With all these new characters in Smash Ultimate, we've seen more of an abundance of unique mechanics that can potentially be made into something universal in future installations of the series. And today, I'm going to list what mechanics have the most potential:
- Shield-Specials ()
- Inkling's gimmick, Ink, is replenished by pressing Shield, then pressing B. This mechanic, I feel, has potential to be a future 5th special for certain characters, such as Potions for the Pokemon Trainer or V-Triggers for Ryu & Ken. Sort of a more...passive Special, if you will.
- Held-A Attacks (/)
- No, I'm not talking about stuff like rapid-jabs or the like. What I'm talking about is how Simon and Richter can perform this Sheik-chain attack if the player holds B. This can be applied other ways, like switching weapons, alternative attacks, etc. Should Elma make it in, she could potentially have a Held-A that allows her to switch between swords and guns.
- Dodge Attacks ()
- Dodge Attacks seem like an absolutely likely mechanic that can be universal, considering a large portion of Smash mechanics are inspired by SNK games (Short-hopping, spot-dodging, rolling, etc.). However, dodge-attacks seem very easy to implement for other characters. They can just adapt tilt-attacks to use in dodge attacks.
- Backward Specials ( again)
- Terry also brings a second potential universal mechanic: a back-special. His Side-B is divided into two: His forward special Burning Knuckle, and his back special, Crack Shoot. While this does limit his recovery options when off-stage, it also gives Terry more tools to work with in Smash. I feel that akin to the Shield Special, Back Specials have a lot of potential to be a universal mechanic.