• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*POSTPONED* Appalachian Round 2: October 3rd! Boone, NC. Melee/Brawl!

Sengin

Smash Ace
NOTE: THIS IS POSTPONED UNTIL MAYBE THE 31ST OF OCTOBER

I'm sorry guys, I really, really am, but I have no choice: this is postponed until at least the 31st of October. I just got the news today. The guy in charge of the gaming club, of which I am been in contact with since early August about this, has told me that it's going to be a free tournament. He made this decision himself, without talking with anyone. Actually, I told him in mid-August about everything he needed to know, but he completely abandoned everything I told him. But Sengin, you say, how can a free tournament be bad? Well boys and girls, it means that we can't collect money for a pot-style tournament because he told the Student Union that we wouldn't be collecting any money. And he told everything this today. Which is one day after the money would be due for the room. Which means we can't change a thing. So if you would like to come, you would be competing for, get this, a $20 first place prize and a $10 second place prize. But you wouldn't have to pay anything :rolleyes:. Just travel, which I know none of you would do for something this tiny, and I don't blame you.

I'm working on this to get this set up for the 31st of October, but I can't have any guarantees for you guys after what just happened. But there's still time to change the info for the room for the 31st, and I am doing everything I can to get it. Please tell me there are no big tournaments around then in this area. The reason I picked the 3rd was because there weren't any.

To all those that postponed plans, took off work, and to Bill and Alex having to push Bill's Octoberfest back a week to the 10th: I'm sorry.

Ok guys, continuing from last January (jeez that was a while ago), I present you with Appalachian Round 2 (name still undergoing much consideration...)!

Plemmons Student Union at Appalachian State University
Grandfather Mountain Ballroom
Boone, North Carolina, 28608

The room is huge, it can accommodate a nice 200 people and plenty of TVs. There are plenty of places to eat, both within a couple minutes walking distance and a couple minutes driving distance. Parking is free, there is a parking deck next to the Student Union.

Directions:
Get on US 421 or US 321. They go right through Boone and right next to the Student Union. To find directions to the place, use:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....216415,-81.679541&spn=0.006492,0.013947&z=17

The location of the (A) on the link above is where the parking deck is. Please note that HAMBY ALLEY DOES NOT EXIST. I REPEAT, HAMBY ALLEY DOES NOT EXIST. However, it is approximately the location of the parking deck. To get to the parking deck, you MUST come from West King Street (aka US 421) to College Street, or Blowing Rock Road (aka US 321) to Howard Street. Once you turn onto College Street or get to where Howard Street ends, you cannot miss the parking deck.

REAL layout of roads, not to scale.

Use to find location of tournament from the parking deck.

When:
October 3rd, 2009. 12PM (aka noon) until 10PM. Everything needs to be cleaned up by 11PM, so if most things are already cleaned up, we can play a little past 10.

Free play/friendlies from 10AM to noon.

Signups start at like 11. Melee signups close at noon. Brawl signups close at the BEGINNING of the food break.

Events:
Melee singles/doubles
Brawl singles/doubles OR Brawl+ singles/doubles. There is only enough time for 2 games, so you guys let me know which you want: VBrawl or Brawl+. I am leaning towards VBrawl because I don't know how many Brawl+ wiis we can get.

Note: I am going to try to get all events in in a timely fashion. Last time I didn't do doubles, but I'm not doing pools this time, so there should be plenty of time.

Event ordering:
Melee doubles
Melee singles starts towards the end of melee doubles when TV's start to be free
Dinner/food break (approx. 1 hour)
Brawl doubles
Brawl singles starts towards the end of brawl doubles when TV's start to be free

Cost and Prizes:
Venue fee: None!
Singles: $5
Doubles: $10 per team (so yeah, doing math means that it's $5 a teammate)

Prizes pay out 60/30/10. Unless people want 65/25/10, then that's do-able.

Setup Information:
We have at least 10 TV's and 4 projectors. People last time said a couple of the projectors lagged a little, so we'll probably stick with just the TV's for matches and use the projectors for displaying the bracket so you can see it where ever you are.

However, we didn't get to use all the TV's last time because there weren't enough setups (wiis/cubes with melee/brawl/mem card). So please a setup. The more we have, the quicker we can get through the tournaments and the more friendlies we can get in. We have to stop so that everything is cleaned up at 11PM. We cannot be in there later than that.

We should have a projector and a laptop projecting the bracket on the wall at all times so it will be easy to see when you have a match.

Rules (yes, read these because it's slightly different:
General rules:
I'm going to do something a little different. Instead of the usual fare of first stage random, 2nd and 3rd counterpicks unless it's banned, this is what we're gonna do: Stage Striking with no bans. Basically, for the first match, you and your opponent alternate striking out a neutral stage (Kongo 64 is added so there are 7 neutral stages) until there is one left. You then play on that stage. After the first match the normal fare continues: loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character. You can pick any of the legal stages as counterpicks because you cannot ban any stages (well, in Brawl you can, melee you can't). However, you cannot pick a stage you have already won on (Dave's Stupid Rule).

Rounds are best 2 of 3, finals best 3 of 5.

Melee:
The same rules that have been going on for years now: 4 stocks, 8-minutes, no items, etc...

Brawl (thanks theAPExp since I no longer play brawl (partly due to it being stolen)):
-3 stock, 8 minute time limit.
-Matches decided on time are based on stocks, then %'s.
In the event of a true tie the winner will be decided on who is considered more brofessional by refering to the Official Bro Rankings List.
This is judged in order of rank, then honorable mention, then oos "pimp status" brofessionals, then number of times on the list.
If both are tied in this manner then a decision will be made by ACE himself, or an official appointed by ACE to oversee this tourney, on who is more brofessional
-Items set to off
-Sets are best 2 out of 3 matches; all finals are 3/5.
-Infinite cape glitch is banned. If somebody believes you performed the extended cape and the match is reviewable in some manner then we will look into this.
If caught with the extended cape glitch then you will lose that specific match, if caught again you will be dq'd from the tourney and be highly frowned upon, possibly beaten.
-If you the match ends by both players dying to a suicide move performed by ganon, kirby, bowser, or ddd; then the performer of the move wins the match.
-No Stalling. Stalling consists of locks of any form lasting an excessive amount, (this is judged that once a character goes past 300% you must end it quickly), excessive planking
-You are allowed a maximum of 35 ledge grabs per match, anymore and you lose the match (granted the other player didn't go over 35 too).
If a person believes you have exceeded this number they may request to see your ledgegrab count at the end of the match.
-Any one of your matches may be recorded by anyone else for their personal pleasure at a later time.
-If you're playing on a modded wii the players may request you use standard textures/music/whatever.
-Team attack is on for doubles.
-Stage striking for first match in a set chosen from the list of nuetrals. You are then allowed to ban 1 stage after the first match ends.
-Double blind may be used to pick characters by the use of an intermediary for the first match in a set before stage striking occurs.
-After the first match ends you may then select a stage to play on from the list of counterpicks and nuetral stages. The opposing player then chooses their character followed by the other player.
-No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again.
-Standing infinites are legal.
STAGE LIST
Neutral:
Final Destination
Yoshis Island
Smashville
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick:
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Halberd
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise

Banned:
All non listed stages

All rules are tentative and can be changed up until the start of the tournament.

Oh yeah, and there may be free Rockstar later on in the day, like last time. If there are any questions, just ask.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Ace! How's it going? You like the Outer Banks? Oh, and you know you want to come.

Hinryu

Smash Apprentice
I am totally going to this. Andrew man, I'm extremely glad you could get another smash tourney going at ASU.

PP I want a match with you this time. Please come to Boone!!!

Also I can bring a Wii, it's able to play Brawl+. But which version are we using? I might also be able to bring a netbook with capture card for recording purposes.

dr.neo

Smash Champion
Adam lets team up for melee doubles. I'll be there this time. Also, just a consideration. Andrew, you should probably keep singles sign ups for melee open later than twelve on the account of doubles.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Hmmmm, how far is Boone from Winston-Salem?

I'll probably go if it's not crazy far lol.
Yeah, Boone is only 90 minutes from Winston (really, it was 90 minutes from my house to Rawful's house). You missed the last one, let's hope you can come to this!

Bill and I will be there.
Awesome! You guys made the last one, and I'm glad you guys are coming all the way from Chapel Hill, especially since it'll be 2 weeks after your first (?) two-day billfest. Thanks for keeping the NC tourney scene alive!

Also I can bring a Wii, it's able to play Brawl+. But which version are we using? I might also be able to bring a netbook with capture card for recording purposes.
If everyone decides on B+, then it'll be whichever version is currently the most accepted.

Well is dis so
Awesome. You missed the last one because of work, I'll be glad to get some more matches with you.

Andrew, you should probably keep singles sign ups for melee open later than twelve on the account of doubles.
Yeah, singles signup will be open basically until singles starts, but if I force a time limit, it means people will try to be on time.

Hinryu

Smash Apprentice
Well, with Brawl+ I don't know if the new 5.0 version is tourney legal yet. If it's the official version then we can use that. If not we'll stick to 4.1(?).

theAPExp

Smash Ace
there was a thread a few weeks ago about trying to run more b+, i'd link but i don't wanna hunt it down

in short, about the vbrawl or b+ thing
nc likes b+, but not more than vbrawl
i'm sure somebody will elaborate, but w/e

btw, i'm going to help run this : P

Hinryu

Smash Apprentice
Cool man. I'll help too if you want. Andrew just needs to give me a time, so that I can help with tvs and what not.

I'd like to play B+, but it's what the people want to play. If we vote though, my vote is going towards B+.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Are you coming back to CH?!?!?!
I'll probably be in Cary, but I could just drive over to your place and we could rock the car ride over.

I don't want to drive to Boone all by my lonesome. I get so sad when I'm alone. :(

If I have a job by October, though, it might not even be in NC. So we'll see. I just want to make sure I have space.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Cool. Schedule permitting I'll be there. Do you know if APP is running melee for any of their Lans this semester?
You should definitely be there. Did you find your way to HERB 2? As for your question, I think melee will be at the LANS. The first LAN is September 5th if you want to travel, but it will probably only be the local guys (isn't TO5 that weekend?).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah, my Falcon can beat Ali's. Not every time, but pretty well.

I used to be able to beat LoZR in dittos, but that was the Billfest when I beat Chu. I seem to play every character besides Falco worse now. Eh.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
pp is roytard in secret? omg >.<

and yeah, i think there's a few silly things roy has to screw with jiggs
it's been forever since i've played a roy, but sengin used to way way back. i recall complaining about some things... i just don't really remember, maybe bthrow to fsmash or something

Sengin

Smash Ace
Oh Roy....he used to be my first main. Years ago. Won a $5 money match Roy ditto vs. Mr. Stacks long ago haha.

Aaron: more like reversed up-b on stages with small ceilings. Kills at 0.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
i hated dying to that...

i think sdi can save you though
but i didn't even know what sdi was back then

there's also just trying to rest him first

Top Bottom