• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #12 - Cheapest Character?

Cheapest Character?

• Doctor Mario

Votes: 8 0.6%
  • Mario

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Luigi

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Bowser

• Peach

Votes: 199 15.7%
  • Yoshi

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Donkey Kong

• Captain Falcon

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 9 0.7%
  • Falco

Votes: 86 6.8%
  • Fox

Votes: 134 10.6%
  • Ness

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • Ice Climbers

Votes: 52 4.1%
  • Kirby

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Samus

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • Zelda

• Sheik

Votes: 325 25.7%
  • Link

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • Young Link

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Pichu

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • Pikachu

• Jigglypuff

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • Mewtwo

• Mr. Game & Watch

Votes: 9 0.7%
  • Marth

Votes: 276 21.8%
  • Roy

Votes: 13 1.0%

• Total voters

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Wow 4 votes for Pichu...

The cult tiers are very accurate.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
before i vote, ive got a question.
is this overall in matches, or does this count for how they talk (if they do).
try concentrating with a kirby saying Hiiiiiiiiii! Hiiiiiiiiii!

anyways......
fox and falco (isnt that some guy here on SWF?) are annoying; infinites and SHL.

Dibs

Smash Lord
Marth with a c-stick.... somehow the stick always leans left or right.

And shiek.. oh shiek... probably one of the easiest characters to play.

blitzer21

Smash Apprentice
CANADA! Got It Memorized? Join Blade Beamers!
Sheik and Samus
besides the fact that their names start with "s" i really cant stand them.

with sheik, well it might just be my friend but all he does (cuz I play with 2 other people) is wait for someone to get knocked off the edge and in he comes like a little, evil, ****ing camper rushing in to try and knock me off.

Samus, the bombs. no matter what i do bomb... bomb... bomb it is very annoying.

G U R U

Smash Lord
well this is what i usually tell people that are new to the game. Sheik is the easiest character to be good with... a n00b could pick her up and have a good shot at winning once he/she figures out the moveset. While Fox is prolly the cheapest character for experts... becuase of his shffls, shines, and upthrow/uair comboes. Peach is more annoying than cheap.

Zenith

Smash Ace
This may sound funny, but I voted Falco (looks at banner).
Simply because Falco's game relies on 3 attacks (SHL, dair, shine) but I use all the aerials, I grab and one my favorite moves is the usmash. I'v seen very few ppl use the usmash.

Edit: Oh yeah and don't forget about utilt spammers.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
To be honest, i'm going with Link in the hands of an expert. I got tired of playing with Fox even at the 9 difficulty because the computer seems to be getting easier and easier. So a few days ago i was browsing through the web and i'm reading this strat guide over Link. I pick up the controller and started to play with him and to my surprise, i completely oblitirated the AI with him(boomerang does about 17 damage by itself, also; grab opponent, throw them against the ground, quickly do Up B*spin*). The dude also has two smashes just in case you miss the first one. In sudden death, all you have to do is shoot arrows and opponents go flying. His range with the grapple move is even better than Samus'. Not much to cover on the little bombs, eventhough their damage is decent. Overall in my opnion, Link wins it when it comes to cheapest character. 2nd would be Fox. If you need a little more convincing try the AI on 9 against him one on one. Then go to super sudden death and go one on one. Time set 3 minutes.

Sudai

Stuff here
WTF are you all talking about? They all cost me a one time payment of $49.99!!

I'd honnestly have to say a perfect Fox is the cheapest cause he's litterally untouchable...but no one's perfect so iunno.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Sudai said:
WTF are you all talking about? They all cost me a one time payment of $49.99!!

I'd honnestly have to say a perfect Fox is the cheapest cause he's litterally untouchable...but no one's perfect so iunno.
Yeah, the thing is his whole game revolves around his kicks/reflect/then smash. A nice tip is grab, throw down/reflect.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Soanevalck said:
actually, grab, throw down, usmash is much better then reflect
In a sense of damage, very true. But i stopped playing the game on normal a long time ago. And that tactic started getting old against the AI on hard mode. Reflect works better for me. Against human players however, usmash after throw-down works better than reflect.

Ebon's >>>}}}}}O>

Smash Rookie
i say jiggly bc her rest is like instant death if you get caught not paying attention for 1 sec which can cost you the game

Player00

Smash Journeyman
Wait, people are actually choosing Fox? Lmao, Fox is the hardest character in the game to play, how can he possibly be the cheapest character?

And anybody who didn't choose Peach has no idea what he/she is talking about. Sheik isn't as cheap as people say, she isn't even on the same scale as Peach. Peach is the only character I would consider cheap, although as Ice Climber players start to discover more cheap grab combos, I am starting to think they might be getting a little cheap. I've always shyed away from the Ice Climbers, because I feel that their grab game might come to a point that they are banned in MLG because of inescapable combos. There is so much more to learn about the Ice Climbers, and I don't want my main character banned anytime soon...

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i hate sheik shes soooooooooooo cheap and gay.

along with her chain throws and every-move-combos-the-crap-out-of-everyone-no-matter-what.

and i kinda have a grudge against fox's shine, it kills my falcon so quickly --;;

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Aiser said:
wtf? who said link? how the heck is link cheap?!
Commercial voice : Are you an expert with Link? If you are, you might suffer from a common side effect called any grapple+up B and forward smash x2. You might be one of the many expert link players who makes others want to smash you with their GC controller. :lick:

Oh and Player00, i fnally see the problem with facing the Ice Climbers with legit MLG rules. But I doubt they'd ban the Ice Climbers since they too are part of the game and how it is played.

Adrian Monjula

Smash Rookie
Army, I think by 'cheap' they mean something along the lines of 'who is a cheating character?'

Now, as my main is Marth, I have to say anyone with ranged attacks (Falco, I'll kill you yet.)

As my second main being link, anyone fast (Fox, you're on my hit list...)

And as my third main being non-existant...Rawr.

Legomaxx

Smash Journeyman
Even though i agree with Sheik, Peach, and Marth (even though i use him) as being "cheap", i am voting for Falco because he wins for the annoying category...**** spike, lasers, but especially that f-smash.

Andrian you got the right idea seeing as how we both use the same chars.

Aiser

Smash Lord
XZero BeatX said:
Commercial voice : Are you an expert with Link? If you are, you might suffer from a common side effect called any grapple+up B and forward smash x2. You might be one of the many expert link players who makes others want to smash you with their GC controller. :lick:
Link is the most easiest combo'd character in the game, he's on the slow side and frankly counter pick a link proporly he's screwed. Peach is far cheaper then link is...<_<

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Aiser said:
Link is the most easiest combo'd character in the game, he's on the slow side and frankly counter pick a link proporly he's screwed. Peach is far cheaper then link is...<_<
Have you ever taken the time to see Link's attacks and the damage they do?

Aiser

Smash Lord
^ Considering he's my main, yes I do. he is so easily combo'd its not funny, waveshine eats him up, he's easy to chain grab. a ganon on FoD eats link up badly. frankly I can't see how link is cheap, he's balanced.

Mario_Vega

Smash Cadet
this was harrddd

for me its between shiek and link, cuz sheik u can button mash like crazy and still do really well, but with link if u play someone whos an up b junkie its completely annoying

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
XZero BeatX said:
Have you ever taken the time to see Link's attacks and the damage they do?
Yes, and I have also noticed the lag, start-up time, and overall slowness of Link's movements. If cheapness were based on damage done by attacks the Ganondorf and the Ice Climbers would be the cheapest hands down. Links powerful attacks are not the easiest to hit with, and are very punishable if missed (dair,fsmash, up b). Up B is a powerful edgeguarding tool, but I wouldn't say it's cheap.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Mario_Vega said:
for me its between shiek and link, cuz sheik u can button mash like crazy and still do really well, but with link if u play someone whos an up b junkie its completely annoying
I can't speak for most links but I think its safe to say, Up - b isn't on the top of their spamable moves list. its easilly punished if missed..>_>

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I believe in the theory that there are no cheap moves, only cheap characters. I've seen players with Fox that don't try and shinespike, Marth players that use a plethora of moves other than f smash, and Peach's with many interesting strategies other than d smash/turnip. People that have to use cheap ways to kill you at under 30% aren't good; anyone can press down or forward on the c-stick, a lot of people can shine, (tailwhipping is for suckers).
By the way, who said Luigi is cheap? You're entitled to your opinion, but I would like to know why you feel the way you do.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Link's my vote. Yeah, the other characters ARE cheap, but I can deal with them. It's that **** Spin Attack!!! His power is just too high...and his speed isn't that hard to deal with if you're experienced.

Maybe it's because my 3 mains are a bad choice against ye olde' Link?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
HyperFalcon said:
Link's my vote. Yeah, the other characters ARE cheap, but I can deal with them. It's that **** Spin Attack!!! His power is just too high...and his speed isn't that hard to deal with if you're experienced.

Maybe it's because my 3 mains are a bad choice against ye olde' Link?
His stupid *** range with the "scorpion looking harpoon".

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
XZero BeatX said:
His stupid *** range with the "scorpion looking harpoon".
Sorry, guys, but I have to disagree with you on Link. I'm mainly a Link user, and I always find it hard to win with Link; the fact is that he's balanced.

The Hookshot->Up-B move works against intermediate-noob players, but anyone with expert experience will learn how to either DI or jump away from that attack. I frequently go up against a Dr. Mario that will always avoid the Up-B attack in that combo AT 0%!!! It works against fast-fallers, like Fox or Ganondorf, but I usually go with Link's Up-Tilt to lay some extra damage on my opponent - Up- B will miss, and for some unexplained reason, his Up-Smash will also mostly miss.

His grab, while having great range, has so much lag, it's not even funny. If i miss with it, i can expect a smash or aerial coming my way, and I can't do anything about it. His double smash, while powerful if you hit with both, is still pretty weak, mainly because the first smash is weak, while the second smash (while almost twice as powerful) is usually avoided, because most players are smart enough to know it's coming after the first.

His d-air may be considered cheap, but remember that if he misses with it, i'm still wide open to counterattack, even with L-canceling against an expert.

Bottom line, Link is powerful, but he's offset by major lag time, and the fact that he's way less maneuverable than the other characters, like Fox and Marth. In essense, he's balanced. If I were to pick a cheap character, i'd say either Sheik or Samus. Sheik, mainly because of his nonexistent learning curb for noobs, his ease in comboing, and his f-air, and Samus, because noobs can sit back while the experts duke it out while charging his shot, firing his shot into the crowd, then claiming they're good because they ko-d an expert in that manner. His Down-B is also pretty cheap, but it's the mark of a smart Samus user.

Top Bottom