• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #17 - Interested In Learning Japanese?

Poll Of The Week #17 - Interested In Learning Japanese?

• I'm already fluent! :D

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Yeah, I'm already benkyoushing it up! (studying...w/ engrish ^_<)

Votes: 66 15.8%
  • I'm considering learning it, it'd be pretty cool

Votes: 214 51.3%
  • I'm already learning another language

Votes: 56 13.4%
  • Nah, I don't have any real interest

Votes: 76 18.2%

• Total voters

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Okay, this Sunday I promise these polls will go back to being more normal, Melee / SSBB based, but I forgot to make one this past week, and since I haven't skipped a week yet, I'm not about to. So, here's a quick filler for ya (those of you currently watching Naruto and Bleach, now you can hate me too ^_<).

So, interested in learning Japanese, land of videogames, anime, and nurses & tentacles? Think that it'd be worthwhile to learn Japanese, so you could import FFXIII next time and not have to wait a year for the english version, or what? If you had to learn a foreign language, would it be Japanese? I guess my interest in the language started because of videogames and anime (and the onnanohito's ^_<), but now it's more than that. Anyone else?

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Heh, you guys are too fast, always gettin' in before I create the poll ;P

And okay, what do you guys think of polls SSBB / SSBM wise? I'll still make SSBM polls here (again, if you have any suggestions, post 'em or PM me, I always look at them!). Though, for SSBB, since not much information is known, do people still want them? (Maybe I should make a poll on it, heh, chi ^_<)

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't seem like these polls have much to do with Smash anymore. I'm sure you could think of a few polls for SSBB now.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Aye, it's kinda hard to think of a good poll for Smash these days. You can't really ask polls on complicated topics...if you do, it's just like "Do you think it's useful?", which really don't get much answered. So just treat these polls as something fun, and they don't necessarily have to pertain to Smash.

Aiser

Smash Lord
I'd loved to learn it..>_> I like learning new things, from what I hear Japanese is one of the hardest languages to learn so why not? lol.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
No interest at all. It's a language, yeah, but what's the chance that I will use it out of videogames? I'm studying Spanish right now, and that is much more helpful. (btw I'm just 13, so I have a chance to choose it as secondary language at...whatever it is called, it comes after nine grade :p)

Dark Feather

Smash Apprentice
I'm 13 too. But I'm considering learning it. You can then unlock the language of the masters lol

BentoBox

Smash Master
I'll be taking japanese lessons starting next september :D, along with chinese.. I'm worried it might get to intense but w/e.

I took 7 years of spanish classes, and I can't even hold a discussion with an hispanic... Mainly because I never get to practice with anyone x_x'' Finding asians on e-videogames is no hard task tho ;D

Black Hayate

Smash Lord
Aiser said:
I'd loved to learn it..>_> I like learning new things, from what I hear Japanese is one of the hardest languages to learn so why not? lol.
japanese is not the hardest, chinese is, thank god i know how to speak chinese

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Japanese is pretty easy IMO. It's the kanji (chinese characters) that kill ya.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
I am not really interested at the moment. In the future maybe. Meanwhile I will just have to have my friend translate whenever he finishes his classes.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I'd love to learn Japanese, but I have nowhere where I can learn right now. I live in southern Louisiana, there's not a huge Japanese presence here. :p If they taught it at my college, I'd have taken it over Spanish.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
My college doesn't teach Japanese, just Chinese. Half my computer science teachers are Chinese, too. >__>
It'd be interesting and definitely useful, but I don't want to try learning it on my own. I tried memorizing Hirigana characters and the only one I can still remember is "no".

Xx swift xX

Smash Apprentice
Nowhere to learn....

I REALLY wanna learn Japanese, but whenever I try to find a place to learn, I come up blank. I'm sure it's not too hard to pick up (if you have a teacher), but it's really hard if you don't have anywhere to learn. Oh well.... :(

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I've quit Japan (Excluding Nintendo), so there's no need for Japanese.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
I amm considering learning some japanese, it seems like a very intelligent language. When I move on from high school, the japanese language class seems very inviting, my sister told me it was pretty fun. Also I can understand those dramas and animes that come out, so it would help out a lot. Also playing japanese games would be much easier!

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Xx swift xX said:
I REALLY wanna learn Japanese, but whenever I try to find a place to learn, I come up blank. I'm sure it's not too hard to pick up (if you have a teacher), but it's really hard if you don't have anywhere to learn. Oh well.... :(
Check your local community college. You should be able to take at least a year's worth there. It should give you an idea of the basics, and whether or not you want to continue it. I for one took a year of Japanese at the nearby community college during my junior year in high school. Now, with only three weeks left to go in my first year at UCLA, I'm much more proficient in my Japanese (my minor). Everything I learned in that year at a community college I learned in the first quarter here (three quarters to the standard school year). Just to give you a rough estimate of how far you can go with a four-year university :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've considered it somewhat. But that's because I like Doujinshi(Hentai COMICS), but hey that's just me. Mangas are different from Doujinshi, as it's both the Japanese and English term for Artistic Comics that actually look nice.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Bah, I'm already done with french, don't wanna try any other language. I know both english and spanish to a fluent extent, and 2 years of french under my belt, i'm done^_^.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Yeah, sure, I wanna learn. Teach me Japanese... please?

私に日本語を教えなさい。

PS: does anyone know a website that translates from Romanji to English?

Okurama

Smash Journeyman
Tijuana, CA (yeah, i know i change my location, AG
HAH! que bueno que yo ya aprendi español (translation: HAH! i already know spanish)

so know i what to learn japanese, seeing to many anime, japanese versions of somegames just make me crazy, is like i just crazy for japan, and there hella good language (roy and marth knw how to seak jaanese, so if videogame dudes know hw to speak that freaking language, that means i can, so who can teach me, am really crazy for it)

Loop

Smash Apprentice
I took a year of Japanese my sophmore year of college. It was pretty interesting, and it's cool being able to read hiragana and katakana now (even if I don't know what it means), but I have no interest of pursuing it any further.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
My japanese fetish is not nearly like it used to be.
I just play their video games and have no delusions of grandeur about living there, making anime/games, becoming Japanese in any form, or otherwise being assosciated with them outside the market sector. I like the idea sometimes, maybe to go visit, but in short, No, not that interested.

Alandorf

Smash Journeyman
i wish i could speak japanese, that would be awesome. i can barely use my own language properly though so how can i learn another. Too bad its not a common language offered at school.

Sav'ur

Smash Cadet
I'd like to learn Japanese but not through the layman's way and that is to watch animes over and over again and just speak phrases that characters say or try to create your own sentences only to really sound a**-backwards in the language. If I'm going to learn Japanese, I want to learn the professional way, not the stupid way.

Dark Yoshi77

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool to learn it so i could import games from japan.

*Becomes ill knowing the DS Lite is already released there*

Rael

Smash Rookie
As much as Japanese would be cool to learn, Chinese is really the way to go for most careers nowadays.

Top Bottom