• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Pound 2016 Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
top 8:

winners:
abadango(:4metaknight::4mewtwo:)
tweek(:4cloud:)
marss(:4zss:)
void(:4sheik:)

losers:
pink fresh(:4bayonetta:)
mr r(:4sheik:)
ally(:4mario:)
larry lurr(:4fox:)

:4metaknight:x1 :4mewtwo:x1 :4sheik:x2 :4bayonetta:x1 :4fox:x1 :4cloud:x1 :4mario:x1 :4zss:x1

thats nice character composition. what i get from this:
:4bayonetta2: is overhyped. :4sheik: meta development before the nerfs carried her this far. :rosalina: is overrated.

Last edited:

H4RM0NY

Smash Rookie
So was Esam kidding when he said he was no longer a Pikachu main or not? Because he went Corrin here at Pound, so I'm sorta confused about if it was an April Fool's joke or not.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Fox is insanely crazy good when you're supremely consistent.

Larry's consistency is one of his best attributes. The synergy with his character choice is incredibly real.
It's a good sign for a fighting game when many different kinds of players can find such synergy with many different characters and do well competitively. Fun to watch and fun to play.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
If Aba goes against Larry, I bet he will definitely go MK. M2 vs Fox is no good.

D

Deleted member

So was Esam kidding when he said he was no longer a Pikachu main or not? Because he went Corrin here at Pound, so I'm sorta confused about if it was an April Fool's joke or not.
He still used PIka at this tournament. Switched off Corrin vs Ally and lost the set tho.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Mewtwo vs Sheik is pretty even, that's the best choice right now.

MU inexperience won't help him much, but ABA knows sheik too

:150:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Corrin is significantly better in the Mario match up than Pikachu. Corrin effortlessly outranges Mario, Nair shuts down a lot of his options, usmash is practically designed to stop Mario's Nair/dair, fsmash can easily snipe Mario's recovery, etc. In my own experience, it's a struggle for Mario and may evolve to become one of his worst matchups.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
The first letter of every sentence in ESAM's video spell out "APRIL FOOLS" when put together so he wasn't serious

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
bold statement: :rosalina: isnt a solo viable character. reason: gets blown the **** up by :4cloud::4metaknight:
Inclined to agree with this. She blows up the mid tiers and some high tiers, but the rest of the top tiers seem to have perfectly manageable MUs against her as well.

So far I'm inclined to think that Bayo and Cloud are a cut above Rosa, and she's about as good as Sheik/ZSS/Diddy overall.

Implying there's alot of MKs, also implying alot of MKs are good enough to beat Dabuz(or good in general). Look how long it took for Dabuz to lose to a MK. Any other pocket MK wouldn't beat Dabuz sadly. Cloud is problem for her though.
You can correct me if I'm wrong but it didn't look like Aba was doing anything that would be particularly difficult for other MKs to emulate.

Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing player, but from a pure gameplay standpoint I was much more impressed with some of his day 1 Mewtwo stuff on stream. He was mostly just getting the punishes and following them through, disposing of Luma along the way. The set should have been less close than 3-2, he just kept SDing. Even a player of Dabuz' caliber will make mistakes, and as long as you've got the execution down it seems like MK can punish Rosa's mistakes to an insane degree.

I'm not saying any old pocket MK would beat Dabuz and I know he's not that common, but this definitely looks problematic to her solo viability in stacked tournaments such as these where good MKs are present.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Isn't this the first large tournament where ZeRo, Nairo, and Dabuz can't possibly take first?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
VoiD's the best player in Top 8 and he's still in Winners. I think the winner will be him or Tweek.
Not to knock him whatsoever, but recent results/Sheik tweaking make me lean towards him being "a top player" than "the best top player."

Even then, being the arguable best of the best didn't save either Nairo or Dabuz.

Djent

Smash Champion
:4bayonetta2::4cloud2::4diddy::4fox::4mario::4sheik::4zss:
Every other character (including some very good ones) has at least one MU where (s)he should consider a secondary, or otherwise loses a number of MUs (i.e. the -1s add up).

EDIT: I swear I didn't intend to make this Pound-top-8-minus-Mewtwo, lol.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Every other character (including some very good ones) has at least one MU where (s)he should consider a secondary, or otherwise loses a number of MUs (i.e. the -1s add up).
I would add Sonic to this, but otherwise I agree.

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
Doesn't Pikachu have a solid advantage over Zero Suit Samus? It's hard as hell to hit him in my experience. Although, Marss's recent set makes me question this.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I'm mad that ROB's USmash hit but VoiD just popped out
Why does this game do that? Why is this ok? = (
It's the pain of :4bowserjr::4cloud::4darkpit::4diddy::4duckhunt::4lucas::4pit::4robinm::4samus::4sheik::4zss: among others who have hit boxes that need fixing so they don't fall out.

Even with the solo viable characters they could all do with a secondary to help them. I personally love the notion of counterpick wars as it adds colour and strategy to the game

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Lmao some of the posts in this thread
I don't want to sound elitist but if you don't grasp competitive play much why post here
If you don't know much, then why attempt to pass off your opinions as facts?

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Yo
That fearless off-stage gimp with Tweek was just mint, especially for a Cloud with no limit

EDIT: Oddshot

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Marss just ended Tweek's life

RIP

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Marss has such a different style from Nairo but effective all the same

juddy96

Smash Lord
Man I was saying it last night in the Japanese stream that I thought Marss would win Pound 2016. Y'all slept on this man and most of you picked Tweek to beat him.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Abadango is making Mewtwo look godlike.

VoiD looks pretty unfamiliar with the MU, but it looks like Sheik's lack of kill power is really harmful against Mewtwo.

Also I've spotted 2 occasions where I think Mewtwo would have died without the weight buff.

EDIT: And that's it. That was a massacre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom