• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Reads, Baits and/or Trump Options

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
Marth could do this the whole time...
True, but Marth's fair also had no landing lag on a short hop. Roy's does, so these IASA frames are way more useful to Roy because he can avoid said lag.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Interesting to note is that nB has surprisingly low cooldown. If someone shields it they can shield grab punish, but whiffing with it seems quite safe. Mixed in with jab and dtilt, Roy seems like he has a pretty decent grounded poke game.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
^It's not even that punishable on shield either if you dont have a tether honestly.

I love whiffing NBs and then jabbing so I get a free grab. Opponents must be punished by trying to hard to capitalize on mistakes

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
  1. I hope you are making a directory, to view previous weeks with out it being a mess
  2. the mentioned low end frames is useful when using it for b reversals, aiding his aerial mobility and recovery a tad
  3. Now I donno if Roy has the Eruption mechanic where you can charge the flare blade to be really potent but not take any damage from it.... Thoughts?
    you can go up to 45% with out hurting yourself and still 0-death most things (depends on stage location), but I have yet to notice if released in the correct moment will cause no damage taken
  4. it doesn't need to be charged long to have ko potential on mid and high% targets

Last edited:

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
sorry for being a noob but what does IASA mean?

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
^I am, I just have to figure how to link URL posts with statements on this forum since I havent quite figure that out yet.

Also, Fully charged NB doesnt kill bowser at zero in the middle lol

And yeah, confirmed to not have the Eruption Mechanic but seems the 45% is the best one since it actually gives more knockback than 50%, very slight though

I think Uncharged Flare blade can have combo potential out of a B Cancelled FAir against fat characters? Cant test with a Human atm

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
sorry for being a noob but what does IASA mean?
Don't worry, not a noob question :grin:

Interruptable As Soon As frames are basically frames in a move where you can interrupt it into a different move instead of going through the rest of the initial move's endlag. As shown in this video, Roy's fair actually has quite a few IASA frames, allowing it to comfortably be interrupted into any special move, or double jump. You can also technically interrupt the fair into another aerial or airdodge, but that probably isn't quite useful considering you'll really just be hit with a ton of landing lag unless you double jump first.

Anyone see if there's some good combos with side B in this situation? Or if noodle tipper might be able to combo into up b or side b at high percents?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Yeah I've been doing this too. It's more reliable that trying to sour spot f-smash (which also resets).

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I think that might be stage dependent, not that it matters
^I am, I just have to figure how to link URL posts with statements on this forum since I havent quite figure that out yet.
Example:
Code:
this is a
[URL='http://smashboards.com/threads/move-of-the-week-neutral-b.406463/#post-19430210']link[/URL]
this is a link,

there's also a button for links if you are lazy

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer

And yeah, confirmed to not have the Eruption Mechanic but seems the 45% is the best one since it actually gives more knockback than 50%, very slight though

I think Uncharged Flare blade can have combo potential out of a B Cancelled FAir against fat characters? Cant test with a Human atm
?

Fully charged Flare Blade does kill Bowser from the center. You don't get a spark if you do it in training mode, but he dies. You get a spark in Smash, though, and it'll do 52% fresh.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Seems like I was playing in a big omega stage, its pointless anyways lol.

What about shield damage, how much does it do realistically charged?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Roy's landing lag for F-air is already not that long. I've tried to replicate what you have in the video, and it "works", yes... But only because the landing lag for F-air already works that way.

I also tried to see if I could string attacks using this B-Cancel that I wouldn't be able to before and....it still didn't work.

In this Twitch chat room, did this person also mention something called "Kappa"?
The B doesn't put you back into idle, the point is instead of landing and having 20 frames of lag you land with your B already charging (you can release it instantly). This means that if someone sees the F-Air and instantly tries to punish you might be able to punish them with your own N-Special or that there might be some true combos out of F-Air.

Up-B out of F-Air is much better for punishing someone for dropping shield as soon as F-Air hits. Also Up-B and Side-B true combo out of landing F-Air at really low %s.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I use this move a lot at low percents, puts them in a position to be punished fairly well on hit with little risk. I use it to edge guard as well, primarily from a ledge hop. B reversed in the first few frames of the hop has enough momentum to make you charge it high from above while descending down offstage for potentially early kos. I mix this up with turnaround b to punish potential on stage recoverys or to hit someone before the ledge snap. I feel turnaround b is overall a powerful mix up for those who airdodge past you and land right in its range. I also believe it covers those in the air in front of him better than any move due to the potential to follow up on a landing wit little risk. Jumping into it to bait an airdodge allows you to punish them as well if they land during it.

Honestly I feel it's a 10/10 move that is overall low risk and on hit yielding anywhere from a moderate reward in a potential follow up or a high damage/knockback move.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
this is a great move for gimping bad recoveries (little mac). Does anyone think it may work similar to Little Mac down smash or other moves that poke recoveries sometimes (an example would be Rosalina)? I dunno if it would work like that, but it'd be awesome if it did. :x

Also, low endlag means you can use it off stage if they airdodge, right? I think the angle it sends them at may make it worth it if you save your jump for the recovery.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
To those who keep saying ken combo, no. This will not let you do a Ken combo. This is because Roy's fair sends the enemy on an angle in which you can follow up with a dair after a double jump. AKA They don't go up vertically enough for it to connect.

This is still good for Roy but not really in ways you'd expect. It lets Roy pull off quickly after swatting at someone, and with his fast fall speed he can still keep pressuring even after jumping away. It also lets you combo into stuff like up B or side B if you want to do that for some reason (or counter if they shield your fair and try to punish with something that isn't a grab, unlikely). It's mostly something that improves Roy's safety.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
Either way, this is a good contribution. Other moves that can be done in a similar fashion UAir, FAir, and BAir off of a full hop. I think you can FF a portion of some of these for the B's to still come out. This is useful as it's great for catching rollers underneath you with side B due to the multi-hits, good range, and flexibility when it comes to using it in either direction.

Last edited:

p3ngw1nKing

Smash Cadet
Neat find. Though you have to keep in mind that a real opponent may use their get up options differently so it may be helpful to attempt to score a jab lock immediately after landing.
The only other "get up option" they have is to tech the landing. Otherwise they get locked with the b-air, which forces them to stand up.

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
this is literally what I was saying
no it's not, you were talking about different get up options as if the opponent was not locked, but the bair locks them w/ no tech
I was correcting you by saying the bair locks, and to avoid the double post, I said that it was a good find, but no opponent should let you get 2 pummels at 0

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
I'm not able to get 2 pummels at 0% against any halfway decent opponent. Even just 1 pummel fails if they mash hard enough. Neat trick, but I don't think it's a good idea to go for.

TGT | Ghosty

Jace Boster
NNID
studmuffin
I'm not able to get 2 pummels at 0% against any halfway decent opponent. Even just 1 pummel fails if they mash hard enough. Neat trick, but I don't think it's a good idea to go for.
The point is that the bair jab locks them. If they land on the ground and fail a tech, use bair. This particular set-up isn't useful at all, but is just to demonstrate the tech

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
The point is that the bair jab locks them. If they land on the ground and fail a tech, use bair. This particular set-up isn't useful at all, but is just to demonstrate the tech
I understand that. I meant out of grab at 0%.

fizzleDX

Smash Cadet
NNID
fizzleDX
3DS FC
4141-4080-3072
I found some reads, baits, and trump options that can be devastating. (you add some too)
These have all worked for me, multiple times.

At around 30 percent, D-Throw starts giving the opponent time to airdodge while still keeping them at a distance to F-Smash them when they land.
D-Throw -> Read the airdodge and charge up an F-Smash -> Release F-Smash when the opponent lands

Very circumstantial) At the edge you can use Neutral-B to bait. For example, Lucas can get above the Neutral-B with no problem. So, you can bait him to go above you and kill/hit with an U-Tilt.

When you steal the ledge from someone with Roy, it puts them in a good position for you to hit them with a B-Air, U-Air, or D-Air

Add more below

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
On Dreamland you can charge Flare Blade only to have the wind push you towards the edge of the stage giving u a shot to hit a recovering opponent

Very situational but so Satisfying

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
A lot of times, if you can read the airdodge, punishing on Halberd with an Up-B is way too satisfying. You can do it on any stage, just Halberd lets you kill off the top so early. I think my favorite reads so far are Up-B and F-Smash. They both feel so nice to land.

Last edited:

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
Flare Blade seems to be an interesting defensive tool when recovering high or mid. It has little lag, meaning you'll always be able to get back to the ledge with an up-special after using it, and you can charge it as you're falling. I've been using it similar to how Sheik can use a short-ranged Bouncing Fish to ward off enemies that might try to hit her off stage as she's recovering, as if to say "don't try anything dumb, I'm getting to that ledge whether you like it or not".

The only problem is that Flare Blade seems to trade a lot, and you're going to be the one dying if it does. However, I think if you time it right then it should be safe. If they are expecting an air dodge, it could end up nasty for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom