• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
In order of most likely to be cut:

Pokemon Trainer (Confirmed)
Snake
Ike
Wolf
Lucas

Everyone else is safe.

Dairz

Smash Ace
I'm pretty confident Wolf, ROB, Lucas, and Ike will be returning. With all the veteran updates were seeing, it seems likely Sakurai would just change up the "clones" a bit.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
In order of most likely to least likely:

Pokemon Trainer (all but explicitly stated at this point)
Snake (Practically deconfirmed, since Kojima himself has said there haven't been talks)
Wolf
Ike / Lucas (same likelihood in my opinion, and honestly, that likelihood is FAR less than the above 3)

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Survival tier list: (includes melee vets)

S Tier: Absolutely no reason to cut:
Captain Falcon
Ness OR Lucas

A Tier: Very difficult to warrant a cut:
Jigglypuff
Ness (alone)
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch

B Tier: Could possibly be cut, but quite unlikely:
Metaknight
Wario
Falco

C Tier: Definitely at risk:
Wolf
R.O.B.

D Tier: Serious contender for cut:
Ike
Lucas
Snake
Mewtwo

F Tier: Effectively no chance of returning:
Pichu
Doctor Mario
Roy
Young Link
Pokemon Trainer

I'd say 10 of these get excluded, meaning 5 D Tier +.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

S Tier: Absolutely no reason to cut:
Captain Falcon
Ness OR Lucas

A Tier: Very difficult to warrant a cut:
Jigglypuff
Ness (alone)
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch

B Tier: Could possibly be cut, but quite unlikely:
Metaknight
Wario
Falco

C Tier: Definitely at risk:
Wolf
R.O.B.

D Tier: Serious contender for cut:
Ike
Lucas
Snake
Mewtwo

F Tier: Effectively no chance of returning:
Pichu
Doctor Mario
Roy
Young Link
Pokemon Trainer

I'd say 10 of these get excluded, meaning 5 D Tier +.
I think Wario and Meta Knight should be in A.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Meta Knight and Wario are going nowhere.

Lucas, Ike, Snake, Falco and Wolf are the only veterans unconfirmed that I see being potentially at risk. Could see Lucas/Ike/Wolf being the victim of time constraints, especially since Earthbound seems slow on the news and Fire Emblem is most likely getting a new rep which could push Ike back ala Roy in Brawl.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I would have to say Falco. Between him and Wolf, Falco is the one that seems too similar to Fox.

I know he is popular, but I would prefer if he was more diverse than Fox.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Ike, Lucas and Falco in my opinion.

Custom movesets are why I think this. In the direct, we saw Marth's Shield Breaker go horizontally and I know I'm not the only one who was reminded of Quick Draw. The differences between Ness & Lucas and Fox & Falco aren't big enough for me to think that one can't customize the moveset of the original character to replicate the other.

Last time I posted here, my guesses were ZSS, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucas, Wolf, and Snake.

Looks like I was wrong about Zero Suit Samus. My main reasoning was that they'd cut all transforming characters because of the havoc they'd wreak on the 3DS's memory. (The reason I spared Sheik is because a viable solution would be to always reserve enough memory for Sheik, if Zelda appears in the battle, or vice-versa.) I didn't expect that they'd just make the transforming characters standalone, so there's a neat compromise.

Ivysaur and Squirtle aren't explicitly disconfirmed, but if they were in the game, I imagine they'd still be shown off along Charizard, and they weren't.

If the main focus is on fighter distinctiveness, I stand by my opinion that Lucas and Wolf are way down there on the task list. Sure, they could get updated specials to make them less derivative, but I'd sooner use that creativity to make new moves for new characters. Again, I don't dislike those characters; in fact, I was the most hyped about Wolf than any other Brawl character.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I would have to say Falco. Between him and Wolf, Falco is the one that seems too similar to Fox.

I know he is popular, but I would prefer if he was more diverse than Fox.
Well with what we've seen of other vets I think Falco definitely will have updated moves.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
Can someone explain to me why R.O.B is such a popular choice for cut character predictions? He has a totally unique moveset and he represents a part of Nintendo history just like Mr Game & Watch. Seems pretty safe to me.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

S Tier: Absolutely no reason to cut: Lucas
This post is going to be painful in hindsight... Lucas has a very good chance at getting the axe.

I did on page seven... :c
I stand corrected! I wanted it to happen but I never took it as a serious possibility. I always assumed PT was either coming back or getting cut entirely (including Zard). SOOO glad I was wrong. ^.^

Last edited:

Swift Fox

Smash Lord

I think Falco and Snake will go for two reasons:
-Fox and custom movesets
-Still no presence of Snake and any MGS contents ever since (and various other reasons I don't wanna bother mentioning here)

The number of slots seem to be a lock so I'm having a feeling there will be 2 or 3 more cuts besides 2 already cut veterans (Ivysaur and Squirtle). Swap the characters between the two/three cut and the rest slots whatever you see fit.

Last edited:

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
Pokemon Trainer (Pretty much confirmed)
Snake (Kojima asked Nintendo to please bring back Snake in Smash 4, but Kojima is as much of a troll as Sakurai is, so he probably is back)
Falco - Has a chance since he is a Fox clone pretty much (correct me if I am wrong)
Ike - He will suffer the same fate as Roy if Chrom is indeed in.

MAYBE Lucas, but I don't see Lucas being cut since Toon Link isn't cut, so I think Lucas is back.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
When will you guys finally learn the 2 golden rules?

In 64? In every game no questions asked.

Were they in Melee and Brawl? In.

These rules are absolutely golden.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
You guys are way too confidant in Jigglypuff and not nearly confidant enough in ROB. I don't think I get it. Don't give me this "Jigglypuff is an All-star because she's been in eah one" either. Her inclusion is hardly sensical anymore.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
You guys are way too confidant in Jigglypuff and not nearly confidant enough in ROB. I don't think I get it. Don't give me this "Jigglypuff is an All-star because she's been in eah one" either. Her inclusion is hardly sensical anymore.
Jigglypuff is popular in Japan. That's it. The new fairy type also gives her new relevance.

I'm most worried about Snake and Ike honestly. Snake because of the Kojima comment, and Ike because of Chrom's imminent confirmation. I can't justify THREE blue haired FE swordsman. Ike may go the way of Roy.

While I think Lucas and Wolf may be cut, it seems less likely to me somehow.

Every other veteran I think it firmly safe (except Mewtwo, who's still a mystery).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At this point, the only characters I doubt anymore are Wolf and Snake with my doubt of Wolf being a shadow of its former self. When this game was announced, I had strong doubts about Lucario, Snake, Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, Lucas, and Ike but given how Sakurai has handled the characters this time around, I doubt the cuts will exceed four with Squirtle and Ivysaur already taking a dive. In the grand scheme of things, Squirtle and Ivysaur weren't even true cuts. In Brawl, Pokemon Trainer was pretty much a composite character of three Pokemon. With Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS, you were never forced to play as one form and the player could choose who they went with. With PT, this wasn't the case. If you played PT, you HAD to learn how to play as all three because, to the dismay of PT mains, you couldn't just reasonably skip to your best one and stay with them thanks to the stamnia mechanic and forced switching. Charizard was easily the best of three. Ivysaur was hilariously bad and the only thing that kept Squirtle from being disposable was a few decent matchups thanks to its gimmicks. This all being said, I don't think of Squirtle and Ivysaur being cut but simply "trimmed" from Charizard. Charizard was always the key Pokemon. Charizard was the one that got the kills. Charizard was the one that could reasonably hold its own and didn't have any glaring weaknesses like the other two. Charizard was the one that was by far the most popular of the three. This being said, it was a smart choice to make Charizard solo and this decision has significantly eased my doubts about most of the remaining veterans.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

-Fox and custom movesets
-Still no presence of Snake and any MGS contents ever since (and various other reasons I don't wanna bother mentioning here)

The number of slots seem to be a lock so I'm having a feeling there will be 2 or 3 more cuts besides 2 already cut veterans (Ivysaur and Squirtle). Swap the characters between the two/three cut and the rest slots whatever you see fit.
I'm also wondering why people aren't talking more about the effect custom moves might have on clones.

Really, preset custom move sets + alternate costumes (which we are seeing more of) could replace a few clones.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Cuts: Ivysaur, Squirtle, Ike (one of Marth's custom moves looked like Ike's side special move), Lucas (Ness could easily take Lucas's specials via custom moves), Falco (Fox could easily take Falco's specials via custom moves), Snake

Revamped: Wolf, Ice Climbers (now only one Ice Climber due to 3DS limitations with multiple characters), Ganondorf (no longer a Captain Falcon clone)

All just my opinion...

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I think Wario and Meta Knight should be in A.
I had to split the A and B groups up, which was really hard to do. Falco and Metaknight are both "extra reps" and Wario is spin-off, whereas the A tier is made up of long-term reps who either represent their own franchise, are Ganondorf, or are Jigglypuff. I feel like Jiggs could plausibly go in my B Tier. It was pretty hard to create that list.

This post is going to be painful in hindsight... Lucas has a very good chance at getting the axe.
Good thing I didn't say "Lucas" in S Tier; I said "Ness OR Lucas" as in, the chance of not having an Earthbound rep, regardless of which of the two listed it is, is basically nonexistent in my view. Lucas is all the way down in D Tier, and Ness is in A tier. Combined (at least one staying) is S tier, imo.

Last edited:

MySmashmains6

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb4sonicrules
Cuts: Ivysaur, Squirtle, Ike (one of Marth's custom moves looked like Ike's side special move), Lucas (Ness could easily take Lucas's specials via custom moves), Falco (Fox could easily take Falco's specials via custom moves), Snake

Revamped: Wolf, Ice Climbers (now only one Ice Climber due to 3DS limitations with multiple characters), Ganondorf (no longer a Captain Falcon clone)

All just my opinion...
Just because a character has a similar move doesn't mean they're cut. You are too quick to write off Snake which sickens me. Fire Emblem can easily get a 3rd rep. Ike's whole move set is different from Marth. Lucas can get a new move set. Same with Falco. The only things harming Snake's chances are time constraints and licencing issues.

Sorry I didn't catch the opinion part.

Last edited:

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
Not Leaving: Ganondorf, Metanight, Wario, Ness
50/50 : Puffs, Captain Falcon, Falco
Risky: Rob, Lucas, Ice Climbers
Mucho Risky: Wolf, Ike
I Don't See It Happening: Snake, Ivysor, Sqirtle, Pichu, Dr Mario, Roy, Young Link
Dead: Poketrainer

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Guaranteed: C. Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff
Highly Possible: Falco, Meta Knight (albeit nerfed), Wario
Possible: R.O.B., Mr. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Ike
Lucky: Lucas, Wolf, Roy, Mewtwo, Snake
Gone: Squirtle, Ivysaur (only because of the massive number of Pokemon reps), Pokemon Trainer

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
...Why do people think the ICs have any chance of leaving? Our favorite polar bear in purple trunks is in Smash Run.

Anybody who puts Wario at anything less than a shoe-in is kidding themselves since we've seen two Wario related assists and his logo in the direct.

Jigglypuff... Hard to say. On one hand, she's one of the original twelve and we know there's items that induce sleep. On the other, she could of nearly been on the chopping block in Brawl being one of the last characters in the data and being one of the last unlocks. But we also got Toon Link back... 80% chance of returning IMO.

R.O.B. is in the same situation as G&W was back before Brawl, everybody thought he'd be cut and behold, he wasn't. Still, since alot of people want him cut, it could still happen. 70% chance of returning.

Ness and Lucas... Ness is basically confirmed being one of the original twelve and Mr. Saturns and Franklin Badges being confirmed. Lucas though... he has a very significant hatedom in Japan, as his game is a base-breaker and Lucas's story is one of the key complaints. 99% for Ness, 40% for Lucas.

Falco and Wolf's chances hinge on if the other gets in or not. 90% for one, 20% for two.

Ike, again, depends if another character gets confirmed, albit not as much as Lucas, Falco and Wolf. If we see, say, Chrom and he has any moves like Aether or Quickdraw Ike's chances are like 20%. If we see Chrom and he has a completely new moveset, 70%, but if we then see another FE newcomer, it's down to 10%.

Dairz

Smash Ace
People are saying the custom movesets could be bad new for clones.... I disagree. Think of it on the flip side- clone characters can change specials to further differentiate themselves from the orginal. Wow! And I seriously doubt characters will get customization options to make themselves more like their clones.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724

-Fox and custom movesets

:falco: No. :snake:YES! :squirtle:and :ivysaur:Cut.

Top Bottom