• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Still holding out hope for more characters, but the All-Star pic makes it hard to think Ridley could be in.

All the "missing" characters from that pic can be justified to be missing.

Duck Hunt is from 1984. ROB released before Super Mario Bros in 1985. Kid Icarus released after Metroid in 1986.

The possibilities are these:

1. Characters in All-Star mode are shown grouped by game. Since Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda and Metroid released in 1985 and 1986, that's the time period it shows. Ridley not being shown means he's not playable.
    1. When you defeat the characters from a game, the next game shows. So when you defeat Peach and Bowser, the characters shift, and Pit and Palutena will show at the bottom.
    2. When you defeat all shown, the next set of characters shows. That would mean Pit, Palutena, Marth. Dr. Mario, Yoshi and/or Captain Falcon (Yoshi and Capt Falcon debuted on the same day) are next.
  2. Only five characters are ever shown in All-Star mode.
    1. Characters rotate singly. After Peach is defeated, the portraits shift and then either Ridley (if he's in) or Pit appears at the bottom right.
    2. Characters rotate in sets of five. This is not possible since there are not ten characters to precede Peach.
Possibility 1.1 seems most likely. 1.2 seems problematic since there are only seven to show before Peach, meaning either a set of four and then three, or one set of seven, neither of which seems ideal. 2.1 is possible, but seems unlikely. 2.2 doesn't work.

Ridley's only chance is if it works as in 2.1

If it's 1.1 or 2.1, then the roster leak would imply this ordering: (Characters on the same line debuted simultaneously and so have flexible ordering):

Apr 1980 Mr. Game & Watch
May 1980 Pac-Man
Jul 1981 Mario, Donkey Kong
Jul 1983 Luigi
Feb 1984 Little Mac*
Apr 1984 Duck Hunt
Jul 1985 R.O.B.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Screen shot shows:
||| Sep 1985 Peach
||| Sep 1985 Bowser
||| Feb 1986 Link
||| Feb 1986 Zelda
||| Aug 1986 Samus
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Dec 1986 Pit, Palutena
Dec 1987 Mega Man
Jul 1989 Ness*
Apr 1990 Marth
Jul 1990 Dr. Mario
Nov 1990 Yoshi**, Captain Falcon (separate launch titles)
Jul 1991 Sonic
Apr 1992 Kirby, King Dedede
Oct 1992 Wario*
Feb 1993 Fox, Falco
Mar 1993 Meta Knight
Jan 1994 Wario*
Nov 1994 Diddy Kong
Feb 1996 Charizard, Pikachu, Jigglypuff
Nov 1998 Sheik, Ganondorf
Apr 2001 Villager
Oct 2001 Olimar
Jul 2002 Bowser Jr
Dec 2002 Toon Link
Feb 2004 Zero-Suit Samus***
Apr 2005 Ike
Dec 2006 Mii Fighters
Nov 2007 Rosalina
Dec 2007 Wii Fit Trainer
Jun 2010 Shulk
Mar 2012 Dark Pit
Apr 2012 Robin, Lucina
Oct 2013 Greninja

*Brawl used series debut, while the screen shot implies this is based on character debut. Little Mac debuted in Oct 1987, Wario in Oct 1992, and Ness in Aug 1994 . But Punch-Out debuted in 1983, Wario Land in 1994 and Mother in 1989. The order of the leaked roster would imply he's using the earlier dates for Little Mac and Ness, since Little Mac appears before Duck Hunt and Ness appears before Captain Falcon. Wario's placement is thus unclear since his CSS placement is based on him being a Mario spin-off rather than his debut date.

**Unlike Wario, in Brawl, Yoshi's placement in All-Star mode was based on character debut rather than series debut. Deciding which game counts as Yoshi's "series debut" would be complicated since his first starring role was in a Mario-branded game.

***Zero-Suit Samus could be argued to debut in Aug 1986, since the Justin Bailey code allows you to play as Samus without the Power Suit. However, Justin Bailey Samus has a different design and the same abilities as Power Suit Samus, lacking the signature features of ZSS. Sakurai could justify either placement however. ZSS being placed in 1986 only works with the 2.1 variation.

*sob* R.I.P Jumpman... R.I.P *sob*
FAKE NO JUMPMAN!
In all honesty... I'm glad this leak is real.
I've seen you mention Jumpman multiple times... You're not talking about... you know... Mario are you? I don't know who else would be called Jumpman.

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
This would fit perfectly.
Except Ice Climbers should be next to Mr. Game & Watch...

Poor Ice Climbers. They've faded into irrelevance. #CutForIceClimbers
No.

What?

No.

