• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Do NOT believe the leak, it is 100% fake. Sakurai would NEVER release Smash Bros characters with the texture like that, especially if you see the fur they added to Fox, Sakurai would have added feathers to Falco. If you look closely enough at all of the 13 leaked characters, the quality of texture is very poor, and looks like it could have been made in a day.

Also if you look at the 3DS roster, you could see how sharp the edges on the boxes are. Remember this is a 3DS. It's only natural to have the boxes having their own personal space so the 3D effect can actually take effect.

Just because Nintendo did some removing stuff to the leak does not mean this leak is real.

I know how many of you will hate on me for my well-thought reasoning and come up with the stupidest counters, but I'm blocking this site from my computer so I can never see it again since it hurts to be a part of this community.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Do NOT believe the leak, it is 100% fake. Sakurai would NEVER release Smash Bros characters with the texture like that, especially if you see the fur they added to Fox, Sakurai would have added feathers to Falco. If you look closely enough at all of the 13 leaked characters, the quality of texture is very poor, and looks like it could have been made in a day.

Also if you look at the 3DS roster, you could see how sharp the edges on the boxes are. Remember this is a 3DS. It's only natural to have the boxes having their own personal space so the 3D effect can actually take effect.

Just because Nintendo did some removing stuff to the leak does not mean this leak is real.

I know how many of you will hate on me for my well-thought reasoning and come up with the stupidest counters, but I'm blocking this site from my computer so I can never see it again since it hurts to be a part of this community.
Decent points, we'll wait and see what happens.

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
Didn't Sakurai say he wasn't considering DLC at one point?
I believe he stated that he wasn't considering DLC at the current time. Meaning there is still a high possibility for it to appear in the future, just not immediately.

As for the leak, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Isabelle was a Villager clone, though the Assist Trophy makes it a lot harder to believe. That still doesn't completely dismiss it however, as Sakurai has created exceptions to rules in the past. I also recall someone posting Bowser Jr.'s moveset to Reddit, and everyone immediately called it fake and preposterous, but then it was proven true by the video evidence later on. Leaks are always disregarded initially, but the lack of evidence doesn't mean it can't be true, it just means we should maintain a reasonable degree of skepticism while still considering possibilities.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993

Actually I think a lot of people hope your right, and you can't blame people for believing the leak.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
I'm a little surprised there's still people who don't believe this leak. I can understand not liking it, or having problems with it, but seriously, everything is pointing to it being real. I think it's better to just accept it as real and be surprised if it isn't. Less disappointment that way.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

Fair points, but um, how do you explain the videos of gameplay?
EDIT: Never mind, looks like you're leaving but, why does it hurt to be part of this community? I mean, just because we think a legit looking video could be real?

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If this leak is fake then give the faker a bloody medal.

There's a lot more reasons to believe it is real than fake. The reasons for the latter are purely gut feelings or nitpicking at minor things.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
what I believe the CSS leak is that the leaked cartride werent the final product! I admit it, I think the CSS is ugly as hell, but it might be changed at the final release! even there, all the characters werent even unlocked

MugiMikey

Smash Rookie

I think it's real. In the videos, you can clearly see the same art used in the roster leak for Bowser Jr.

Not only that but from what I can see, Wario's trophy matches his character art in the roster photo. The picture of Wario's trophy is in the same batch of pictures that has one that matches up with today's POTD.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

It's fine sharing your opinion, but that last part was very unnecessary.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
This is effectively running in the room, shouting something out, and then running out with your hands in your ears "shouting LALALA i can't hear you"!
The portraits have Higher definition versions of themselves which aren't being used for the CSS. you can check shulk's portrait in the "final battle" screen to see just that.

Last edited:

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Not buying that this isn't the complete roster until I see visual evidence of more characters unlocked. Anything that says we are to get 4-5 other characters are just text leaks, right? When did we start to trust them?

fanboss2

Smash Apprentice
Not buying that this isn't the complete roster until I see visual evidence of more characters unlocked. Anything that says we are to get 4-5 other characters are just text leaks, right? When did we start to trust them?
There's also the fact that the All Star Mode is locked. Doesn't mean that much, but usually you have to unlock all the characters to unlock the All Star mode.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
It's not that people trust the text leaks. It's that the All-star mode in the leak we're 95% sure of has a lock on it (which seems to indicate not everyone has been unlocked). It also makes a bit of sense since Nintendo might not hand ALL of their content for ESRB reviewing to one employee/might not need to actually show off every character for the ESRB (only the ones that would potentially change the rating).

