• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
.....I...........just stop. That's like arguing that aliens live below Rio...can't be disproved but the ramblings of a lunatic.

You're the one who missed the conclusions drawn....

I just explained how TTS probably helped Kojima's cause for Brawl, and what good did that do?
Mgs3d was released two years ago for the 3ds, so apparently that's chopped liver now?
Oh, calling it a port? Nice to see you haven't even picked up the damn game.

You weren't even around then, i never saw you on the snake thread, don't even try that.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Mgs3d is considered a killer app for the 3ds, so apparently that's chopped liver now?

You weren't even around then, i never saw you on the snake thread, don't even try that.
15-20 FPS, $40 compared to as part of what was then $60 MGS HD collection with MGS2, MGS3, MG, MG2, and Peace Walker for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. This is coming from someone who bought the 3DS port, it's not the best version and an 8-year old (at the time) PS2 game for killer app?

Doesn't mean anything....neither were you, unless your previous account was banned for being you.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
15-20 FPS, $40 compared to as part of what was then $60 MGS HD collection with MGS2, MGS3, MG, MG2, and Peace Walker for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. This is coming from someone who bought the 3DS port, it's not the best version and an 8-year old (at the time) PS2 game for killer app?

Doesn't mean anything....neither were you, unless your previous account was banned for being you.
The FPS dropped in cutscenes, and that's about the only problem i've seen.
All models are updated, mechanics from mgs4 are added as well as Nintendo easter eggs added into the game, it's just like twin snakes in those regards. I own both the hd collection and mgs3d and i prefer the sharper gameplay and portability over visuals 100%.

Oh, yes i was. Nice Try, but lying will get you nowhere

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
15-20 FPS, $40 compared to as part of what was then $60 MGS HD collection with MGS2, MGS3, MG, MG2, and Peace Walker for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. This is coming from someone who bought the 3DS port, it's not the best version.

Your using the quality of the game as part of your argument? Please, if that were the case sonic would be in dire straights. Why do you think nintendo or sakurai himself would look at these examples as justification for his exclusion? They wouldnt, its ridiculous to think they are counting titles/said quality of them and the such for anything like this.

Also there was a bundle, which many other series cant claim they have had with a nintendo system

Third parties cant be 100% loyal, its the nature of the industry for them to be on many platforms. You cant fault konami for that, when for the most part the company has been with nintendo since the beginning.

R0Y

Smash Master
The FPS dropped in cutscenes, and that's about the only problem i've seen.
All models are updated, mechanics from mgs4 are added as well as Nintendo easter eggs added into the game, it's just like twin snakes in those regards. I own both the hd collection and mgs3d and i prefer the sharper gameplay and portability over visuals 100%.

Oh, yes i was. Nice Try
If you say so.

Wait... Snake thread from this year? Come on.....So if I wasn't in that thread....LOL

Snake won't be in, don't worry.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

And Snake will probably be cut, lol.
Hi Kojima, can you tell me why you aren't making any Wii U games then? Oh wait, you aren't Kojima so you wouldn't know.

Snake's been practically confirmed by Kojima anyway, others have already linked the interview I'm referring to.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
If you say so.

Wait... Snake thread from this year? Come on.....So if I wasn't in that thread....LOL

Snake won't be in, don't worry.
The official smash 4 Character discussion thread for snake that was posted in 2012.

Like i said, i've only seen the fps drop during cutscenes, notably with the pain and otherwise it's barely noticable if it even happens. Of course it's going to be a lower quality when it's made to be displayed on the 3ds resolution. Why am i even arguing the quality of the game? It was redone for the 3ds, and that's all that matters. You can argue that the essentials collection version of mgs1 was better than the twin snakes or that the pc version was better, but it won't matter.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
The official smash 4 Character discussion thread for snake that was posted in 2012.

Like i said, i've only seen the fps drop during cutscenes, notably with the pain and otherwise it's barely noticable if it even happens. Of course it's going to be a lower quality when it's made to be displayed on the 3ds resolution.
What does that have to do with anything though, you posted this year in the Snake thread, congratulations. I posted this year in the cut thread.

The bolded above is moving goalposts. Here's you from this same page.

All models are updated, mechanics from mgs4 are added
Also, with the way this console is selling, those of you actually expecting a Kojima game on Wii U are going to be sorely disappointed.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
What does that have to do with anything though, you posted this year in the Snake thread, congratulations. I posted this year in the cut thread.

The bolded above is moving goalposts. Here's you from this same page.
I was posting about the interview mentioned, i have proven my point, and you're just drawing it out.

I meant quality as in literal pixels, the game's resolution is lower on the 3ds due to the smaller screen.
Mgs3d is a fantastic game, despite resolution. Arguing against it's quality doesn't even matter considering it would meet the same conditions TTS met with snake in brawl, assuming those conditions are even needed to have snake in smash.

Early 2012 was still the "doom" phase for the 3ds, and we got mgs3d then.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
.....I...........just stop. That's like arguing that aliens live below Rio...can't be disproved but it is the ramblings of a lunatic.

You're the one who missed the conclusions drawn, that Sakurai and Kojima haven't talked about Snake in the new Smash, which at this point would be one thing.

I just explained how TTS probably helped Kojima's cause for Brawl, and what good did that do?
I wouldn't call it the ramblings of a lunatic if the guy wasn't known for doing stuff like this. He called his new game a demo. He's the crazy one.

R0Y

Smash Master
I wouldn't call it the ramblings of a lunatic if the guy wasn't known for doing stuff like this. He called his new game a demo. He's the crazy one.
Ground Zeroes takes like 2 hours to complete, has been beaten in 10 minutes....
He's not crazy, he's a troll though.

Don't worry though, Snake won't be back.

Last edited:

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
oh **** the rest of the Pokemon Trainer crew is not looking good in the danger zone

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
One thing I'd like to point out:
Thanks to the recently confirmed customizable moveset feature, clones have a bigger chance to be diverse now. So, safe to say, Lucas and Wolf might be more safe than what everyone thinks.

However, the thing that bugs me is Pokemon. Is their fifth rep gonna be Jigglypuff, for tradition's sake? Or will it be the Mewtwo, for popularity's sake?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
One thing I'd like to point out:
Thanks to the recently confirmed customizable moveset feature, clones have a bigger chance to be diverse now. So, safe to say, Lucas and Wolf might be more safe than what everyone thinks.

However, the thing that bugs me is Pokemon. Is their fifth rep gonna be Jigglypuff, for tradition's sake? Or will it be the Mewtwo, for popularity's sake?
Why isn't six possible? Sakurai thinks transformations as separate characters, so there are six Pokemon characters in Brawl.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Why isn't six possible? Sakurai thinks transformations as separate characters, so there are six Pokemon characters in Brawl.
eh, It seems this time that Sakurai is gonna stick to a 5-character limit for this game. I mean, Mario has 5 characters, and Zelda has 4 characters revealed (and Ganondorf really isn't going anywhere .-.).

Even if he counted each transformation as their own character, Sakurai still made sure that Brawl's reps had up to 4 roster slots. Which is really what I count roster size rather than just characters.

We are getting either Mewtwo or Jigglypuff, and (to me atleast) they have equal chances to coming back.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
eh, It seems this time that Sakurai is gonna stick to a 5-character limit for this game. I mean, Mario has 5 characters, and Zelda has 4 characters revealed (and Ganondorf really isn't going anywhere .-.).

Even if he counted each transformation as their own character, Sakurai still made sure that Brawl's reps had up to 4 roster slots. Which is really what I count roster size rather than just characters.