You're joking right?
No... Give me a reason to say "Sopo", it just sounds stupid man. =/ It's Popo and Nana, and if it's just Popo... it's Popo. Makes no sense to change a name with the same description and the same amount of letters.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
The picture was one of the last ones to surface, which proves that if it wasn't taken during the exact same time, it'd be at a later point. Not to mention it's the only mode we've not seen gameplay screenshots of when it comes to the 3DS, which of course eludes to the fact that the leaker had not acquired said game mode yet. That, and the terrible arrangement of the roster means more than enough in that regard.
There's no reason to assume the pictures are in any particular order. The picture that shows only 11 trophies unlocked comes in between a bunch of pictures that show 600+ trophies unlocked. We HAVE seen footage (well, a screen anyway) of All-Star mode on the 3DS. And the leaker didn't "acquire" anything. He doesn't have the game, he NEVER had the game, he just had video clips so he would not have had anything to 'unlock'. The "terrible" arrangement is unorthodox but entirely logical.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
Dark Pit (unlock all the stages and defeat all the stage bosses, or play 900 vs matches)
GOODBYE Sakurai! This bias is showing! Having your creation being the hardest character to unlock (assuming this is real).

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Still holding out hope for more characters, but the All-Star pic makes it hard to think Ridley could be in.

Duck Hunt is from 1984. ROB released before Super Mario Bros in 1985. Kid Icarus released after Metroid in 1986.

1. Characters in All-Star mode are shown grouped by game. Since Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda and Metroid released in 1985 and 1986, that's the time period it shows. Ridley not being shown means he's not playable.
    1. When you defeat the characters from a game, the next game shows. So when you defeat Peach and Bowser, the characters shift, and Pit and Palutena will show at the bottom.
    2. When you defeat all shown, the next set of characters shows. That would mean Pit, Palutena, Marth. Dr. Mario, Yoshi and/or Captain Falcon (Yoshi and Capt Falcon debuted on the same day) are next.
    1. Characters rotate singly. After Peach is defeated, the portraits shift and then either Ridley (if he's in) or Pit appears at the bottom right.
    2. Characters rotate in sets of five. This is not possible since there are not ten characters to precede Peach.
Possibility 1.1 seems most likely. 1.2 seems problematic since there are only seven to show before Peach, meaning either a set of four and then three, or one set of seven, neither of which seems ideal. 2.1 is possible, but seems unlikely. 2.2 doesn't work.
Wow...well done. I'm so nervous about my dragon, but this does not look good at all. Hoping that 2.1 (or some modification of 1.1, where the 'next up' shows the next 5, so defeating Peach and Bowser move Ridley and Pit into the table)

I was hoping when I saw the leak that the roster wasn't final, becuase I wanted the hype 3 in. Now, it's not looking good for any of them. Man, I hope DLC will be a thing, because I am not a fan of this roster as it is. I feel like some characters I like got cut and replaced with others I don't really care about.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace

Ridley's only chance is if it works as in 2.1

If it's 1.1 or 2.1, then the roster leak would imply this ordering: (Characters on the same line debuted simultaneously and so have flexible ordering):

Apr 1980 Mr. Game & Watch
May 1980 Pac-Man
Jul 1981 Mario, Donkey Kong
Jul 1983 Luigi
Apr 1984 Duck Hunt
Jul 1985 R.O.B.
Sep 1985 Peach
Sep 1985 Bowser
Feb 1986 Link
Feb 1986 Zelda
Aug 1986 Samus
Dec 1986 Pit, Palutena
Oct 1987 Little Mac*
Dec 1987 Mega Man
Apr 1990 Marth
Jul 1990 Dr. Mario
Nov 1990 Yoshi, Captain Falcon (separate launch titles)
Jul 1991 Sonic
Apr 1992 Kirby, King Dedede
Oct 1992 Wario*
Feb 1993 Fox, Falco
Mar 1993 Meta Knight
Aug 1994 Ness*
Nov 1994 Diddy Kong
Feb 1996 Charizard, Pikachu, Jigglypuff
Nov 1998 Sheik, Ganondorf
Apr 2001 Villager
Oct 2001 Olimar
Jul 2002 Bowser Jr
Dec 2002 Toon Link
Feb 2004 Zero-Suit Samus
Apr 2005 Ike
Dec 2006 Mii Fighters
Nov 2007 Rosalina
Dec 2007 Wii Fit Trainer
Jun 2010 Shulk
Mar 2012 Dark Pit
Apr 2012 Robin, Lucina
Oct 2013 Greninja

*Brawl used series debut instead, in which case Little Mac would be Feb 1984 (the arcade game had an unnamed player character), Wario would be Jan 1994, and Ness in July 1989. The order of the leaked roster would imply he's using the earlier dates for Little Mac and Ness, since Little Mac appears before Duck Hunt and Ness appears before Captain Falcon. Wario's placement is thus unclear.