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
There's also the fact that the All Star Mode is locked. Doesn't mean that much, but usually you have to unlock all the characters to unlock the All Star mode.
And the roster being a bit mixed up is further evidence I think. Lucina should be next to the Fire Emblem dudes. Unless things have changed.

SpikedShell

Smash Rookie
That's very true but what other characters are they going to fill those spaces with

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
It's not that people trust the text leaks. It's that the All-star mode in the leak we're 95% sure of has a lock on it (which seems to indicate not everyone has been unlocked). It also makes a bit of sense since Nintendo might not hand ALL of their content for ESRB reviewing to one employee/might not need to actually show off every character for the ESRB (only the ones that would potentially change the rating).
All of this, and a whole bunch of wishful thinking. At least for me. ^__^

And to be honest, I've still got a slight shadow of doubt over the leak. It's still possible that this is a massive hoax, however unlikely. Weirder things have happened. I think...?

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
That's very true but what other characters are they going to fill those spaces with
choose from Lucas, Ice climbers, wolf, Snake, Dixie kong, King K Rool, Ridley, Impa, Mach rider, Mewtwo, chorus kids. They could fill up those slots with anyone

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman

And to be honest, I've still got a slight shadow of doubt over the leak. It's still possible that this is a massive hoax, however unlikely. Weirder things have happened. I think...?
Fake video leaks have happened before, but it's worth mentioning that they normally don't get THIS MUCH right. It is still a possibility that the video leak is just a very detailed Brawl hack with some post-editing done to insert things like Bowser Jr. hitting the front of the screen. It does seem to just subtly edge over that limit of what someone would be willing to do, effort-wise (not scale-wise), to mess with people for a couple of weeks though. So yeah. It's got about a 95% chance of being real. I'm pretty sure I've seen people mock-up fake demos video of games that were coming out before though (Not that I can remember ANY of them beyond it happening)...

So, I wouldn't say STRANGER things have happened, but I've seen equally strange things happen.

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711

It's impossible for it to be fake, especially after that Pic of the day.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I don't want to believe these leaks, more clones, Ganondorf seemingly not getting a revamped moveset...not even based on Hyrule Warriors where he looks awesome with weapons and dark magic over random punching and kicking, but it seems legit at this point.

Bowser Jr. seems cool, I hope the rumor of being able to swap between Koopalings is true!

I haven't played Shulk's games but he seems interesting.

Duck Hunt Dog would be one of my most played fighters if he has a fun moveset.

Clones meh.

If we get additional characters that are not unlocked yet or are DLC later...I hope they won't be clones or semi-clones...

Dixie being a clone of Diddy would be horrendous with the amount of possibilities for a moveset she has...

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, everyone who says fake now is in straight denial. I guess if you really don't want to believe it you could make a point that the leak overall was real, but parts in it were faked like the roster screen. But you'd still in denial, you'd be dumb to not believe this leak, even if it would magically turn out to be fake.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
But... The pic of the day and the leak image are the same and even share one challenge. And from the same leak, you can see Dark Pit and DocMario AND Shulk. I mean come on now, that plus video plus... like... all the things we got since last week... That's just WAY too much to be considered as a fake now.
Indeed. I mean, even when we consider all that, imagine the amount of work required to possibly fake all that, how much time it would have took, especialy for one person (or a small team), and then have ready information and renders of characters just recently announced like Meta Knight.

If they did tho, then they are REALLY wasting themselves on fake leaks and should make some awesome games instead, but all Im saying is, its more reasonable at this point to believe that its a legit leak, just too much evidence.

Also, briefly going over the comment by CandyIsSweet, that was 3DS footage recorded using a phone camera most likely, I would not speak about quality of models juuuust yet.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Quote with links.
...And that's enough to put it beyond a reasonable doubt, but not a shadow of it. Hence the 95% comment.

There are still perfectly reasonable scenarios that CAN occur that would explain that. They're not likely, but they're not things that people would freak out if they happened. One of those is that the leaker is a Nintendo employee/ex-employee but leaked a stack of incorrect information to mess with people. The Omega symbol for Final Destination was apparently known about as the name for Final Destination mode in non-english speaking countries beforehand, and someone could've had access to the challenges screen. Even more likely would be that Nintendo themselves could released a fake leak to scare off the other fake leaks or detect employees that were trying to leak or just misinform the public. It's not their MO, but it's definitely the kind of thing that have happened with other companies.

Once again, it's pretty open and shut though. If this was a murder trial, I'd be putting down the guilty verdict on this one. Still, while someone shouldn't be going out of their way to find evidence to disprove it at this point, it's equally silly to not keep an open eye for obvious differences if and when they pop up. Even when leaks are completely genuine, they're usually not 100% accurate because things can change in development between the time the footage and shots are taken and the time they're released. For instance, the character and stage select screen might be placeholder art or certain bits of content could be handed out to only certain employees at this point. We don't know WHEN these pictures or footage were taken and we don't know how far the build was when they were shown beyond it being fairly recent and fairly late in the process. The build NoA has could be a few weeks behind the Japanese one.

Similarly, it's entirely possible that parts of the leak that haven't been specifically confirmed by PotD posts could be fabricated for fun and extra content on the leak or could be outdated information or some of the info could've been intentionally false to identify leakers. It's not LIKELY, but it is not an unheard of possibility. So, it's not unreasonable for people to be skeptical about specific unconfirmed bits of the leak itself. A leak doesn't have to be all true or all false.

Like I said, the video bits and the parts that sync up with the PotD are pretty incriminating. While there are some possibilities of how they could've faked, they most likely aren't. Still, there's a FAR difference between "very very unlikely" and "impossible", and this is a, if I'm reading the title correctly, a speculation thread. So, you can't really be insulting or patronizing people for speculating on the nature of the information we've been given.

Edit: To put it in a simpler argument. The Gematsu leak, whether you believe it was real or just a statistical chance that someone would get some of the earlier info correct and was intentionally vague with some safe guesses on later ones and got caught on the Chrom bit, had incorrect information in it. Speculating individual portions of a leak is, by no means, an unfruitful endeavor; especially in a speculation thread.

There's really no need for the shocked disbelief, patronizing platitudes, and holier than thou attitudes to people that are still skeptical on elements or even the whole leak.

Last edited:

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
If you want something bad enough, you can justify any logic.

I see no reason to believe that we're getting any more characters. It's possible, and I'm not ruling it out, but this leak puts us at 17 newcomers, one short of Brawl's 18 newcomers. There is room for 5 more roster squares in the leaked CSS, but how likely is it we'll get 20+ newcomers (the most in any SSB game) when Sakurai himself said they're not focusing on expanding the roster? I think the fact that we're getting 17 newcomers and 51 characters is impressive itself. More characters would be great, but it's better to keep expectations low. We have no concrete proof whatsoever for Dixie, Mewtwo, Ridley, or any of the other fan-favorite character, so expecting 5 of them is just asking to be disappointed.

Also, doubting this leak as a whole now, while not 100% impossible, is a bit of a stretch of the imagination. At this point we have had three PotD menu screens line up exactly with what leaked screenshots showed us days earlier. That proof is virtually irrefutable. And the bottom of the CSS is visible in one of the pics leaked along with those menu screens from the same source, lending it solid evidence as well. That leaked CSS matches the earlier CSS leaks perfectly, including shared character renders. Yet the CSS leaks came first, so there was no way those renders could have been stolen from real leaks and edited into fake CSS's. And as any Brawl modder could tell you, the videos we have seen might be theoretically possible to make in Brawl, but they would be one of the most ambitious and accurate mods ever created.

Last edited:

fanboss2

Smash Apprentice
Very long quote
This could make a great fiction, a group of guys that spend month analyzing everything and making The Perfect Fake lol

I understand what you're saying and respect that point of view, even though I would definitely freak out if this is fake... I mean the amount of work that it would require is just insane !

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
...And that's enough to put it beyond a reasonable doubt, but not a shadow of it. Hence the 95% comment.

There are still perfectly reasonable scenarios that CAN occur that would explain that. They're not likely, but they're not things that people would freak out if they happened. One of those is that the leaker is a Nintendo employee/ex-employee but leaked a stack of incorrect information to mess with people. The Omega symbol for Final Destination was apparently known about as the name for Final Destination mode in non-english speaking countries beforehand, and someone could've had access to the challenges screen. Even more likely would be that Nintendo themselves could released a fake leak to scare off the other fake leaks or detect employees that were trying to leak or just misinform the public. It's not their MO, but it's definitely the kind of thing that have happened with other companies.

Once again, it's pretty open and shut though. If this was a murder trial, I'd be putting down the guilty verdict on this one. Still, while someone shouldn't be going out of their way to find evidence to disprove it at this point, it's equally silly to not keep an open eye for obvious differences if and when they pop up. Even when leaks are completely genuine, they're usually not 100% accurate because things can change in development between the time the footage and shots are taken and the time they're released. For instance, the character and stage select screen might be placeholder art or certain bits of content could be handed out to only certain employees at this point. We don't know WHEN these pictures or footage were taken and we don't know how far the build was when they were shown beyond it being fairly recent and fairly late in the process. The build NoA has could be a few weeks behind the Japanese one.

Similarly, it's entirely possible that parts of the leak that haven't been specifically confirmed by PotD posts could be fabricated for fun and extra content on the leak or could be outdated information or some of the info could've been intentionally false to identify leakers. It's not LIKELY, but it is not an unheard of possibility. So, it's not unreasonable for people to be skeptical about specific unconfirmed bits of the leak itself. A leak doesn't have to be all true or all false.

Like I said, the video bits and the parts that sync up with the PotD are pretty incriminating. While there are some possibilities of how they could've faked, they most likely aren't. Still, there's a FAR difference between "very very unlikely" and "impossible", and this is a, if I'm reading the title correctly, a speculation thread. So, you can't really be insulting or patronizing people for speculating on the nature of the information we've been given.
This is all I meant when I said I still had a shadow of a doubt. There's always a tiny, itsy bitsy possibility things aren't what they appear. The thing is, we don't know the actual timeframe of the info we've gotten, how out of date it may be or how incomplete it is, so I'm not willing to take it as gospel. I'm willing to concede that it's almost certainly real, but I still have to leave in that "almost" because it ain't over til it's over. It's the people who act like they know it's real (or fake, for that matter) that wind up getting blindsided by Sakurai.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The major difference between Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 on the DLC front is that one game was made by an internal studio and the other isn't. I know people would like DLC if their favorite doesn't get in (I would too, because I doubt Ridley will playable at this point), but I'm hesitant to think Namco is going to let their developers work on Smash any longer than they have to.

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
If you want something bad enough, you can justify any logic.

I see no reason to believe that we're getting any more characters. It's possible, and I'm not ruling it out, but this leak puts us at 17 newcomers, one short of Brawl's 18 newcomers. There is room for 5 more roster squares in the leaked CSS, but how likely is it we'll get 20+ newcomers (the most in any SSB game) when Sakurai himself said they're not focusing on expanding the roster?
In all fairness, some of those are confirmed clones that were originally costumes but got an extra bit of polish in the late parts of development (like Lucina). So, you probably shouldn't count them in Sakurai's estimate of not expecting as many newcomers. Also, wasn't the quote specifically about how we shouldn't expect "many more characters" than previous installments? That could either means it's only a slight improvement over previous (ie. 20 vs. 18 when some people were HONESTLY expecting a 60 character roster) or the character total (which is sitting at only 13 more characters than brawl IF you count mii fighters as 3 which WOULD be the smallest increase in smash history).

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
People have to stop thinking that don't trusting in this leak will change the roster.

What we saw is in the game, no doubt of that now. That's the only concrete thing we have. Not believing it will not change thet fact that Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Bowser Jr., Shulk and Duck Hunt are there.

But there are many thing that we don't have 100% confirmation yet. One is that's if the full roster was already be seen or not. There are many factor for and against it, but this is the only factor we don't have confirmation for.

This is worth speculation. It's in this you guys have to hold on if you have faith more characters may still be added.

Really, the time of disbelieving this leak have already gone, with all those youtube videos of Bowser Jr. gameplays.

There is an IF still there. Until Sakurai himself says it; or we see some scans of the finished Japanese CSS, then there's still a bit of doubt.

We have screens leaked that were never seen before and now with the last few POTD, we can see that they are identical.

Leak:

Today's POTD:

Leak:

Monday's POTD:

If you wish to be stubborn about it then fine, just wait until the Japan release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom