• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post-Apocalypse Texas Showdown (PATS) 2- feat. DoH, Mojo, AustinRC, Brolylegs, and more!

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Who is confirmed?

Just me taking a guess based on posts/hype:

Myself
Frisbie
Dawn
Baka
Sung
Jake
Mojo (to take everyone's money)
MT
Gea
Admiral
Paul
Keith
John
Plano kids (at least 3 people?)
Redongor(+1-2)

People that haven't said anything but will probably come anyways:
Kevin
Broly(?)
Vash(?)
Luciano(***)
Velox/myhomiechris(?)
Yannis
Sybawave/Von(>.<)
tree(?)
Ivan(?)
Tarzin(?)
Mouf(?)
Tirno(?)
Kalo(?)
random Austin smashers that are in Houston for the holidays
RGV? (Cloud where you at?)
assorted other smashers that might show up?
Dallas? (whatever happened to Darkrain and D'oh? do they even live in Texas anymore? and sethlon?)

idk am I forgetting anyone important?

whatever I'm hyped either way

Probably at least 20-30 people to be honest assuming everyone who has said they are going goes.

**** we may have to do pools

Gea

Smash Master
Unsure. Darkrain lived in Dallas for awhile but I don't *think* he lives in Texas anymore.

I'm sure the TO wouldn't care about a Project M side thing as long as it didn't take away any setups.

MT_

Smash Ace
Lastly, if anyone wants to MM I'll be super down $5 min plz, if anyone wants to do less, then let's just play a serious friendly set
I'm down. $5 if we meet in tourney then we'll do it then, otherwise Bo5. Same offer goes to Baka/QPAC.

Also Tirno said he was going to be there.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Hmm, I'll see if I can make it to this. I should be able to even though it's right near Christmas. I may need a teams partner for this. I may also be down for MMs.

Kal

Smash Champion
I think I'll go to this just to tell Gea in person that his posts are awesome.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
At this point I'm thinking it's going to be a necessity, especially if we can get Louisiana to show up. Not sure how we would run pools at this (ie how many pools of how many players and top ? make it out). It really depends on how many entrants we get.

Also, Frisbie and I may need some help seeding out-of-town players, especially the people with whom we're not too familiar.

:phone:

baka4moé

Smash Champion
it depends on number of ppl, we can figure it out when ppl arrive.

pretty hyped Louisiana lets go.

also there better be a lot of teams at this. teams > singles imo

edit: if you'd like me and sung can help too, we create pools all the time. though someone active in texas would be good too.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Most of the Austin smashers are originally from Houston, but we'll probably get a number of people from different areas to help seed.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Like MT said, I currently plan to attend this tournament. I'm down for MM with OOS players, including a rematch with QPAC. I will finally be able to make my honorable return to the fire nation. :awesome:

My two cents on pools, you should aim for one of two things:

1. Smalls pools (e.g. 4 or 5 with top 2 advance): these would be strictly for elimination purposes, not seeding. I've seen people try and seed a bracket with the results of small pools, but the lack of information makes this kind of seeding subpar because there are only two types of seeds.

2. Larger pools (e.g. 7 or 8 with top 4 advance): these should be a lot better for seeding, but the greater number matches can be good and bad. More matches mean longer run time and players possibly getting tired. On the other hand, some players, especially the ones likely to get eliminated, will appreciate more matches.

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
I've TO'd Kings of Cali with Team OXY (crimson blur/stab) and 8 man pools into bracket is the fastest way to finish singles, faster than straight bracket (granted you have enough setups)

If possible 8 man pools with top 4 advancing is recommended. Players possibly getting tired shouldn't really be considered though

I won't trash talk you vs QPAC this time I'll just cheer him on :]

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the tired thing isn't really much of an issue. As for 8 man vs 5 man pools, if you eliminate into the same size bracket, say 16-man, the 5 man pools will almost certainly be faster, no?

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Don't listen to Jose, I'm pretty tame on Smashboards and Sung already knows the dangers of starting certain discussions with me in person. ;)

In any case, I think Sung and I are basically in agreement with regards to pools. My only other suggestion is to consider doing best of 5 for more than just semifinals and up. Considering the turnout, getting better sets for more than top 4 might be nice.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
i suggest we put tirno and mojo on bracket at the beginning 'cause i might not get be around to witness it later in finals. they're gonna play at the end anyways right :awesome:

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Yeah, definitely not coming. I said that like the day this tournament was announced just saying.

I don't support ****ty tournaments.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
top 2 get out in pools is dumb, apex 2012 was bashed for it. top 2 means you could have a 3-way tie for first and not make it out. That means someone could only lose 1 set but be eliminated, which is sort of like losing in winner's bracket and not being able to play your loser's bracket (see: tafo frank cyrain).

7-8 man pools top 4 is better, or 5-6 top 3. as long as we have enough setups we should be fine.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
top 2 get out in pools is dumb, apex 2012 was bashed for it. top 2 means you could have a 3-way tie for first and not make it out. That means someone could only lose 1 set but be eliminated, which is sort of like losing in winner's bracket and not being able to play your loser's bracket (see: tafo frank cyrain).

7-8 man pools top 4 is better, or 5-6 top 3. as long as we have enough setups we should be fine.
Yeah, I agree with that. It seems pretty likely that we will have to do pools, and I'm thinking about doing a novice bracket too.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Don't listen to Jose, I'm pretty tame on Smashboards and Sung already knows the dangers of starting certain discussions with me in person. ;)

In any case, I think Sung and I are basically in agreement with regards to pools. My only other suggestion is to consider doing best of 5 for more than just semifinals and up. Considering the turnout, getting better sets for more than top 4 might be nice.
Semifinals and up would be top eight. Depending on how big of a bracket I make, I will consider making more rounds best of 5.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Larger pools with top 4 making it out is definitely ideal. More matches plus better seeding for bracket. Hopefully we get enough set ups. I think Frisbie and I have like three setups so we're going to need lots of people to bring TVs, cubes, etc..

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Semifinals and up would be top eight. Depending on how big of a bracket I make, I will consider making more rounds best of 5.
I was just referring to the top 4 of winners bracket. How terms like semifinals and quarterfinals actually apply to losers bracket are a bit of a mystery to me. Usually when people say semifinals and up, they mean only top 4 get best of 5 since the round right before LFs is called semifinals and the round before that is (mistakenly?) called quarterfinals even though there aren't four matches in that round, only two.

Conclusion: it's hard to consistently apply terms like semifinals to a double elimination tournament, so if you want top 8 to be best of 5, you should probably clarify that semifinals means any round in either bracket with two matches.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I was just referring to the top 4 of winners bracket. How terms like semifinals and quarterfinals actually apply to losers bracket are a bit of a mystery to me. Usually when people say semifinals and up, they mean only top 4 get best of 5 since the round right before LFs is called semifinals and the round before that is (mistakenly?) called quarterfinals even though there aren't four matches in that round, only two.

Conclusion: it's hard to consistently apply terms like semifinals to a double elimination tournament, so if you want top 8 to be best of 5, you should probably clarify that semifinals means any round in either bracket with two matches.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll clarify that in the rules.

QPAC

Smash Rookie
Sung just informed me of this thread.

Two gripes: Firstly, no bans in 3/5 sets? Weak, man, weak. Secondly, and more importantly, Sung's name is listed in the title, but Qpac's isn't? I don't even--

Also, Texas better watch out for the Jwu. You guys don't even know -- I'm already accepting all sidebets against him in GF's.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
The reasoning behind having no bans in 3/5 sets is that, first, you should have to play you opponent on at their best (ie there best stage) at least once and, second, standard Dave's Stupid Rule is in effect (ad opposed to the modified version) so a player cannot counter pick a stage he has previously won on in the set.

Besides, there aren't any jank stages to worry about banning like Rainbow or Brinstar, just neutrals and Pokemon Stadium.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Sung just informed me of this thread.

Two gripes: Firstly, no bans in 3/5 sets? Weak, man, weak. Secondly, and more importantly, Sung's name is listed in the title, but Qpac's isn't? I don't even--

Also, Texas better watch out for the Jwu. You guys don't even know -- I'm already accepting all sidebets against him in GF's.
Grinin pretty much covered everything about the best of 5 sets. About the title lol, I only wanted to put 3 names, and I didn't know who you were at the time. And who's the Jwu? Whoever he/they are, they better get ready to get ****ed up by Texas!!

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I will be in Texas, and I may need a ride from the Plano people.

Are we willing to take me? :D

Top Bottom