• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PowerPlay/INNsomnia - Jan 16 - Memphis

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
Hey all,

So we're going to run a new test and see what happens. I know some people have issues with the normal INNsomnia hours and whatnot, so here's an alternative "beta test" if you like. The guys over at PowerPlay decided to do a melee tournament and have agreed to allow me to be a special guest tourney host for this. Yay! :D

So what does that mean? Basically, a chance for the old crew to get back together and flex their beastly muscles again. I won't be in charge of any of the money stuff this time, so I'm not too sure what the exact prizes are but this is what I'm going on for now:

What? Melee tourney! Singles for now. I've mentioned the possibility of doubles but will likely depend on time/interest.
Where? PowerPlay Gaming. 841 N. Germantown Pkwy Memphis, TN, 38018
When? Saturday Jan 16 at 7pm
Cost? $10
Prize? I think this is subject to number of entrants, but based on communications with PP "a hefty grand prize in store credit which based on past events should be anywhere from $50 to several hundred bucks. " If I get some solid confirmation, I'll update.

We might need a couple setups, I'm not sure yet. If we need them, I'll come begging :) Standard INN rules will be applied for this, but just in case any new people reading:

For Singles and Doubles:
• Double Elimination.
• All matches are best of 3, with finals best of 5.
• 4 stock, 8 minute time limit
• Items OFF

Special Team Rules:
• Brackets will be random seeding
• Team Attack ON
• Life stealing allowed
• Fountain of Dreams will be banned due to stage lags in 4 player mode

Stages:
• First stage is limited to the 7 neutral stages for random picking, others open for counterpicks.
• Neutral stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams (see note in Special Team Rules), Dreamland 64 and Pokémon Stadium. Fountain of Dreams is on random for singles only. DK64 and Rainbow Cruise is on for doubles only.
• Banned Stages (for both Singles and Doubles): Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, Onett, and Great Bay
• No stage may be used twice in a single match, either by random select or by picking
• Knock-out: Each person knocks out one stage for entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.
• Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
• Rule added at the request of venue: "If both players agree to play a stage (whether banned or stage already played), it can be allowed. "

•Bring your own controller
•Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.

CO

Smash Ace
NNID
CO_Runaway7
3DS FC
3136-6583-7782
I will try my best to make it. With at least one set up.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'll probably go to this. I'll tell my peeps about it and see. The big issue here is that it's so short notice that Tony/Clink might not be able to get off of work that day if he is working.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Actually, I may not go, 'cause I have somewhere to be at church like reeeealy early on Sunday morning. I have to do stuff in front of people, so I can't be all zombified due to lack of sleep. :(

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
That's ok man, no worries. Some things definitely take priority. And sounds good Mookie, just let me know :)

<Edit> Rule added at the request of venue: "If both players agree to play a stage (whether banned or stage already played), it can be allowed. "

Handorin

Smash Hero
Yea, that's generally how things roll anyways. It just hardly ever happens.

CCCP

Smash Journeyman
Scrub: "Oh hey bro, can we play on (Onett, Fourside, Yoshi's Island, other stage where waveshine = really lame anal sex)? I really like that stage...

Nite: Lol, sure thing..."bro"...*evil grin*

Nite

Smash Champion
Not going to Pound, so I will be there as long as I've got a ride. Hopefully Arkansas will show up and still be able to make it to church or Prince Zane can dress up like Jesus and then it'll be enough like church that they would have made up for missing it.

CCCP

Smash Journeyman
Zane- Haha, but they shall learn soon enough! I'm definitely stoked, how did you come into this venue windfall?

Hando- Onett was my counterpick against Marth at one time, using the logic that he can't swat me off the sides if I stay down between the two buildings XD

Nite- The blue Falco heads confuse me.

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
Mr. KGB - Friend of mine told me they were having a smash tourney, I offered my assistance, one thing led to another really

If you know him, my contact from the venue is on here - toast... at least I think it is. Don't think it's toasty from atl. I haven't personally met him but *shrugs* should be alright :)

Handorin

Smash Hero
Oh, toast. He actually just posted in the TN thread.

Also, luckily this venue isn't >30min from my house. It almost is though. xD

_ToAsT_

Smash Apprentice
Zane- Lol. I figure it couldn't hurt right? I think its more for the people who practice on weird stages or like playing for fun... like my brothers. I know I wont be playing on stages like Hyrule Temple, but that's just me :p

_ToAsT_

Smash Apprentice
Well that's too bad. I would have liked to see a good Samus player. Don't see too many of them. Maybe next time. I'll bring a camera though.

~Toast

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I don't suppose there's ANY way that perhaps we can start the tourney sooner? Church definitely has to take priority over this, but I don't at all wanna miss this though :(

SmashterLink

Smash Ace
I will be there. Like CO said, we will try to bring a setup. Hope this turns out well. I would love to have more melee in our area again.

Nite

Smash Champion
About the mutual unban a stage rule...I thought that was allowed regularly as long as both players agree.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Man whatever is going on at church this sunday must be incredible. Do you guys go to the same church?
Nope. And it's basically just another service, but you know how us religious people do. Missing church to play games? It just wouldn't be right for us :(

I STILL may be able to make this though. Depends on whether I get a carpool or not. I get to sleep a little longer than Chamberlin afterall.

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
Honestly, it's up to Toast about the start time as he has connections with at venue. I'm mostly just involved for promotions and helping it run smooth :)

Oh, I forgot to mention, obviously there won't be any pizza since it isn't at the inn. Maybe can grab some grub afterwords somewhere...

_ToAsT_

Smash Apprentice
About the mutual unban a stage rule...I thought that was allowed regularly as long as both players agree.
Yeah it is for the most part. I saw it as something good to add in for just in case. If too many are opposed to it, it can be taken off. It doesn't really matter.

Honestly, it's up to Toast about the start time as he has connections with at venue. I'm mostly just involved for promotions and helping it run smooth :)

Oh, I forgot to mention, obviously there won't be any pizza since it isn't at the inn. Maybe can grab some grub afterwords somewhere...
No need to worry about that. There's Pizza Hut, Baskin Robins, Taco Bell, and Wendys within 3 mins walking distance.

As far as the time goes, I understand church coming first. I'm pretty open on times and I'll ask the venue about a time change. What time would be more preferred?

~Toast

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
And it's basically just another service, but you know how us religious people do. Missing church to play games? It just wouldn't be right for us
It's people like you that prevent me from partaking in a juicy, tasty, delicious Chic-Fil-A chicken sandwich on Sundays. Darn you, DARRRRRRN JOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

On that off-topic note, how come every time my friends and I want to go to Chic-fil-a it's a Sunday? It seriously happens all the time and it makes me sad face.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Nope. And it's basically just another service, but you know how us religious people do. Missing church to play games? It just wouldn't be right for us :(

I STILL may be able to make this though. Depends on whether I get a carpool or not. I get to sleep a little longer than Chamberlin afterall.
isn't there a night service? lulz. I know what you mean though, personally I believe in the God of the Bible and Jesus as his son. However I haven't been to church in well over a year so for me it's kind of fallen by the wayside in importance.

_ToAsT_

Smash Apprentice
Cyner- I think what he means is church comes before game. He wouldn't want to put it and go to the night service over Melee. I could be wrong though and he just didn't think about the night service.

~Toast

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Cyner- I think what he means is church comes before game. He wouldn't want to put it and go to the night service over Melee. I could be wrong though and he just didn't think about the night service.

~Toast
I understand the dire importance of Church and time that you spend hearing the Word of God.

Really, I wouldn't expect someone to miss a service for smash. Joking tones are hard to get across on the internet.

Also Mookie is right, everytime I get a craving for chick fil a, it's freaking sunday... So I went yesterday and it was good.

I have a job interview in about an hour, if that goes well I may not be able to make it to this but I'll let you know. :bee:

Nite

Smash Champion
I hope you all are able to make it. I'm looking forward to some good matches this weekend.

_ToAsT_

Smash Apprentice
I understand the dire importance of Church and time that you spend hearing the Word of God.

Really, I wouldn't expect someone to miss a service for smash. Joking tones are hard to get across on the internet.

Also Mookie is right, everytime I get a craving for chick fil a, it's freaking sunday... So I went yesterday and it was good.

I have a job interview in about an hour, if that goes well I may not be able to make it to this but I'll let you know. :bee:
I misread your post. My mistake *takes a bow*

As far as chick fil a goes, that has happened to me sometimes on Sunday. I'm in the mall (yes on a Sunday) and really wanting a shake but can't have it. Why? Because they're closed. I figure its just not meant to be and I should go get something healthier.

Jobs not a problem. I will personally go to your manager and tell him you can't make it because you're playing smash. Because I'm Toast, he'll say okay, pay for your entry, and apologize for the trouble he's caused. :chuckle:

~Toast

G. Vice

Smash Lord
You guys should have the pound 4 livestream on while this is happening so we can do shoutouts to you.
Give me and the rest of Arkansas a shoutout buddy! <3

And also, play Renth for me. I wanna know how my Ganon hero stacks up in comparison to you and perhaps myself.

Top Bottom