• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - How satisifed with the current Roster are you? Pre-E3, 5/16

How satisfied are you with the current roster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So you basically want him to be a punching bag or the opposite reason as to why people play Smash? Also, his moveset makes sense and armor makes sense, if he was that small and that light, he would be such a bad character

Besides, Fighting games don't HAVE to follow their source material 100%, ex. Megaman in Marvel, not once does transform into a giant robot and nuke the screen
No, I expected him to be a fast character focused on playing keep-away and wearing down the opponent. And how in the world does the armor make sense? Glass Joe can punch through any of his attacks. That Megaman example is a special or something right? It's most certainly isn't a part of his basic fighting style.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
No, I expected him to be a fast character focused on playing keep-away and wearing down the opponent. And how in the world does the armor make sense? Glass Joe can punch through any of his attacks. That Megaman example is a special or something right? It's most certainly isn't a part of his basic fighting style.
Like I said, they can't always be 100% accurate because this is a fighting game, the character needs to be balanced because of that and we do need to remember, at this time, he literally has beaten everyone so he can take a few hits. Plus it makes sense because he is a boxer character, his moveset wouldn't be anything special if he didn't have the attributes that he has

In terms of looks aesthetics he may not be faithful but in terms of accuracy, it all makes sense

Besides, Smash isn't a keep away game all the time, and if your character is as bear bones as little mac is, he would get bodied. Besides we haven't gotten our hands on the game, so for all you know, he may be one to wear down his opponents

Edit: Also, in the point of Glass Joe, you also need to know that had to be done to make the game harder, If they were to fight, Glass Joe would not be able to even damage Mac so there is that

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Like I said, they can't always be 100% accurate because this is a fighting game, the character needs to be balanced because of that and we do need to remember, at this time, he literally has beaten everyone so he can take a few hits. Plus it makes sense because he is a boxer character, his moveset wouldn't be anything special if he didn't have the attributes that he has

In terms of looks aesthetics he may not be faithful but in terms of accuracy, it all makes sense

Besides, Smash isn't a keep away game all the time, and if your character is as bear bones as little mac is, he would get bodied. Besides we haven't gotten our hands on the game, so for all you know, he may be one to wear down his opponents

Edit: Also, in the point of Glass Joe, you also need to know that had to be done to make the game harder, If they were to fight, Glass Joe would not be able to even damage Mac so there is that
No. Shut up. Stop talking.

I want Samus to be able to flood the screen with 230 missiles within the very immediate seconds of combat. It's how Samus was meant to play.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I take it as them showing that Mac can take a hit as well as he can dish them out.

This was actually one of my favorite things about the remake. Through sheer force of will Mac would sometimes avoid going down despite how beat up/damaged he was, resulting in the above cutscene.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
No. Shut up. Stop talking.

I want Samus to be able to flood the screen with 230 missiles within the very immediate seconds of combat. It's how Samus was meant to play.
Lol, I agree totally! IDK what I was thinking!

edit: also please don't tell me 230 is the max missiles in Super Metroid.... please tell me its not

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
While I think Little Mac is a horribly bland character and that there is nothing unique about Villager, I'm still really hyped for this game thanks to Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer and, to a lesser extent, Greninja.

So I picked very satisfied. Seeing the confirmation of the Gematsu leak (read as: Chorus Men) will only amplify my hype as I wait for Palutena and Shulk.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

His moveset is still bare-bones with the gimmick. And not every character needs crazy gimmicks like Rosalina's Luma. There's plenty of 'standard' characters, and we don't have a character for wearing down opponents at close range. Would of been 1000 times better then this generic rushdown thing he has now.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
His moveset is still bare-bones with the gimmick. And not every character needs crazy gimmicks like Rosalina's Luma. There's plenty of 'standard' characters, and we don't have a character for wearing down opponents at close range. Would of been 1000 times better then this generic rushdown thing he has now.
Wearing people down is mainly what the game is about but in actual Boxing its that and Rushing people down and I would prefer that over a weak, badly designed character that people wait SO LONG FOR. Plus he does shrug off attack in the NEW Punch Out which is where he got his design from. He can get back up from a deadly hit and so far only his specials and smashes have armour, nothing else does

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Overall it's a mixed bag for me, but overall I'm neutral, and will have to say that my real opinion over the roster can wait until the full one is shown.

Probably the only newcomer that has been shown so far that I really care for is Villager. Villager was one of my picks in the end for Brawl, Animal Crossing has always been one of my favorite series (since it came out, that is lol), and Villager looks like a fun, unique character.

Little Mac is probably second for me. He comes from a series I have never played, but he looks like a fun character.

I can be excited for others with Mega Man, although I've never been into that series. The rest of the newcomers shown so far (Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, and Greninja) I could really do without, and they are the wildcards for my final opinion of the roster. If it comes out to be a small roster with more characters like them, they will be detrimental. However, if the roster comes out better in the end, then I can just let it go. But I have a nagging feeling they will be big wasted spots in the end, in my mind.

Last edited:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm happy with the roster. Lots of new changes to veterans, some very obvious tweaking of move sets going on, new final smashes, awesome new designs, transform characters getting their own character slots. I like everything that's going on. I'm excited to see what happens with the rest of the returning veterans.

I'm also very happy with the newcomers. Got two awesome old school additions of Megaman and Little Mac. Got one very unexpected addition of the Wii Fit Trainer. Not to mention the rest of the new characters all look interesting and cool. Some people griped about Rosalina. I see no issue with her in fact I think the whole marionette Luma thing is very cool. Greninja looks fun. The Villager will murder me in my sleep if I don't praise him up so all hail The Villager.

Long story short the more I see of this game the more I like it. I can't wait for E3.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Sahfarry said:
Just add those we know who are gonna be in (Ness, C.Falcon, Jiggs, Falco[?], Meta Knight, Wario), who are probably unlockable
The fact that you said you are confident enough the first 5 are in already makes me extremely happy. If only I had your level of faith (sorry I don't really care about Wario because I want those 5, and I get the feeling GnW and probably ICs and Ganon are also characters likely to be in, which puts the roster at 38 characters, dangerously close to the number that was in Brawl... and I remember something about Smash 4 having fewer characters : / I just hope I'm wrong...).

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
9/10 with Ike now I just need my two dicier vets (Wolf and Snake) and Ridley to be confirmed and 10/10 best games.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
The fact that you said you are confident enough the first 5 are in already makes me extremely happy. If only I had your level of faith (sorry I don't really care about Wario because I want those 5, and I get the feeling GnW and probably ICs and Ganon are also characters likely to be in, which puts the roster at 38 characters, dangerously close to the number that was in Brawl... and I remember something about Smash 4 having fewer characters : / I just hope I'm wrong...).
Never did Sakurai say there would be fewer characters. He actually said he wanted to get as many characters as possible. But he did say there will be fewer newcomers this time around.

So, you're good dude.

Thor

Smash Champion
NintendoKnigh said:
Never did Sakurai say there would be fewer characters. He actually said he wanted to get as many characters as possible. But he did say there will be fewer newcomers this time around.

So, you're good dude.

Probably overused, but I think it fits.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
So far I'm pretty disappointed. I mean, I still have Peach and Zelda but that's about it.

In Brawl I didn't even get one newcomer that I wanted, and apparently it's going to be the same thing for SSB4.

Megaman I like as a character, so he's fine. Wii Fit Trainer I'm neutral about. Obviously I like her trollish side, but she's not someone I would have picked. Greninja I honestly don't care about.

Villager, Little Mac and Rosalina : I basically hate them as characters. At least Rosalina is a puppeteer but... Not enough to sold me on her.

So I'm crossing my fingers for DLC characters at this point (Toad plz, I want him ever since the beginning of Melee).

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Now that Ike is back, 8.5/10.

I just need the rest of the Brawl Vets, including Snake, Mewtwo, Palutena, Shulk, and Bandana Dee. And you know what would make it an instant 10/10? Roy. I do love my Fire Emblem Lords.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, Ike's back! Personally, his reveal shocked me, but I'm just happy he's returned.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
You know, I was thinking about it, and all 5 newcomers' play styles excite me. Every one of them brings something new to the table.

I love Villager's innocent, accidental randomness.
I love Megaman's projectile based attacks and NES nostalgia.
I love Wii Fit Trainer's yoga and deep breathing power up moves.
I love Rosalina and Luma's marionette style.
I love Little Mac's scrappy fast combo set + power meter,
I love Greninja's speed and agility, tongue attacks, water shurikens and water daggers. And Substitute is just adorable. :D

Sure, I might not have chosen Villager, WFT, Rosalina or Greninja to have priorities over other characters, but when I think about Brawl, there were many characters pre-release that I wanted and got, such as Wario, Diddy and Sonic, who just wound up underwhelming and completely boring to me.

So getting the characters you want isn't everything. Sometimes you get someone you didn't know you wanted until you actually get them.

For me, the newcomers are 10/10 so far.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Only a few days left until E3! I'll be making a new poll for post-E3 madness (heh), so be sure to vote!

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Personally I LOVE the roster. The newcomers are characters I never really knew I wanted. Plus my mains are back (DDD DK Bowser Kirby Pikachu ToonLink) so all I need to see how is how many newcomers will be added, anything less than 12 newcomers i'll be disappointed.

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
As of right now before E3 i am very happy with the roster so far. All the newcomers look interesting in their play styles, greninja looks fun especially and with the return of my brawl mains lucario and ike i would still be happy if this was the entire roster. The only thing i really want now is for wario and caption falcon to make a return.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I really like most of the Newcomers. In all honesty, Megaman alone made the roster for me. Rosalina seems pretty cool. Little Mac seems like a really fun character. And Greninja is interesting too. The only character I don't like is Wii Fit Trainer, since they seem so boring. But c'mon, when everyone else is so awesome I think I'll be fine with one or two characters I don't like as much.

Rioni

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty satisfied with the roster right now. I really like the newcomers and I wanna know who else is gonna be revealed! In my opinion, they all look interesting and I can't wait to try them out, especially Rosalina and Greninja.

Although... I'm still waiting for Ness and Lucas. I truly want the both of them to be back!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Favorite Newcomer so far: Mega Man.

That projectile based moveset looks mighty fine....

Top Bottom