• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Stop making assumptions, why would Sakurai waste spots, and remember it could be Brawl footage that has been modded heavily, guys there's still hope, maybe Krystal will be in the Wii U version, and why would Sakurai choose a roster like the 3DS version, something ain't kosher here
It isn't you can see in the footage that characters like bowser play like their sm4sh counterparts, You can even see kirby doing his jab finisher in one of the videos and thevisual effects for moves are there, I Don't believe that can be done in brawl. Also Bowser Jr

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
They focused on new series that dont have the Starpower of the main franchises, is what I would reply. In any case I don't see this improper English you speak of, but I'm not a native so I will take your word for it. It is also true that it could be Krystal's classic trophy, which means we could get her SSB one as well as her FS.

But it's only a possibility and it isn't likely. Thankfully I wasn't considering her a shoe-in so it helps soften the blow somewhat, but remember that we might have DLC. If we don't and the roster is the same for both versions, then I will laugh because that would be poor marketing.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Usually when a roaster is leaked to this extent they just reveal anything, that's my experience from other fighters anyway.

Also a part of me is very glad Krystal is a trophy in the game because that means she is still revelent to the star fox franchise and I can't wait to see her in star fox wii u.

P.S. This super smash bros has the most disappointing roaster of the whole series.
AH, but we're forgetting...

There are 2 Smash Brothers that are coming--one for the 3DS, and one for the Wii U. All of these leaks pertain ONLY to the 3DS version. We have no idea what's happening for the Wii U version--and honestly, this is the substance of the marketing theory.

We won't see playtester leaks/ESRB review content of the Wii U version until the Wii U version is much closer to release.

If the Wii U information tells us otherwise, only then will the marketing theory be truly debunked.

I'm not giving up hope just yet.

After all, we were only ever accustomed to one Smash game releasing at a time, not 2 consecutive releases. In this sense, many people's reactions to the 3DS roster might be what Nintendo wants! They might want to pull the ultimate troll move--and they are succeeding if this is the case!

Nintendo may wait for the marketing of the Wii U version to truly surprise us Westerners.

Last edited:

Tipps4728

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tipps4728
AH, but we're forgetting...

There are 2 Smash Brothers that are coming--one for the 3DS, and one for the Wii U. All of these leaks pertain ONLY to the 3DS version. We have no idea what's happening for the Wii U version--and honestly, this is the substance of the marketing theory.

We won't see playtester leaks/ESRB review content of the Wii U version until the Wii U version is much closer to release.

If the Wii U information tells us otherwise, only then will the marketing theory be truly debunked.

I'm not giving up hope just yet.

After all, we were only ever accustomed to one Smash game releasing at a time, not 2 consecutive releases. In this sense, many people's reactions to the 3DS roster might be what Nintendo wants! They might want to pull the ultimate troll move--and they are succeeding if this is the case!

Nintendo may wait for the marketing of the Wii U version to truly surprise us Westerners.
I hope you're right, your theory is the only thing I'm really holding on to or Krystal being in Smash

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Why would Mario get eight reps, don't you think that is un- Sakurai-like
This is one of the very many things that has me suspicious about the roster gaps (franchise-newcomer wise) in the 3DS leaks.

It is also one of the many contributing points to the marketing theory.

I'm not saying the leaks are fake, btw. I believe they're real.

Last edited:

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Welp bad thing to come back too, at the very least I hope she gets in as DLC. Looks like the last person I'll be checking off of my wanted list is Shulk. Everyone else is probably SOL.

Sakurai, please give DLC a thought if you haven't already and put Krystal on your list if you do decide for DLC.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well it was fun. On the plus side we can start making out Smash 5 want lists.

Bandanna Dee... Krystal... Giant purple space dragon... Inkling...

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well if the 3DS version is true, I ain't buying it, probably the Wii U version, if it has a separate roster, which may be Nintendo's marketing strategy all along, make the 3DS roster pale in comparison to the Wii U version, and make Wii U Smash more enticing to increase Wii U sales

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
At first I was also going to buy both versions, but if nothing varies except for the stages and some modes, I think I'll do fine with only the wii u version. I just don't understand this strategy, here's to hoping Krystal will be on the Wii U version ! Or DLC on both.

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
At this point I doubt it guy's I think this footage is bull**** in so many ways first off wolf isn't returning and that's sakurais favorite star fox character and not to mention notice dr Mario yeah that is gonna have to be a alt so I doubt it this looks fake as well...

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I'm sad, but it'll be okay. The game will still be immensely fun to play.

(And if the leaks that tie together are all true, Dixie is playable, so I'll be happy)

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
If this is real I've lost faith in sakurai for not only not adding ridley and krystal but he removed wolf,added a clone no-one wanted back as a slot,****ing shulk!,and added another Mario character so if this leak is real fml

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Well if the 3DS version is true, I ain't buying it, probably the Wii U version, if it has a separate roster, which may be Nintendo's marketing strategy all along, make the 3DS roster pale in comparison to the Wii U version, and make Wii U Smash more enticing to increase Wii U sales
Well, that's not entirely what I had in mind for the marketing theory.

Here is an abridged run-down of the steps:
  1. Market for the 3DS version's sales by only giving information about the 3DS version--not about the Wii U version (leaving it in the dark, so that people wouldn't be as likely to pass up on the 3DS version's release). This was mostly done over the past couple years.
  2. The marketing for the 3DS version includes the character reveals--who mostly appeal towards the East. Get the East hyped up about the version that mostly propitiates their needs--since they're almost always on the move, they prefer their handhelds. This is inferenced from their sales on consoles vs. handhelds--especially in recent times.
  3. Release the 3DS version, which simultaneously crushes a lot of the dreams from Westerners who support franchise newcomers from franchises that have heavier influences in the West (DK, Metroid, Star Fox, Legend of Zelda, and "potentially" Kirby--though Kirby could be just Sakurai's decision since he created that franchise). Hence, the troll move by Nintendo--they could want to surprise us Westerners, though.
  4. Begin to release information about the Wii U version, since the 3DS version is finally released.
  5. Begin to build hype about the Wii U version.
  6. Surprise us Westerners by either the reveal of one of these newcomers (since there theoretically is enough time for one reveal to happen before the Wii U releases, in a direct nonetheless), or by the hidden inclusion of these characters in the Wii U version.
  7. Use a Nintendo direct, or, sometime generally closer to the launch of the Wii U version to finally detail how both the Wii U and 3DS versions will communicate/connect--including the transferring of certain characters that aren't initially on either version, to each version. This step would rock the Smash Boards forums. This would also allow both version to effectively have the same roster, as I've said before.
  8. A mini-step. Use the time they detail the exact communication/connections between the Wii U and 3DS versions to foster the potential East vs. West marketing strategy they might be alluding to. (Current allusions include the Reggie vs. Iwata thing [president of Nintendo America, president of Nintendo Japan--they didn't have to do this to show the Miis, you know], and color choices)
  9. Release the Wii U version.
  10. ...
  11. Profit!
There you have it. It's as summarized as I can get of the marketing theory, without detailing everything that could be pointing to it happening.

If you want, you can spread this around.

This is why I still have hope for Krystal--among other characters from franchises that have yet to get newcomers.

I'll say it again. This trophy could be just an Assault render of her. Both Fox and Falco had Assault trophy renders in Brawl too. Krystal could be a version-designated unlockable on the Wii U version--thus her fighter trophy won't appear on the 3DS version, yet.

Last edited:

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
Dixie? When was she leaked?

Hoping for DLC seems to be my go to with new video games these days

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
If this is real I've lost faith in sakurai for not only not adding ridley and krystal but he removed wolf,added a clone no-one wanted back as a slot,****ing shulk!,and added another Mario character so if this leak is real fml
The leaks don't have all the info, and they line up with old leaks that add Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, Chorus Men, and I think someone else? So I think you'll at least get Ridley.
Dixie? When was she leaked?

Hoping for DLC seems to be my go to with new video games these days
Basically all the leakers are saying there is more characters and a few old leaks (the one that leaked bowser jr in the clown car) basically tie Dixie And a few other characters into the leak.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Exactky
Well, that's not entirely what I had in mind for the marketing theory.

Here is an abridged run-down of the steps:
  1. Market for the 3DS version's sales by only giving information about the 3DS version--not about the Wii U version (leaving it in the dark, so that people wouldn't be as likely to pass up on the 3DS version's release). This was mostly done over the past couple years.
  2. The marketing for the 3DS version includes the character reveals--who mostly appeal towards the East. Get the East hyped up about the version that mostly propitiates their needs--since they're almost always on the move, they prefer their handhelds.
  3. Release the 3DS version, which simultaneously crushes a lot of the dreams from Westerners who support franchise newcomers from franchises that have heavier influences in the West (DK, Metroid, Star Fox, Legend of Zelda, and "potentially" Kirby--though Kirby could be just Sakurai's decision since he created that franchise).
  4. Begin to release information about the Wii U version, since the 3DS version is finally released.
  5. Begin to build hype about the Wii U version.
  6. Surprise us Westerners by either the reveal of one of these newcomers (since there theoretically is enough time for one reveal to happen before the Wii U releases, in a direct nonetheless), or by the hidden inclusion of these characters in the Wii U version.
  7. Use a Nintendo direct, or, sometime generally closer to the launch of the Wii U version to finally detail how both the Wii U and 3DS versions will communicate/connect--including the transferring of certain characters that aren't initially on either version, to each version. This step would rock the Smash Boards forums. This would, also allow both version to have the same roster, as I've said.
  8. A mini-step. Use the time they detail the exact communication/connections between the Wii U and 3DS versions to foster the potential East vs. West marketing strategy they might be alluding to. (Current allusions include the Reggie vs. Iwata thing [president of Nintendo America, president of Nintendo Japan--they didn't have to do this to show the Miis, you know], and color choices)
  9. Release the Wii U version.
  10. ...
  11. Profit!
There you have it. It's as summarized as I can get of the marketing theory, without detailing everything that could point to it happening.

If you want, you can spread this around.

This is why I still have hope for Krystal--among other characters from franchises that have yet to get newcomers.

I'll say it again. This trophy could be just an Assault render of her. Both Fox and Falco had Assault trophy renders in Brawl too. Krystal could be a version-designated unlockable on the Wii U version--thus her fighter trophy won't appear on the 3DS version, yet.
Exactly!!, Let's rally the troops, and raise the morale of us Cerinians,

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
The leaks don't have all the info, and they line up with old leaks that add Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, Chorus Men, and I think someone else? So I think you'll at least get Ridley.

Basically all the leakers are saying there is more characters and a few old leaks (the one that leaked bowser jr in the clown car) basically tie Dixie And a few other characters into the leak.
It's like a really am pissed at this dude for leaking it and also more mad at sakurai for adding dr Mario and shulk cause honestly not having a new star fox character seems weird right.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
It's like a really am pissed at this dude for leaking it and also more mad at sakurai for adding dr Mario and shulk cause honestly not having a new star fox character seems weird right.
It's sad, but this is also the first smash game that really has the option if making dlc characters, and since Sakurai hasn't spoken against it, it is actually likely. Don't get too upset, Krystal still has a slight shot. :)

Last edited:

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203

I can prove both leaks are false!!!

1. The movie clips can be easily created with Project M & the 3DS. Why these two because when the first clips of the new Smash Bros came to light people were modding Project M to look like the new game. Look on youtube I've seen plenty of videos that show Project M modded to look like SSB4. As for the 3DS remember when the news that someone created a mod for a gamecube controller to be used on the 3DS that made me think that it could be possible for someone to mod the 3DS to play Project M on it thus making it possible for leaker to make the pictures look authentic.

2. The leaked information it self. Why would such information given in such a sloppy way? You may think wait they made it that so Nintendo won't jump in and remove it. Think again Nintendo would remove leaked information regardless of it being tweaked because Nintendo wouldn't want the legit gameplay being seen yet. More evidence to prove this comes in the form of when Pokemon X & Y was in development. They were pretty tight lipped on information during its development. Also I'm pretty sure that Sakurai didn't apprectiate people leaking information on SSBB when it was in production (cough SSE cough).
The leaks are pretty much two big :troll: faces put out to piss fans off and to get reactions for their own amusement. Plus the way the leakers present their information looks very sloppy. Sakurai wouldn't let his masterpiece to be seen in such a poor state like that.

3. If you look at leaked trophy pictures at this (link:http ://imgur.com/a/PzeCw) You'll notice that Barbra's trophy lacks a description. Why would they leak this trophy out and not give a description like the other leaked trophies on the page. That's pretty suspicious to me because Sakurai would never forget something as simple as a description for a trophy. Plus the Krystal trophy is just photoshopped image of Krystal's brawl trophy in another position. Sakurai would never do such a thing like that with trophies except maybe take some trophies from Brawl and update their looks for the new games.

In the end Krystal is still alive my fellow Cerinians. We just have to wait for Sakurai confirm or destroy our vixen. After all Sakurai has the power to prove it as he is the almighty director.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

1. The movie clips can be easily created with Project M & the 3DS. Why these two because when the first clips of the new Smash Bros came to light people were modding Project M to look like the new game. Look on youtube I've seen plenty of videos that show Project M modded to look like SSB4. As for the 3DS remember when the news that someone created a mod for a gamecube controller to be used on the 3DS that made me think that it could be possible for someone to mod the 3DS to play Project M on it thus making it possible for leaker to make the pictures look authentic.

2. The leaked information it self. Why would such information given in such a sloppy way? You may think wait they made it that so Nintendo won't jump in and remove it. Think again Nintendo would remove leaked information regardless of it being tweaked because Nintendo wouldn't want the legit gameplay being seen yet. More evidence to prove this comes in the form of when Pokemon X & Y was in development. They were pretty tight lipped on information during its development. Also I'm pretty sure that Sakurai didn't apprectiate people leaking information on SSBB when it was in production (cough SSE cough).
The leaks are pretty much two big :troll: faces put out to piss fans off and to get reactions for their own amusement. Plus the way the leakers present their information looks very sloppy. Sakurai wouldn't let his masterpiece to be seen in such a poor state like that.

3. If you look at leaked trophy pictures at this (link:http ://imgur.com/a/PzeCw) You'll notice that Barbra's trophy lacks a description. Why would they leak this trophy out and not give a description like the other leaked trophies on the page. That's pretty suspicious to me because Sakurai would never forget something as simple as a description for a trophy. Plus the Krystal trophy is just photoshopped image of Krystal's brawl trophy in another position. Sakurai would never do such a thing like that with trophies except maybe take some trophies from Brawl and update their looks for the new games.

In the end Krystal is still alive my fellow Cerinians. We just have to wait for Sakurai confirm or destroy our vixen. After all Sakurai has the power to prove it as he is the almighty director.
Exactly, that actually sounds legit, let's rally the troops

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I know it's not the place to talk about the leaks, but it has been confirmed that no one truly knows the entire roster as of now, so don't let go of your hopes too soon. No one knows if Dixie / Mewtwo / Chorus Kids are part of the roster, however the rest is mostly true I'd wager.

So there's still a chance Krystal and Wolf are among these characters we dont know of, not to mention DLC as a possible alternative.

D

Deleted member

The only thing that bothers me about the trophy description is this

She and Fox also became romantically involved, but no idea if her telepathic abilities were useful there as well
no idea if her telepathic abilities were useful there as well
I guess getting the distress signal from Sauria in Assault doesn't count as useful. May as well leave Tricky & the Earthwalkers to die!

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Guys I know it's a little unreleatted but a new song called guts over fear by eminem was shown today and it describes us a bit like how some of us wanted her since her debut and how we won't stop

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

Mmm, not sure I agree with the Krystal part.

Someone would have to go into the trophy models and re-rig her to alter the positions of her arms from her Brawl trophy position. They're different arm positions.

However, as I said, the marketing theory can still exist.

I'm waiting for more info.

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Sorry you guys who are still trying to fight for hope- but at this point the leak is pretty much 99% solid I'd say.
I'm highly doubting that this many > http://imgur.com/a/PzeCw < screenshots were shopped- and the fact that Nintendo swiftly removed all video footage of the leaks just kind of further solidifies this.
I would suggest just accepting it at this point, so you can begin coming to terms with the fact that she isn't playable in this game.

I know, it hurts- I'm right there with you because she was my most wanted character and she missed the boat again... First Brawl, now Sm4sh. I kind of know how Ridley fans feel now. >_<

It looks like all we can do is hope that either the Marketing theory is true- or that she still stands a chance of being DLC somewhere down the line, and this character trophy doesn't destroy her chances at that.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Well I would've rather learned when it came out then this way....cause I just feel this is fake

Weavel

Smash Ace
Sorry you guys who are still trying to fight for hope- but at this point the leak is pretty much 99% solid I'd say.
I'm highly doubting that this many > http://imgur.com/a/PzeCw < screenshots were shopped- and the fact that Nintendo swiftly removed all video footage of the leaks just kind of further solidifies this.
I would suggest just accepting it at this point, so you can begin coming to terms with the fact that she isn't playable in this game.

I know, it hurts- I'm right there with you because she was my most wanted character and she missed the boat again... First Brawl, now Sm4sh. I kind of know how Ridley fans feel now. >_<

It looks like all we can do is hope that either the Marketing theory is true- or that she still stands a chance of being DLC somewhere down the line, and this character trophy doesn't destroy her chances at that.
Guess you could say Sakurai is his own person, he'll add or take away whatever he wants despite fan outrage or applause.

I genuinely feel that despite his passion for trying to wow us ect that shut off the voices for the most wanted characters. A big part of the roaster now is just clones and new comers who lose tremendously in demand compared to characters like Ridley or K rool for example.

The Shulk fans got their wish but he is also well liked in japan as well, I'm not sure how the acclaim with the west is with his game but I very much feel like he considered the wishes of the west being worth very little to nothing at all.

This roaster is just terrible.

But besides that we should be happy! It means Krystal is still relevant to star fox and that we can still expect her in future games!

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Krystal's pose in that trophy is totally boss. Once again, we wait for more info. I bet Sakurai is on the verge of snapping. He shouldn't have dilly-dallied with those pics of the day, because of course a game of this magnitude will leak the month before launch.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Mmm, not sure I agree with the Krystal part.

Someone would have to go into the trophy models and re-rig her to alter the positions of her arms from her Brawl trophy position. They're different arm positions.
Its called someone is a amateur video game designer/programer who knows how to manipulate certain files from the game in photoshop to create said trophy.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Can this guy reveals who he is and how he has a copy....a little suspicious....but none of the less I'd likely beat the **** out of him

Tipps4728

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tipps4728

Feeling the exact same way. If I can come to terms sooner then if she does happen to show up, I'll be ecstatic but for now I've lost hope I think

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Guys, remember that until Sakurai OFFCIALLY disconfirms her, Krystal is still alive and well, Arcanine is right, something definitely ain't adding up, and I doubt Sakurai would give Mario 8 reps, along with adding in Dr. Mario, whom Sakurai didn't want in Brawl,

ChainsOfDusk

Smash Cadet
Good news perhaps, apparently the leaker screwed up and was confimred to be from Brazil (which, mind you, as far as I know has no ties to ESRB or Nintendo). Currently a hot topic on SSB4 reddit, but I'm still looking over it.

(Edit: A quote from the reddit below)

The link links to a GameFAQs post with a link in it linking to an image.

This image has been enhanced to highlight the word on display device. Googling this display device shows that it's a Brazillian brand. The Youtuber's account is also Brazillian. Nintendo has no reps in Brazil and I'm sure they have a list of all the people they've sent copies too pre-release.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys, I hope you're all right, but I'm still hanging from the edge as far as Krystal goes.
I'm all good. If you're not feeling well after those news, just have a chat with me or something! I wouldn't want to see you guys like this.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Guess you could say Sakurai is his own person, he'll add or take away whatever he wants despite fan outrage or applause.

I genuinely feel that despite his passion for trying to wow us ect that shut off the voices for the most wanted characters. A big part of the roaster now is just clones and new comers who lose tremendously in demand compared to characters like Ridley or K rool for example.

The Shulk fans got their wish but he is also well liked in japan as well, I'm not sure how the acclaim with the west is with his game but I very much feel like he considered the wishes of the west being worth very little to nothing at all.

This roaster is just terrible.

But besides that we should be happy! It means Krystal is still relevant to star fox and that we can still expect her in future games!
Ridley and K.Rool were a pipe dream to begin with (Ridley more than K.Rool) and this roster is certainly not terrible. Don't get me wrong most of the newly revealed characters in this leak were god awful choices (excluding Bowser Jr) but the rest of the cast looks to be pretty good and great choices. We still don't have 100% confirmation on this leak so hold onto hope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom