• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

neous

Smash Journeyman
see. isnt it more fun when people post things to look at o 3-

bio
2nd to last image is fav

morino
join our skype chat. usually everyone else is too busy to draw with me.
Also, i've never seen your art. link me

that way i know whether or not to dodge your collab.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I made a walk cycle for one of my characters in flash. It's not complete, but he's at least walking in this version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frh6bQqXm9U

youtube sucks. It doesn't give an option to repeat

I drew out the individual walk cycle, but when I was working on it, I ended up using transforms and modifying the same picture. Don't know if that is considered bad or not, but I think it works good enough for what I was going for

We were doing basic character animation in flash, so I wanted to give it a go with my own characters

BioDG

Smash Ace
Thank you, choknater/neous.

@PsychoIncarnate: Looks like a convincing animation there. Good stuff. Modifying the same image is actually a more effective approach in this situation, in my opinion. Many movements don't involve the whole body, so it makes sense to keep certain things consistent. Many drawn animated works seem to make creative solutions out of tiny, static parts of their illustrations when needed, but I'm no genius on the subject.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

Quick model for my texture mapping class. Mostly wanted to focus on the texture for obvious reasons xD
But, it was made from a concept we worked on at global game jam. We didnt have time to completely model or texture to our liking, so I decided to try my hand at it (I was not a modeler this weekend)

For once, I had fun modeling ; u ;

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For some reason, Illustrator turned all my strokes into shapes when I loaded it up again.

I am NOT happy about that

Geist

Smash Master

Quick model for my texture mapping class. Mostly wanted to focus on the texture for obvious reasons xD
But, it was made from a concept we worked on at global game jam. We didnt have time to completely model or texture to our liking, so I decided to try my hand at it (I was not a modeler this weekend)

For once, I had fun modeling ; u ;
Were you allowed to use incandescence maps?
Glowy bits like that can't really be textured with diffuse maps unless you're baking the lighting on afterwards. If you use an incandescence map, the diffuse will output light on your actual object and make it look all pretty
For some reason, Illustrator turned all my strokes into shapes when I loaded it up again.

I am NOT happy about that
I feel bad for laughing, I've never heard of that happening
Seriously though that sucks.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've got 4 back ups from different time periods I worked on it, and the same problem is happening to all of them

Edit: Actually, it may be fixable. While the strokes are shapes, the fill is in the shape of the original design. I just have to delete the stroke-shapes, keep the fill shapes and add strokes to the fill shapes

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, here's the picture I was working on

It's not complete, but it's going to be harder working on it now that all the lines are gone. I'll try something to fix it later

It's part of the series with the character I animated

Edit: LOL, check this out. I edited the picture since than, and using photoshop I made it look like an old school picture of mine. With the funky background and everything. I'm still no better at making backgrounds since then, although I'm going to try adding a real backdrop to my animation

The right arm is more or less a placeholder...

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Were you allowed to use incandescence maps?
Glowy bits like that can't really be textured with diffuse maps unless you're baking the lighting on afterwards. If you use an incandescence map, the diffuse will output light on your actual object and make it look all pretty

I feel bad for laughing, I've never heard of that happening
Seriously though that sucks.
I had a self illum, you just can't tell toooo much because default renderer :'3
Gonna play around with it in a bit since it was almost 4 am when I finished it xD

:phone:

Geist

Smash Master
The short film shown before Wreck-It-Ralph was posted yesterday and it is AWESOME. I'm wondering at the technology used to make it, so magical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLySbGoMX0
Oh jesus all these feels
It's probably my favorite short film ever

Here's a behind the scenes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJLtujW6FY

There's a lot of techno-babble and pre-required knowhow but it should still be interesting to see the software at work.
It's a brand new proprietary program that generates 2d animation frames based off of 3d models.
It's like the future

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Tis an honor Chok

Tanks geo xD (the actual non compressed diffuse looks better I promise)

Lol people have been saying that
I'll get a real render up when I add the spec

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know I already posted a version on this page, but after using photoshop, and adding some more pieces, and coloring it I think it turned out nicely

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

I'll post the maps later......my unwraps are always awful u x u but my textures were painted with love n__n
Pic is a tad distorted because photoshopping didnt mix with facebook so it made it darker/blurry

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I do have normals u . u; and spec. spec is lowered because it was horribly distorting colors, but normals have been raised to well over 100 iirc
not the best image though u . u stupid fb blurrringggg

Geist

Smash Master
:c

what resolution map?
was it a 256 or a 512

also spec shouldn't be distorting colors :l

OH and maya 2013 JUST got a brand spanking new interface patch, it can render realtime materials and lighting/shadows like marmoset toolbag can.
a guy who works at microsoft's game studio says it looks exactly the same on the viewport as the renders.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Ahhhh Thas awesome
Gotta learn maya ASAP

It was just making everything too shiny for my liking so the colors looked off

And the map was 1024
It's more apparent in the non fb version of the picture xP

BioDG

Smash Ace
Polygons are super sweet but I'm missing the drawings posts already :[

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
^Here ya' go.

I'm getting better at using the tablet. I still need to clean a bit up, but it's just a little sketch for practice.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Still trying to hone different methods through fan art.
[COLLAPSE="Tablet Practice - MMZ"]
[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Sketch Practice - FF9"]
[/COLLAPSE]

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
After experimenting with the paintbrush tool in illustrator, I've decided I need to get a tablet

Geist

Smash Master
everyone needs to get a tablet

your faces are looking better 1up salesman but you might find you're drawing the far eye a bit too small

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone recommend a tablet? I'm thinking about getting the intuos 5 medium

Ok, I decided to go with the Intuos 5 Medium

BioDG

Smash Ace
Nice leviathan, Geoboros.

As for tablets, I personally bought the smallest one available and I ended up using it just fine with no constraints. At work, I have a bigger tablet and I tend to interchange between them without a hitch. I feel like no matter what tablet you buy, your hand-eye coordination naturally adapts to it.

Either that, or I just got lucky with my first purchase. Hmm...

Top Bottom