• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
Exactly, another reason this could be fake.
Why would someone risk their job, and possibly even their money, just to leak something?
My understanding is that someone from the ESRB decided to show some people, but had no intention of leaking it. Unfortunately, he shouldn't have trusted his friends, and it got out. It has, supposedly, been in circulation for a few weeks before coming out.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Yeah, I kind of wonder about this as well. According to the ESRB's site, review groups can be as small as three people. I doubt it would take a huge amount of effort to find out who was responsible. I admit that there's a fair bit going for the leak so far, but it seems strange that someone would leak images that can so easily be traced back to them. Especially since getting caught (which they almost certainly will if Nintendo pursues the matter) will probably mean getting blacklisted by the games industry.

Source on the ESRB thing: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp
Wait, review groups can be as small as three? Okay, so if this is legit, whoever leaked it is ****ed up. If it's true, the names are probably there for Nintendo to track the different groups, so if anything is leaked they'd know who to go to. Also, if this is a legit leak, why wouldn't the person go and censor/block the 3DS name? Wouldn't that make it easier for Nintendo to sue whoever did it?

I just don't see why anybody would give up their job and possibly a lot of money just for this. I'm thinking it's really fake now, unless somebody is just that dumb.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
My understanding is that someone from the ESRB decided to show some people, but had no intention of leaking it. Unfortunately, he shouldn't have trusted his friends, and it got out. It has, supposedly, been in circulation for a few weeks before coming out.
Either way, I'm sure it's against the rules to show some game stuff to the public.

D

Deleted member

Exactly, another reason this could be fake.
Why would someone risk their job, and possibly even their money, just to leak something?
That's where keeping the sources secret comes into play. These pictures might have never been meant to get out. They might have just been privately shared to a friend, and then a friend of the friend might have broken the trust of the original source and posted these. You can't really assume someone straight from the ESRB released these on their own.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh I'm not saying you're making anything up. I'm only saying that being a mod doesn't exactly make what you say more legit. For all you know I could secretly have all the inside information, or legitimately know someone who does, but even if I posted evidence most of you wouldn't believe me because I'm just a random, anonymous member on here.

As far as losing their reputation on here, it's far more crazy to believe that someone would risk losing their actual, paid job leaking information, than a mod being demoted or losing reputation on here.
Think of it this way. If I were to leak something fake, and the entire mod team backed it knowing it was fake, then the entire site itself would lose credibility. That's quite a bit of trust to place in something. That's all I'm saying.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
I figured it was a stupid red herring. Everyone who leaked this says stuff about "I must protect out job security" but why would they post where their job is from in the very leaked pics? It'd be so easy to fool Nintendo's Ninja team by writing ESRB on the leaks to make them investigate them instead of the real culprits.

The leak woulda felt more real without the silly ESRB junk @_@ The backstory we've created is borderline impossible.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
I figured it was a stupid red herring. Everyone who leaked this says stuff about "I must protect out job security" but why would they post where their job is from in the very leaked pics? It'd be so easy to fool Nintendo's Ninja team by writing ESRB on the leaks to make them investigate them instead of the real culprits.
So that's actually because we are looking at a few steps away. For example, anon DOES NOT work at the ESRB, but we do know information about where he IS. And he believes (and would know better than us) that him giving us more information about HOW he got these images would jeopardize his job. He is a source of the leak to the general public, but not the originator of them.

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Remember, see the second post on the first page if you have a question so a certaint someone doesn't get upset. :troll:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
I guess that's as likely as anything, but I kind of hope it isn't true. That's a really ****ty thing to do. Someone could potentially lose their job over it.
agreed, unfortunately that's the most believable theory for me, that or the leaker from ESRB was extremely careless.

backlot

Smash Journeyman
As far as taking what the mods say about this leak, we have absolutely nothing to gain in lying. I thought I set up a positive reputation for myself on this site to the point where people could trust what I'm saying.

You don't have to believe us, but I will tell you we aren't making this up. There is no conspiracy.
It would just be nice to know why we should trust your sources more than this one. At least as far as the DLC is concerned.

T

Trick or Treat

Think of it this way. If I were to leak something fake, and the entire mod team backed it knowing it was fake, then the entire site itself would lose credibility. That's quite a bit of trust to place in something. That's all I'm saying.
If the whole staff backed it knowing it was fake, then yes I understand that. But that'd be a silly thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
It would just be nice to know why we should trust your sources more than this one. At least as far as the DLC is concerned.
because they feel that their source is believable? How much could they say without giving something about the leaker away xD

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
agreed, unfortunately that's the most believable theory for me, that or the leaker from ESRB was extremely careless.
Another thing to think about is that it most likely doesn't go directly from the developers to the ESRB, I'm sure there are a few channels (internal and external) in between there. It could've happened anywhere along the way.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
I bet if Ridley/Mewtwo was added to the roster you all wouldn't debunk the leak and believe it was real

lord you guys are spoiled

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
So that's actually because we are looking at a few steps away. For example, anon DOES NOT work at the ESRB, but we do know information about where he IS. And he believes (and would know better than us) that him giving us more information about HOW he got these images would jeopardize his job. He is a source of the leak to the general public, but not the originator of them.
That's right. He said he only had the pics not the game or anything. Still. Wouldn't have killed 'im to blur out the ESRB thing? Either way from what we know ESRB doesn't play the games so it still seems like a red herring or just a coincidence nickname. I use the nickname B.K. in a lot of games and get mistaken for BurgerKing. ESRB003 could just be like E.S.R. Boob or some ****. >.<

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Here are some interesting perspectives from the our Japanese Smash Brethren on the leak:
http://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/what-do-japanese-gamers-think-of-the-smash-leak/

One commenter brought up the fact that it was odd how in the CSS, the third parties were arranged :4pacman::4megaman::4sonic:, but their stages are presented in the order :4megaman::4pacman::4sonic:.
I'm glad you posted this. I didn't notice the third-party ordering, myself, that is a bit odd. I loved that first comment, and I found it interesting that even to the Japanese the name "Duck Hunt" apparently sounds odd.

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice
Wait, review groups can be as small as three? Okay, so if this is legit, whoever leaked it is ****ed up. If it's true, the names are probably there for Nintendo to track the different groups, so if anything is leaked they'd know who to go to. Also, if this is a legit leak, why wouldn't the person go and censor/block the 3DS name? Wouldn't that make it easier for Nintendo to sue whoever did it?

I just don't see why anybody would give up their job and possibly a lot of money just for this. I'm thinking it's really fake now, unless somebody is just that dumb.
Because apparently the leak was not meant to be leaked. The ESRB worker shared it with his/her friends and they leaked it

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm actually pretty happy with the leaked roster for the most part.

Is my Falco/more Mario characters bias showing?

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I Laughed So Hard when I saw the One Commentor who said Ganon Looked Like Mitzugriu (I Spelt that Wrong) Sheiguru That First Comment is also a great laugh :joyful:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oh I'm not saying you're making anything up. I'm only saying that being a mod doesn't exactly make what you say more legit. For all you know I could secretly have all the inside information, or legitimately know someone who does, but even if I posted evidence most of you wouldn't believe me because I'm just a random, anonymous member on here.

As far as losing their reputation on here, it's far more crazy to believe that someone would risk losing their actual, paid job leaking information, than a mod being demoted or losing reputation on here.
That's fine. At the moment we're just trying to do damage control as people on other sites are saying Smashboards/The Staff are spreading rumors.

As stated, some things that various users have looked into have been shared with much of the staff. What little has been shared does not include everything mentioned in these potential leaks nor can we fully prove any of it (not that we don't trust said users). So at the risk of the site's reputation/creditability, and if any of this stuff is real, to avoid any legal repercussions, we are keeping mum/continuing to look into things just like the rest of you are here.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I bet if Ridley/Mewtwo was added to the roster you all wouldn't debunk the leak and believe it was real

Nope, I'd still try and debunk it. Ridley, Bandana Dee, Isaac, Mewtwo, and King K. Rool could be added to it and I'd still think it's fake.

roosaurus

Smash Apprentice

We wouldn't. As not all characters are unlocked and it seems to line up with the Ninka leak and there was a speculation section that said MewTwo and Ridley

closetkpopfan

Smash Rookie
While I think the leak is real, and am cautiously optimistic of more characters, something really bothers me about all of this. Why not show the full roster? Why even tease to begin with? It reminds me of the CapnMuffin CSS leak where I knew it was fake right away because of the Ridley teasing. The point behind a leak is to leak, not string people along and tease them that there is more to come. That's exactly what trolls and fake leaks do.

However the fact that mods here and some other users that appear to have inside info seem to believe the leak and believe(some of them confidently I might add) that there are also more characters on the way makes me get my hopes up. If this is the final roster I'm going to be severely disappointed that some mods and other users all but confirmed more is coming.

Last edited:

backlot

Smash Journeyman
That's fine. At the moment we're just trying to do damage control as people on other sites are saying Smashboards/The Staff are spreading rumors.

As stated, some things that various users have looked into have been shared with much of the staff. What little has been shared does not include everything mentioned in these potential leaks nor can we fully prove any of it (not that we don't trust said users). So at the risk of the site's reputation/creditability, and if any of this stuff is real, to avoid any legal repercussions, we are keeping mum/continuing to look into things just like the rest of you are here.
Swamp clearly said the DLC is fake. Isn't that a mod spreading a rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom