• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Poll* Have you ever been called names on FG?

Have you ever felt personally victimized by For Glory?

• Yes

Votes: 399 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 208 34.3%

• Total voters

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It's rare, but it happens. Had one "usuck", and some other I can't remember.

Also had one battle against a Luigi, who then took Jigglypuff that killed. I 2 stocked him on the third battle and got a "try harder", despite, well, winning quickly. Not sure about what he meant.

But, to be fair, as For Glory is full of "I just wanna win" people, if something is really isn't fun at all (people that try only one effective technique, for exemple), I usually leave with a "such fun..." tag. Not insulting, not really salty as I usually win these kind of battles.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Someone called me "CAMPER" after I thrashed them a couple days ago.

I was using Bowser...
You can camp with almost any character, depending on your perfect shield timing and which character you are fighting.

The faster the movement speed and faster the short hop options, the more likely you can win via camping. As a Bowser player, I'm sure you're very aware of his range, tilts, pseudo-armor, and fast short hop options. He is a great camper.

OT: I have had a string of nice-players, but then this week I ran into quite a few scrubs. I use that term very rarely.

For example, I was KILLIN IT with Peach and Zelda against someone using Rosalina, Falco, and Captain Falcon. I used each princess 2 times, ending with Zelda. I was called "OP/scrub" or something along those lines. I laughed since I can only put in 75% of the normal effort while playing online thanks to wireless+comcast = button lag button laaaaaag. Also, even thinking either Princess is OP for a split second requires you to be having a stroke... But then I realized that it might mean the person I was fighting was having a stroke, so I felt sad.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
They really should make it so that you can't see other people's tags in With Anyone mode, kind of like in replays. It would definitely reduce the amount of salt going around FG tremendously and make the game a lot more fun when friends aren't available to play. Quite frankly, if Miis are banned online for that same reason, then I don't see why custom tags are displayed.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
They really should make it so that you can't see other people's tags in With Anyone mode, kind of like in replays. It would definitely reduce the amount of salt going around FG tremendously and make the game a lot more fun when friends aren't available to play. Quite frankly, if Miis are banned online for that same reason, then I don't see why custom tags are displayed.
I disagree. There's a lot more humor and sportsmanship displayed via tags in FG than salt.

Arrei

Smash Lord
You can camp with almost any character, depending on your perfect shield timing and which character you are fighting.

The faster the movement speed and faster the short hop options, the more likely you can win via camping. As a Bowser player, I'm sure you're very aware of his range, tilts, pseudo-armor, and fast short hop options. He is a great camper.
I'd argue defending isn't close to the same as camping. Bowser doesn't play by running away, nor by trying to stay in the same spot all match.

But the point is moot anyway - I had played that entire match as aggressive Bowser, because the guy was full of openings.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I'd argue defending isn't close to the same as camping. Bowser doesn't play by running away, nor by trying to stay in the same spot all match.
Defending isn't camping. Bowser plays keep away to keep his huge hurtbox safe. Although, he has OK approaches thanks to his movement speed. Defending/keep away is all Zelda has. lol

Camping is basically all shield and punish, no approaches unless you're totally bored. Occasionally running from side to side to get more space. A lot of spot dodging and rolling. Bowser has great keep-away range and speed, so that's what can make him a ridonk camper. Usually when I get momentum, Bowser players go into straight up camp mode. As opposed to the actually-fighting cautious keep away mode. Because Zeldoo and Peach are too scary and OP to fight! Or something.

Arrei

Smash Lord
What you describe is more turtling than camping, isn't it? (Heh. Bowser. Turtle.) The term as applied in a game setting typically refers to harassing opponents from a far spot and retreating just to set up shop in other safe spots when threatened, yes? So in FG, that'd be stuff like projectile characters rolling or dashing away and pelting you with crud over and over, as so very many FG players are infamously wont to do. I highlighted the Bowser part because he can't possibly pull those kinds of shenanigans and tends to be extremely susceptible himself to those thanks to his massive hitbox, while even his defensive play must first involve closing the gap and his size remains a big limiter in how well he can really "camp".

And personally, I'd heavily question the use of the term to describe any tactic employed by any game character that cannot force the enemy to come to him, anyway, but I suppose that's just debating semantics in the end. Now that I'm thinking of these matches again I actually suspect the guy tried to call me that because I was able to kill him at the ledges after waiting at them to watch his recovery and ledge options, effectively "camping" the ledges against his recovery attempts if you accept that interpretation. Still silly, of course.

Also, more on topic, I seem to be finding even more good sports on FG lately. Lots of people congratulating on good wins, exchanging courtesy "GG"s, even being humorous about getting slammed with suicide techniques. One guy recently did seem to get salty and exclaimed "I HATE U" because he couldn't beat me, but he didn't try to insult me and he kept trying his hardest, so I made sure not to rub any salt in his wounds with taunts just for taking a stock or anything (unless he happened to do it first, I prefer to return taunts in kind, heh). When he finally left, he put up the tag "TOOGOOD4ME" instead of any sort of insult, so I like to think he was a pretty good sport about it all. I actually kind of wish I could communicate with some of these folks directly during the match to explain what they're doing wrong.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
never seen this thread, but I have been insulted aswell! (I have gotten good response and some friends from For Glory aswell)

one example was I played Jr and won over his Sheik and Diddy, he changed his tag to "USUCK" and left, did change it to "GG :3" when I saw he changed it.

