• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #17 - Interested In Learning Japanese?

Poll Of The Week #17 - Interested In Learning Japanese?

• I'm already fluent! :D

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Yeah, I'm already benkyoushing it up! (studying...w/ engrish ^_<)

Votes: 66 15.8%
  • I'm considering learning it, it'd be pretty cool

Votes: 214 51.3%
  • I'm already learning another language

Votes: 56 13.4%
  • Nah, I don't have any real interest

Votes: 76 18.2%

• Total voters

Luiginater

Smash Apprentice
Alandorf said:
i wish i could speak japanese, that would be awesome. i can barely use my own language properly though so how can i learn another. Too bad its not a common language offered at school.

I also wish I could speak japanese

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I guess it'd be pretty cool, but I don't think I'll go learning it. I already have Spanish to worry about:rolleyes:. But the Japaneese versions of games are useally better. Like how Mew2 talks in Japaneese, the HRC platform is larger, and even in other games, like Tales of Symphonia, have more stuuf to it in Japaneese.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I would like to learn it. Then I could understand the japanese imported games and not have to read subtitles on anime (not that I dislike subtitles, it's just it'd make life easier).

Skywalker

Space Jump
I'm interested in learning Japanese, but sadly, my school doesn't offer it :( So, I'm stuck with German.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I would enjoy learning Japanese, when I find the time. At this current time I'm busy with studies at Uni... but I'd consider it over my summer break coming up in a month and a bit.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
If I get that confirmation email from the japanese for rookies site, maybe I will be able to learn it... But I think it will never come <_<.

h2

Smash Rookie
Since we're talking Japan, there must be a smashboards equivalent for them, but where is it?

I'm too lazy to spawn a new thread, someone just list me random foreign equivalents to smashboards ;(

Cort

Apple Head
I'm considering learning it, it'd be pretty cool

I'm already fluent in 3 languages, Japanese would be pretty interesting. But I hear it's ridiculously hard...

Peeze

Smash Master
Not to sound insensitive or anything, but that isht looks too hard to learn, and since i live in AMERICA I have no need to write my F's upside down and sideways turned inside a loop.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Listen to Kokichi, he knows what he's talking about. Japanese is very easy to learn in the speaking/listening department. I would go as far as saying it's as easy as Spanish. Reading/writing is a whole different story. What makes Japanese hard is the Kanji. Kanji is the Chinese form of writing. Some 2,000 characters must be learned in order to be fluent at reading Japanese/Chinese. While Japanese has it's own alphabet, the Hiragama, it's mostly used as an extension to the Kanji.

For me, I started learning with Pimsluer(sp) audio CDs. It was a great way to get introduced to the language. I would highly suggest it for those who don't have any Japanese classes available in their area. It's a bit expensive, but you can get them used for pretty cheap on Amazon or Ebay.

But that won't get you anywhere close to reading/writing, which is what you're going to need if you want to import Japanese games. For that, it would be better to find a class. You're going to need a structured method to learning it.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
The only reason half of the American [not speaking for other countries] world wants to learn Japanese is because of the infulence their games and anime have on them. Im American and I dont want to learn Japanese...nor do I see a point, since I dont know many non-English fluent Japenese people and I dont ever plan to live there.

But Im sure Im not the only one who noticed that people who love anime = want to learn japanese...

MasterGary

Smash Ace
i alredy know english fluently and dutch almost fluently. and im gettin spanish and french now. i dont have the oputunity to take japanese but i dont think that i wud take it. i wud definately intrested but i wud want to lern it for fun and not as a subject in skool. and i lern a lil stuff like baka from watchin naruto and bleach.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I think it would be cool and I want to, but I already know english, obviously, romanian, french, latin, and a little spanish. I already get confused enough with them esp. romanian and french.

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
I hope this isnt bumping...
Im learning Japanese now
Been for two weeks
Matane

bugball

Smash Apprentice
chubble u are learning spanish? in spanish!!! hahah i dont meet nobody who want to learn my lenguaje, so amazing.. que tal amigo? de donde eres? ;)

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
I want to try, after watching naruto illegally on youtube... I can reconise a few words ...not much :( Oh and kokichi, i do hate you for using the word"filler"

cF=)

Smash Lord
I got french, english and spanish in my luggage. No japanese, thanks.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
All I have is enlish, and my english sucks [it's broken english, which sounds kinda ******** if you ask me] I doubt I could learn another language now.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
I'm a second year student. Nihongo benkyou shinikui desu. Not a big fan of romaji...

I noticed that I forgot pretty much all my Spanish (two years of that as well) when I started learning Japanese, which kinda sucks.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
Actually. It's funny. I randomly wikied/found other websites on japanese the other day, just to get a slight idea of the basics, so I could understand some song names and whatever.

I could get the sentence structure and grammer and stuff like that. It's the vocabulary that gets me <_< You would really have to be born in Japan to have a really fluent grip on the language as a whole.

But I CAN say ice cream in Japanese ^_^

Edit: Yeah, I'm sure I made myself sound like a total noob and moron to all the people who actually KNOW Japanese, but hey <_<

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
I'm another student of japanese. i don't know how long i've been studying it but i know hiragana, most katakana, and a good handful of kanji (maybe 40?) it's an amazing language. and i'd have to agree that the 'onna no hito' are a big part of it LOL

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Already learned one new language back in high school and wow is it a pain. Can't exactly travel to Japan to become well spoken in it either. lol

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
My friend and I are learning it as a freelance language, starting with vowels and working our way up to Hiragana and then Katakana.

I find it amusing because most of the time when my English teacher is lecturing, instead of falling asleep, I study it.

It's pretty cool stuff to say the least and well worth knowing.

Top Bottom