• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Leaked Roster Surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnIgma24

Smash Cadet
I would say it's a fake i don't see ROB comming back and just don't think that dog have a chance to join the roster :/

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I..........just hate these leaks, we will know if they are real or not soon.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Besides, if there is a duck featured in DHD's character, it would be "Duck & Duck Hunt Dog" a la Rosalina & Luma and Pikmin & Olimar. It is missing an "& Duck" there ;(

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Leak confirmed fake. The origin of the leak is allegedly from the ESRB, but the ESRB does not play the games they rate: they are sent footage and screens of all game elements for review. If these are screens from Nintendo, why are they so unprofessionally tilted and grainy?

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp

Furthermore, where is the Mii Fighters icon? How are you supposed to select a Mii? If we assume that Miis are disabled in that leak, where would their icon go if they were enabled? There is only enough blank space on the roster to accommodate 5 more icons: the 5 DLC characters.

Spread this across SmashBoards. The leak is fake until proven otherwise.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
Was wondering when this would be posted.
Leak confirmed fake. The origin of the leak is allegedly from the ESRB, but the ESRB does not play the games they rate: they are sent footage and screens of all game elements for review. If these are screens from Nintendo, why are they so unprofessionally tilted and grainy?

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp

Furthermore, where is the Mii Fighters icon? How are you supposed to select a Mii? If we assume that Miis are disabled in that leak, where would their icon go if they were enabled? There is only enough blank space on the roster to accommodate 5 more icons: the 5 DLC characters.

Spread this across SmashBoards. The leak is fake until proven otherwise.
Mii Fighters are not activated because customization is off, you can even see it says off.

I think it's fake, but I really like Duck Hunt dog's look and would love a reboot in that style.

TGT | Ghosty

Jace Boster
NNID
studmuffin
Looks legit. That Duck Hunt Dog and Dr. Mario models look like they fit in the game. Can't wait for some Duck Hunt lol

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
if this leak is real (it seems dubious) then duck hunt dog's final smash had better be him reverting to his NES incarnation and doing that ridiculous laugh as the screen fades to black and, shortly afterward, the “NO CONTEST” screen appears

Last edited:

Fierce Deku

Smash Cadet
I'm kind of surprised this is being posted on the front page. News is news I guess, but imo it feels a little unprofessional and sensationalist to throw leak info like this in with all the legitimate smash 4 updates (and it's kind of feeding the trolls to legitimize potential fake-leak creators like this). I forget, has the front page had news posts about the other leaks?

There are dozens of reasons to suspect this is fake, but if it were me the the very first pic alone would be enough to knock this off the front page. One-pupil Wario and G&W's hand extending beyond his square? These aren't artifacts of a beta build nor plausible mistakes, these are things that would never happen in the first place in the actual game, even pre-release.

It's not that bad, the post does point out some of the evidence against it, but it waits too long to do so and leaves out too many points. I feel like it would just be good journalism to include a more in-depth listing of everything wrong with it, rather than jumping straight to listing all the "information" it gives us (which is only relevant if we assume it's real). The post just doesn't convey as much skepticism as I think the leak deserves.

I don't mean to come across as harsh. One way or another this IS a hot new topic for the community and that's what the news feed is for, even if it does turn out to be fake and we all forget it in a week. I just want to say that sort of thing needs to be handled with a lot of care if it is to be legitimized by something as big as the front page.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
The biggest thing about this leak that scares me is the number of people writing it off, going 'FAKE'.

I'm reminded of when the Brawl roster was leaked and ROB was in it.. Very similar reactions to this leak. Aka lotsa denial

That being said, plz no Dark Pit. Plz. It's like a Dark Link character.... Only worse, because it's basically a fanfic created character, because it's based off of an alternate color of Pit from Brawl. But it wouldn't surprise me, since the Kid Icarus series is now a brain child of Sakurai, and he'd just be showing DatSakuraiBias once again.. D:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, well really I just remember when the starter roster was shown to us people were writing that off as fake toobecause of things like misplaced characters from this line of character of the same franchise and Olimar not having his Japanese name when people assumed it was the Japanese version that was being faked.

Now granted I don't know what to make of the errors like Game & Watch merging with Wario's slot, the missing Mii slot I'll just pass off as the Miis being their own separate option that you get by pressing select or something but between the legit art here, and the in-game and victory screenshots one of the other guys put up, this looks pretty legit and if it is, those errors I mentioned earlier are just oversights that'll be fixed before release.

Either way we'll probably know if this is real or not before the 3DS version even comes out in Japan because if just one of these characters is the next reveal and their art is exactly the same as we see here, then this is the legit roster for sure.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm kind of surprised this is being posted on the front page. News is news I guess, but imo it feels a little unprofessional and sensationalist to throw leak info like this in with all the legitimate smash 4 updates (and it's kind of feeding the trolls to legitimize potential fake-leak creators like this). I forget, has the front page had news posts about the other leaks?

There are dozens of reasons to suspect this is fake, but if it were me the the very first pic alone would be enough to knock this off the front page. One-pupil Wario and G&W's hand extending beyond his square? These aren't artifacts of a beta build nor plausible mistakes, these are things that would never happen in the first place in the actual game, even pre-release.

It's not that bad, the post does point out some of the evidence against it, but it waits too long to do so and leaves out too many points. I feel like it would just be good journalism to include a more in-depth listing of everything wrong with it, rather than jumping straight to listing all the "information" it gives us (which is only relevant if we assume it's real). The post just doesn't convey as much skepticism as I think the leak deserves.

I don't mean to come across as harsh. One way or another this IS a hot new topic for the community and that's what the news feed is for, even if it does turn out to be fake and we all forget it in a week. I just want to say that sort of thing needs to be handled with a lot of care if it is to be legitimized by something as big as the front page.
Game & Watches arm isn't extending out of his box into Wario's, That's Wario's shoulder. As for Wario missing a pupil...he's not. His left pupil is very close to his nose. You can see a pixel or two of it.

Oatmealski

The Hero of Oatmeal (and chin beards too).
3DS FC
1821-9353-4818
Can some one explain to me why Ness, Diddy, and DHD have levels when they are human players?

They shouldn't have the colors and have levels. It doesn't work that way. That level spot is where the human player name goes!
Maybe it could be the level of your Amiibo perhaps? It's either that or they ****ed up.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Best fan art of duck hunt dog yet.

Painfully fake, saddens me to see people believe it.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
The denial is real!
I think this might be it. I'm holding out hope that there might be a couple characters that weren't unlocked in the pictures, but even then I would be completely happy with this roster. Hell, I'm already happy with the officially confirmed roster as it is now!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

But I think I'll wait and see what the final roster turns out by the time the 3DS version comes out in Japan before jumping into conclusions.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Game & Watches arm isn't extending out of his box into Wario's, That's Wario's shoulder. As for Wario missing a pupil...he's not. His left pupil is very close to his nose. You can see a pixel or two of it.
From an artist's perspective that is indeed very visually confusing/distracting. Even if it is under his nose, the render of wario looks so unprofessional much like many other aspects of the pic mentioned already.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not that I feel the need to defend the article but seeing as how I was the writer and published it, I feel obligated to expalin why it was published. In most cases, we do not post leaks onto the Smashboards Home Portal. Not because it is unprofessional but there are hardly links that actually warrant being featured. However, seeing as how we are getting close to the Super Smash Bros, 3DS release, this is one of the more legitimate leaks that has surfaced. While it most likely is fake considering how leaks are, it is one of the more professional and legitimate leaks that is currently out there. Regardless, Smashboards is not stating it is true or false but still decided to cover it nonetheless.

That in mind, do please refrain from flaming/trolling each other and please observe the The Terms and Rules.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Well, #TeamReal looks like they are taking the chalice of victory under the noses of #TeamFake. Please enjoy this video (This disproves the disprovinalization of the thick lines)

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
So you personally finding appeal in that render dismisses my opinionated observation?

Sounds legit

I personally think it's **** considering there's been a much higher quality fake render that's surfaced.
Nope. Please read the comment extra carefully. You're going somewhere where you don't need to be.

Kirbybrawl

Smash Cadet
so many mario and returning stages makes me hope its fake but that duckhunt character makes me hope its real.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
From an artist's perspective that is indeed very visually confusing/distracting. Even if it is under his nose, the render of wario looks so unprofessional much like many other aspects of the pic mentioned already.
I can understand that and partially agree.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Oh, s***... Please don't be real... Please don't be real... PLEASE DON'T BE REAL... No Lucas, no Ice Climbers, WarioWare Wario, Dr. Mario, and WHERE THE **** IS K. ROOL?!?!

I'm praying that this isn't real. I'm not even joking. Deep down I think I know it's not real, but there's always that slight chance that it is.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm forced to be reasonable about this. But I'm doubting this is legitimate. If it is, than I'm totally syked for DH dog. I think the wide variaty of characters is pretty diverse, and if the dog is legitimate, it just adds to the fact Relevancy is meaningless.

Also no IC is a blessing. :troll:

lob

Smash Cadet
NNID
FunkyLobster
3DS FC
0877-1680-1612
fake as ****
  • g&w render is so pixelated and amateur
  • ganon render is way too dark to be part of the css, im pretty sure its just his twilight princess stock art too
  • pretty sure robs render is from mario kart ds
  • the css in general is just a huge mess. dr mario, lucina, and pittoo are in the corner? why? because theyre clones? that so arbitrary how they decided it tho, you could consider luigi and toon link clones. why dont you move ANY potential clone to the side? why dont you just group them all up by the series they belong to?
this is a really amateur "leak" tbqh. its just so messy and ugly.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Why aren't we allowed to make an official thread for this leak? It's on the front page of the site first of all and secondly this is probably one of the biggest and most controversial leaks so far. Yeah there is evidence that points to it being fake, but it hasn't been deconfirmed yet. It would be fun to have an official thread for big leaks like this especially if your going to post it on the homepage of the site and start a mini thread anyway.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
In addition to the flaws pointed out in previous posts, I'd like to point out that Ness, Shulk, and Dr. Mario all have the same shade of red as their backgrounds, whereas all the confirmed characters have different-coloured backgrounds (even if it's only a slight difference in shade). It's a minor detail, to be sure, but then the design team took the time to make sure each of the 37 characters revealed so far all have their own colour background, which makes it seem odd that they would abandon this endeavour for characters that just happen to have not been revealed yet.

Last edited:

Mewter

Smash Master
In addition to the flaws pointed out in previous posts, I'd like to point out that Ness, Shulk, and Dr. Mario all have the same shade of red as their backgrounds, whereas all the confirmed characters have different-coloured backgrounds (even if it's only a slight difference in shade). It's a minor detail, to be sure, but then the design team took the time to make sure each of the 37 characters revealed so far all have their own colour background, which makes it seem odd that they would abandon this endeavour for characters that just happen to have not been revealed yet.
This is an interesting observation.
Though Shulk appears to have a pinker background than those two, Doctor Mario, a clone of Mario most likely just as Lucina is a clone of Marth, has the same red of Mario even though Lucina has a different blue than Marth does. It's possible this is a legitimate design choice or a mistake on e part of the leak faker (why not another color?).

Kati

Smash Lord
Why is Lucina so far away from the other fire emblem characters??!

Duck hunt? so lazy. Even Luma gets recognition in this.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Lip the Flower Fairy for next official newcomer debunker for this leak... in time next newcomer reveal rolls around.

Last edited:

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
For people calming characters aren't there there are still spaces not consumed. No smash leaves character blocks under and inbetween 2 characters. They are always directly under when all characters are unlocked.
Mii could just not be unlocked at the time.
Not saying its real but saying its fake because 'X' character is missing isn't correct.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Part of me wants this to be true (48 characters+ is pretty great and I love Pittoo), but so many things look off, especially the fact that the DLC characters fill the roster screen perfectly and leave no room for Miis (it could be a Mii exclusive mode, but it seems odd to rearrange the entire CSS to fit them with the DLC characters).

Last edited:

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
I'm not one to trust leaks, even if they are considered "legitimate" I'm just going to be patient and wait for the real thing to come, as new information is officially revealed.
That's the best thing anyone can really do. I'll do that too and make like a parrot and.....parrot.............yea, I didn't really think that one through.....

'Skepticism is best considering the nature of this leak.'
*screeches* SQUAWK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom