• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
So a lot of people seem to be expecting this character select screen to pair with others predicting similar rosters plus Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, and the Chorus Kids, such that those characters fill remaining spots on the character select screen.

I don't think that works.

Let's look at Row #2.

We can see that this row is packed with DK, Zelda, and Metroid characters. Adding even one more character to any of those games would cause it to overflow, forcing characters to the next row. Whether we add Dixie, Ridley, or both, we end up with Metroid characters split between Row #2 and Row #3. This strikes me as difficult to believe; that's how in-progress rosters work, not completed ones. The only way to fix it would be if we got either another Zelda character or a standalone character (like the Chorus Kids) somewhere else in the row to finish forcing the Metroid characters out.

So if we assume Dixie and Ridley, plus the Chorus Kids where they'd have to be, we get rows #2 and #3 looking like this:

Donkey Kong | Diddy Kong | Dixie Kong | Link | Zelda | Sheik | Ganondorf | Toon Link | Chorus Kids
Samus | ZSS | Ridley | Pit | Palutena | Marth | Ike | Robin | Kirby

Another problem! By adding two characters before them, the Kirby characters start getting pushed off Row #3. And Mewtwo isn't any place where it'd affect this. The only way to avoid a split Kirby roster would be if the unlisted fifth character is somewhere before Kirby.

But let's roll with that. Let's say that fifth character can show up somewhere useful (say, by being Ice Climbers) and pushes Kirby down to Row #4, so that the whole Kirby series is in a row there. Does that work? Let's see how Row #4 looks now.

Kirby | Dedede | Meta Knight | Little Mac | Fox | Falco | Pikachu | Charizard | Lucario

No matter where you stick Mewtwo, there's no fixing this. The Pokemon roster is split between rows #4 and #5 and there's no preventing it. Not without arbitrarily teleporting large numbers of characters around the screen, that is.

CONCLUSION: It is possible to add five characters to the "leaked" CSS to make it take on the shape of a rectangle. However, if that set of characters includes DK and/or Metroid characters (as in the Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie claims people like to link to this), Brawl-style CSS scrolling will displace the previous characters in such a way that will result in splitting even more series' character lineups. Therefore, I do not believe the Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie roster is compatible with the "leaked" CSS.
Isn't it possible that the single-rep series swap around the multi-rep series while staying in order, and the multi-rep series swap around the single-rep series while staying in order?

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
While it is important to look at the organization behind the CSS and the leak, I highly doubt that Sakurai or his team would ever say "well, this doesn't work on the CSS so we can't add this character..." He has broken tradition before, so I don't see how this lends itself to the roster/leak being fake.

I can tell you put a lot of work into this logic though, so don't feel like I'm trying to disregard you! This is just what I think...
It's not that they wouldn't add the characters; it's that if they'd planned to add those characters, they would've ordered the CSS differently to account for them. This CSS wasn't made with those characters in mind.

Last edited:

Repiteo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Repiteo
Isn't it possible that the single-rep series swap around the multi-rep series while staying in order, and the multi-rep series swap around the single-rep series while staying in order?
This is very feasible. It looks like this exact thing already happened with G&W being on the top row as he is.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
It's not that they wouldn't add the characters; it's that if they'd planned to add those characters, they would've ordered the CSS differently to account for them. This CSS wasn't made with those characters in mind.
Would the CSS not made with the 3 clones in mind affect anything?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And here I just thought Mr. Game and Watch on the top was a clever reference to Game and Wario. :p

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
This leak actually turned out okay if it is real. For the roster, at least. We could've had a Mark Kart 8 situation on our hands.

StarKun

Smash Champion
NNID
Star-Kun
so about that smash bros 3 modder.

did he ever post proof that he, shun and ninka got the leak first?

Espio264

Smash Ace
Forgive me if somebody has already said this, but I just saw the Metal Sonic screens, and I don't believe it for a second. I mean, Metal Sonic would be awesome, but there are multiple points as to why this is stupid:

First: Sonic and Metal Sonic might have the same height/dimensions, but the way they move is completely different. METAL SONIC FLOATS. And Sonic's every move depends on one foot after the other. It would be an unfaithful costume if it were true.

Second: If this were to be believed, then the inclusion of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit would then be false. If a character who moves differently from his source character is just a texture swap, then there is absolutely no way that the other two, (another Mario, and a mirror image of Pit) should be their own character, when they should move EXACTLY the same as the original. Even if their attacks/equipment differ.

Sakurai is neither this biased nor this stupid to let these two contradicting things happen. (Even if you wager that Metal Sonic isn't a Nintendo All Star, or notable third party character and shouldn't merit his own slot.)

I love me some Metal Sonic, but this is such crap. And as much as I'm against Dark Pit and Doc as anything more than costumes, that's a whole lot more believable.

Also, I really enjoy the idea of the 7 Koopa Kids as Jr.'s alts, but I think that idea is in the same boat of contradictory and thus unbelievable.

Last edited:

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
Not really; they'd still have to get around Pokemon. That'd take five things before it to push them all to Row #5, and if there are only five characters to add, then if Mewtwo is one of them, that's out.

They could've set up some convoluted formula to shift things around to keep the multi-character series in one piece, but that's simply not believable. In Brawl, the character order was fixed; they just let things be a mess until it was finished. I don't buy that they'd make the characters jump back and forth wildly like never before just to keep the scrolling from cutting off a series on an incomplete CSS. Especially when they let the scrolling cut off the Zelda series in the demos!

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Compilation of some (stupid) comics I made in the older thread :

The Hype Train is real at least imo.
This leak is a part of why this game is awesome ; speculations.

Real or fake, I'm excited about it anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Indeed, this altogether, although it COULD fit in that time frame, doesn't seem likely.
Well, there we have it folks. It's not likely that this is fake. Which means it's likely that this is a true leak. I'm likely going to go insane until confirmation from Sakurai.

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
Would the CSS not made with the 3 clones in mind affect anything?
Not at all. They're all at the bottom and don't come into play.

They could've reshaped the rows and columns to add them, but in that case they could just as easily rearrange the characters to account for that.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Forgive me if somebody has already said this, but I just saw the Metal Sonic screens, and I don't believe it for a second. I mean, Metal Sonic would be awesome, but there are multiple points as to why this is stupid:

First: Sonic and Metal Sonic might have the same height/dimensions, but the way they move is completely different. METAL SONIC FLOATS. And Sonic's every move depends on one foot after the other. It would be an unfaithful costume if it were true.

Second: If this were to be believed, then the inclusion of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit would then be false. If a character who moves differently from his source character is just an texture swap, then there is absolutely no way that the other two, (another Mario, and a mirror image of Pit) should move EXACTLY the same as the original even if their attacks/equipment differ.

Sakurai is neither this biased nor this stupid to let these two contradicting things happen. (Even if you wager that Metal Sonic isn't a Nintendo All Star, or notable third party character and shouldn't merit his own slot.)

I love me some Metal Sonic, but this is such crap. And as much as I'm against Dark Pit and Doc as anything more than costumes, that's a whole lot more believable.

Also, I really enjoy the idea of the 7 Koopa Kids as Jr.'s alts, but I think that idea is in the same boat of contradictory and thus unbelievable.
I'm not defending the leak, but for the purpose of debate I'll counter your points.

1. Sakurai isn't exactly know for keeping true to the original games. For example, see how Wario is defaulted to WarioWare and Pit takes on a new design in Brawl.

2. Except he wouldn't make a third party clone if possible. The difference is origin.

Second: If this were to be believed, then the inclusion of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit would then be false. If a character who moves differently from his source character is just an texture swap, then there is absolutely no way that the other two, (another Mario, and a mirror image of Pit) should move EXACTLY the same as the original even if their attacks/equipment differ.

It was a video not screens. But I see your point. But I also see Dr.Mario and Dark Pit being there own characters because they're Nintendo characters that belong to franchises that have more than one character and Sonic wouldn't have more than one character being a third party.

There are points in it's favor and points against it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think it's real, but I don't care either way. The only part of this I'll wholeheartedly object to is the inclusion of Dark Pit as a separate character, but even so I'll be satisfied with what's here.

