• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
That being said, I don't think Wii Fit Trainer getting in is that bad, but she's definitely not someone I'd consider to be smash material.

My only problem with the leak is the fact that there's so many brawl stages when the direct said the 3DS version would feature melee stages. Did Sakurai decide to switch which game featured what?
He didn't actually specify, he just said stages would be returning. The one example he showed for 3DS just happened to be a Melee stage, and the Wii U one a Brawl stage.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I understand that. But legally, that is hazy. In most cases like this, a company like Nintendo wouldn't consider the potential legal ramifications (should an old publisher claim certain rights to the series's representation) worth the character's investment and avoid him altogether. It's just surprising that they went ahead and did it.

As for your examples, Pokemon and Fire Emblem have always been published by Nintendo and hold no ties to any former owner or publisher, thus there's no messy legal work. Not the same thing.
But neither has the character of "Shulk" or the game "Xenoblade Chronicles" nor any other game/element associated with it. The Xenoblade Chronicles series - and the character of Shulk - are published solely by Nintendo. If Xenoblade Chronicles was a direct sequel to Xenogears and featured the same world and characters, then it's possible it might get somewhat more complicated, but really it is a whole new IP which has been solely published by Nintendo. I think Shulk is every bit as Nintendo as Pikachu and Lucina, and they are certainly Nintendo.

Speaking of Shulk, I really like the idea of his neutral b changing "stances" that have different stat effects. That sounds really fun to me, I like self-buffing characters, as well as stance changes. He also looks like he has insane reach for a swordfighter based on the video, thanks to the additional length the "activated" Monado gives. The only thing I don't like about that moveset too well are his up/down specials. Up special is too similar looking to dolphin slash for me, and I'm starting to seriously loathe counter down-specials with how many we've got in this game. We don't know what his side-special is supposed to be, right? If anyone has any leak with information on that, that'd be cool to get my hands on, but I don't think we have that yet.

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
He didn't actually specify, he just said stages would be returning. The one example he showed for 3DS just happened to be a Melee stage, and the Wii U one a Brawl stage.
Speaking of such, you think there's hope of 64 stages?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
That is the very definition of a second party.

First Party = Nintendo itself.
Second Party = Directly owned, whether by direct purchase or >50% stock investment, so they answer to Nintendo.
Third Party = An independent company who signs some sort of agreement to create things for Nintendo during the period of the contract.
You are kinda correct:

"
Second-party developer is a colloquial term used by gaming enthusiasts and media often used to describe two different types of game development studios:

1. Independently owned studios who take development contracts from the platform holders and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform.
  2. Studios who are partially or wholly owned by the platform holder (also known as a subsidiary) and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform.
In reality, the resulting game is first party (since it is funded by the platform holder who usually owns the resulting IP), but the term helps to distinguish independent studios from those directly owned by the platform holder. These studios may have exclusive publishing agreements (or other business relationships) with the platform holder, while maintaining independence. Examples are Insomniac Games (which previously developed games solely for Sony's PlayStation platforms as an independent studio) and Game Freak, (which primarily develops the Nintendo-exclusive Pokémon game series). "
But that means however xenoblade belongs to nintendo, xenoblade is different to xenosaga and xenogears.

That also means all naughty dog I.P.s belong to sony too.

I don't see how shulk was surprising, I thought it made sense.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
....but I like Dark Pit....he's cool....;~;
You can like him all you want, big guy!

Just because I loathe and abhor his inclusion with the white hot intensity of a thousand burning suns doesn't mean you have to.

Congrats!

Bobomberman

Smash Cadet
Well, where's Game and Watch? Chronologically he should be next to Pac-man, but he's not. That's probably the default screen for it, and it includes Game and Watch when you unlock all the characters (it would make more sense to display him after unlocking just him, but whatever).
That IS a pretty good point, but I think by that logic ROB and Duck Hunt Dog would be there.
Besides this guy HAS those characters unlocked... unless this is from BEFORE that...

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze

Okay since I can't find the original image I'll just use this one.

Anyway, honestly how hard would it be to just photoshop a lock onto that, to mess with us and make us think there's more characters? Like others have stated Sakurai has never shown locked items, they just kinda appear as little surprises.

What if just to mess with us and cause further chaos, the leaker (who has lied in the past) just put a lock on the menu and called it a day? Does it make any sense that Sakurai's only means of showing a mode is locked would be a small lock in the top left of the screen?

On top of that the top right of the lock is chipped, seems kinda odd and out of place. Of all the things we've questioned the photoshop of, this should be the most glaring one.

As much as I want there to still be characters this is just a glaring discrepancy that seems off to me.
You forget it's a 3DS... a bigger more noticeable lock could be on the actual slot on the top screen for All-Stars. I think we're giving way too much thought into the leaked photos if we're going to say he manipulated them just to mess with us.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I'm actually very excited for Koopalings in that clown car. I don't care for Bowser Jr. at all, but Lemmy is my man after Mario Kart 8 made me love him, so I'll be very happy to play as him.
Ludwig here!

Man. Bowser Jr. is... so unique. Probably not my style, but I can't wait to see quality, official footage.

Egg-Off the Conquerer

Smash Apprentice
This is the second game in a row where Zelda got shafted hard roster-wise. Toon link and Ganondorf both have sooo much to draw from. And if the series even gets a new character it'll just be a sheik clone? 3/6 characters being clones?? For nintendo's 3rd best selling franchise???

I just.... Sakurai, please make a Zelda game. Please.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
But that means however xenoblade belongs to nintendo, xenoblade is different to xenosaga and xenogears.

But that's why it's surprising. In a court of law, the simple fact that it's "Xeno" and made by the same man/company as the earlier entries to the franchise leaves open the door for former affiliations to pursue legal action. Sure, it doesn't make sense, but that's the law for ya. Many companies would want to avoid that headache and just say "no" from the get-go, but it's clear that Nintendo saw the upside of giving Xenoblade more exposure as being worth the risk.

Again, I simply find his inclusion surprising. I'm not arguing that he shouldn't have been in.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Speaking of such, you think there's hope of 64 stages?
I hope so and expect a couple, but I have no reason to other than the fact that Melee stages are returning and not just Brawl ones. Dream Land, Congo Jungle, and Saffron City would be my three most wanted.

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
That IS a pretty good point, but I think by that logic ROB and Duck Hunt Dog would be there.
Besides this guy HAS those characters unlocked... unless this is from BEFORE that...
That actually enforces my point even more. And at the very least, it doesn't weaken it.

There's probably only two pictures for it -- one with only default characters, and one with all the characters, the latter obviously only being available upon getting all the characters. There would be little reason for the picture to change if you still can't play it, after all.

I know I contradicted my statement in the last post where I said it would make more sense for it to change after getting Game and Watch, I changed my mind.

Last edited:

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936

Okay since I can't find the original image I'll just use this one.

Anyway, honestly how hard would it be to just photoshop a lock onto that, to mess with us and make us think there's more characters? Like others have stated Sakurai has never shown locked items, they just kinda appear as little surprises.

What if just to mess with us and cause further chaos, the leaker (who has lied in the past) just put a lock on the menu and called it a day? Does it make any sense that Sakurai's only means of showing a mode is locked would be a small lock in the top left of the screen?

On top of that the top right of the lock is chipped, seems kinda odd and out of place. Of all the things we've questioned the photoshop of, this should be the most glaring one.

As much as I want there to still be characters this is just a glaring discrepancy that seems off to me.
Actually, a different leaker (Izat True) provided that image, not the lying one from 4chan. (who, consequently, tried acting like he was the main source when in reality he was just getting the pictures from presumably Izat, among a few others) Regardless, they're from the same source material.

Aside from that, many reliable sources have stated it's 100% not the final roster.
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c..._complete_still_more_characters_we_do/cjwgmos

I know someone else on Smashboards who was involved with the Ninka leak also mentioned it not being final, but I can't find the Reddit post, sorry. Just take my word for it.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Warning Received
I understand that. But legally, that is hazy. In most cases like this, a company like Nintendo wouldn't consider the potential legal ramifications (should an old publisher claim certain rights to the series's representation) worth the character's investment and avoid him altogether. It's just surprising that they went ahead and did it.

As for your examples, Pokemon and Fire Emblem have always been published by Nintendo and hold no ties to any former owner or publisher, thus there's no messy legal work. Not the same thing.
doesn't this post count as spam? wtf moderators.
nfracting me left and right while I do no different from others.

BelowZer0

Smash Apprentice
You are kinda correct:

I forgot that sony had a policy where if you make a franchise exclusive to the playstation, sony has all rights to it. That's why insomniac says they switched over. (Probably not true it was most likely the large amount of cash microsoft payed them, but the policy is correct)

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
So, I think it's possible that the css and sss are not final in the leaked pictures. The ESRB rated the game at least a couple months ago, I think, and it seems as though these pictures / videos were being sent to a few select people over time, then recently it all just got blown out. Once one person leaked it, other people that had it started leaking it, too. But the point is, those may have just been temporary css and sss just to show the ESRB what all was in the game. So the final designs may look better. The characters may be better positioned, and the sss just having a better design overall. And maybe Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina are separated from the rest of their franchise because they were the last characters added and may be moved once the final css is made.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
So i heard something about all-star mode needing to be unlocked still? and since it isn't we still have not seen the full roster? Is this true?

And if so, how are people feeling about ridley and mewtwos chances now?

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
So, do you guys think that ESRB000bie got to keep his copy of the game and play it in his jail cell?

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
So i heard something about all-star mode needing to be unlocked still? and since it isn't we still have not seen the full roster? Is this true?

Mewtwo's odds are high....Ridley's...uhm...not so high.

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
So, I think it's possible that the css and sss are not final in the leaked pictures. The ESRB rated the game at least a couple months ago, I think, and it seems as though these pictures / videos were being sent to a few select people over time, then recently it all just got blown out. Once one person leaked it, other people that had it started leaking it, too. But the point is, those may have just been temporary css and sss just to show the ESRB what all was in the game. So the final designs may look better. The characters may be better positioned, and the sss just having a better design overall. And maybe Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina are separated from the rest of their franchise because they were the last characters added and may be moved once the final css is made.
The leak is from a Nintendo employee allegedly who was sending videos to the ESRB. He has been also (ALLEGEDLY) been found and will be sued

EDIT: the game was t gold then. Unless Sakurai went "Hey let's put the most inappropriate stuff in first" there is no way the game has been fully rated

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
But neither has the character of "Shulk" or the game "Xenoblade Chronicles" nor any other game/element associated with it. The Xenoblade Chronicles series - and the character of Shulk - are published solely by Nintendo. If Xenoblade Chronicles was a direct sequel to Xenogears and featured the same world and characters, then it's possible it might get somewhat more complicated, but really it is a whole new IP which has been solely published by Nintendo. I think Shulk is every bit as Nintendo as Pikachu and Lucina, and they are certainly Nintendo.
I'm not arguing your point from a common sense standpoint. I'm arguing from a (potential) legal one.

Here. I found a quote from an earlier article about when Xenoblade was first announced under the "Xenoblade" name, rather than its original, not-affiliated-with-Xenosaga-at-all name:

It was originally shown at E3 2009 with the title Monado: The Beginning of the World. But one little switcheroo and it’ll probably sell twice the copies. Nintendo’s not even going to bother saying that the name change is a coincidence. “We decided to call it Xenoblade to honor Mr. Tetsuya Takahashi who poured his soul into making this and who has been working on the Xeno series,” said Iwata.
That comment alone is enough to warrant a lawsuit from a former publisher if they so chose, and if they still held rights to the older games in any way. Clearly, it hasn't, but the more exposure a creation under the name "Xeno" gets, the higher probability there is for a lawsuit. It's not even likely that the ones suing in this instance would even win; I'm simply stating that, historically, companies have a habit of avoiding these sort of possibilities unless the payoff is really high.

Clearly Nintendo expects big things from the Xenoblade franchise, or they wouldn't have considered Shulk's inclusion as a worthwhile decision. That is why I find his inclusion surprising, and intriguing.

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice
Pic of the day:
"Here's what happens to silly ESRB employees who ruin my fun"
Pic is of cancellation notice for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Nintendo Wii U

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean

If you ask me, Ridley still no. Mewtwo, hopefully yes. I still believe that Ridley will just be a stage boss in Pyrosphere, but if ever were to be playable then I would be happy for all the Ridley fans.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
First report said post, and if you have complaints please keep it to PMs as to avoid further topic derailment.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
his Monado has 2 modes, one turns his hand red or blue, and the other turns his feet which ever color the hands aren't. I haven't played xenoblade, so i have no idea if this happens in that game
I think its a balancing thing:
Blue gives a boost
Red doesn't
Maybe when his feet are red and hands blue, his power of the Monado is strong but gets horrible speed.
And when his feet are blue and hands are red making the Monado weak but in favor your speed is fast.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I've heard a lot of people talking about the possibility that Dixie Kong is a clone of Diddy. I disagree, but I do see it as a possibility.

The issue here is that Diddy's moveset is all about his gadgets (his peanut popper, jet barrels, banana peels, ect). These are all things (except the peels) that Diddy had exclusive to him. Dixie being a clone would only make sense if Diddy's shtick was doing "generic monkey things." Dixie also has a lot of possibilities with her hair.

I do see Impa as being a potential Sheik clone, so I kind of hope that she isn't actually in the game, but I'd be fine with it either way.

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
Not really. But this does. How ironic.

Also, the report button exists. Which I happened to press on your post, for aforementioned ironic reasons.

I'm with Iggy (man everyone has their signature Koopaling.)
I've gotta say, Ludwig is my favorite. I'm not happy about him being an option as I've said before but I'll still play as him.

We're talking about it now.

Idk, hard to keep up with what's probably-real and probably-fake.

R0Y

Smash Master

Bandai Namco sold their part, including the Xenosaga series when they sold their majority shares in Monolith to Nintendo. Only issue would be if Square Enix owns something because of Xenogears.

The Xeno series is amazing, a lot of key devs over more than 15 years having their signature franchise published by 3 different publishers.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm........ confused.

How is a thought-out response to another post spam?

...though, I guess by responding to this I am derailing the topic, so I won't go any further with it. @ --- --- already said what was needed to be said.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
The leak is from a Nintendo employee allegedly who was sending videos to the ESRB. He has been also (ALLEGEDLY) been found and will be sued

EDIT: the game was t gold then. Unless Sakurai went "Hey let's put the most inappropriate stuff in first" there is no way the game has been fully rated
Uhm... what? I was simply saying that the css and sss designs may not have been final. Not that only the inappropriate stuff was done. Geez.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
On the topic of Monolith Soft, this is something I've been trying to research for awhile, and can't find a definitive answer. Does Nintendo own the rights to the Baten Kaitos IP? I think a Kalas trophy (and continuation of the series) would be great.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Anyway, here's my opinion on this:
1. Mushroomy Kingdom coming back kinda stinks. I didn't really hate it, but I didn't like. Pokemon Stadium 2 would have been a much better choice IMO.
2. Dr. Mario returning. WHY. Like the biggest clone ever in my opinion, coming back.
Pretty much it at the moment, have to wait to make final judgements.
Dr. Mario is far from a clone now. He has his own special move, Dr. Tornado. And not FLUDD.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm........ confused.

How is a thought-out response to another post spam?

...though, I guess by responding to this I am derailing the topic, so I won't go any further with it. @ --- --- already said what was needed to be said.
Haven't been keeping a heavy eye, but yeah I'd go to either the Shulk or Character Discussion threads for such a discussion. Let's try to keep things on the leak as much as possible.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I forgot that sony had a policy where if you make a franchise exclusive to the playstation, sony has all rights to it. That's why insomniac says they switched over. (Probably not true it was most likely the large amount of cash microsoft payed them, but the policy is correct)

No, no, no. Insomniac wanted to retain the IP to Sunset Overdrive but have Sony publish/fund. Microsoft and even Nintendo will do that, not Sony.

But putting a game on Sony's console exclusively, like MGS4 or the Tales series, no such rule exists. Sony's rule is only when publishing.

EDIT: Sorry, I see you now mod, got it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom