• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Clone Engine?

junrob

Smash Rookie
Forgive me if I sound like a noob.

But Lets say you took all of Links files out of his fighter folder, every single one, and renamed it FitRobot... to Robs correspnding file names.
Woulndnt when you select ROB with the SD loader , the game would technically be loading Link, right?
So if this works, you could give the real link a custom moveset like Zero, making it possible to have two different Links fighting at the same time.
I havent tried this, but I should have before i posted this, but Im not able to play Brawl at the moment.
The only downside if this works is that you'd have to basically remove a character from the game ,if you wanted to replace a character like Wario you would have to find like 10 textures to replace all of his, and the cpu would think theyre controlling whatever character you replaced.
I doubt this would work for transforming characters..
Since im not ableto play right now, could someone test this out?

Thank You.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
Yea, it would try to load link's moveset with ROBs model (i think) and would either be completely glitched or just crash. I don't THINK we quite have a way to swap models that thoroughly yet.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
If we had EVERY SINGLE FILE that the game tried to load and it loaded Link's, then it MIGHT work.

junrob

Smash Rookie
But isnt the model data in the .pcs which you would be replacing anyways...:ohwell:

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
This is pretty much the basic concept of the clone engine except that instead of loading from another character's id, you're loading from an unused id. What you suggest does indeed work with only two exceptions. The first being that the sound effects would be of the original character's (fixable, but not through replacing files) and the second (this one's the major one) is that the module id wouldn't match up with the character id.(causes a crash) This is the main stumbling block I've encountered in making the clone engine, but a recent development in hacking the stage modules has proved fruitful in finding the correct values to adjust.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Oh boy...

Every time Phantom posts somewhere, an explosion of magic happens...

hmm... could this be? Maybe he'll work with Dant or Almas... or both?

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
Well I was tinkering with the stage module files a bit and I noticed that they suffer from the same problem that the character module files do in that you can't swap them without it crashing. Each module contains an identifier routine in it which returns the id of the stage/character it's supposed to correspond to. Whenever I tried to create a "clone" character - one of Mario as id 60 for example - it would crash because the identifier routine for the module would be looking for id 0. At the time It was pretty difficult to isolate the location of the identifier routine, but now I think I may have found a way to find them quickly.

Here's FD with it's module swapped out to allow it to be an SSE stage.

Edit: Haha, more hype already?:dizzy:

Eldiran

Smash Lord
PW has posted....
Honestly, this is all it takes for hype.

Well I was tinkering with the stage module files a bit and I noticed that they suffer from the same problem that the character module files do in that you can't swap them without it crashing. Each module contains an identifier routine in it which returns the id of the stage/character it's supposed to correspond to. Whenever I tried to create a "clone" character - one of Mario as id 60 for example - it would crash because the identifier routine for the module would be looking for id 0. At the time It was pretty difficult to isolate the location of the identifier routine, but now I think I may have found a way to find them quickly.

Here's FD with it's module swapped out to allow it to be an SSE stage.
Nice work! Oddly, when I used Dant's stage loader with this, I'd end up getting FD's background and platforms/collision detection, but no actual FD appeared.

Anyway, without the stage loader, this brings up Tabuu's place, and works nicely. Even though the end result doesn't seemingly differ from our regular methods (does it?), I can bet being able to do this is a pretty big breakthrough overall, particularly for what it implies for character module editing.

I tried throwing in some other SSE stage in there for the heck of it, and it crashed. So, I'm guessing SSE does not have a shared module ID. (Not that I'd expect it would.)

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Do the module files swap correctly with the FRC or do i need to iso swap them?

I was doing ressearch myself on the module files, yet i could never get the to read correctly...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Wait, so I just want to understand properly. As of now, if we want to replace a stage, we have to go in and manually replace the model / collision files, right? But, by simply changing this ID, we'll be able to do the same thing? Just:

1. take an SSE stage
2. change the ID and file name
3. ???
4. profit?

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
Nice work! Oddly, when I used Dant's stage loader with this, I'd end up getting FD's background and platforms/collision detection, but no actual FD appeared.

Anyway, without the stage loader, this brings up Tabuu's place, and works nicely. Even though the end result doesn't seemingly differ from our regular methods (does it?), I can bet being able to do this is a pretty big breakthrough overall, particularly for what it implies for character module editing.

I tried throwing in some other SSE stage in there for the heck of it, and it crashed. So, I'm guessing SSE does not have a shared module ID. (Not that I'd expect it would.)
The first bug is just because the current module isn't designed for FD - somehow when you're using Dantarion's loader it causes it to only load the module file and not the .pac file.

It should work fine with other SSE stages though seeing as it amounts to the same as replacing an SSE stage over the WWR...

Wait, so I just want to understand properly. As of now, if we want to replace a stage, we have to go in and manually replace the model / collision files, right? But, by simply changing this ID, we'll be able to do the same thing? Just:

1. take an SSE stage
2. change the ID and file name
3. ???
4. profit?
There's not too much difference at the moment from the current method, but replacing the module file removes the possibility of bugs that might occur when replacing a stage (replacing Bigblue with an SSE stage will likely not lead to very good results)

Eldiran

Smash Lord
The first bug is just because the current module isn't designed for FD - somehow when you're using Dantarion's loader it causes it to only load the module file and not the .pac file.

It should work fine with other SSE stages though seeing as it amounts to the same as replacing an SSE stage over the WWR...
By "other SSE stages", do you mean other STGFINAL.pac's modified to have SSE info in them? I was trying to throw an actual SSE stage .pac in there, which didn't work (crashed). Tried again with a different stage to no avail.

Phantom Wings

Smash Apprentice
By "other SSE stages", do you mean other STGFINAL.pac's modified to have SSE info in them? I was trying to throw an actual SSE stage .pac in there, which didn't work (crashed). Tried again with a different stage to no avail.
Yeah. I think the actual SSE stage .pacs are handled by a different module (for enemies, bosses, and breakables) but said module has yet to show itself.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Yeah. I think the actual SSE stage .pacs are handled by a different module (for enemies, bosses, and breakables) but said module has yet to show itself.
Ahh, gotcha. Be pretty rockin' when we do find it, that's for sure. I am a little confused though. Is the STGFINAL.pac you provided a Final Destination with replaced data, or is it an SSE stage modified to not crash (no Tabuu, etc)? If it's the former, then I'm confused about what exactly changed in the Final Destination module.

Top Bottom