• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Porky Minch has to be my main pick for the next Earthbond rep, and even one of my main 3 picks for newcomers. I simply LOVE Porky Minch, and if I'm being honest, I don't feel complete hate towards him, Porky is such a deep character from my point of view, I can't simply hate him. Porky has a huge chance to get in due to him being part of the final boss in Earthbound, and being the main bad guy in Mother 3, since every single event is caused due to this fatty boy. Porky knows both Ness and Lucas, so he clearly links their stories, and that's an enormous plus in my opinion. His design in Brawl is simply over exaggerated, is was so ****ing HUGE, but it can easily be shrunk down to its Mother 3 form. If he happens to have his Mother 3 form, that would be fantastic, although I don't have anything against his Earthbound form, even if I say so, I think his Earthbound form has more costume possibilities than the Mother 3 form, like having his regular form that he has since the start of the game and the suit form, it'd be incredible to see that in-game. I've been thinking a lot about the size his mech would have, either the Earthbound or Mother 3 form, and I tried to test it comparing how he'd look in each mech to Ness and Bowser (Bowser isn't the Brawl version, but I checked in-game and the T-Pose stays true in height to the one I used):

Porky would rather be a long character than a large one, since he could be able to not exceed Bowser's height. Although you say the Mother 3 Porky can't move at all, he can slightly move, of course the mouth but, in the Brawl boss fight you can see him slightly move his arm in the direction he wants the mech to attack, of course this doesn't mean much, but if Sakurai chooses the Mother 3 form I hope he takes liberty for Porky to have his sweet spankety taunt that I'll always love from the fan-game Smash Bros. Crusade. The latest direct leads me to believe that most Nintendo games that had an impact will be getting a bad guy to fight against, and mostly playable. The only thing that can counter this is of course the "Story" mode that has been speculated, which has Dracula as a boss fight, since Castlevania is an old game just like Earthbound, but I believe that due to the main impact that Smash Bros. did with Earthbound it could increase his chances. Sadly, I think it's visible that Sakurai is going completely fan-base like when it comes to adding characters, and Porky just doesn't have that much popularity to possibly make it in, even so Masked Man is the most supported Earthbound character as far as I know. Porky would be great to be a boss in any possible story mode that features boss fights if he doesn't happen to be playable. I wouldn't be mad if Masked Man made it in, or even Ninten, that'd actually make me happy, since I really want an Earthbound rep, but I most likely think Porky should be the next one, it'd be obvious at this point. As I mentioned I LOVE Porky Minch, and I support him A LOT, so if I even made a drawing in relation to my support for him in the next Smash!

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I wanna support Porky - not because I've played the Mother games, but because a playable fighter in a spider mech just sounds cool. How do people figure he would work, out of curiosity?

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
I wanna support Porky - not because I've played the Mother games, but because a playable fighter in a spider mech just sounds cool. How do people figure he would work, out of curiosity?
He would clearly have an extremely long range, due to his own mech being long, and also due to his mechanic arms being able to extend quite a bit of distance. He would also be one of the heaviest characters, of course being slow and having low jumps, but his recovery and attacks would be extremely powerful, but despite that, they could be quick, almost without end-lag, probably even with unique moves that create projectiles, and with this I mean the fan-game's Porky, the Super Smash Bros. Crusade one, if you want to see how he could work you can definitely try him out in that game, he's heavily inspired by his appearance in Smash Bros. Brawl and Mother 3, he's very fun to play as, and I main him since I play that game quite often. His moveset could still be something else, it could be based entirely around using his spider mech arms and projectiles, lasers, etc... I could see him being a truly unique character for the heavy type section, I'd definitely main him if he ever got in. Just be sure to check that fan-game out!

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I'm not entirely convinced Porky will make it, but I am just about 100% convinced Heroes and Villains is real. I mean, Mega Man, Mario, Luigi, all dead. DK and Diddy lose the fight with K. Rool as well.

I think we'll see at the very least a new villain for F-Zero.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
I think we'll see at the very least a new villain for F-Zero.
If a F-Zero villain gets in, an Earthbound villain must get in, perhaps it could be Masked Man due to him being one of the most requested Earthbound characters, but Porky is the most rational choice in my opinion, he has a lot going for him.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
That's a good point, honestly the only connective tissue between Ness and Lucas is Porky. Without that they're just two dudes.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Also I found out that at least in Smashboards Masked Man has as much supporters as Porky Minch, what a coincidence.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Relaxalax said it well I think, that this iteration is all about inclusivity on a few different levels. I really wouldn't be shocked at all to see Porky join the villain uprising.

One reason I put on the ballot for K. Rool is we need more villains and I'm pretty sure we can see they got the message from others as well

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Clearly the only competition Porky has is Masked Man, it'd make me sad and pleased at the same time, although I wouldn't be surprised, to see Porky return as a boss in a possible adventure mode.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Clearly the only competition Porky has is Masked Man, it'd make me sad and pleased at the same time, although I wouldn't be surprised, to see Porky return as a boss in a possible adventure mode.
Any Mother character would be cool but... Masked Man over Porky would be sad for a lot of reasons.
First because I find a spider mech more interesting than a sword and a cannon.
Second because Masked Man's personality doesn't exist, he is just an empty robot working for Porky, the person he was before is the one with the personality but that person no longer lives... well....
Except for the last minute of his life, when he is able to remember it and decide to take his own life
But besides that, he is just a puppet of Porky.
Also, just like Ness have movesets from the whole party of good guys of earthbound, and Lucas have movesets from the whole party of Mother 3, Porky could cover the whole villains, with attacks summoning minions like porky bots, pigmasks, or even Giygas himself (or for his final smash), it will be perfect.
Ness is all the good guys of Earthbound, Lucas is all the good guys of Mother 3, Porky is all the bad guys from the whole Mother franchise.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Any Mother character would be cool but... Masked Man over Porky would be sad for a lot of reasons.
First because I find a spider mech more interesting than a sword and a cannon.
Second because Masked Man's personality doesn't exist, he is just an empty robot working for Porky, the person he was before is the one with the personality but that person no longer lives... well....
Except for the last minute of his life, when he is able to remember it and decide to take his own life
But besides that, he is just a puppet of Porky.
Also, just like Ness have movesets from the whole party of good guys of earthbound, and Lucas have movesets from the whole party of Mother 3, Porky could cover the whole villains, with attacks summoning minions like porky bots, pigmasks, or even Giygas himself (or for his final smash), it will be perfect.
Ness is all the good guys of Earthbound, Lucas is all the good guys of Mother 3, Porky is all the bad guys from the whole Mother franchise.
The only reason Masked Man is competition for Porky is because he's even more requested than Porky as far as I know, and knowing this Smash is going for a fan-base like approach he may just get in over him. Personally I'd be happy with a new Earthbound rep, but Porky should be the next one, there's no other Earthbound character more important than Porky Minch that fits just right in Smash.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people after the direct are feeling like nothing could top it, and I even had responses in the subreddit where people couldn't even think of any other first party villains...

Anyways the point is I think most character reveals from here on out are going to shock and confuse the vast majority. If they slow down on the villain reveals then I'll be worried but Porky and perhaps Samurai Goro and a Street Fighter heel are my predictions.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
A lot of people after the direct are feeling like nothing could top it, and I even had responses in the subreddit where people couldn't even think of any other first party villains...

Anyways the point is I think most character reveals from here on out are going to shock and confuse the vast majority. If they slow down on the villain reveals then I'll be worried but Porky and perhaps Samurai Goro and a Street Fighter heel are my predictions.
Let's just hope for the best

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think if Skull Kid gets in and this Villains vs Heroes theme becomes more established; I think I'd be a little more confident on Porky getting in. Ramblin Evil Mushroom at least show's that Mother is on Sakurai's mind at least, right?

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Definitely a strong supporter (If it means getting a New villain and A Earthbound character who wouldn't just be a clone of Ness)!

Also! If they can't get Porky in as a fighter with an original move-set! They should at least make him an echo fighter of Bowser Jr. (With him in the Spider-Mech)!

Hero044

Smash Cadet
Definitely a strong supporter (If it means getting a New villain and A Earthbound character who wouldn't just be a clone of Ness)!
Agreed

Also! If they can't get Porky in as a fighter with an original move-set! They should at least make him an echo fighter of Bowser Jr. (With him in the Spider-Mech)!

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Porky would be a very interesting character, I would love to see this come to fruition actually.. Earthbound could totally use a villain rep, oh and notice how everybody else was included.. Its Porky's turn!

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
What is your best, outside of Porky? Tingle? Pinkle? Lol.
Clearly my hopes on Captain Toad and Tingle are dead, although I can still have hope in echo fighters like Louie/Brittany, Isabelle, and Ninten if Porky doesn't get in.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice

Who Is Porky
Porky Minch is a primary antagonist in both Earthbound and its sequel Mother 3. He quickly works against Ness and join Gygas. Somewhere in between the events of the two games Porky became immortal and became a dictator that would go on to ruin the lifestyle of Lucas's town in the Nowhere Islands.

Why?
Porky is easily recognized as the defining villain of the Mother series. While he's not the primary villain of Mother 1 or Mother 2. But Mother 2 introduced him as the dragon and Giygas's right hand. What's more Porky is seen through the game causing trouble for Ness and company. He's a villain that the player devlops a relationship with which is something that Sakurai likes. Porky does return as the mastermind behind Mother 3 and while his appearances aren't nearly as numerous, his influece is clearly seen. And once again he is a direct cause of strife for Lucas and company. Porky also has a little more personality when compared to other Mother villains.

Movesets
By ZenythSmash ZenythSmash

Discuss
This is irrelevent to the post but just wanted to say I love your newcomer banner!

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Porky being playable is an idea that has crossed my mind a million times. I just thought that it was unlikely because I didn't think he had a fanbase. I think he would be the perfect inclusion though for a few reasons.
1. I feel like Smash franchises have been divided into two groups: The bigshot and then the lesser knowns. The bigshots like Mario, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and even Metroid and Donkey Kong now seem to always get new characters. Meanwhie, the lesser knowns such as Star Fox, Earthbound, F-Zero, and in my opinion Kirby feel underrepresented. I want more series to cross the threshold and get some newcomers we aren't expecting.
2. Smash Ultimate is moreso a villains game than any of the others. So far, counting Echoes, 8 fighters have been revealed. Three of them are villains: King K Rool, Ridley, and Dark Samus. With Bowser, Bowser Jr., Dark Pit, Ganondorf, Meta Knight, and King Dedede also in the roster, villains are finally getting their time in the spotlight. Why not add a few more?
3. I'm not saying this increases his chances of getting in, but Porky has appeared in all three Mother games, while Ness and Lucas are each the protagonist of only one. Granted, they are both very memorable and recognizable heroes, but by Porky being in this game, he could become a recognizable villain and in tern possibly make Nintendo finally make the long awaited Mother 4.
4. Everything about Porky screams Smash to me. His design is amazing, Plus if he were to move around in the machine he controls, that would be awesome!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Porky being playable is an idea that has crossed my mind a million times. I just thought that it was unlikely because I didn't think he had a fanbase. I think he would be the perfect inclusion though for a few reasons.
1. I feel like Smash franchises have been divided into two groups: The bigshot and then the lesser knowns. The bigshots like Mario, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and even Metroid and Donkey Kong now seem to always get new characters. Meanwhie, the lesser knowns such as Star Fox, Earthbound, F-Zero, and in my opinion Kirby feel underrepresented. I want more series to cross the threshold and get some newcomers we aren't expecting.
2. Smash Ultimate is moreso a villains game than any of the others. So far, counting Echoes, 8 fighters have been revealed. Three of them are villains: King K Rool, Ridley, and Dark Samus. With Bowser, Bowser Jr., Dark Pit, Ganondorf, Meta Knight, and King Dedede also in the roster, villains are finally getting their time in the spotlight. Why not add a few more?
3. I'm not saying this increases his chances of getting in, but Porky has appeared in all three Mother games, while Ness and Lucas are each the protagonist of only one. Granted, they are both very memorable and recognizable heroes, but by Porky being in this game, he could become a recognizable villain and in tern possibly make Nintendo finally make the long awaited Mother 4.
4. Everything about Porky screams Smash to me. His design is amazing, Plus if he were to move around in the machine he controls, that would be awesome!
Porky wasn’t in MOTHER 1 though.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Clearly my hopes on Captain Toad and Tingle are dead, although I can still have hope in echo fighters like Louie/Brittany, Isabelle, and Ninten if Porky doesn't get in.
Just had a conversation with my neighbor about that. We were thinking Louie and the Hocotate Freight CEO would be good echoes but he also pointed out Ms. Pac-Man and also, this is a good one, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga as an echo for the Ice Climbers. That could be good.

I bet at some point he's just going to announce like 30 echo fighters at once because there are so many easy small ones they can finish before the game ships.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Just had a conversation with my neighbor about that. We were thinking Louie and the Hocotate Freight CEO would be good echoes but he also pointed out Ms. Pac-Man and also, this is a good one, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga as an echo for the Ice Climbers. That could be good.

I bet at some point he's just going to announce like 30 echo fighters at once because there are so many easy small ones they can finish before the game ships.
I've heard that Ms. Pac-Man appears in Pac-Man's stage (I don't remember the name), but as pixel art of course, she might have some chances despite that

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Oh, darn! Well there are still a lot of good echoes that could be filled out by important characters. That Bowser Jr. idea sounded pretty good to me.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I had some free time today so I made a Porky avatar with two versions, one sad, the other happy, for now I will wear the sad one, if somehow, by a miracle, he gets added, I will change to the smiling version (I did the same with Ridley)
proksad.png prok.png

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

Zeox

Smash Champion
this is HIGHLY likely something else, but just to keep an eye
https://twitter.com/KuroganeHammer/status/1029282244618141697
https://twitter.com/KuroganeHammer/status/1029285894505676800
apparently 2 unannounced characters, some stage interaction, and specifically Onett isn't allowed to be filmed on the newest build (possibly another demo?)
unless they're showing of a stage boss or Porky+Ninten as newcomers, who knows?
comments says that is a thing with the copyright music, people aren't allow to record the music from that stage or Ness's victory theme.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
I support his inclusion! I think he would make a perfect villain inclusion and just the thought of getting a giygas final smash or even stage would be out of this world!

Hero044

Smash Cadet
He would be so cool in smash!

I wonder which way they would include him, have him in his earthbound mech?, his mother 3 one? Maybe the fan made dr octopus thing?

Zeox

Smash Champion
I wonder which way they would include him, have him in his earthbound mech?, his mother 3 one? Maybe the fan made dr octopus thing?
Well if Ridley and K. Rool give us any clue, it would be his Earthbound looks but with small details of his Mother 3 one, but very small ones.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Well if Ridley and K. Rool give us any clue, it would be his Earthbound looks but with small details of his Mother 3 one, but very small ones.
I'd actually love to see his Mother 3 design, I was thinking about the Earthbound and Mother 3 forms being alts, but some moves that could be used with the Mother 3 form, like hitting with its upper arms, wouldn't work with the Earthbound mech. I'd love to see the Mother 3 Porky, but the Earthbound one has potential for a normal Porky and a business suit Porky, and I'd love that! If they didn't want to use an oversized Mother 3 Porky the Earthbound one would be perfect, just look at this:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'd actually love to see his Mother 3 design, I was thinking about the Earthbound and Mother 3 forms being alts, but some moves that could be used with the Mother 3 form, like hitting with its upper arms, wouldn't work with the Earthbound mech. I'd love to see the Mother 3 Porky, but the Earthbound one has potential for a normal Porky and a business suit Porky, and I'd love that! If they didn't want to use an oversized Mother 3 Porky the Earthbound one would be perfect, just look at this:
Grabbing items would be more easy in the Mother 3 design since there is no glass, he can grab stuff with his own hands without any problems.

Top Bottom