I am hopeful that people are right when they say that there are 5 more unconfirmed characters, as well as one more unconfirmed stage. Will make it more probable to see more interesting inclusions. Also, I'm very pro Mewtwo/Ridley/Chorus Kids(Rythm Girl).

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
I don't think it's real, but I don't care either way. The only part of this I'll wholeheartedly object to is the inclusion of Dark Pit as a separate character, but even so I'll be satisfied with what's here.

I am hopeful that people are right when they say that there are 5 more unconfirmed characters, as well as one more unconfirmed stage. Will make it more probable to see more interesting inclusions. Also, I'm very pro Mewtwo/Ridley/Chorus Kids(Rythm Girl).
Ridley disrupted the entire, keep that in mind.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Also, it's worth noting that this leak is separate from the main leak, and should be treated as such.
That would be extremly easy to fake.

1. Have some Photoshop skills and use the exact same picture as shown in this video (only that it is a pic of Bowser), remove Bowser, add inn Metal Sonic, and save each of the screens that has a different color as seperate pictures.

2. Use your phone and record your PC screen so it looks like you're recording the 3DS

3. Play the Smash menu song in the background

4. Cycle through the photos in the picture viewing software

I'm not falling for this :)

Anyways, this leak we're actually talking about... hmm... I believe it is the longest lasting leak we've got (Except the Gematsu leak). This scares me, as Doctor Mario and Dark Pit is something I NEVER want to see wasting two valueable character slots

BindingBlade

Smash Lord

1. Have some Photoshop skills and use the exact same picture as shown in this video (only that it is a pic of Bowser), remove Bowser, add inn Metal Sonic, and save each of the screens that has a different color as seperate pictures.

2. Use your phone and record your PC screen so it looks like you're recording the 3DS

Anyways, this leak we're actually talking about... hmm... I believe it is the longest lasting leak we've got (Except the Gematsu leak). This scares me, as Doctor Mario and Dark Pit is something I NEVER want to see wasting two valueable character slots
How even? Do you not understand there's an actual 3DS on there?

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage

If we get Ridley and Mewtwo, Sakurai is truly a gracious video game god.

Repiteo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Repiteo

They could've reshaped the rows and columns to add them, but in that case they could just as easily rearrange the characters to account for that.
Who's to say they won't though? They did that with the Pokemon series in Melee.

Here's a scenario: Ridley is unlocked in this CSS. He is put in the 5th row. Later on, Impa/Dixie is unlocked. Metroid jumps down to where Ridley is as a whole.

This is identical to when Jigglypuff/Pichu/Mewtwo were unlocked in Melee, and when Luigi shifted Pikachu down to them at a later point.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Ya know. If Dr Mario is at the bottom away from his series, then Dixie, Tetra or any other character could be too. Hell Shulk is randomly with the 3rd Party characters.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I'm not defending the leak, but for the purpose of debate I'll counter your points.

1. Sakurai isn't exactly know for keeping true to the original games. For example, see how Wario is defaulted to WarioWare and Pit takes on a new design in Brawl.

2. Except he wouldn't make a third party clone if possible. The difference is origin.
1. You're talking aesthetic changes, I'm referring to gait and mannerisms. Not nearly the same thing.

2. You're right. And for that very reason, Metal Sonic shouldn't even be a costume.

It was a video not screens. But I see your point. But I also see Dr.Mario and Dark Pit being there own characters because they're Nintendo characters that belong to franchises that have more than one character and Sonic wouldn't have more than one character being a third party.

There are points in it's favor and points against it.
Same goes for this. If he's going to attempt something with Sonic, he should get the same treatment as the others. But being third party, it doesn't seem as likely, therefore the whole Metal Sonic idea seems fanmade.

Dark Pit and Dr. Mario should be alts in my opinion. But Sakurai did say when Lucina got revealed that if a clone character has slight changes to their abilities they will take a slot.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYMHAAACAABnUYn9HXMxEA

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Also, it's worth noting that this leak is separate from the main leak, and should be treated as such.
Just figured I'd say this, I think this is fake. I'm pretty sure never before has an alternate costume changed the character's position.

Last edited:

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
So a lot of people seem to be expecting this character select screen to pair with others predicting similar rosters plus Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, and the Chorus Kids, such that those characters fill remaining spots on the character select screen.

I don't think that works.

Let's look at Row #2.

We can see that this row is packed with DK, Zelda, and Metroid characters. Adding even one more character to any of those games would cause it to overflow, forcing characters to the next row. Whether we add Dixie, Ridley, or both, we end up with Metroid characters split between Row #2 and Row #3. This strikes me as difficult to believe; that's how in-progress rosters work, not completed ones. The only way to fix it would be if we got either another Zelda character or a standalone character (like the Chorus Kids) somewhere else in the row to finish forcing the Metroid characters out.

So if we assume Dixie and Ridley, plus the Chorus Kids where they'd have to be, we get rows #2 and #3 looking like this:

Donkey Kong | Diddy Kong | Dixie Kong | Link | Zelda | Sheik | Ganondorf | Toon Link | Chorus Kids
Samus | ZSS | Ridley | Pit | Palutena | Marth | Ike | Robin | Kirby

Another problem! By adding two characters before them, the Kirby characters start getting pushed off Row #3. And Mewtwo isn't any place where it'd affect this. The only way to avoid a split Kirby roster would be if the unlisted fifth character is somewhere before Kirby.

But let's roll with that. Let's say that fifth character can show up somewhere useful (say, by being Ice Climbers) and pushes Kirby down to Row #4, so that the whole Kirby series is in a row there. Does that work? Let's see how Row #4 looks now.

Kirby | Dedede | Meta Knight | Little Mac | Fox | Falco | Pikachu | Charizard | Lucario

No matter where you stick Mewtwo, there's no fixing this. The Pokemon roster is split between rows #4 and #5 and there's no preventing it. Not without arbitrarily teleporting large numbers of characters around the screen, that is.

CONCLUSION: It is possible to add five characters to the "leaked" CSS to make it take on the shape of a rectangle. However, if that set of characters includes DK and/or Metroid characters (as in the Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie claims people like to link to this), Brawl-style CSS scrolling will displace the previous characters in such a way that will result in splitting even more series' character lineups. Therefore, I do not believe the Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie roster is compatible with the "leaked" CSS.

Interesting stuff. But what if the 5 remaining characters are Wolf, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Lucas and Chorus Men? I seem to recall a mod said those vets were dead only to be followed up by someone saying he may have misspoke. It would mean DHD and Rob would get knocked to the bottom row, but none of the franchises with more than one rep would need to be split.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
About Mr. Game & Watch being besides Wario, it could also be a reference to the Game & Watch Gallery series that primarily features Mario characters on the menus and the remade versions of G&W games.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Just figured I'd say this, I think this is fake. I'm pretty sure never before has an alternate costume changed the character's position.
Wario changes, as well as Wii Fit Trainer, Villager... ?
Or I don't understand what you mean ?

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
This scares me, as Doctor Mario and Dark Pit is something I NEVER want to see wasting two valueable character slots
I see this type of thinking a lot, and while it makes sense, I don't think they are necessarily "taking up a spot." As characters who might be easier to program, they could possibly be worked on later in development when resources are taken away from characters and are focused on other things. Or maybe the Pit designers and developers had some downtime and were able to quickly make Dark Pit. Even though it takes time to make these clones, to shouldn't be thought of as time taken away from creating other characters.

This is Smash, not America's Next Top Model!

Repiteo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Repiteo
Dark Pit isn't the same character as Pit - he's Pit's other half. Dr. Mario is Mario, though. I like them, but point taken. Touchè.
Being an alternative version of another character hasn't stopped their requests before. Heck, Paper Mario is one of the most requested characters period, and he's just as much Mario as Dr. Mario is.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Being an alternative version of another character hasn't stopped their requests before. Heck, Paper Mario is one of the most requested characters period, and he's just as much Mario as Dr. Mario is.
But realistically Paper Mario shouldn't be a clone, he is completely different in abilities than Mario.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
Wario has, unless I'm understanding your point incorrectly...

Edit: Whoops, sorry! Someone already posted this.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL the only alternate costume that has been in smash before this game and it is against your point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom