• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Do any of you guys ever feel like you din challenge yourself anymore? You stay in your comfort zone and no longer expand on your abilities?
Uh, nope. I'm pretty sure everything I draw turns out amazing. Not really...

One way to get past this is to draw something you loathe/are not so good at drawing. It will probably be boring and time consuming and not fun.

For me... Hands are really expressive and fun to draw, but I can't draw human feet anatomically correct at all. It takes me erasing them and redoing them about a hundred times before they look 'right'. Because of this my characters normally end up wearing shoes or socks. Sometimes I just gotta sit down and draw them though, and it takes a lot longer than just putting some shoes down on the paper.

Then again I assumed you meant drawing. The basic idea goes for any medium. The challenge comes from doing something you're not used to, whether it be shading, human anatomy, color coordination, etc. But for the record I think even when you create things in your 'comfort zone' you still improve... somewhat. Just not as much, maybe.

OK, seriously, bed. I think I rambled for a second there.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Do any of you guys ever feel like you din challenge yourself anymore? You stay in your comfort zone and no longer expand on your abilities? Well, I believe Ive hit that currently and need some help getting out of it. It's been like this for like the entire year. .____.
By expanding I'm assuming getting better, right? XP I found the easiest thing to do is to take a break or do something completely different. Like if you are an animationist stop animating for a few days to a week and work on a project with clay or painting then try and go back to animating. It really helps. Same applies with Smash. XD; If you have a character you've been working on for awhile and you enter tournaments.. eventually you'll have a block in the road thinking you can't get anywhere from where you are at or get any better on your character. But taking a break from your main for a week and picking up another character helps a lot! So yeah~! If you don't mean that then sorry and ignore this explanation! XD;

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
All I do is draw. I haven't done anything different until I entered the AWYP4. I have the tools, I just don't feel nlike doing something I'm unfamiliar with.

I always wanted to do something with Watercolor paints. I have them, but every time I use them, I get such unsatisfactory results.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Same. I have natural abilities in drawing and even better in clay. However, I cannot paint to save my life. I feel ya Zio. Like its ridiculous how much watercolors frustrate me.

And yeah, thanks NN, Today, and Zio. All your advice helped! (Currently drawing animals, hate doing them.)

Neon Ness

Also, working on an 'interesting' SWF project with Chaco xD Having fun doodling nonsensical pieces of lulz.
...And my 2D fighter. Currently in concept artwork and rewriting plots xP
Chaco said:
The other project is a secret for now. :3
HEY.

I don't think we ever found out what this was. Is it still a secret?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm interested in how to pull off green Screen. I know that it's used as a means to replace the green with images, I just want to know how to do it.

I'mma look it up. EDIT - easy. Found. Creative juices flowin' in mah head right now. :laugh:

Also, do any of you know how to copyright material? I have a story as well as character design and what have you, the reason I haven't released my work is because I don't know how to go about copy right. :embarrass

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
>.<; Uhm, I can try and help with the copyright. You mean on art, right? And do you mean the story or art? @__@; Stories not so much! I suggest just pasting and writing your name all over it or somewhere. XP; Sorries that wasn't helpful! I also know for art people use watermark in Photoshop to name the final print or just signing that as well.. Maybe you should try Google?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Just watermark it, you can't really copy right it at this point.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well, see, I want to make a comic (like a manga of sorts) and I was thinking of releasing it as a webcomic. I been working on my story and characters since I was in 7th grade (I'm hitting 24 years in two weeks).

I'm just tired of waiting. I don't want to go through paperwork hassle, but if I got to, I guess I don't got a choice. From what I was told, I gotta make a brief overview of all my characters and a synopsis, then bring it to . . . . That place. Dammit, can't remember the name, but it houses the District Attorney.

ANYWAY. They'd review is and give me the copyright, should my material fit the bill.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Hey

Hey people how's the Emporium doing?:laugh:

Just would like to show this comic I finished today, what do you think?

Anyway I've been working a pet project called BSSB, it's meant to be a serious smash bros story taking Subspace into account. Can I ask for ideas as to what the B in BSSB can stand for? I never really thought that part through.

The following pic has nothing to do with it except blender.

And Lokii I'm still curious about this fighting game of yours:)

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Those model edits are maaaaaaaad good. I like the style. Did you model the bodies?

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
^ Agreed.

B words..
Bravery
Bash/Basking/Bashed
Battle/Battling/Battled/Battledore
Bayonet
Become/Became/Becoming
Beelzebub.
Beacon
Bacon
Believe
Belittle
Breath/breathe
Blossom
XD; Uhm~! Can't think of anything else. XP I'm sure you can use Google as well!

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I'd get rid of Peach's earrings for that model, or at least shrink them a bit. I don't think they fit with the overall design.

Neon Ness

Anyway I've been working a pet project called BSSB, it's meant to be a serious smash bros story taking Subspace into account. Can I ask for ideas as to what the B in BSSB can stand for? I never really thought that part through.
How about "Before"? It could work if it's a prologue sort of thing that occurs previous to the events of SSE. Before Super Smash Bros. Brawl... *shrug* Or you could use something else entirely. Those models are really good, though. Did you edit those from Brawl or make new ones from scratch?

Speaking of modeling, if anyone's ever played BlazBlue, I made an Arakune model a while back. It's sort of a huge image...

http://api.ning.com/files/7PzP*9jXU...wuPuEw4o5km*YU0*CnJCePyBHT7hU4*/Arakune15.png

I like how it turned out so far. I think I want to add an arm so he can be reading a book.

Edit: Also, everyone should definitely vote in the flyer contest if they haven't yet.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Those model edits are maaaaaaaad good. I like the style. Did you model the bodies?
For Falco yes except the feet and hands, for Peach I used what was salvageable from the trophy model, had to almost remake the torso and knees.

How about "Before"? It could work if it's a prologue sort of thing that occurs previous to the events of SSE.
It's gonna take place afterwards, theres some thing about adding a word at the beginning, but I just went with Brave.

Lotsa work to do though...

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Those models are kicking Joe!
Are you going to give peach a different head accessory?

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Those models are kicking Joe!
Are you going to give peach a different head accessory?
I was gonig to keep it the way is now, but alway I'm open to suugestions

Why does it have to start with B, btw?
I doesn't have to, I just like the sound of BSSB and didn't want to have smash bros (word for fight), I could change the B part to something else later on.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
BSSB kinda sounds like Bull**** Smash Brothers :p
:chuckle: Well, I didn't think of it that way, I might think of something else later but for now there's modeling, texturing(Ugh), and rigging to be done. :cool:

And here's a concept I made thateveryone should take to heart:

You'd play that wouldn't you

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
http://www.deviantart.com/download/159015832/Inari____Crappy_Quality_by_pyromaniac_chaos.jpg

Picture for an art show :D 5 hours of pure fun!~
My teacher is gonna hate me...kinda...well...the other picture im submitting isnt anime at all...but this one...she might be ticked at me quite a bit xD

EDIT: Colors are wayyy distorted and it looks 10x worse in photo due to the paper being too big for the scanner and the only camera i could find was the one on my phone...yeahhhhh....
And the skin actually looked cool with its many colors >_<

Neon Ness

Lol I don't think it looks bad. The picture quality is good enough. I dunno much about anime style so I can't say much besides "Good job!", I can tell it took a bit of time to do all that. Oh, and floating eyeballs are the best.

And why is it that art teachers all across the country have a vendetta against anime?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Anime is overdone. Instructors want to see more talent. Anime is easy to emulate and get down, and some of it doesn't even require a half-way decent understanding of the anatomy.

I would agree with these instructors, although I am guilty of it myself. My current style is very much anime, but i didn't start out that way.

EDIT - on a similar note, should you put together a portfolio for to apply for a job as a pencilist, inker, painter, graphic designer, or what have you, Anime (in which there is a abundance of) is not what will help you. It will hurt. People look for a wide range of skills. Can you paint? What is your medium strength (oil paint/chalk pastels/pencil/charcoal/etc)? What is your composition strength (Landscape/cityscape/portraits/realism/etc)? The more you provide, the better.

But that is what I have been told. And gaining 2 in my AP art class for my portfolio because of this similar style of anime further implanted these ideas. So I hold to them more. <_<

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Thanks guise > w <

Don't worry, art class is anime free 99.9% of the time for me :3
That pic was outside of class nonsense that i put together because, frankly, i needed marker practice.

But i agree with Zio, portfolioliolio should have a diversity of stuff.
That'll make colleges/employers love you more xD

Neon Ness

Anime is overdone. Instructors want to see more talent. Anime is easy to emulate and get down, and some of it doesn't even require a half-way decent understanding of the anatomy.

I would agree with these instructors, although I am guilty of it myself. My current style is very much anime, but i didn't start out that way.

EDIT - on a similar note, should you put together a portfolio for to apply for a job as a pencilist, inker, painter, graphic designer, or what have you, Anime (in which there is a abundance of) is not what will help you. It will hurt. People look for a wide range of skills. Can you paint? What is your medium strength (oil paint/chalk pastels/pencil/charcoal/etc)? What is your composition strength (Landscape/cityscape/portraits/realism/etc)? The more you provide, the better.

But that is what I have been told. And gaining 2 in my AP art class for my portfolio because of this similar style of anime further implanted these ideas. So I hold to them more. <_<
Well, almost everything is "overdone", in today's art world pretty much anything you can think of has been done in several different forms. Can I say realism is overdone because it's been practiced so much? I'm not sure that your first point holds water... Sure, there is a lot of subpar anime junk out there, but for people who put forth extra effort into making it look refined and a notch above the rest, I think they should at least be given a chance and not written off immediately.

And as far as understanding anatomy, I can just say that I've seen a lot of images in my art history courses with very incorrect human anatomy, and I don't mean Picasso. :laugh: So I dunno if that's a good reason either. Even besides, correct anatomy isn't always a requirement. People who dream of being cartoonists probably don't fill their portfolio with anatomically correct characters. I agree about variety, though. That's a good thing to have.

For the record I wasn't trying to shoot down your post for the sake of being a jerk. :p I've just always heard this stigma about anime and no one's ever been able to give me a straight answer that makes sense to me yet. I don't really care for it that much/practice it myself, but it isn't fair to the people who do.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
People pretty much describe anything that isn't super cartoony or realistic as being "anime style", so the spectrum's pretty broad. You just draw the way you draw.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Moving on - Anyone got knowledge on camcorders?

I've come across enough money to afford one, so I want to purchase one.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yes, I realized that, but I was hoping on getting some personal opinion here.

I've already done my internet search. I just wanted to see if I could get more here. :dizzy:

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Can I ask some opinions on the some of this stuff? It's all WIP though.

Ganon redesign (I'm to incorporate all aspects from his designs into 1 look.)

Slippy redesign

I really do want to be diverse with who appears in BSSB even if it's cameos.

And can you this who this I'll be? (And does anyone know anything about doing low poly hair?)

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Hey! im kinda new to this part of the forum and i have a couple of questions

1. Does all of the artwork here have to be smash related?
2. Do you guys critique each others artwork? :O

thanks

Vanitas

Smash Ace
@Vanitas.
1. Of course not! Show off whatever you'd like to show off!
2. Just ask! We all like to help each other. -^__^-v
Great! sounds good :)
where would be the most ideal location for me to put up pictures? do i just make a new thread or what? :O

EDIT: kk i guess what i really mean is, how do i get started around here haha :p

Neon Ness

Great! sounds good :)
where would be the most ideal location for me to put up pictures? do i just make a new thread or what? :O

EDIT: kk i guess what i really mean is, how do i get started around here haha :p
"Get started"? It's a social thread! :laugh: Talk about whatever you want, or post artistic junk if you have any. If you want serious feedback it should probably go here
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235725, everything you need to know is outlined in the first post. But if you just feel like showing off a quick sketch or something, I think it's fine if you post it in this thread.

You don't really need to make a new thread... unless it's like a whole bunch of images you want to show.

With all that said, welcome to the AE, this place doesn't get a lot of visitors often.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, moving back to anime talk. I can level with you, my teachers HATE it. It's why I can no longer draw it because I've moved from it so much.

My skills vary quite a bit. I like ink. I like splattering. I love clay. (I havent done it in a year though :() I despise all forms of painting.

Top Bottom