• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
Well, this changes things. This means that Ridley is no longer strictly deconfirmed by the ad showing all star mode without him next to Samus. Though, while his chances are still slim in my opinion, they aren't zero just yet anymore. Of course, this potd should pretty much make everyone happy, as there could be anyone else left that didn't appear on the esrb roster.

Ryuutakeshi brings up good counterpoints, though.
This was an incomplete build, so the all-star screen may not have been programmed for the switch.
The images are compiled from two different unlock periods in the build
And don't forget the whole "over 40 characters!" thing...

Last edited:

Darkcaster95

Smash Rookie
Well, I now fully believe that the Leaked CSS is incomplete. I wouldn't mind if it was complete, but I am even more hyped that there are more characters on the way.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
As I stated in the PotD thread, I firmly believe that CSS was incomplete, and Sakurai kinda helps to further cement that. I can't imagine the final roster of the game looking that ugly presentation wise.

So fear not Ice Climber fans, Wolf fans, Mewtwo fans, Ridley fans, King K Rool fans, and whoever else wants their character in. There may possibly be hope yet.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Well, this changes things. This means that Ridley is no longer strictly deconfirmed by the ad showing all star mode without him next to Samus. Though, while his chances are still slim in my opinion, they aren't zero just yet anymore. Of course, this potd should pretty much make everyone happy, as there could be anyone else left that didn't appear on the esrb roster.

Ryuutakeshi brings up good counterpoints, though.

And don't forget the whole "over 40 characters!" thing...
If I remember rightly that screen didn't have ZSS either. That should have been proof anyway.

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
It's so close, I can almost taste it! I am glad though...that leakers didn't come out with extra information (that may or may not be fabricated) that could possibly spoil the surprise of some of the most-wanted characters. Though I will admit...I'm curious as to what Ridley's render would look like.
I'm really hoping for his Regular design like everyone else and not his Other m version

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It all depends on which showed up first on that video - the all star mode with the padlock or the character select screen? If it's the former then it means nothing but if it's the latter...this is assuming the video showed different stages of the game.

Last edited:

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Well wasn't Zero Suit Samus born in 2004 really?
Samus was first seen out of her suit on the NES, that surely counts as Zero Suit Samus. I mean if not you could make that argument for a lot of characters if they weren't seen in the exact same clothes until a certain year.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Is it me, or in the POTD, it looked like that he already unlocked the characters, deleted the character files, and unlocked the ones that are confirmed according to website? If that is the case, I think that pic was very well played.

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Alright I want to make my final prediction now. We're close enough to launch for me to give my last guess as to what's going to happen.

The game is going to launch with exactly what we've seen. Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr, Dark Pit, etc etc.
However, after all of the characters are unlocked, the padlock will remain.

At some point after the launch of the 3DS version, Sakurai will make a daily post teasing more characters to come.

To celebrate the Wii U version launching, they will release the final 3-5 characters, at which point the padlock will disappear.

This is my theory. No more changing my mind.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Samus was first seen out of her suit on the NES, that surely counts as Zero Suit Samus. I mean if not you could make that argument for a lot of characters if they weren't seen in the exact same clothes until a certain year.
Yeah but it's specifically "zero suit" Samus with her paralyzer and everything from Zero Mission. Even her alternate costume comes from that game.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yes she was seen out of her suit on the NES, but the actual Zero Suit didn't debut until much later.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Yeah but it's specifically "zero suit" Samus with her paralyzer and everything from Zero Mission. Even her alternate costume comes from that game.
Surely "Zero Suit Samus" just means her in the costume she wears under the suit.

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
If I remember rightly that screen didn't have ZSS either. That should have been proof anyway.
Yeah, she wasn't. But I assume she'll be in a later section since Sakurai probably considers her to have been introduced in Zero Mission or the Prime games. Either way, it's irrelevant now, because of the Potd.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I still believe that that is the final roster. Remember, this leaker didn't play the game, he watched footage of the game, the part with the all star mode and CSS could have been recorded at different times.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Fair enough, I guess I misunderstood the meaning of Zero Suit.

