• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**POSSIBLY OUTDATED (Ice Climbers VS Metaknight)

TKD

Smash Lord
This thread is for you to read information and tips about IC vs MK, I'm not asking for advice. Of course, if you have a question or something to add, I can edit this post anytime.

Every good IC player knows trying to grab is pointless against other good players, so I won't get into that. Grab attempts are only for when your opponent makes a spacing mistake too close to you. That's it. The rest of the time you space squall hammers, blizzards, upair/nairs and jabs/tilts. Upsmash from chaincatches for the KOs, sometimes fsmash. Also, each Ice Climber degrades his/her own moves. Popo degrades his own smashes, throws, B moves etc by landing them, and Nana degrades her own. They're separate.
All of this is basic stuff and I'm going to focus on the details.

Haye guys, this is TKD's report on how to manage fighting Metaknight.

Hope this helps IC mains, since their only bad matchups are MK and Snake (30/70), Peach, Marth and R.O.B. (40/60).

This is some research I made today. Metaknight is our worst matchup, because of his range, priority, great nana-gimping ability and because of being the most difficult character to forward chainthrow, harder than Lucas (OMFG)!

So it's the only character you may not KO with only one chaincatch, besides characters that recover with chains/strings (which doesn't matter because they're not as broken).

Lucky for the Brawl cast, Metaknight doesn't have any projectile moves (not that he needs them, of course), or Ike's godly sword range, so desynched blizzards limit MK's options if you manage to pull some desynchings off.

Just for us to know, I tested and proved that Metaknight is safe to be KOed by your main climber's upsmash at 113%, at least in every neutral stage's main platform.

--------------------------------------------------------
KO percentages on MK from a main Ice Climber's upsmash.

Your assistant's upsmash is weaker than yours! Please remember that. It takes 11% more damage to KO with your assistant's upsmash, and that's a lot, really. Your assistant's KO percentage is 125% on Battlefield, while yours is 113%.

If your opponent does not smash DI they get KOed at 1-2% less damage than a perfect DI, if they DI sideways instead of diagonally (down + left/right), they get KOed at another 1% less damage.

Your opponent CAN get KOed sooner even with perfect DI if it just so happens that you hit them near the edge, because of dying sideways instead of upwards. I don't recommend to expect this to happen though, since it's occasional.

Note: The Ice Climber's Upsmash has no sweetspot, every part of its hitbox has the same knockback.

Stage KO percentage by a fresh upsmash

------------------------------------------------------
Battlefield Perfect DI / No DI

From a lateral platform 103% / 91%
From the top platform 93% / 82%

*Landing an upsmash from the top platform is extremely occasional.

Final Destination Perfect DI / No DI

*OMG! 1% lower than Battlefield!! Time to stop picking BF for its "low ceiling", since getting edgeguarded is worse than a "low ceiling" that's actually very high.

Smashville Perfect DI / No DI

From the top platform 100% / 90%

*Your upsmash can't reach the top platform from below, so it doesn't matter much.

Yoshi's Story Perfect DI / No DI

From the main platform (sides) 112% / 101%
From the main platform (left edge) 114% / 103%
From the main platform (right edge) 113% / 102%
From the top platform 111% / 90%

*Aim for 113% to be sure, this stage may surprise you.

Lylat Cruise Perfect DI / No DI

From a lateral platform 103-108% / 92-97%
From the top platform 111% / 90%

Well, that's all of the standard stages. All of the neutrals have the same height for a stageroof KO. I recommend knowing that 113% damage on MK means he can't survive, no matter how well he DIs the hit. 112% is good too, but miracles can happen in BF, YS and LC.

So aim for just a bit over 110% to upsmash from your chaincatches (or desynched blizzards or whatever) and you'll do fine.

KOing requires the same percentage for a solo upsmash as it does when both climbers hit, because when your assistant also hits, your opponent gets sent by his/her weaker knockback, not yours.

--------------------
CHAINCATCHING MK

The best chaincatch I've found effective against MK is this one:

1) Downthrow
2) Assistant's backthrow
3) repeat until a bit over 100%
4) finish off with your main climber's upsmash

If you're near the edge:

1) Downthrow
2) Assistant's fthrow
3) Dashgrab
4) Assistant's spike

You can delay this chaincatch by doing some back-and-forth's if your opponent does not have enough damage to get KOed from the spike.

When you downthrow, for your assistant to catch, make him/her move slightly forward before regrabbing, then keep doing the chain. If your assistant gets close to you (like, way too close) because of your slow chaincatching, make her move slightly forward next time he/she regrabs. This is to keep them separated since you can never be both at the same spot or you won't be able to regrab when he/she backthrows.

THE HARDEST PART OF THE BACK-AND-FORTH CHAINCATCH IS AVOIDING ACCIDENTAL DASHING!! So you have to practice (you can either learn it, or avoid playing IC against MK). It's the hardest chaincatch I use only against Metaknight, since he's so hard to forward chainthrow, and characters with chain/rope recoveries since they survive the spike.

--------------------
B MOVES FOR THE WIN

And finally, some tips.

Quick way to desynch:

Quickly tap back and forth 5 times to dashdance and at the 5th tap, fsmash with the C-stick. You can do a longer dashdance, but why would you? It requires a minimum of five dashes. Less dashes will result in your fsmash + your assistant's dash attack (that = a waste of time).
Input:
back, forth, back, forth, back + cstick
or,
forth, back, forth, back, forth + cstick

It takes a second and a half to desynch, so it's worth it. The most useful way to make use of desynching is to shorthop blizzards with one climber at a time. It's very hard to punish, and very useful against characters that have no proyectiles (but PLEASE, watch out for Ike's gigantic log of a sword).

Desynch while you're away from your opponent, you're vulnerable until you start blizzarding, and besides, you may trip while dashing.

-------------------------
THANKS FOR READING!!!

See ya guys, happy Iceing!

EDIT: A full dthrow chain is possible against MK. Your main dashgrabs, the other walkgrabs, spike at the edge. If MK is below 40%, back and forth chaingrab auntil you reach 40%+ and fthrow + spike.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Well this was an interesting read, now we know to Usmash at 115%! =D

My only question is that will you insert any numbers for ICs' Fsmash. That's about it.

Hit973

Smash Cadet
This was interesting. MK is a horrible match up for IC's, so any info is useful.

Edit: Something to add. IC's blizzard goes through MK's whorenado, so that stops quite possibly the most annoying attack in the game.

BicParker

Smash Rookie
I'm new here, so please excuse my ineptitude. Is blizzard downB or neutralB? If it's downB, I'm going to need to do a little bit of training to do! It takes a little while to initiate and I have only a split second to react to that blasted "whorenado".

lain

Smash Master
Yeah. pivot iceblock takes like a tenth of a second to do.

a second and a half desync ftl LOL

Miller

Smash Lord
You guys actually amuse me with how much trouble MK gives you. Mk isnt that hard to beat. Also, you should worry more about snake

KRDsonic

Smash Master
You guys actually amuse me with how much trouble MK gives you. Mk isnt that hard to beat. Also, you should worry more about snake
It's because of how easily MK gets rid of nana and can juggle you like nothing.

Snake isn't nearly as bad to fight with ICs IMO. He's actually one of the characters that I'm relieved to fight when I'm Ice Climbers because you can actually make him approach you if you play your cards right. Mostly you just need patience when fighting Snake with them, at least that's how it was when I fought Ally's snake on wifi.

Hit973

Smash Cadet

Snake isn't nearly as bad to fight with ICs IMO. He's actually one of the characters that I'm relieved to fight when I'm Ice Climbers because you can actually make him approach you if you play your cards right.
seconded. MK destroys nana before I even get a chance to blink.

chewyy

Smash Ace
Okay, pretty much the only thing strategy wise that I got out of this was to desync, and chaingrab.
Both of which should be done on all characters anyway.
There really wasn't any meta specific stuff besides the up smash % kills (which isn't tactical but is helpful) and that to blizzard alot because it breaks the gaynado.

I can't really talk because I don't really have any tips because meta ***** me....
Just saying, I'm still looking for advice if anyone has anymore. :)

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Note: after you blizzard his "whorenado" once the blizzard ends, he can go back into the tornado before the ending lag ends

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Desync Blizzard. When he gets into Nana's Blizzard, grab him out of the gust and start Chaingrabbing him. Other than that, Back air and blizzard approach. Don't get gimped. That's all I can come up with.

swordgard

Smash Hero
FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THIS!!!
Metaknights are all the same, learn to beat 1 and you know how to beat most.

Simple abuse of short hop blizz stops most of his approach >.>

Miller

Smash Lord

Snake isn't nearly as bad to fight with ICs IMO. He's actually one of the characters that I'm relieved to fight when I'm Ice Climbers because you can actually make him approach you if you play your cards right. Mostly you just need patience when fighting Snake with them, at least that's how it was when I fought Ally's snake on wifi.
I fight some of the best MKs in Canada quite a bit, its not that hard to keep nana at your side. Everyone seems that MK is this MAJOR road block, while the only road block is the nado. The nado is so easy to overcome its laughable. People just label MK as broken and say thats why they cant beat him.

TKD

Smash Lord

You're having trouble against MK? Random blizzards counter random tornadoes and stop his approach. We all know this.

The most important aspect about fighting MK is powershielding. Powershield to massive chaingrab gets you ahead. Downthrow to backthrow is a damage dealer, downthrow chain to the edge for fthrow+spike KOs. Assistant's <insert throw here> to your upsmash KO's at around 110%. If you get your assistant to grab near the edge at 100%+, your main's fsmash is more than enough to KO.

Your fsmash near the edge KOs at 100% and above. This is great to know, specially since it's so easy to be left without a partner. And this is assuming you only use fsmash sparingly (for KOs and occasionally to end chaingrabs).

Snake is the Ice Climber's hardest matchup. Grenade camping is too good. I don't think I can beat a good Snake.

My advice is this for IC mains. Get used to powershielding, and get good at it. It's your anti-MK mechanic. The second tip is to HAVE A SECONDARY. You need one for Snake. May I suggest King Dedede? The matchup's usually even, but sometimes gets really awesomely in your favor. And, heh, King Dedede's even good against MK, goes even against him.

Sorry for not posting. I've been absent from the IC forums because I've been maining Dedede and 2nding Metaknight. I'll try to bring back my IC game. Just today I got some good practice. It's always nice to have a third character. Specially one as COOL as the ices. They're the coolest. Well, it's a tie between IC and Pikachu for me. =)

KRDsonic

Smash Master
You're having trouble against MK? Random blizzards counter random tornadoes and stop his approach. We all know this.
Who said I had the trouble against MK? o.o Millar said he didn't know why people were saying why they were having trouble with MK so I explained, that was all. I use Diddy/Zelda for fighting MK.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
1 - get "meta is broken" out of our heads
2 - figure out the matchup
3 - practice the matchup

the trick is in blizzards, grab opportunities, and successful grab combos

lain

Smash Master
I find snake infinitely easier then Metaknight.

You can throw the grenades upwards if you happen to catch a snake who's already grenade dropped.

;)

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
1 - get "meta is broken" out of our heads
2 - figure out the matchup
3 - practice the matchup

the trick is in blizzards, grab opportunities, and successful grab combos
I was playing against a Meta and I must say...

WTF? BLIZZARD DID 32% FRESH! I never noticed until the meta pointed it out. I spam blizzard alot in that matchup so by the second blizzard, he was already over 50%. Bthrow-> bthrow is also really good on a meta. altleast for me.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
First of all I find Snake much easier than MK for serveral reasons:

1. Nana stops any dthrow chase.
2. Blizzards and iceblocks really hurt his approach by stopping sliding up smashses and projectiles.
3. Alot of your moves like synced forward B and uair/utilt pop snake a little above he ground, a place bad for him because of his laggy aerials.

Now about metaknight.... First, people forgot to mentioned solo IC can chaingrab him for around 30-40% and finish with fsmash, that helps alot.
If your being juggled like hell a double jump quickly canceled by a dair can help you break it (Dont spam it, dair is laggish).
Spam desynced fullhopped/shorthopped/grounded blizzards like there is no tomorrow, even better under platforms and just wait for a chance to get in there.
Make every grab count, my prefered method is bthrow to dthrow and repeat, this is a rather slow chain so watch out on low % you dont want them escaping.

Mmmm thats what I have so far...

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
MK is EASILY ICs worst match-up. Snake is way easier.

These people saying MK isn't hard:

1. Don't place well in tournaments.

2. Don't play with good opponents.

3. Don't understand high level match-up theory.

I agree with pretty much everything Void said.

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
mk is alot of chars. worst matchup. Luckily no one I play casually with plays a decent mk... ;P I wouldn't know what to do if I had to play one...

swordgard

Smash Hero
MK is EASILY ICs worst match-up. Snake is way easier.

These people saying MK isn't hard:

1. Don't place well in tournaments.

2. Don't play with good opponents.

3. Don't understand high level match-up theory.

I agree with pretty much everything Void said.
Well go and play ally, first snake in the world online, that guy is way harder than any meta ive ever encountered.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Well go and play ally, first snake in the world online, that guy is way harder than any meta ive ever encountered.
If you want to compare MK to Ally's Snake, then I can tell you, MK is a lot harder than Snake. I've brawled Ally a few times and each match I used Ice Climbers against him (with the exception of the first match I had way long ago), ended up being close matches. Fighting Snake is just a thing of experience, learn how to fight him and he isn't as hard, though he does have the advantage. Same for MK, but MK is still harder.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
snake isn't that bad. i can sopo chain him and finish him off fairly easy (see: i don't really play that many good snakes :p) but i can play someone whos just picking up the game for the first time using Mk and they can give me a tough matchup (not beat me, but get close). compare that to someone picking up snake for the first time and there is a much steeper learning curve for the snake.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I have played Ally. I played him for about 2 hours and beat him consistantly with Samus.

lain

Smash Master
I beat DSF's Snake with IC's 8 out of the 9 times I played his Snake a week ago.

*shrugs*

Snake isn't that hard for IC's.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That wasnt me =/ I'm getting impersonated by Samboner and a few people. I dont even play brawl this much. But If you want to play, hit me up on AiB. You'll see, that wasnt me at all.
I guarentee it was you. This was on gamefaqs awhile ago from your Allyornotally account. Before you went to AiB. I also played Samboner, you two have different codes and you are MUCH better then him.

You like to edgeguard with C4, and often interupted my teather by Jumping off and dropping C4.
When I played you, you said you would play Falcon until I beat it, then play Snake. I 2 stocked your Falcon with G&W then played you some G&W vs Snake which we went about even then discovered I could beat you with Samus consistantly.

I'm positive it was you.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
I guarentee it was you. This was on gamefaqs awhile ago from your Allyornotally account. Before you went to AiB. I also played Samboner, you two have different codes and you are MUCH better then him.

You like to edgeguard with C4, and often interupted my teather by Jumping off and dropping C4.
When I played you, you said you would play Falcon until I beat it, then play Snake. I 2 stocked your Falcon with G&W then played you some G&W vs Snake which we went about even then discovered I could beat you with Samus consistantly.

I'm positive it was you.
oooo my bad I saw " I played him 2 hours AGO" sorry my bad yeah that was me sorry haha but don't think that Samus works on me now =P

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ally you following my posts or what lmao? But yeah mk is hard, but as ive learned, getting close matches is easy with ally, beating him isnt. Though i still got in 13th yeah!

Top Bottom