• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Powershielding Kirby's Up+B.

CO18

Smash Hero
Sorry if this is known, I don't pay tooo much attention to kirby.

But It seems as if you powershield Kirby's up+b recovery right near the ledge he'll just pass the ledge falling to his death and won't grab on.

I've done this several times now so I was just wondering if this is known or not or if im wrong myself.

If I am anyone know what this is?

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, interesting, i haven't did this yet, i'll try this tomorrow because i don't have an wii, but some people can try this better than me, then i'll wait the results =]

Neogen

Smash Rookie
....SERIOUSLY?! If this is true, then thanks for telling the world how to gimp an edgey kirby! Nah, but anyway, that would suck if it's true. I'm not good at testing stuff like this, so we'll see.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It depends on what you're talking about. If you mean you powershield as Kirby tries to GRAB the ledge, then I've never heard of that.

But if you're talking about where you shield final cutter, and you kinda push Kirby off the stage as he's in landing lag, I've seen him free fall, blinking, to his death. It's extremely annoying to have happen to you. I don't know exactly how to do it, but it sucks when it happens o_o

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I just got done testing this, and all that happened was the Final Cutter was Perfect Shielded and Kirby grabbed the ledge normally.

Some info:
Tested with Lucario (my friend mains Lucario) and then with Dedede (since CO18 posted this thread).
Stage used, Final Destination, left hand ledge.
Pink Kirby ftw.

Edit:
Sometimes I've seen Kirby pushed off the ledge after a Final Cutter. This happened to me first on the conveyor belts on Pokemon Stadium 2, and occasionally with slanted ledges and such. Each time it's happened, Kirby went into FallSpecial, helpless state, and then grabbed the ledge (no one was edge hogging).

CO18

Smash Hero
I just got done testing this, and all that happened was the Final Cutter was Perfect Shielded and Kirby grabbed the ledge normally.

Some info:
Tested with Lucario (my friend mains Lucario) and then with Dedede (since CO18 posted this thread).
Stage used, Final Destination, left hand ledge.
Pink Kirby ftw.

Edit:
Sometimes I've seen Kirby pushed off the ledge after a Final Cutter. This happened to me first on the conveyor belts on Pokemon Stadium 2, and occasionally with slanted ledges and such. Each time it's happened, Kirby went into FallSpecial, helpless state, and then grabbed the ledge (no one was edge hogging).
Hmm im not sure then but Ive done this several times on smashville/FD when as well. I can try to get a vid up but I dont exactly know what it is then.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
This seems like it depends on if the powershield is on Kirby's way up or on his way down, since what the powershield does is push Kirby away a little. If it's on his way up all the Kirby has to do is hold left or right (the direction toward the stage) and he should still make it. On the way down, I dunno. Then again, FC moves so fast it's pretty hard to powershield.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Since I tested it on both going up and going down with Kirby's Final Cutter, I don't think that has much to do with it.

However, a thought crossed my mind. It might be dependant on if Kirby lands right at the very edge of the stage with the Cutter and the Perfect Shield then pushes him off immediately after he lands. This would push him into FallSpecial akin to the conveyer belts and sloped ground on other levels. You guys can go test it, but I won't be able to until later.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
If this really works its REALLY RISKY lol you will most likely be kirbycided if your not careful or don't know when to do this.

wangston

Smash Lord
update!!! You can grab the ledge stand up then push the kirby off. You can also use fludd or squirties water gun. Gale boomerang does the same thing when you push him off. It's when you push the kirby off the edge after he has landed and still has the cutter out.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Um... speaking of the conveyer belts and such.

I've actually managed to slide offstage and fallspecial on FD without anyone pushing me. It's hard to describe, but it happens when I land on the very edge of the stage and hold towards the ledge. I've done this when playing Ridley in boss battles, facing to the left, near the left ledge, and died because of it (which pissed me off to no end). Someone who can post vids should probably test this and get one up of it...

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
I've had this happen to me a couple of times.

This is not caused by any moves that push you off because you would continue to be in the FC animation.

The animation of Kirby when this happens is he falls to his death blinking, like D3 after he cancels his recovery. But the interesting thing is, is that none of Kirby's move's create that animation. On most characters if you try to recover and fail you go into that animation but with Kirby if you miss the ledge and fall to your death you'd stay in the FC animation.

I've had it happen that it literally pushed me off the stage completely away from the edge. It must be the perfect shield and the effects that come along with it.

My theory is is that when you just regular shield a attack you get pushed away by the force of your opponents attack. But with perfect shield(as you all know) you don't get pushed back. Could this mean the perfect shield has the opposite effect on the opponent instead of you? That your opponent gets knocked away instead of yourself because of the effects of the perfect shield? And when that were to happen it forces you into the helpless animation.

EDIT: I just had a idea...

If the opposite effect does actually happen maybe some form of shielding effect is passed on to Kirby and the shielding effect cancels his recovery forcing him into the helpless state.

To me that somewhat makes sense...like I said before if a character misses his recovery or cancels his recovery he would go into a helpless state, so if this shield effect does cancel his recovery naturally it would force him into the helpless state.

Ugh, to much thinking, headache coming...Bye.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
To go into free-fall after using a Final Cutter you have to:
1) Land on the ground
2) Get pushed off a ledge and into the air

This is usually seen on slanted ground (e.g. Bulborbs) or from some sort of forced movement (e.g. conveyer belts). Knowing this, it's easy to theorize that the Perfect Shield itself has little to do with causing Kirby to go into free-fall. It would be the girth of the character occupying the area in front of the ledge that makes the difference, giving no room for Kirby to land with Final Cutter and causing him to 'slide' away. The fact that characters don't move with a Perfect Shield supports this because a normal Shield would cause them to be pushed back from the force of the Final Cutter giving Kirby room to land on the ledge without getting pushed off.

Top Bottom