I've seen you mention Jumpman multiple times... You're not talking about... you know... Mario are you? I don't know who else would be called Jumpman.
i think 2.1 is the most likely option, thats just me though

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
1980 Mr. Game & Watch Pac-Man
1981 Mario Donkey Kong
1983 Luigi
1984 Duck Hunt
1985 R.O.B. Peach Bowser
1986 Link Zelda Samus Pit Palutena
1987 Little Mac Mega Man
1990 Marth Dr. Mario Yoshi Captain Falcon
1991 Sonic
1992 Kirby King Dedede Wario
1993 Fox Falco Meta Knight
1994 Ness Diddy Kong
1996 Charizard Pikachu Jigglypuff
1998 Sheik Ganondorf
2001 Villager Olimar
2002 Bowser Jr. Toon Link
2004 Zero-Suit Samus*
2005 Ike
2006 Mii Fighters
2007 Rosalina Wii Fit Trainer
2010 Shulk
2012 Robin Lucina
2013 Greninja
*simplifies*

*Zero-Suit Samus is debatable since (as far as my knowledge goes) you can not only see, but play as Zero-Suit Samus in the Original Metroid, but her signature design wasn't stablized until Zero Mission.

Last edited:

Staccato

Smash Cadet
Well, the leaker does say those aren't all the unlockable characters, and the starting roster is consistent to the one that had appeared on the Japanese e-shop site. Probably fake but quite believable.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
No... Give me a reason to say "Sopo", it just sounds stupid man. =/ It's Popo and Nana, and if it's just Popo... it's Popo. Makes no sense to change a name with the same description and the same amount of letters.
Sopo is a term used for when you're playing as just Popo, Sona being used for Nana.

I didn't really know this, either, but this explains it:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Sopo

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I can't think of a single commentator in the pro scene that doesn't regularly refer to popo as sopo, much like i can't think of a single commentator in the pro scene that does regularly refer to popo as popo. (in a sopo situation, obviously) There's ****ing #SOPOHYPE trends for gods sake. It's a common and accepted term for years now and it legitimately blows my mind that you are posting that. I'm sure if you go to any IC match you would probably hear the term at least once

It's like saying there's no reason to give nicknames to moves if the nickname and the official name is the same length when it's still a part of what makes the smash community and commentary fun to watch.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Man, I hope DLC will be a thing, because I am not a fan of this roster as it is. I feel like some characters I like got cut and replaced with others I don't really care about.
Yeah, I feel like this is the eternal struggle of the non-Japanese Smash fan. We are pretty much in 4th place behind the Japanese audience, Nintendo's own marketing designs, and Sakurai's own prejudices. After Melee, Brawl, and now Smash U, I'm used to getting a few cool additions but my (and most other fans) most wanted get shoved aside. But I would be okay with DLC. Not to slight 3DS users, but if Ice Climbers were cut because of technical problems, I really hope Wii U players can still get them in.

Last edited:

Xapples

Smash Rookie
Except Ice Climbers should be next to Mr. Game & Watch...

No.

Sopo is a term used for when you're playing as just Popo, Sona being used for Nana.

I didn't really know this, either, but this explains it:
But...I like Polo better...

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Toon Link is arguably the "original Link" with the character we now know as Link debuing in Zelda-2. I'll be interested to see how All Star handles that in smash 4.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
There's no reason to assume the pictures are in any particular order. The picture that shows only 11 trophies unlocked comes in between a bunch of pictures that show 600+ trophies unlocked. We HAVE seen footage (well, a screen anyway) of All-Star mode on the 3DS. And the leaker didn't "acquire" anything. He doesn't have the game, he NEVER had the game, he just had video clips so he would not have had anything to 'unlock'. The "terrible" arrangement is unorthodox but entirely logical.
So your basis that it's an old picture is a single screenshot...that's reaching if I've ever heard it. And considering that's all you've got to go on, it's not really worth listening to. Anyways, you can all have fun tearing this apart, I personally don't care, I'm going to go Monster Hunt. Have fun!

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
All Star mode being locked doesn't prove anything right now. It doesn't prove that there are more characters to unlock, it doesn't prove that this is the final roster.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
Sooooo why does the title still say "potential leak"? It would surprise me if there were still detractors at this point.

Dims

Smash Cadet
Gettin real tired of all those clouds

please someone find a mewtwo cloud

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
LMAO, okay that one's too real to pass up
ridley 100% confirmed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom