passed unlockables starters, and more newcomers, unlockable.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, that was really in Brawl. Never understood that as you'd be more surprised by hidden newcomers than hidden veterans unless it was someone that's been gone for a long time like Mewtwo or Roy.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Peppy was 42 in Starfox 64. That's as young as you're gonna see him.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I personally rather see a very fast peppy as a playable character (young peppy, not the old one they turned him into later)
Don't wanna sound cooky, but Sakurai seems to view Krystal as the only "one who's left who can fight". As she says that in her codec, after Slippy and Peppy comment about wanting to get in on the action.

Am I delusional to think that? I don't know, but it sounds like something that should be at least brought up.

D

Deleted member

She says she's the only one who can pull through in a fight. (Which is ironic, considering Slippy is the better fighter in Assault's multiplayer. :troll:)

Top Bottom