We are getting either Mewtwo or Jigglypuff, and (to me atleast) they have equal chances to coming back.
It's more than likely both or Jigglypuff. Regardless of slots, Pokemon is popular enough to have six reps playable. But if they are sticking to five, then it will be Jigglypuff without a second thought. If it's just Mewtwo, then seeing Jigglypuff "having her run" will be very awkward removal when she's been in all previous Smash Bros games.

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
Why is Mewtwo in the graveyard? I think Jiggs and Mewtwo could EASILY both make it in. Also, why can't there be more mario characters announced? If someone has a link to them saying there will only be 5 Mario characters, I would really appreciate it.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Why is Mewtwo in the graveyard? I think Jiggs and Mewtwo could EASILY both make it in. Also, why can't there be more mario characters announced? If someone has a link to them saying there will only be 5 Mario characters, I would really appreciate it.
Would you have yet another new Mario character, or would have someone from an unrepresented series or underrepresented series? Having 6 roster slots for ANY series ould be overkill

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Would you have yet another new Mario character, or would have someone from an unrepresented series or underrepresented series? Having 6 roster slots for ANY series ould be overkill
Well if you count Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon separately, you have six slots in Brawl.

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard

We can still have both. Not to sound prejudiced (cuz I totally am) but Jigglypuff is not going anywhere. It'd be pretty awkward to have a Smash game without her. As likely as Mewtwo is, he's not getting in over Jiggs.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
If you replace Mario with Pokemon, then it's not out of the question since Pokemon is still extremely popular (even then, if a Mario character is respectable and well-known for the spot, then it would be fine). Obscure and rare is ideal, but it's not required. Also, I would believe your "5-character limit" assumption more like a guideline than a rule since we don't know how Sakurai nor Nintendo line out what reps should be in there or not.

Well if you count Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon separately, you have six slots in Brawl.

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard

We can still have both. Not to sound prejudiced (cuz I totally am) but Jigglypuff is not going anywhere. It'd be pretty awkward to have a Smash game without her. As likely as Mewtwo is, he's not getting in over Jiggs.
Well, he consider PKMN Trainer one character slot even though he's packed in with 3 playable Pokemon. They maybe not on their own slot and on a 3 minute timer (non-hacked), but they do count as individual, playable characters with a Zelda/Shiek setup. And if Zelda and Shiek are consider separate characters at this rate, then I really don't see the problem with them putting in two more Pokemon characters in the mix (especially both of them being veterans).

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
ROB, Ike, Wolf, and Snake are most likely cut. Ice Climbers are also a possibility. Pokemon Trainer's been replaced by his own Charizard.

Last edited:

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
If you replace Mario with Pokemon, then it's not out of the question since Pokemon is still extremely popular (even then, if a Mario character is respectable and well-known for the spot, then it would be fine). Obscure and rare is ideal, but it's not required. Also, I would believe your "5-character limit" assumption more like a guideline than a rule since we don't know how Sakurai nor Nintendo line out what reps should be in there or not.
I was mentioning Mario because Green Munchkin was asking why we don't have more than 5 Mario characters. Also, I'm pretty sure Mario is about as popular as pokemon is, if not more. Just saying, having 6 roster slots for a franchise kinda overshadows all of the series who only have 1 or 2 reps. Hell, I was skeptical over Mario having a fifth slot again at first.

Well, he consider PKMN Trainer one character slot even though he's packed in with 3 playable Pokemon. They maybe not on their own slot and on a 3 minute timer (non-hacked), but they do count as individual, playable characters with a Zelda/Shiek setup. And if Zelda and Shiek are consider separate characters at this rate, then I really don't see the problem with them putting in two more Pokemon characters in the mix (especially both of them being veterans).
Yeah, I think the roster size is based off of slots rather than individual characters. Yeah, each character in the slot has a different moveset, but you could always transform into another character in the slot, so it's like having a character with different movesets you could switch into in the middle of battles, Which makes the characters be like multiple characters meshed into one instead of 3 unique fighters. I personally think cutting transformations in general was a great choice.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I was mentioning Mario because Green Munchkin was asking why we don't have more than 5 Mario characters. Also, I'm pretty sure Mario is about as popular as pokemon is, if not more. Just saying, having 6 roster slots for a franchise kinda overshadows all of the series who only have 1 or 2 reps. Hell, I was skeptical over Mario having a fifth slot again at first.
I see, but I really don't see how six characters overshadows other characters from being picked. Most people like those franchises because they're the biggest in Nintendo's fruit basket. However, it's not to say there should be no more original, obscure choices. They may or may not come, but it's not because of either franchises' fault due to factors outside of being popular or obscure (moveset, sounds, music, theme, etc). It can work, but it'll take more time than needed. Not SSE amount fortunately.

Yeah, I think the roster size is based off of slots rather than individual characters. Yeah, each character in the slot has a different moveset, but you could always transform into another character in the slot, so it's like having a character with different movesets you could switch into in the middle of battles, Which makes the characters be like multiple characters meshed into one instead of 3 unique fighters. I personally think cutting transformations in general was a great choice.
It really is a decent idea. In fact, it makes the character reps a lot more visible to see and access. And I know what you're trying to say, but no matter how I look at it, Pokemon had 4 slots but 6 playable characters back in Brawl (and Mario did had a lower count with 4 slots/characters). Unless you're worried about the select screen looking congested, then it's something minor to get use to. Sometimes, I would go on a limb and say Mario has six reps anyways since it is Rosalina and Luma tag teaming. But of course, the Luma isn't "individual" enough to be consider the sixth, so I would say 5.5. @o@

But I'm just saying, if it happens that both are there, it won't be surprising. If one of them is on there and not the other, someone isn't going to be a happy camper but still wouldn't be surprising, but maybe with Jiggs.

Last edited:

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
For real though the amount of Poke reps.

So it seems that evolite is the final Smash for Charizard and probably Lucario.
I'm going on a limb and saying that Jiggs, Metwo, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are going to be battling for slots.
Red is gone though.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
For real though the amount of Poke reps.

So it seems that evolite is the final Smash for Charizard and probably Lucario.
I'm going on a limb and saying that Jiggs, Metwo, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are going to be battling for slots.
Red is gone though.
Eviolite? You mean Mega Stone right?
Jiggs is going to stay. Squirtle and Ivysaur are not. Mewtwo is debatable, because Lucario does have his moves.

DeanAdamFry

Smash Supporter
NNID
DeanAdamFry
3DS FC
2423-3337-0046
:ivysaur:and :squirtle:.

To be honest I don't think we will be getting any more cuts apart from these two above, each and every character that could of been cut like ZSS, Sheik, Charizard haven't and since Pokemon Trainer is now cut Squirtle has been replaced by Greninja and I personally believe Ivysaur is cut for Mewtwo. Every other character either has been confirmed in some shape or form or brings something unique to the table that will keep them in the game.

Of course just opinion and is very baseless but it makes the most sense to me.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Cut:
:jigglypuff::popo::snake:
Instead of cutting only Brawl newcomers(Which I find silly) I decided to cut one newcomer from each Smash.

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Jigglypuff is not making the cut
R.O.B is definitely not making the cut.
Snake may not break the cut but has a higher chance of making it than Jiggz and R.O.B
Pkmn Trainer is finished.
Mewtwo will replace Jigglypuff.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Hmm, if we would believe that Toon Link, Jigglypuff & Wolf were the 'final' additions to Brawl it would seem likely that Jigglypuff would be in the danger zone again. Considering that she's faded even more in the pokemon background and Mewtwo had a great comeback popularity wise I think Mewtwo might make it in over Jigglypuff. Other characters that I think might be cut: Lucas, Ike & Wolf.

Also the person who mentioned that the custom movesets could make clones more diverse? I'm thinking the complete opposite, this would make clones actual clones because the original main characters have enough opinions to 'copy' the clones movesets.

Top Bottom