• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - How satisifed with the current Roster are you? Pre-E3, 5/16

How satisfied are you with the current roster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Great roster so far. I mean, I hated WFT at first, but now she's my third favorite addition so far (because I'm a massive fit freak myself :p). I guess now the roster needs Mewtwo and another good WTF character and in satisfied. There's nothing that can particularly ruin the roster for me at this point (sans Mii...)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Great roster so far. I mean, I hated WFT at first, but now she's my third favorite addition so far (because I'm a massive fit freak myself :p). I guess now the roster needs Mewtwo and another good WTF character and in satisfied. There's nothing that can particularly ruin the roster for me at this point (sans Mii...)
I thought the world had ended when WFT was revealed. Sakurai had gone off the deep end... but then he proved he was a genius. :laugh:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
As far as the newcomers are concerned, I have found the roster to be quite interesting thus far. All of the newcomers seem to have unique and intriguing playstyles. Some of the newcomers, I would have loved to see appear, but was not counting on it happening (e.g. Rosalina, Greninja).

As for the veterans, I really love the changes made to all of them, especially Pit.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with the roster thus far. Truth be told, I was not expecting to get as many newcomers as we have thus far. Heck, when Brawl came out, I was SHOCKED to learn than there were over 30 characters; I, for one, was not expecting the roster to be that massive.

Even if Isaac, mine absolute most-wanted newcomer, does not make it in, ultimately I will still be satisfied with the roster. Because in the end, I always find the character that is best for me, gameplay-wise.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm loving it so far. Brawl's was awesome as is, and I think it's approaching Brawl levels of perfection.

Ignoring vets and Palutena (who I want but am sure will be in the game), it'd be perfect if:

-Snake returned (the only vet who I am uneasy about, but he is one of my favourite characters)
-Professor Layton was added
-Some obscure character I don't know anything about is added that has a very unique moveset, and possibly gets me interested in their origins (Pit was this in Brawl - bonus points if they get a game)

And it will be beyond perfect if Reggie Fils-Aime/Reggie Fils-A-Mech is in it.

In terms of what we already have, I'm satisfied. I was really happy to see Sonic confirmed to return, and the prospect of him being a possible constant in the series makes me happy. Mega Man and Rosalina, especially Rosalina, were two characters I was dying to see in Smash (and I could write an essay on how Rosalina excited me and how I think she more than deserved it, I've wanted her since the Brawl days - I was also kinda worried she'd only make Assist Trophy since it's rumoured she was intended to be one in Brawl, but was replaced by Gardevoir as a Pokémon). Little Mac is not one I personally was attached to, but had an interest in seeing in the game, and I'm really happy with how they handled his moveset (and his trailer, his trailer was great). Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are fun and quirky additions, and a good reminder that not every character has to be serious, old, or a badass. Greninja is one I am indifferent too. He didn't excite me, and he seems to be the least interesting one moveset wise so far. I'm fine with him being there, though I think he would have made more sense as a hidden character, rather than announcing him at the end of the Smash Direct.

D

Deleted member

I'm loving the roster so far, WFT is the one I most dislike, but I still like her, the only addition I'm waiting is Ridley and I'll be good with whatever comes after him

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
While I never really had a "main," so to speak, all the characters I played as the most in Brawl are present and accounted for. Peach, Toon Link, Pit, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong and Kirby. Throw Mega Man and Little Mac, two of my most anticipated newcomers and I'd honestly buy the game as is.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Pretty satisfied. Mainly because I got my absolute most wanted (Mega Man) and another of my top 5, Little Mac. The rest though? Absolute indifference toward all of them. In the unlikely event we get both K. Rool and Mewtwo, then I'll be 100% satisfied no matter what.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I dunno if I can vote in any of those options... I can't say I'm loving the current roster;.. but I can't say that I'm unsatisfied... I mean, I was a Little Mac supporter, and I jumped of happiness when he got confirmed, .. but this reaction was only with him, though. .. Mega Man was an awesome addition too, but I never cared in support him to be in the game.. since I thought that would be pretty impossible to have him in Smash somehow (which makes his inclusion even more amazing)... I care more for the diversity of the roster than for the characters in fact; of course I have my personal favorite characters that I'd love to see getting in the game (waka waka XD), but pleases me more to see an homogeneous roster and a very well polished game... and this Smash4 is already reaching... We got Greninja which is a pretty recent character, Animal Crossing representation, Wii Fit (is freaking amazing) among others little touches that makes the difference... as DK getting his roll attack; and more potentially is comming (could you imagine, Rhythm Heaven having its own playable characters in Smash?! 8D)

but I find pretty hard to reply a question only about the roster (characters).. I think it's not a thing too much relevant to me at this point, since Nintendo already sold this game for me since the very beggining, with the E3 presentation that already showed a pretty good game. I wouldn't even get mad if my favorite characters doesn't make in the roster (just a bit disappointed), since what I all care is a good game.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Assuming all or nearly all the Brawl veterans come back (besides Pokemon Trainer, and by extension, Squirtle and *sniff* Ivysaur...), I'd be fine with no other newcomers at all, or maybe just one more. Ideally, I'd like to get Mewtwo back, too. Any other newcomers would just be icing on the cake.

Honestly, I don't want the roster to get too bloated. I feel like, whatever number they arrive at this time, they ought to remain more or less at that number from now on. Go ahead and cut some vets in Smash 5 if you have to. If the roster gets too stupidly huge, it's likely to get very lopsided. 50 characters is probably too big.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I can punch Wii Fiit Trainer in the face with a Luma.

Seems okay to me.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
The roster is fine so far, not particularly thrilled by any of the newcomers but they bring diversity and innovative movesets and that's always good.
I hope they're saving the best for last.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I think the roster is pretty good so far, but it will depend on what the other newcomers are. If the Sal leak is really all the rest of the newcomers, I would be slightly disappointed in the final roster, but I'm sure I'd get over it once I play the game. I just want at least one of Ridley, K. Rool, Ray, and Advance Wars character, and Mewtwo, although I'd be pretty excited for Palutena or Hades and Robin (Chrom is ok, but he's not my favorite FE lord, so I'd rather see Robin for a very different moveset than past FE characters).

For the currently confirmed newcomers:
I'm very excited for Mega Man since I thought he'd have been a cool Brawl addition too once Third Parties were confirmed. I also wanted Animal Crossing to get playable representation, so Villager is great for me as well. I didn't realize I wanted Rosalina or Greninja until they were revealed, but I'm excited for what Sakurai did with them.

On the other hand, I'm still pretty neutral towards Wii Fit and Little Mac. Maybe I'll like them after playing them, but they weren't high on my wishlist (or even on it) and they didn't quite catch my attention enough to make me excited to try them.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Great roster, but it all depends on what veterans return. If R.O.B. or Wolf get cut just because they were the lesser known characters, even if they were unique I would be disappointed. Especially when Toon Link is back.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
For me, I'm ok with the roster now but I'm really hyped to see hte newcomers. The one that was really hyped was mega man but it's not someone I particularly wanted. What will happen with ridley and king k rool but for me I'm mainly wondering what will happen with the representation of my most wanted, Paper Mario. I just feel like they keep the most exciting at the end so I'm really wondering who will be there despite finding the current roster pretty good.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I don't really care much about newcomers but I'm hoping for Chrom.

I'm more concerned about veterans tbh. While it's likely that Captain Falcon and Falco will return, I just want confirmation so I have peace of mind.

Besides that, for me, every character reveal is just another reason to get hyped, regardless of who it is.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I'm still waiting for the newcomer that hypes me. And Im not even sure who could it be (K. Rool and Krystal look promising, and Ridley would make me rofl so hard I would have to main immediately).
In Brawl I was hyped for Sonic. But I don´t think any of his friends would be interesting for me (especially Shadow, that edgy rodent).
If anything I love the new Bowser.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I'm pretty stoked!

Newcomers
Although only one character from my wishlist has made it so far (the super fighting robot Mega Man), he was my number one request and even if no one else I want shows up, I'll be happy (especially with how awesome he is shaping up to be). That said, the other newcomers all look promising. I am especially entertained by Wii Fit Trainer, as I used Wii Fit as part of an exercise regiment for a while, so I spent a lot with the trainers. Little Mac looks pretty beastly and fun to play as too. An even though i know nothing about Greninja, as I have not played X or Y yet, I am absolutely sold on the "Ninja Frog" concept.

Veterans
I like all the changes to the characters so far, both in terms of visuals and play style. I am really looking forward to playing as the new and improved Pit and Bowser. I actually want to give characters I usually dislike playing a second chance *coughFoxcough*. My only disappointment so far is the loss of Pokemon Trainer (even if Squirtle and Ivysaur come back, I will miss playing as all three at once). Also, where are the Ice Climbers? C'mon Sakurai...don't leave me in suspense here...

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think the newcomers are okay. I still need something BIG (Ridley not intended but would fit that criteria) to make me happy. Paper Mario, a Roy return, or K Rool or Dixie... One of those four, to get me newcomer-excited.

Nothing had me more stoked for Brawl than Pokemon Trainer, now it's just a fond memory that is now causing me personal pain and anguish. If he confirms Ivysaur as playable, though, I'll be 100% with this game's roster.

Edit: Since I'm now (quite) addicted to FE:A I definitely would like to see Chrom in the roster. That would increase my hype levels quite a bit.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm pretty stoked!

Newcomers
Although only one character from my wishlist has made it so far (the super fighting robot Mega Man), he was my number one request and even if no one else I want shows up, I'll be happy (especially with how awesome he is shaping up to be). That said, the other newcomers all look promising. I am especially entertained by Wii Fit Trainer, as I used Wii Fit as part of an exercise regiment for a while, so I spent a lot with the trainers. Little Mac looks pretty beastly and fun to play as too. An even though i know nothing about Greninja, as I have not played X or Y yet, I am absolutely sold on the "Ninja Frog" concept.

Veterans
I like all the changes to the characters so far, both in terms of visuals and play style. I am really looking forward to playing as the new and improved Pit and Bowser. I actually want to give characters I usually dislike playing a second chance *coughFoxcough*. My only disappointment so far is the loss of Pokemon Trainer (even if Squirtle and Ivysaur come back, I will miss playing as all three at once). Also, where are the Ice Climbers? C'mon Sakurai...don't leave me in suspense here...
I don't think you have to worry about the Ice Climbers with the polar bear in Smash Run.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
+ Megaman (I actually got into the original Mega Man games because of him and his moveset looks so interesting being all drawn from games)
+ Villager (Animal crossing deserved a rep but I'm mostly am fond of this character because of his "personality")

+/- Little Mac (A character I expected but not one I care about that much. His inclusion was deserved but I never played Punch Out)

- Rosalina (I would've mush rather seen Toad or Bowser Junior. She may be unique but I have zero interest in her)
- WFT (I just can't bring myself to care about her even if her series was extremely popular...she isn't)
- Greninja (Even though he was the pokemon I chose in XY, he just seems so much less iconic when he has no major roles)

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Though there's always negative, I was encouraged by the mostly positive attitudes towards newcomers in this thread, and the Poll surprised me! :) Sounds like most people are happy, and are just hoping for a little more, not being greedy fan boys! I'm all for that! (I just realized this might sound like sarcasm, but I'm being serious)

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Though there's always negative, I was encouraged by the mostly positive attitudes towards newcomers in this thread, and the Poll surprised me! :) Sounds like most people are happy, and are just hoping for a little more, not being greedy fan boys! I'm all for that! (I just realized this might sound like sarcasm, but I'm being serious)
I agree. I expected everyone to be like, NO RIDLEY NO BUY, but I've seen some pretty good responses.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
The roster so far is great. Just add those we know who are gonna be in (Ness, C.Falcon, Jiggs, Falco[?], Meta Knight, Wario), who are probably unlockable, and maybe 2 newcomers (Palutena, Chrom), and I'd be happy. Like I don't really even care about size. The current roster is great.

Only regrets are: no Dillon, and Charizard instead of Squirtle/Bulbasaur.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
they still have hope there more then the sal leak

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Seeing that I'm coming to this game with virtually no attachments, I'm pretty satisfied by the roster. Ideally, I would like at least 40 characters but no more than 45.

Hong

The Strongest
It's more about who has appeared, versus who has not.

Toon Link and Olimar were both massive eyesores. Thankfully, Olimar got some much needed love. They have made his moves more interesting and refined his mechanics.

Toon Link was unfortunately spared no creativity. I love the idea of having another Link, since the character has a legacy of a myriad of ancient relics and fighting styles, and surely you could make several Links who all function completely different as characters. Regrettably, they decided to leave him as largely a statistical counterpart.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Toon Link was unfortunately spared no creativity. I love the idea of having another Link, since the character has a legacy of a myriad of ancient relics and fighting styles, and surely you could make several Links who all function completely different as characters. Regrettably, they decided to leave him as largely a statistical counterpart.
Agreed... So far I feel as though TL is the only real blemish on the roster.

If he's going to remain a semi-clone of Link then I would have preferred if he were cut, and this is coming from a big WW fan.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Very satisfied so far! Actually with every newcomer, I have never played the games they are in, except for Wii Fit. I only watched someone play Animal Crossing. I love being introduced to ones I have never heard before, Greninja in this case. I will be excited over any newcomer. I just love to see how they will play out with their move-sets and how they will match up against the veterans we all know and love. Every character also looks fantastic in HD. Are there newcomers I support over others? Of course, but if they don't make it in the game I am still very pleased with the roster we have. And almost all my veterans I wanted back in are in, mainly waiting on Ness and Lucas now.

Hong

The Strongest
Agreed... So far I feel as though TL is the only real blemish on the roster.

If he's going to remain a semi-clone of Link then I would have preferred if he were cut, and this is coming from a big WW fan.
Likewise. Wind Waker is my favourite of the 3d LoZ titles and I love the character, but I rather have had them put the precious development time elsewhere

Ryan.

Smash Lord
So far I also plan to main Villager. I just love everything about the character. Playing Wind Waker HD for Wii U also made me appreciate Toon Link more, so excited for him as well.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
If this was the final roster it would be decent but obviously won't satisfy me, but I think the final roster will be epic.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's half good, half meh. Mega Man, Little Mac and Villager are great additions, but Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina and Greninja are very iffy imo. I could stomach any of the last three if we had more star power on the roster, but we don't, no Ridley, K. Rool or Mewtwo yet. More bigshots, less whackos, or it won't even be comparable to the fantastic additions Brawl brought.

From a gameplay standpoint I'm only really interested in Mega Man and Greninja, and neither of them are main material for me by the looks of it.

Last edited:

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
It's pretty good so far, but I'm still waiting for Jigglypuff at the very least!

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
I'll let Capt. Falcon slide, but Little Mac? Yes, he should of been more faithful to his series.
So you basically want him to be a punching bag or the opposite reason as to why people play Smash? Also, his moveset makes sense and armor makes sense, if he was that small and that light, he would be such a bad character

Besides, Fighting games don't HAVE to follow their source material 100%, ex. Megaman in Marvel, not once does transform into a giant robot and nuke the screen

Top Bottom