• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Geist

Smash Master
yeah you're using more overlaps now, which is good, but try to stay more seamless with the animation loop, it looks like it cuts off unnaturally due to there being no forward movement when it's fully extended.

try to stay less uniform for frame by frame movements, and give your animations speed ups and slow downs to exaggerate movements. It'll look more natural, forceful and organic.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Working on an assignment in "Composition" class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI5iCZnFfyg&feature=youtu.be

I'm planning on turning that into a full thing, though I probably won't get much more done with that before it's due. I'll expand it to what I originally planned even after it's due.

I'm turning it into an animation with a really short story.

Edit: after I finish this, I'm going to make another similar piece but in a world that is MUCH more ...colorful. Although I'm not sure exactly how to do the coloring style I plan, I have a couple ideas.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Anyone touch the Sonic Riders series?
Tried to apply the 3D guidelines on this attempt, as suggested since the Glen Keane's Rapunzel character design art was given.

Edit: Forgot to add the wired comparisonhttps://sta.sh/0iai4we7h6t

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Should've figured you posted here before. Shows how often you watch threads D:

And yeah, I went thread exploring about a year ago and found these chill peeps and thought I'd hang around to learn stuffs and more from them.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I say we bring back AWYP and stuff. Writer's got their ribbon, but the artist group was destroyed, got our custom title and name color taken, and now we have no postbit. That's just janky

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I have a Cinema 4D question/problem.

I've added gravity to a scene that I've created (a rigid body object falling on to a plane with a collider tag), and when it hits the ground thanks to the gravity particle I've added it sort of hits the floor and bounces like a dropped coin, and when I press play it shows this.
However, my rendered animation is completely disregarding the gravity particle on the scene, so I'm guessing I've done something wrong.

My comp is basically:
-Gravity (from the simulate>particles menu)
-Sky
-Background
-Plane with collider tag
-Object with rigid body tag

I'm new to Cinema 4D so this is all trial and error, but I've animated what I want, it just won't render that way.
The gravity's settings could be the problem maybe, the acceleration is set to 10,000cm, and respect dynamic mass is enabled.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Neither am I XD.

No worries lol, I'll just screw around with stuff even more.
I'm trying to ignore the technical side of it as best as I can. There's probably some doohickey that I've not selected somewhere along the line, it's more frustrating due to the fact that it's actually working in the programme itself, it just doesn't want to render that way.

Geist

Smash Master
yooo it's Joeeee
How've you been?

The class I was planning on hanging in on was cancelled without me knowing, so I did a speed sculpt in Zbrush :D
sculpt was about 2 hours of work.

Original concept is from the Creature Box blog

If anyone here hasn't seen Creature Box, I strongly recommend it. Creature Box is the art from the 2 lead concept artists from Insomniac games, and personally they're both some of my favorite artists. I've learned a ton lurking around their site and watching their video recordings of their concept paintings that they have posted up there.
creaturebox.com

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Been good, nice to see some polygons and what.

@Geist: Looking good and cartoony, and his look reminds me of the Crimson Chin. What was the base shape? normally i cant do intricate sculpting in blender, cuz it or my comp can't handle it.

Geist

Smash Master
@Geist: Looking good and cartoony, and his look reminds me of the Crimson Chin. What was the base shape? normally i cant do intricate sculpting in blender, cuz it or my comp can't handle it.
it started as one of the crappy zbrush default heads, but I smoothed it down until it was more or less a stump. they're pretty much a glorified sphere with a bit of premade polyflow anyways

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Still, the outcome looks good! Zbrush seems pretty nice to use.

Edit:

I've been trying to get into 2d and 3d animating. So here's part of an effort:

It's not easy, makes me wanna scream.

Geist

Smash Master
It looks nice and smooth, your key framing and transitions are done pretty well. You might want to put a bit of exaggerated speed and movements on some things, most notably the spin. It feels too uniform, and the body is too stiff. Try offsetting the head, shoulders, hips, knees and feet when you key your rotations, and then give all those rotation keys a sort of bell curve to start off faster than it ends.

Also I agree with the screaming part. I've been exporting .obj files and extracting normal maps for almost 2 weeks now.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
If you are having any trouble, let us know :3 we can critique and stuff, so even if its hard to draw with injured hand, we can at least give some tips on fixing things.
The games industry is all about hiding mistakes afterall ; D
(srsly though if you can hide a mistake that doesnt hurt the game you are doing something right)

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Got assignments to do, getting 18 points or more (6 beginners and 4 intermediates). Due next week by Tuesday. 1 finished, 9 to go.

Anyways, made a collaboration with 5 classmates last Tuesday and ended up getting extra points.

Used with Alchemy.

Geist

Smash Master
I'm 99% sure it's for college or university

Joe, have you seen the new software Disney has that procedurally generates frames for you? You only have to draw the keys and the program is like I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE CITIZEN

I never got alchemy to work
I tried like 12 times and then I remembered that I can totally draw

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
yooo it's Joeeee
How've you been?

The class I was planning on hanging in on was cancelled without me knowing, so I did a speed sculpt in Zbrush :D
sculpt was about 2 hours of work.

Original concept is from the Creature Box blog

If anyone here hasn't seen Creature Box, I strongly recommend it. Creature Box is the art from the 2 lead concept artists from Insomniac games, and personally they're both some of my favorite artists. I've learned a ton lurking around their site and watching their video recordings of their concept paintings that they have posted up there.
creaturebox.com

For 2 hours looks good man. Spend a extra day getting really in there to make it look perfect. I didn't know the smash community did these type of work I should post some of mine. Zbrush is cool works just like Mudbox :D.

Geist

Smash Master
For 2 hours looks good man. Spend a extra day getting really in there to make it look perfect. I didn't know the smash community did these type of work I should post some of mine. Zbrush is cool works just like Mudbox :D.
Thanks, and yes you should most definitely post some of your stuff. We have a pretty tight-knit little sub community over here, a lot of people in the AE are going to art schools for game/animation art development. It's a pretty good place to get some feedback and critique.

And nah, it's just a 3d doodle lol, I have rather large 3d projects I'm actually working on at the moment. I'll definitely be showing them when they're done.
Zbrush is my fave though. I've always found it much more capable and powerful than mudbox for sculpting, but I do use mudbox for the polypainting tools. Maybe I'll post some of my handmade textures I'm working on lol

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, and yes you should most definitely post some of your stuff. We have a pretty tight-knit little sub community over here, a lot of people in the AE are going to art schools for game/animation art development. It's a pretty good place to get some feedback and critique.

And nah, it's just a 3d doodle lol, I have rather large 3d projects I'm actually working on at the moment. I'll definitely be showing them when they're done.
Zbrush is my fave though. I've always found it much more capable and powerful than mudbox for sculpting, but I do use mudbox for the polypainting tools. Maybe I'll post some of my handmade textures I'm working on lol

I am also in school learning to create Games. The Blender and Autodesk forums haven't been to promising in giving feedback, usually never. So uploading some work here seems nice XD. Hope to see more work from you ;).

Geist

Smash Master
you can check my deviantart if you want, but a lot of it is outdated and I don't update it xD

uninfinitum.deviantart.com
I've been going to the Art institute of vancouver now for almost 2 and a half years now, specializing in character design and modeling for animations, but I'm pretty experienced with a lot of other styles, subjects and mediums.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Games and art and stuff

Happy end of the quarter Bren
If I could drink id be long gone by now

Also portfolio show happened here today doood
My friend Dani almost won for GAD and my bud Aaron won best in show and best MAA
'twas a good day for team awesome

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
@Geist: Those frame techs were amazing in Paperman (Sure beats those cell shade/Edge filters). Real curious to see it used in a full length film, in colour.

@RockinRudy: Yeah the blender forums were a mixed bag for me, sometimes helpful, often not. I just kind of stopped going after a while.

The Advertising school I'm currently going to just closed for Easter holidays, pretty hyped about that, so happy holidays to y'all that are having some time off :)

Edit: A pic of that char from the AE hero comic thing from way back... I think her name was Zahara.

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
Should I draw heads by starting with a circular shape and expanding off of it for the chin or by drawing an egg shape to start out? I'm not toooooo concerned about hyper-realism due to my style, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

Geist

Smash Master
Doesn't matter. When you draw guides like an oval or a circle with a jaw, they should never ever be your final lines. Guides should be meticulously placed, sure - but only as measurements. When drawing an oval, all you're doing is framing a subject, in this case, a head. It allows you to break the measurements, establish the top and bottom as width of the head, and then allows you to work your way from there with more complex measurements, ex) the eyes being at the midway point, nose being midway between eyes and chin, and mouth being the midpoint of nose and chin, and so on.
Assuming that your starting shapes will be accurate is wrong. Starting your guides assuming they'll be accurate also limits your ability to fix problems if they arise. Flexibility is what separates good artists from bad ones.

When you see portraits of people that have horribly lopsided or skewed features, it's a product of bad process, rather than the difference between starting out with an oval or a circle.

Top Bottom