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough, I guess I misunderstood the meaning of Zero Suit.
By this quote "The characters you fight against appear pretty much in chronological order", you can see that Sakurai may be thinking of it loosely anyway. Like for example, he might separate Ganondorf from Zelda and Link, even though he's technically Ganon, who was introduced in the same game as them. It's just the way he sees it for this game.

Is it me, or in the POTD, it looked like that he already unlocked the characters, deleted the character files, and unlocked the ones that are confirmed according to website? If that is the case, I think that pic was very well played.
Did you read Sakurai's post? You don't need to unlock all the characters to play all-star anymore.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Well wasn't Zero Suit Samus born in 2004 really? I don't think she'd be unlockable anyways so she should have been there otherwise.
This is faulty logic. Zero Suit Samus appears playable (through a code) in the original Metroid NES:

You might say that doesn't equal this:

But if you're holding up to that standard, then the same could be said about Ridley. From the same Metroid NES game, how does this:

at all equal this (we are confirmed to at least get a design similar to "Other M" Ridley):

Besides, unlike Zero Suit Samus, this Other M Ridley actually could have a good excuse as to why he isn't in the 1986 group, and that's because the Other M Ridley is a clone of the real Ridley.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your recent post.

Last edited:

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
By this quote "The characters you fight against appear pretty much in chronological order", you can see that Sakurai may be thinking of it loosely anyway. Like for example, he might separate Ganondorf from Zelda and Link, even though he's technically Ganon, who was introduced in the same game as them. It's just the way he sees it for this game.

Did you read Sakurai's post? You don't need to unlock all the characters to play all-star anymore.

Oh, right. I read the post again and must have missed that. My bad.

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
This is faulty logic. Zero Suit Samus appears playable (through a code) in the original Metroid NES:

You might say that doesn't equal this:

But if you're holding up to that standard, then the same could be said about Ridley. From the same Metroid NES game, how does this:

at all equal this (we are confirmed to at least get a design similar to "Other M" Ridley):

Besides, unlike Zero Suit Samus, this Other M Ridley actually could have a good excuse as to why he isn't in the 1986 group, and that's because the Other M Ridley is a clone of the real Ridley.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your recent post.
I agree with your post. But like I said above, Sakurai might take the chronological ordering of characters loosely. He might consider her to have been introduced in 2004 with that look and move set, even though he'll consider mario to have come out in 1981 even though back then in the arcades, he was quite different than the Mario now with Fludd and all of that. It's really no big deal though.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

I want to try and figure this out how all the characters will fit into that box without getting any smaller.:dizzy:
If we do this it might help us decide which character is going to be in.:shades:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Alright I want to make my final prediction now. We're close enough to launch for me to give my last guess as to what's going to happen.

The game is going to launch with exactly what we've seen. Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr, Dark Pit, etc etc.

At some point after the launch of the 3DS version, Sakurai will make a daily post teasing more characters to come.

To celebrate the Wii U version launching, they will release the final 3-5 characters, at which point the padlock will disappear.

I just want to say that while my girlfriend agrees with you and thinks that is a very interesting idea, I myself do not see why Sakurai would do something like that. Still, I acknowledge that you may well be right.

I want to try and figure this out how all the characters will fit into that box without getting any smaller.:dizzy:
If we do this it might help us decide which character is going to be in.:shades:
At most that is going to fit 36 characters.

Last edited:

gamer8

Smash Lord

What do you mean? It looks like I think 7 rows from there which would be 42 characters so I guess they will have to shrink down a bit.

Well 6 or 7 rows, hard to tell.

Last edited:

uebo7

Smash Apprentice

I don't think we can gather much from that. It seems like that would only make a 6x5 grid which isn't even the 48 roster we already know about. Also it's missing confirmed characters like Gamer and Watch. I'm thinking the boxes scale to the appropriate size that will fit when you begin all-star mode, and it scales them based on how many characters you've unlocked/will be facing.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627

That grid is either 6x5 or 6x6. So that means there's either 30 or 36 characters that could fit there. I wouldn't count that as any kind of evidence.

Staccato

Smash Cadet

I agree. It sounds like a plausible scenario, and it would make sense for the All-Star Mode to be "unlocked yet still locked".

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman

Given that the bottom screen is the touch screen, then that part could be scrollable once you surpass 36 characters. Rows of six characters huh? Just saying, 54 is divisible by 6.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Why do I need to see it? It sounds lie your turning a very minute difference, even a turn of phrase, and basing it into an entire illogical theory. You are then clinging to the very, very insufficient data we have from screenshots of unconfirmed images from the CSS at various points during the roster being situated, and claiming it as evidence towards that which we know not for what it stands.
Have you only played Melee & Brawl with the full rosters? There isn't going to be a video of the roster sliding around because it's not something that you watch happen. You have a roster, unlock so and so, come back to the roster screen and the character is already there. It doesn't squeeze in before your eyes. It's just there.

Like, here's how Brawl starts: http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/2/23/Brawl_Starters_NTSC.png
Then it becomes this: http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/9/93/Character_Selection_-_Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl.png

Starts with an incomplete 2x8 grid, then becomes a full 9x4 grid. Characters get squeezed in & shoved forward.

Melee started with this: http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/2/25/Melee_Starter_Characters.png
And then becomes this: http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/f/f8/Character_selection_melee.png

6 characters get slapped onto the roster, and most importantly, Pikachu is between Mario & Bowser in the start, then he just slides to the bottom and Luigi replaces him.

We already know that SSB4 copies Brawl's concept of characters squeezing in and changing the size of the icons. Starts with 5x8 and becomes a 6x9 grid, pushing characters to other rows.

There's no confirmation that characters are going to actually switch places, but Melee has already shown that it is a thing that happens.

Kain6th

Smash Ace

Just wanted to put out the possibility that there could be a second page to that. once most to all the characters get unlocked

Last edited:

Dims

Smash Cadet
Sakurai is definitely playing along with the leak, that much is obvious now. Smart move.

My theory is that some of the roster (~5 characters is my guess) is being saved for the Wii U launch, with what we've seen in the leak being the full roster at 3DS launch. That way the hype doesn't die early, and that also explains why All-Star Mode is designed this way this time around.

mewtwo pls

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
What if Sakurai knew leaks would happen and decided not to throw the whole roster build ?
What if... the PAX build was not even the final one with all the characters ?

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
Please explain. Never heard of it.
In the recent Smash4 trailers in Japan, they say something like "Play as over 40 characters!". When you think about the fact that the leaked roster+Miis is 49, it seems as though that could be all there is. Because if there were over 50 characters, the trailer would want to boast having over 50 characters instead. It's true that 53 is still over 40, but in advertising, they usually choose the biggest number to claim something is over. It doesn't confirm the roster is final, but it's something to consider. The new Potd has made me question things again.

edit: Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OT5HX9QolQ
It's at around 10 seconds in.

Last edited:

Kain6th

Smash Ace
In the recent Smash4 trailers in Japan, they say something like "Play as over 40 characters!". When you think about the fact that the leaked roster+Miis is 49, it seems as though that could be all there is. Because if there were over 50 characters, the trailer would want to boast having over 50 characters instead. It's true that 53 is still over 40, but in advertising, they usually choose the biggest number to claim something is over. It doesn't confirm the roster is final, but it something to consider. The new Potd has made me question things again.

edit: Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OT5HX9QolQ
It's at around 10 seconds in.
It could also have said "over 45 characters" as well.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice

While plausible, I honestly don't see that happening, I mean your reasoning is fine and all, but why should we wait for the Wii U release to finally unlock the rest of the roster? It's like Sakurai is saying "hey, you have this padlock that tells you, that you haven't unlocked everything. Oh you've completely unlocked everything and the lock is still there? Guess what? You have to wait until the Wii U release to truly unlock everything! Surprise!"

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
It could also have said "over 45 characters" as well.
Yes, but that wouldn't have been much different. Well, I guess it's more specific, but typically with these types of phrases, they go by 10s if they can. I see what you're saying, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom