• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Reads, Baits and/or Trump Options

Pinky-Conehead

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pinky-Conehead
3DS FC
3797-7644-5801
It only work at low percents, but down throw -> jab -> re-grab works on a lot of characters.
For some characters it doesn't work on (like Bowser), it's generally because they can air dodge before you jab, but jab is short enough that you can just go for a after the air dodge, or just jab again, since that leads into a grab.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
What mode were you in? Training? For Glory? Smash against friends? Smash against CPUs? This is very DI dependent.

link2702

Smash Champion
down throw to up tilt at low damage is reliable enough a get a second grab into, wouldn't say more then that though. still obviously DI will effect it, but i'd say its more reliable then jab.

Pinky-Conehead

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pinky-Conehead
3DS FC
3797-7644-5801
What mode were you in? Training? For Glory? Smash against friends? Smash against CPUs? This is very DI dependent.
I've tried it in all of those, and it certainly works on all of them. Going to check how easy it is to di with a friend real quick to see if it can be broken out of from early percent, but if it can, then at least it will make for a good mix-up.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Its scapable, HOWEVER, its an option since your opponent can scape it by attacking, and you can punish that if you read that though

Last edited:

Yuri~

Smash Rookie
I think I have found something pretty interesting with Roy's Fair.

If you Short Hop Fair normally, you will have landing lag, but if you Short Hop Fair as soon as you can, then do any special move or jump right before landing, you will be able to cancel the move.

It can lead to some pretty cool combos, like SH Fair to Dancing Blade at low % or SH Fair > Jump > Fair at Medium %.
It can be used as a safe option to approach too, since you can Fair > Jump back for exemple.

Here's a video of what i'm talking about :

Last edited:

TGT | Ghosty

Jace Boster
NNID
studmuffin
I tested this. Easy to escape once they see it coming.... but it's fun to pretend I'm Melee Marth and chain grab bad players to the ledge and fmash

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Haha, I noticed this when I was playing around with him and got my hopes up. Then I realized I was on For Glory.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this looks pretty important. It'd be nice if we had the old Flare Blade, ahah

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
This is a beautiful find. I think I've done this by accident a few times.

No doubt about it; this is a great, if not crucial addition to Roy's approach strategy.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Not that it's incredibly useful, but you can buffer another aerial right before landing and undergo the second aerial's landing lag.

So instead of SH FAir > Land > 16f lag, you can do... SH FAir (NAir) > land > 14f lag

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
Marth could do this the whole time...

SkywardQuill

Smash Rookie
I haven't tried with the Wii U yet but I can't do it with the 3DS... How fast do I need to be?

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
I was reading the twitch chat and someone mentioned Roy can cancel SH Fair's landing lagg with B and I just tried it and it actually works, I don't know who found it first but let's discuss it here for now.

Video:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
You can also jump before you land and do another Fair>DB 1 or any move im sure.

Marth has the same thing and it true combos at a low percentage.

Last edited:

orochiwolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3799-0637
Roy's landing lag for F-air is already not that long. I've tried to replicate what you have in the video, and it "works", yes... But only because the landing lag for F-air already works that way.

I also tried to see if I could string attacks using this B-Cancel that I wouldn't be able to before and....it still didn't work.

In this Twitch chat room, did this person also mention something called "Kappa"?

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
Roy's landing lag for F-air is already not that long. I've tried to replicate what you have in the video, and it "works", yes... But only because the landing lag for F-air already works that way.

I also tried to see if I could string attacks using this B-Cancel that I wouldn't be able to before and....it still didn't work.

In this Twitch chat room, did this person also mention something called "Kappa"?
well I might be wrong but I'm using yoshi as practice using fair and side B like a string and is a true combo at low %, can't measure stuff here.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
Tried it out and it works decently well a little hard to execute consistently but it has good utility for sure

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
This is just IASA vs Autocancel frames. For many moves, like Roy's FAir, the IASA frame is before the Autocancel frame, thus allowing you to do an action before you hit ground but not Autocancel when landing without an input.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
I thought analizing a move each week individually like in other boards (Like Samus's) would help on knowing the character a lot better. And it would help to know what tool to use in each situation and not just dismiss it (Which happens a lot with people not knowing a character enough to know all the moves's usage).

So, Neutral B: Flare Blade.

Seems like this move is EXTREMELY strong when charged just a bit in terms of knockback

Seems like charging it for like 150 frames? AKA 2.5 seconds makes this attack kill as early as 60%, not only that, it serves as an amazing ledge trump punish, couldn't test with all the characters it worked with, but so far, seems to work with a decent amount of characters to kill really quickly

Now I donno if Roy has the Eruption mechanic where you can charge the flare blade to be really potent but not take any damage from it.... Thoughts?

Last edited:

orochiwolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3799-0637
This is just IASA vs Autocancel frames. For many moves, like Roy's FAir, the IASA frame is before the Autocancel frame, thus allowing you to do an action before you hit ground but not Autocancel when landing without an input.
This is exactly what it is.

I thought analizing a move each week individually like in other boards (Like Samus's) would help on knowing the character a lot better. And it would help to know what tool to use in each situation and not just dismiss it (Which happens a lot with people not knowing a character enough to know all the moves's usage).

So, Neutral B: Flare Blade.

Seems like this move is EXTREMELY strong when charged just a bit in terms of knockback

Seems like charging it for like 150 frames? AKA 2.5 seconds makes this attack kill as early as 60%, not only that, it serves as an amazing ledge trump punish, couldn't test with all the characters it worked with, but so far, seems to work with a decent amount of characters to kill really quickly

Now I donno if Roy has the Eruption mechanic where you can charge the flare blade to be really potent but not take any damage from it.... Thoughts?
He doesn't have any knockback resistance or super armor with his neutral b, but I can confirm the move is amazing after ledge trumps.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I love the new version of this move. I wish it had a bigger hitbox though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Flare Blade isn't necessarily as reliable a ledge/edge-guarder as before due nerfed range horizontally but makes up for it with an explosion that might as well be more superior to it's Melee-counterpart when catching in foes close to you. There's some more start-up now when you release the charge, so timing's gotta be more well-read based on opponent's movement.

I mostly use it to read rolls, recoveries around ledge during heavy momentum or punish approaches if being vulnerable or on people trying to get me after some follow-up. The longer you can keep it going, the better the reward, but sometimes it's good for just punishing or getting people of with a button press. It's still so damn satisfying sending foes flying after such long charge though (And the nostalgic "EEE-YAH!" is creaming on top)

One big note: little to no endlag when you execute the move!! It's pretty awesome as it makes you safe despite whiffing it when compared to other specials, while also letting you do possible follow-ups and keep momentum around. I managed to easily perfect-shield or roll away if I whiffed it when opponent was basically touching me - and following to a Dash-A or SH F-Air in lower percents is also applicable.

Last edited:

Genoblob

Smash Rookie
NNID
Genoblob
3DS FC
2836-0094-7248

Was playing around with Roy in training mode and found this.

The two pummels before the f-throw is required because they won't need to tech unless they're at 4 percent at least.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Neat find. Though you have to keep in mind that a real opponent may use their get up options differently so it may be helpful to attempt to score a jab lock immediately after landing.

Any video/gif of that? Can't quite pull it off yet.
Grab the ledge right as your opponent is on it, they will be forced off.

From there, get on stage and charge Flare Blade towards them. They're forced to either grab the ledge or land on stage, and the moment they do either...

wham!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

From there, get on stage and charge Flare Blade towards them. They're forced to either grab the ledge or land on stage, and the moment they do either...

wham!
Pretty much. Watch out for attacks that can be used from the ledge though.

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
Neat find. Though you have to keep in mind that a real opponent may use their get up options differently so it may be helpful to attempt to score a jab lock immediately after landing.
the bair is the lock...
good find, but I think if they are moderately mashing they will get out before the throw. probably just jab them and you'll be ok

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice

wham!
Oh silly me! I was trying to do it off stage after the ledge trump... Thank you!

Top Bottom