• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - How satisifed with the current Roster are you? Pre-E3, 5/16

How satisfied are you with the current roster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JediLink

Smash Ace
Considering we already have Mega Man, I really don't feel entitled to complain about the newcomers. Needs moar Ridley tho.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Sheik and Zard are both in the game and now their own characters.

I like every newcomer revealed thus far (still a little "meh" with Greninja personally but his inclusion makes sense).

10/10 from me... Can't wait to see the rest of the roster.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So far I'd give it a 6/10 because of Rosalina, needs Ridley and K.Rool to be 10/10.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to keep this poll open until E3, then open another to gauge the opinion then.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I voted it's ok, but it's leaning on the bad side.

None of the newcomers offend me or anything like that, but I feel general apathy towards Megaman, Rosaluma, Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer in terms of their addition to the roster. Little Mac made me slightly happy because I felt he deserved a slot despite me never having played a Punch Out game.

Villager is the only addition I was really happy to see, even though Tom Nook was who I was expecting....having an ac rep is great regardless.

I haven't had my "Oh snap! *big grin*" character reveal yet.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Voted "It's okay, but leaning on the bad side."

Mega Man and Little Mac are the only newcomer so far that I feet wholly deserved inclusion, but I mostly wanted them for the happiness of others, and not myself. Villager is my personal favorite so far, but I think Tom Nook would've been a better choice, and Villager's playstyle doesn't seem very coherent. I'm pretty much apathetic about Rosalina; her playstyle is great but there were at least 3 Mario characters I would've preferred over her. I outright dislike WFT and Greninja. So far, there's no newcomer that appeals to me at a personal level. We'd need K. Rool or Pac-Man for that to happen at this point.

Concerning veterans, we've still yet to see most of my favorites: Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Game & Watch, and ROB, as well as fan-favorites like Meta Knight, Falco, Wolf, Wario, Ike, Ness, and the like. The fact that we almost certainly lost Squirtle and Ivysaur (as well as the Trainer, my main and in my opinion the most rational Pokémon character that has even been in Smash) doesn't do wonders for me either.

Overall, the roster has largely been a tug-of-war for me, going back and forth between great additions and ones that leave me underwhelmed. I'm still waiting on that one newcomer that will really appeal to me at a personal level.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Honestly the poll results are mostly going to boil down to "is my most wanted character in the game or not?"

Unlike most on this forum there's not a single character that I feel absolutely NEEDS to be in... Sure there's some I'd LIKE to be included, but overall it won't effect my enjoyment of this game. My enjoyment comes from the gameplay.

I think people need to look at topics like these more objectively and stop saying silly things like "no this roster sux cuz (insert your most wanted character here) isn't on it."

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm pretty happy with who all they have added so far.

Villager- A character that I was a big supporter of long ago (circa 2006) but was told it was stupid and that Tom Nook had a 500,000% greater chance of being playable. This being said, I'm glad Sakurai got over the "nonfighter" notion he had about Animal Crossing characters and let him in. I love the fact that the character's moveset is so playful and that the more powerful attacks are either "accidents" and simply chores you can do in the games. Being able to decide to play as a boy or girl, complete with different clothes and hairstyles is also a really nice touch and I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up making Villager one of my mains.

Megaman- So long overdue and, like many people here, I was floored when he wasn't in Brawl. Behind Geno, he's been my most wanted character in Smash game since 2001. His moveset is pretty much everything a Megaman fan could ask for and his final smash is so brilliantly perfect that it makes his addition all the sweeter. I'm glad that the most deserving third party character finally got his dues.

Wii Fit Trainer- I admit, I was shocked when I first saw her. Like thousands of others, I was scrambling from site to site to figure out if she was an assist trophy or a playable character because people were saying different things. The Smash fanbase got trolled hard that day and most people decided to either play it off as a hilarious new addition or a hair pullingly bad addition. I'm glad I chose the former because she has turned out to be a brilliant character overall. Virtually nobody wanted her but it just gives further testament that, if Sakurai wants to, he can make anyone work in Smash.

Rosalina- She was a hype killer for me... for about a week and then I got over it. As far as Mario additions go, I feel that she cut in line but her incredibly unique playstyle has largely made up for it. She was one of those characters that was largely popular only in casual crowds so I readily dismissed her chances but, as it goes to show, nobody should be completely ruled out until an official confirmation.

Little Mac- Like Sakurai said "feels so good." Just about everyone and their grandma wanted him and Sakurai definitely delivered. For someone who attacks only with punches, his moveset is incredibly satisfying. My only concern is his obviously terrible recovery. I'd hate for him to wind up like Link and Ike in Brawl and have his almost nonexistent off stage game knock him down a few tier levels.

Greninja- I'm probably one of five people on the planet who has yet to play Pokemon X or Y but I decided a long time ago (as in last January) that Froakie was going to be my starter so I'm pleased as punch that Greninja became the most popular final evolved starter this generation. I think we all figured that a sixth gen pokemon was going to make the cut but everyone thought it was going to be exclusively Mewtwo (who I still think has an incredibly high chance of getting in) so I consider him a surprise and, like Villager and Rosalina, somebody that most people ruled out. His moveset looks like a lot of fun and how, despite also being a ninja, his moveset is a lot different from Sheik's. This was another character that I wasn't expecting but I'm glad they made the cut.

Of my top three most wanted characters for this game (Megaman, Little Mac, and Takamaru), two of them have already made the cut so I'm largely satisfied with who all they have added so far. I do, however, think this is just the beginning. If this were all the newcomers, it would be disappointing as it could be argued only two of the newcomers so far were ones tons of people wanted. I am happy though that, from what we've seen so far, Sakurai has really gone all out with his creativity and I look forward to seeing what he does with all the other new additions.

D

Deleted member

Ehh... it's alright. I outright hate one newcomer (Rosalina) and just don't care about another (Wii Fit Trainer), though the others are pretty solid. I'm just hoping for characters like Shulk and King K. Rool would appear on the roster.
I'm also waiting for veterans like Ness, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, Meta Knight, and Wario to make their appearance soon.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Honestly the poll results are mostly going to boil down to "is my most wanted character in the game or not?"

Unlike most on this forum there's not a single character that I feel absolutely NEEDS to be in... Sure there's some I'd LIKE to be included, but overall it won't effect my enjoyment of this game. My enjoyment comes from the gameplay.

I think people need to look at topics like these more objectively and stop saying silly things like "no this roster sux cuz (insert your most wanted character here) isn't on it."
This topic is about the roster though, the gameplay isn't a factor in this poll. The poll is very clearly asking how satisfied we are with the current roster and nothing more.

It might be shocking to learn that people care about the characters included in a franchise crossover game celebrating all of Nintendo.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
This topic is about the roster though, the gameplay isn't a factor in this poll. The poll is very clearly asking how satisfied we are with the current roster and nothing more.
Where did I ever say gameplay should be a factor. I was just stating why it isn't a factor for me.

It might be shocking to learn that people care about the characters included in a franchise crossover game celebrating all of Nintendo.
Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I never said people shouldn't care.

It's just extremely short sighted to have one character make or break the game for you (which is the attitude held by many here). There will most likely be over 45 characters on the roster this time around. There's a good chance you'll find at least 1 you enjoy playing as.

Plus people can throw a temper tantrum all they want. 99% of you are still getting the game regardless of what the final roster looks like.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Where did I ever say gameplay should be a factor. I was just stating why it isn't a factor for me.

Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I never said people shouldn't care.

It's just extremely short sighted to have one character make or break the game for you (which is the attitude held by many here). There will most likely be over 45 characters on the roster this time around. There's a good chance you'll find at least 1 you enjoy playing as.

Plus people can throw a temper tantrum all they want. 99% of you are still getting the game regardless of what the final roster looks like.
I see, I guess I got the wrong impression. I thought you were giving out to people for caring about characters, that only gameplay mattered.

Of course I'll play the game happily regardless of whether my favourite characters get in or not. It'll just be the slight difference between being a brilliant game and being a brilliant game "and then some!".

Dott

Smash Ace
I like the newcomers, but i would like to see more brawl cut and more newcomers, six it's a extremely small number for me.

I'm just saiying i would like to see in the E3 something like, "BANG, 10 NEWCOMERS"

Last edited:

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
Marth and Roy were all the rage in Melee. Zelda, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Peach, and Bowser were great.
Pit and Zero Suit Samus were really exciting in Brawl, Metaknight and Ike were pretty cool, and I am the only person that didn't like Snake.
This time around, I'm only mildly interested in Wii Fit Trainer. I'm mostly indifferent to the newcomers.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
So far, 8/10. The Newcomers are great and all, especially Villager and Greninja, but Mega Man was a slight downer for me.

I'm pleased that transformations have been removed, as I adore Sheik and Charizard, and Zamus.

To get a 10/10, I need to see at least two of these characters: Ike, Roy, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Falco, Snake, Ness, Lucas, Meta Knight, Captain Falcon, Palutena, Shulk, Bandana Dee, Ridley, and Ganondorf. Oh, and Cloud Strife. *killed brutally*

But over all, even if none of those characters got in, which is quite unlikely, I'd still buy the game.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So far it's amazing because Waluigi isn't in it and Tingle and Ghirahim haven't been confirmed.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I'm pretty satisfied with the current roster, but that's because I know it's not the final roster. We won't know what that'll be until this summer, when we get the game in our hands. For me, if this were the Final Roster, I'd be happy (it's a Smash game, after all), but feel like there is a lot missing...

1. The rest of the original vets (Ness, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon)
2. The rest of the Melee vets (Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Ganondorf, Falco)
3. The rest of the Brawl vets (Wario, Meta Knight, Lucas, Ike, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wolf, R.O.B.)
4. Snake
5. The Melee Five (Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, Roy)
6. Pokémon Trainer (would technically be a new character due to transformations being axed, but I still consider him a vet)
7. Not having any more newcomers.

Those would make me kinda sad, but a lot of them are very unlikely.

andimidna

Smash Master
^Yea, if Waluigi and Tingle had made it I'd be giving this a very low score, however:
Very. I love the newcomers! 9.5/10 (will be 10 once there is Palutena, but will go back down if there is Mii)

Rosalina is my favorite. Favorite of the movesets, and favorite of the characters. I had been a big supporter of her long before 3D World, and I couldn't have been more happy with Sakurai's decision there.
Little Mac seriously just needed to be in the game. I don't care if he's a bit boring, he simply needs to be there. Honestly, if I was Sakurai, I would have put him in SSB64.
Greninja I was very surprised by, but I had him in my signature as a supporter just for the concept of a Kalos Trainer that I thought had no chance, but wanted. And seeing him there was an amazing surprise and I like his moveset.
Wiii Fit Trainer was an even bigger surprise and I still am mad at myself for not thinking of her. I mean, I played Wii Fit a pretty good amount a few years ago, and it sold so well... it feels weird to say it, but she makes a lot of sense. And I love how one of her moves is deep breathing, that's hilarious.
Mega Man is another character that just needed to be in the game because he had been one of the most requested characters for a long time. And his moveset is much better than the rest in terms of diverse canon moves that he actually takes from his games.
Villager also makes a lot of sense, and is another character I find hilarious, and his moveset isn't lacking anything I hoped to see. A very well-done character that wasn't risky or something like that, not much more to say.

I think they're all very positive additions.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm honestly slightly above feeling meh about the roster overall (or a 6.5/10 to be more accurate). I don't really hate it, but the roster doesn't really have any "YES!" moments for me yet either. My opinion will ultimately become more or less concrete once I find out what E3 brings.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Seems okay right now.
My favorite addition so far is the Wii Fit Trainer, and I also like all the changes they've made to the veterans revealed so far.

That said, I'm still waiting for any of my wanted characters to hopefully be confirmed; I'd be pretty down if none of them made it in.
As Snagret said, it doesn't have any character that calls out to me just yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm fine with the way it is now, but I definitely think it would be underwhelming if we had only 6 newcomers (although I doubt this is true). Overall, I'm most excited for Rosalina, The Villager, and Megaman. The one I want the most would far and away be Ridley though (if he gets in).

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Warning Received
if sal leak is the final roster then I going to hate the roster
Oh I know, I hate newcomers. I wish the game were just Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu. Or better yet just clones; diverse originality has no place in Smash Bros.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I like all the newcomers to be honest.

Of course, people will always want someone added to the roster.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
It's got Megaman, so I don't care if they put in Barney the Dinosaur, I'll still be happy. Just need Ness and Lucas Sakurai.

Mark Helsing

Smash Rookie
Since I always main as female characters, Brawl offered me nothing new in terms of characters to play as, so the fact that they already revealed Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, and Girl Villager, plus made Zero Suit her own character, makes me extatic already. I'm good.

It's odd for me to comment on the roster because Brawl's roster added every character I personally "needed" in Smash, so getting irritated by Smash 4's roster feels a bit silly. That said the roster so far is a bit disappointing. Little Mac and Greninja are the only Nintendo newcomers that that really feel like fighters. What I mean by that is they're characters everyone wanted to see because of the cool moves and unique powers they have. Villager, Rosalina, and Wii Fit are interesting characters and I am happy they're in (especially Villager) but they aren't characters everyone wanted to see because of their fighting potential and abilities; it had more to do how they would fight as characters who...well...don't. If the roster is heading more in this direction (quirky non-fighters instead of characters with fighting abilities) I will be really disappointed.

I actually enjoy these types of character in fighting games, and they're the ones I usually go for in fighting games, but as the latest and greatest characters in Smash they just aren't that exciting. I'm hoping we're getting the "for fun" characters out of the way to save the meatier entries for launch or as hidden characters.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
What about Pit? He didn't use dual swords and laser arrows in his original game, but that didn't stop him from being a cool character.

Things don't always have to match up with their games 100%.
Because Pit almost literally had nothing besides the Three Sacred Treasures, which his B, ^B and vB were based on. (Which has since been retcon'd, but whateves.) Little Mac had his playstyle lain out before him and Sakurai botched it.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
Considering Wario, Meta-Knight, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, and Ness are practically confirmed indirectly, I'd say very satisfied. All of the newcomers are unique and mostly warranted(even if I would have never chosen some of them), while having great play-styles. Most of my favorite veterans are confirmed or implied indirectly and were only going to get more on top of that. I've already had one personal freak out moment(Little Mac) and 3/5 of my wishlist for this game is completed(with Mewtwo being very likely as well, K.Rool is too hard to judge 50/50 at best.) I'm sure we will also get Ganondorf, Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B, at least one more Pokemon vet and at least one more space animal, which would please most people as far as veterans go. Pac-Man and Paultena are as much of a shoo-in as can be and both make me very excited.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Considering Wario, Meta-Knight, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, and Ness are practically confirmed indirectly, I'd say very satisfied. All of the newcomers are unique and mostly warranted(even if I would have never chosen some of them), while having great play-styles. Most of my favorite veterans are confirmed or implied indirectly and were only going to get more on top of that. I've already had one personal freak out moment(Little Mac) and 3/5 of my wishlist for this game is completed(with Mewtwo being very likely as well, K.Rool is too hard to judge 50/50 at best.) I'm sure we will also get Ganondorf, Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B, at least one more Pokemon vet and at least one more space animal, which would please most people as far as veterans go. Pac-Man and Paultena are as much of a shoo-in as can be and both make me very excited.
I'm not completely certain that Mewtwo and/or ROB is coming back, but Ganondorf and Game and Watch have a higher chance.

Palutena might be an assist trophy at most (That's just my opinion).

I'm also about 96.341% sure that Pac-Man has absolutely no chance of getting into SSB4.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm not completely certain that Mewtwo and/or ROB is coming back, but Ganondorf and Game and Watch have a higher chance.

Palutena might be an assist trophy at most (That's just my opinion).

I'm also about 96.341% sure that Pac-Man has absolutely no chance of getting into SSB4.
Thought I'd share that ATs don't get outlines.

I still don't believe in the pic though.
That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
It's pretty kewl with MEga Man and Little Mac. But the following is my remaining wishlist.

Veterans: Ike, Snake, Mewtwo, and Wolf
Newcomers: Ridley, a second Ridley, Maybe K. Rool, and Paper Mario

If all this is confirmed, Hype is through the roof and over the moon and off to hyperspace. Basically any other vet or newcomer I want is basically confirmed from having no reason to cut the vet or leaks in favor of the newcomers/Is Chrom.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Eh. Pretty satisfied with the current roster but if the Gematsu leak is completely true and those are the only newcomers we get, I'll be disappointed. I really don't want to see Pacman or Mii's in the game, the rest aren't so bad, but any of the characters that would actually increase my hype for the game have already been announced. Barring Mewtwo and a drastically reworked Ganondorf. I believe we'll get a few more surprises down the road however so I'm not worried.

Top Bottom