• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
I’m sick of hearing about “Oh Porky’s not going to be in He’s too irrelevant” when his Brawl and Porky themes means have 2 million views put together

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man! Sounds like a good place to just shoot the **** and kick it. I'm really hoping to see Goroh and Waluigi (no, not ironically or as a meme) since they've been teased and ridiculed so much.

Zeox

Smash Champion

>That means everyone really is here now
>Everyone really is here now
>Everyone is here

Lucas confirmed to be the final DLC Character.

BoneyGazelle

Smash Cadet

>Everyone is here

Nah doesn’t add up. What moveset would he even have? Also his game was only released in Japan. Cool character concept but Lucas has the same chances as Ridley getting in

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I don't know if this is the right spot to share this but I have some Porky themed art that I've been working on. I think you guys would enjoy it. It isn't finished just yet. I'll post the final version at a later date.
Porky_Paint_Drawing_WIP_2_Proper.jpg

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this is the right spot to share this but I have some Porky themed art that I've been working on. I think you guys would enjoy it. It isn't finished just yet. I'll post the final version at a later date.
Man I love grey, suited Porky. One of those characters whose alts just write themselves.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I just want know, hypothetically,

If Porky was hard deconfirmed but Nintendo still released the trilogy and a Mother rep how would you prefer/envision that to play out? I think for me I'd be MORE than happy to get Porky as the boss and Fassad as a playable character since he's got a jetpack and he's essentially the weirdest Mother thing we might ever hope to unleash on Smash. It would be the most shocking thing (more so than Giygas) imo.

Edit: Also imagine him stance changing into a you know what.

Last edited:

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman

If Porky was hard deconfirmed but Nintendo still released the trilogy and a Mother rep how would you prefer/envision that to play out? I think for me I'd be MORE than happy to get Porky as the boss and Fassad as a playable character since he's got a jetpack and he's essentially the weirdest Mother thing we might ever hope to unleash on Smash. It would be the most shocking thing (more so than Giygas) imo.

I’ll be furious I’m not even kidding I would be genuinely angry imo

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I would be really upset too tbh. At this point if he didn't get in I would feel tricked. I'm just saying hypothetically.

Erfly

Smash Cadet
What other mother reps would really work outside of Porky?

Ninten I recognise the importance of, but the canon design is just too similar to Ness, and he'd work better in an Alph kinda situation.
Masked Man is the other plausible rep, but the main thing holding him back is being restricted to only representing Mother 3.

Other characters such as Kumatora or Teddy wouldn't work either due to just being additional party members, and while important to the game aren't as iconic or representative.

I suppose possibly Giegue could work for some Mother 1 representation, as well as villain representation, but they'd require a slight bit more of a redesign and moveset creation to get working right.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
You could take a page out of Piranha Plant's book and just have a really memorable enemy like the new age retro hippy or something like that.

The point being Porky is the clear choice for who to put in. If we're not restricted to just a character and a stage I hope we also get the Mani Mani statue and the Fuzzy Pickles guy as assists. He could drop down and pause the fighters, forcing them all to taunt regardless of their situation.

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman

Ninten I recognise the importance of, but the canon design is just too similar to Ness, and he'd work better in an Alph kinda situation.
Masked Man is the other plausible rep, but the main thing holding him back is being restricted to only representing Mother 3.

Other characters such as Kumatora or Teddy wouldn't work either due to just being additional party members, and while important to the game aren't as iconic or representative.

I suppose possibly Giegue could work for some Mother 1 representation, as well as villain representation, but they'd require a slight bit more of a redesign and moveset creation to get working right.
In my honest opinion, Ness, Lucas and Porky are the perfect three Mother reps for smash. No more than that.

Porky is a huge common ground for Ness and Lucas since his actions connect the two games, plus he’d be a unique fighter and people won’t complain about all the Mother reps being too similar like what happens with the Fire Emblem cast.

I agree completely about the Ninten stuff. He is unironically too similar to Ness to the point where even having him as an echo would be a little confusing.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Yooooo!!

I have a scoop for you guys. We have it on good faith from the senior editor of Game Informer that the Metroid Prime trilogy for Switch is due to be released soon, very soon. As in, it's done already and they plan for it to be a happy surprise for fans disappointed by the soft reset of 4's development.

I know I don't need to tell you the implications of this. As far as news goes this is hot hot hot.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...y_for_nintendo_switch_is_ready_to_be_released

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

i'm curious to why they gave Claus spirit a Legend rank in Smash Ultimate?
maybe along with Ninten, they might've considered them to be echoes first hand

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
bit off topic, but vinesauce recently finished his playthrough of Mother 3. It was incredible.

BoneyGazelle

Smash Cadet

I'd honestly be happy if Porky was part of boss dlc. I want him as a character way more but any mother representation is good. Fassads alt costumes would obviously be the other magepsies and maybe the last alt could be his translator. The thing I'm really hopping for is that the trilogy is 3d. Also I would die if they replaced mother 1 and 2 battle mechanics with mother 3's because I think it's way superior and surprisingly fun. Although doing that would probably mean buffing up everyone in those games or else all challenge would be gone.

Zeox

Smash Champion
bit off topic, but vinesauce recently finished his playthrough of Mother 3. It was incredible.
Watched it last night, it was pretty good, for anyone interested:
Edit: By the way, when I was looking at the stream, I noticed something, look at Porky's room in Earthbound:
Alright, now look at the room just before going to Porky's room in Mother 3:

It have the same color pallete, pillars and all, is a pretty nice touch.
Even thought, in Smash Ultimate that room looks a little different
But overall is still as yellow as always.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Hey hey whoa whoa hey!

...Is that what that room is supposed to be? That's the one inside the Monotoli building right? I didn't even recognize it but now that you say that it HAS to be it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I finally got around to making my last concept for a Porky victory theme. Mainly held it off due to, admittedly, laziness...and playing games...despite how short it is to make these concepts...

wasn't really sure what to do other than the guitar and...bass?...but I think it sounds decent.

also here's the updated thumbnail for EarthBound Porky:
Porky Minch (Earthbound) (Ultimate).png

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
In my honest opinion, Ness, Lucas and Porky are the perfect three Mother reps for smash. No more than that.

Porky is a huge common ground for Ness and Lucas since his actions connect the two games, plus he’d be a unique fighter and people won’t complain about all the Mother reps being too similar like what happens with the Fire Emblem cast.

I agree completely about the Ninten stuff. He is unironically too similar to Ness to the point where even having him as an echo would be a little confusing.
Design isn't the only things that go into making a character. Yo-yos weren't even present in Mother so it wouldn't make sense to have those in his moveset. Ninten also doesn't learn PK Starstorm so he'd have a different final smash (it isn't even in the original game), and he's more so a defensive PK user in general.

My problem with Ninten's inclusion is that they'd ignore his possibilities and make him just another Ness clone, like they did Lucas. Lucas doesn't learn any of his specials in Mother 3, and even Ness doesn't learn most of his specials. This trend leads me to believe Ninten would just be watered down to be yet another semi clone for the series, which is something I think unfairly represents such an iconic game franchise.

Masked Man is also a great idea for a rep, with seemingly infinite ideas for movesets. Problem is, like many of you have pointed out, he's only in the last game, so it seems somewhat redundant to include him.

Which is why Porky just feels like the right one for me. He's a recurring villain in the series, and his mech being much larger than Bowser Jr.'s would probably make him a quirky and unique character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

>Everyone is here

So out of left field, I would have never guessed in a million years. I thought it would have been Shrek, Goku, or Morshu from Link the Faces of Evil.

If another Mother rep got in instead of Porky, I would settle with Giygas as a Mewtwo Echo if that's possible. I know that sounds stupid, but I would take it if I can't have Porky.

I finally got around to making my last concept for a Porky victory theme. Mainly held it off due to, admittedly, laziness...and playing games...despite how short it is to make these concepts...

wasn't really sure what to do other than the guitar and...bass?...but I think it sounds decent.

Cool.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman

That extended note is so very Smash.

A possible size comparison I knocked up for anyone interested:

Untitled-1.jpg

Some like the mech larger, and there is some wiggle room for size here, but I actually enjoy the idea of this pod scuttling around with Porky all hunched up, not a care in the world. It enhances his character as this annoying but vulnerable little brat. I also envision him as an opportunist zoner for this reason.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman

Giegue will never be playable he would be a boss if anything with two phrases, he’s literally too powerful

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much PigKing is right. It's like how when you make Cthulhu playable the act of doing it is self-defeating. Giygas is different though, I think he could work as a stage tbh if done right.

Erfly

Smash Cadet
Just to check you know I meant Beginnings Giegue and not Earthbound Giygas right? Before they collapsed into their evil power vortex stuff. It's a lil like saying Ganondorf wouldn't work because of Calamity Ganon.
Character power levels can also be toned down for the game and made to fit others more, such as some like K. Rool and Riley just being smaller, or ultimate powers being used as final smashes only, etc. it doesn't have to identically match the series at the end of the day.

Regardless, my main point was more that ye, there's not much representation outside of Porky that wouldn't feel forced or too minor.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Tbh my main fear with Porky is that they’ll do an event for Mother related spirits and have the Pig King Statue and Porky as exclusive spirits, crushing the dream in 2 seconds flat.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Tbh my main fear with Porky is that they’ll do an event for Mother related spirits and have the Pig King Statue and Porky as exclusive spirits, crushing the dream in 2 seconds flat.
And yet, that would still be better than the worst posibility possible, that they left things as how they are, and Porky is

Spidermang10

Smash Rookie
All things considered, I feel like Porky has at least the most interesting case out of any of the potential first party newcomers.

I feel like a good enough case can be made for him compared to most other first parties, though I do disagree with some of the points being made for him (I don't think The Absolutely Safe Capsule being the empty version holds too much merit on it's own, given that Lucas' spirit is from when he couldn't use PSI at all and Masked Man's is literally a slightly edited version of the sprite from DeviantArt), and I still don't know whether the Capsule's presence would support or cripple his chances more when taken as is.

Also, dunno if it's been said earlier in the thread, but it should be noted that Itoi had an interview where he said Porky was his favorite character, but also said that Porky's still in the ASC "and there’s no chance of him coming out, but even now it’s still interesting for me to think about things like 'what if he were to come out?'": https://www.tuxedounmasked.com/interview-with-shigesato-itoi-of-mother-and-hobonichi-11212015/

So, take that however you will.

Regardless, I am hoping that he ends up pulling through, and I will support him until either his debut or his disconfirmation.

borbnorb

Smash Apprentice
I love the fact that we are almost talking in this thread like Porky has already been announced.. But if Porky gets in, I think he would actually be the BIGGEST smash character. Im talking weight and size. i mean, his mechs are full of all sorts of things and are pretty big. So I think he would have to have a few attacks that will move him around quickly to prevent him from getting combo'd easily due to the huge hitbox.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Also, dunno if it's been said earlier in the thread, but it should be noted that Itoi had an interview where he said Porky was his favorite character, but also said that Porky's still in the ASC "and there’s no chance of him coming out, but even now it’s still interesting for me to think about things like 'what if he were to come out?'": https://www.tuxedounmasked.com/interview-with-shigesato-itoi-of-mother-and-hobonichi-11212015/
Well, from that interview:
Porky is in the “absolutely safe capsule” and there’s no chance of him coming out, but even now it’s still interesting for me to think about things like “what if he were to come out?” and, for that matter, “how would he get out?”

Now we know how he could get out...

Galeem's laser to the ASC made it be a spirit, but it protected what was inside to become a spirit.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Ridley got killed so many times in Metroid and he’s still in, besides time travel is a thing in MOTHER if Master Porky is stuck inside doesn’t mean Heavily Armed Porky is.

Spidermang10

Smash Rookie
Ridley got killed so many times in Metroid and he’s still in, besides time travel is a thing in MOTHER if Master Porky is stuck inside doesn’t mean Heavily Armed Porky is.
I know there's nothing stopping them from putting in a dead/perma-incapped character, and I know that M3 Porky and EB Porky can both be here as separate characters, but if they did intend for the ASC Spirit to reference Porky, then I don't really see them going for his younger self as a playable rep.

That being said, I don't personally believe the ASC is meant to be Porky's sole spirit atm, and I don't think there's enough there to really point towards it even if it is, so I'm just waiting for anything more concrete either way.

Zeox

Smash Champion
The 2.0.0. update is coming soon, in some hours, I don't think it will suddenly add a Porky spirit, but if for some reason it does, it's been a pleasure to stay with you guys.

ThePigKing

Smash Journeyman
Just to check you know I meant Beginnings Giegue and not Earthbound Giygas right? Before they collapsed into their evil power vortex stuff. It's a lil like saying Ganondorf wouldn't work because of Calamity Ganon.
Character power levels can also be toned down for the game and made to fit others more, such as some like K. Rool and Riley just being smaller, or ultimate powers being used as final smashes only, etc. it doesn't have to identically match the series at the end of the day.

Regardless, my main point was more that ye, there's not much representation outside of Porky that wouldn't feel forced or too minor.
They’re the same person with the same amount of power Gigeue just lost his mind and body, all the attacks Ninten and his crew threw couldn’t even touch him

Last edited:
Top Bottom