• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Porky Minch: The King of New Pork City

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
So I'm all for Porky being in Smash. Compare to him and Giygas he seems the most fitting for a playable character (I mean at least you can comprehend his attacks).

My question is how does he use items? Particuarly using the super scope and swinging melee weapons like the beam sword.

Zeox

Smash Champion
So I'm all for Porky being in Smash. Compare to him and Giygas he seems the most fitting for a playable character (I mean at least you can comprehend his attacks).

My question is how does he use items? Particuarly using the super scope and swinging melee weapons like the beam sword.
Either remove the glass from his spider mech so he himself can grab the item, or the spider mech, having 6 legs, can use the front legs as arms when grabbing the items.

jamesster445

Smash Lord

That is definitely the elephant in the room. The easiest answer is to say that Porky installed a hand in front of the mech which can be used to grab items and people.

Or maybe like a spider it uses some chain or artificial webbing. Porky does descend using chains when he introduces himself in Mother 3

EDIT- I just remembered but doesn't Porky learn a few PK and PSI abilities in Mother 3? So wouldn't those psychic abilities allow him to grab?

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Either remove the glass from his spider mech so he himself can grab the item, or the spider mech, having 6 legs, can use the front legs as arms when grabbing the items.
Yeah, unlike with quadrupeds this isn't really an issue for Porky.

Eureka_Herald

Smash Rookie
Personally, I never rated Porky's chances very high, but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. It'd be interesting, at least! On that note, I drew Porky just now, feel like it's a nice contribution if anything. Here's to hoping!

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So here's a character concept I did. Let me know what you think?

There has been a outcry of a certain character archetype for Smash Bros during the Wii U era and even now as we enter the Switch era. “Smash needs more villains and it needs more heavyweights.” Because of this, two names always pop up. Ridley from the Metroid series (who was recently confirmed) and King K.Rool of the Donkey Kong series. And Both are fine choices and there’s some commonality between them. They only had 2 reps and they were both heroes. But there was a third series that followed that same commonality but never got the same recognition. Which is sad, because the villain we’re talking about might be the most despicable villain Nintendo has ever published and more importantly, this villain has actually been in Smash before.

Special shout out to Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt for his Porky sprites.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I'm way late here, but Fourside being back is a big deal! I liked the stage but I'm even more excited for them to maybe revamp it, like animate the helicopter or something.

Also, someone mentioned Giygas v. Porky as a newcomer but I feel like he would need to be a stage to even be close to the level of impact and dread he symbolizes.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
If Porky was in smash, these are some of the themes I would like to be in smash (besides "Your highness", but that one is already in this Smash):

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
EDIT- I just remembered but doesn't Porky learn a few PK and PSI abilities in Mother 3? So wouldn't those psychic abilities allow him to grab?
his machine in Mother 3 is capable of using Psionic devices (see: the PSI Counter Device)
so if Sakurai were to use his "creative license" on Porky's Heavy Armor in Smash, he will give the liberty to utilize more PSI devices for many other usages

all though, he wouldn't need this to figure out how Porky would hold and use items in the gameplay. pretty simple.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Things I found, first a compilation of times Porky has appear or has been referenced in smash games:
Porky in smash.jpg

Melee:
1. The helicopter that he steals in Earthbound appears in Fourside
Brawl:
2. Porky Statue boss
3. Porky in his spider mech. Boss
4. Porky Statue Trophy
5. Porky in his spider mech. Trophy
6. Porky Sticker
7. New Pork City
Smash 4:
8. Porky Statue Trophy (3DS)
9. Porky in his spider mech. Trophy (Wii U)
10. Smash Tour, Porky appears as an item.
Ultimate:
11. New Pork City is back
12?. Fourside is back, but the helicopter returning hasn't been confirmed yet.

And the second thing I found is a size comparison with the sprites form Earthbound:
Porky size.png

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I support the most clever, most charming, and most trouble-making boy ever... Master Porky Minch!

Also, here's a support icon I made for the great pig king.
View attachment 145517

View attachment 145519
This is what I'd expect, although I do think the Devil's Machine and Giygas would be ten thousand times cooler.
How would giygas work when he doesn’t have a comprehensive forum

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I imagine his attack would be similar to Tabuu's wing attack, only every wave does random damage and elemental attacks. Kinda like Luigi's Negative Zone.
Not saying wouldn’t be possible... but if time is a factor for this game, I think Porky has a chance he he got a lot to work with from brawl.

Giygas doesn’t even have that clear of a model is what I’m getting at

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Not saying wouldn’t be possible... but if time is a factor for this game, I think Porky has a chance he he got a lot to work with from brawl.

Giygas doesn’t even have that clear of a model is what I’m getting at
Just replace the current background with Giygas a la the Nightmare Assist Trophy.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Today I was bored, so I grab the original Porky Bot sprite, changed him a little to give him more of a "Hoi!" pose, and made some alt colors:

Porky Sprite.png

Every color is based of something, try to guess.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
This is sad to see Porky so low. Only two pages? He's now my next highest dream pick and if Earthbound does get another rep it will be him most assuredly.

Why else would they deconfirm pretty much every other protagonist? Even Claus appears to be an option for Lucas again.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Right? Immediately I thought of the Smash page and how it only had two characters for the DK franchise... well now the we're rocking a whopping three, Earthbound is next in line. They still only have two.

Zeox

Smash Champion
E3, They made for the first time a reference to the first original 12 characters:

8/8 Direct, They made a reference of Heroes Vs. Rivals, showing 6 of the original 8 franchises with their villains / rivals:

New Pork is returning with all the music that comes with the stage, including Porky's theme, and they already had to do a 3D Model of Porky just for the statue of that stage, also Porky had an important role in Subspace, if they plan in doing a new story mode, it would make sense to have him again...

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I agree, the evidence is piling up and up for story mode being back. (I pretty much think it's a lock) and that had technically had two Porky bosses, one environmental, one was the mech.

Finally, the heroes and villains theme is really picking up steam after the opener to K. Rool reveal.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
If they want to keep up that heroes v villains theme, Porky is the best option since he is an adversary to both Ness and Lucas.

As for Fzero? Black Shadow as an echo fighter of Falcon? Everyone just wants him to inherit Ganon's moveset anyway.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I am really iffy on his chance's but Porky is one of my big wants; so add me to the list! I personally think he'd do nicely in a sort of "villain dlc pack' if not on the base roster, along with the likes of Marx and Eggman.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I feel the same way, where it doesn't seem like he'll make the base game but as a DLC he's literally one of the only non-deconfirmed characters the series has.

Edit: All this talk about how he would hold things, for reference I'd look at the way Mewtwo has been holding items for over ten years.
25aofaq.jpg

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Yeah I feel the same way, where it doesn't seem like he'll make the base game but as a DLC he's literally one of the only non-deconfirmed characters the series has.

Edit: All this talk about how he would hold things, for reference I'd look at the way Mewtwo has been holding items for over ten years.
View attachment 156837
Yeah, grabbing items shouldn't be the reason why a character is or is not in smash...

Still, I will repeat myself, I see two ways that aren't too crazy:

1. The spider mech have 8 legs, so using the front one as hands to grab stuff doesn't make it impossible to still walk around with the other 6 legs.

2. the glass from the mech opens like a window and Porky is the one with the item in his hands.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
I kind of agree that a mech both makes sense for Porky and adds something very lacking from Smash as a whole but...

is there any other way he could be a fighter? I wonder if they have looked at some other ways he could be represented, like disguised as you know who.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I kind of agree that a mech both makes sense for Porky and adds something very lacking from Smash as a whole but...

is there any other way he could be a fighter? I wonder if they have looked at some other ways he could be represented, like disguised as you know who.
Porky without his mech?
Either the popular but not canon "Doctor octo" spider boi:

Or just without anything, running around and using a pigmask weapon or spawning random enemies.
Or I dunno, put him in a small Pigmask tank:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I like the mech but I'm also open to the Doctor Octopus non-canon spider pack thing. It would potentially allow Porky to be a lot more expressive (as well as be able to perform a "spanky spanky" taunt)

Zeox

Smash Champion
I like the mech but I'm also open to the Doctor Octopus non-canon spider pack thing. It would potentially allow Porky to be a lot more expressive (as well as be able to perform a "spanky spanky" taunt)
He could still be very expresive in the spider mech, as long as is the one from Earthbound and not the one from Mother 3 (that version of Porky cannot even move).

Top Bottom