another time, I was playing shulk against a Salty Captain Falcon (with salty, he was try-harding, taunted after every kill and was "dashdancing" to show of his puny skills). I did won over him, but I accentently miss the ledge while recovering and got his F-Smash on me and killed me.
he wrote "LOL!!!!!!!!!" and left faster than speed of light.
(not that much insulting, but so low sportman ship so I needed to say it)

Kleric

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrOrdun
Have I been called names? Yes. Did I feel personally victimized? Definitely not!
I've gotten the typical "USUCK" and "TRYHARD". Win or lose, for what reason should I ever be offended by these? I suppose I do humor myself when I respond to them with "Good Game!" (As I do with anyone), in a way derogating them in comparison of manners. :)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I disagree. There's a lot more humor and sportsmanship displayed via tags in FG than salt.
Personally, I've seen a lot more "LOL", "USUX", and "GET GOOD"s on FG than I've seen "GG"s. At this point, I'm convinced it's a problem.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
I get called names once an hour on average, and I usually do not taunt, I rarely switch characters, and I mostly play characters who do not use projectiles. I even write respectful things after I lost. I dont know what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I just got called "SpamerNoob" by a Jigglypuff player who failed to realize that Palutena completely controls the air in this matchup. He tried to jump around me constantly and land aerials, which would make sense for a Jigglypuff to do normally, but against Palutena, that means she's going to be eating a lot of Autoreticles and Up smashes until she starts staying on the ground.

The best part was that after leaving the room once, he ended up being put up against me again, so he called me "SpamerNoob" again and left. The entire incident was actually pretty funny.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So, I just fought a G&W and he won the first match (mostly due to my ****ty Gamepad somehow registering a down-smash as a jab at a crucial KO moment), rolling, taunting, and T-bagging all the way. He beat him the second time, and promptly responded with the tag "TEABAG MORE". The last match, he went Sonic (lol, I know, right?) and won; he proceeded to change his tag to "2MLG4U" and immediately left. Looks like I have a new reason to hate G&W, guys!
Seriously, Nintendo, tourney mode when? I'm honestly tired of running into these poor-ass sports whenever I go online.

Audio/Volatile

Smash Rookie
NNID
GazerTheGamer
3DS FC
4468-1089-8561
So my younger brother and I decided to play some 2v2 FG together one day. I should point out that at this time, I was called Gazer. Everything was going normally, we won a lot of matches and lost a few, nothing special. Then we came across this dude named Brandon and his friend named "U SUX." My brother and I had a decent laugh out of that, and proceeded to absolutely slaughter them together. At the character select screen, we changed up our characters and then I noticed that Brandon changed his name to "GAYZER." The dude took time out of his life to type that (totally original) insult up because I beat the crap out of them. We won that next round in another landslide victory. It was then I proceeded to name myself "BRANDUMB" in retort before starting the next game. We won again, and they ragequit. We still both think that was just hilarious.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
It's absurd. This problem shouldn't even be existent in this game.

I can't go on this mode without someone getting on their high horse thinking they're good because they beat me when I'm playing worse than I do playing casual.

Imagine an 8 year old child going online to be only be sworn at by mindless people when he or she is just trying to have fun.
Imagine his or her parents reading that, on a game that is supposed to be a party game, rated "E" for Everyone.

There should be at least some degree of stopping this, if it varies from moderating the lobby, letting users report players in the lobby (with a system tracking their tags), only letting one control option on For Glory at a time with no ability to change Tags, or at least blocking offensive words.

I'm surprised at how much of an oversight this was, I thought sharing real NNID's was a stupid move enough, but, no, there had to be one step further and people actually had to communicate over this.

I'm just really glad the 3DS doesn't have this problem, but in the Mewtwo patch, a lot of things will be added. Let's hope Nintendo got a decent amount of feedback for this issue...

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Tons. No way I'd get away with saying most of them here either.

But it's worth noting you can visit people's profiles long after the match. Home > Friend List > Users Played With > Profile/Friend Request. I've caught plenty of players talking trash about me on Miiverse, and what's funny is that most of them are spineless wimps who'll run at the sight of you posting. I don't think many know you're not anonymous on Smash...

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Been called "noob" today. Because I won.
A Samus that got me the first time, and that I managed to kill the second time with a well placed farore Elevator.

What is more depressing is that he was actually skilled. Well, the "I'll show off my skills" type, but skilled nonetheless. If he wasn't trying to insult me, I probably wouldn't leave. He was already spacing a bit too much, I don't especially want to play against salty and dirty people.

D

Deleted member

Yes I have, just recently.
I had a close game against a Ganondorf and I lost (I was also using a character that I was practicing and wanted to fool around with).
I'm down and I'm frustrated... but my opponent starts to rub in his victory in my face.
He said that I sucked, thanked me for the replay, called me "easy mode," and said something incredibly profane. Then, he left.

Just why? Why do people do this?
I really hate For Glory sometimes. I really should be moving to Smash Ladder... hopefully I can find some good opponents on there.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I fought a Captain Falcon earlier today for about 20 seconds. I got him to about 50% while he barely even hit me and then he suddenly SD'd twice. He quickly changed his name to "U LAG" and left. There wasn't even any noticeable lag during the match (but then again, seeing as how he already had that name so quickly tells a lot about him).
Just why? Why do people do this?
Probably because they have a crappy real life and take it out on people they don't even know.

Last edited:

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Fought a zss and beat him,decided to play another match,the match was close and then sudden lag would come up every time i got the advantage(obvious lag switching) he barely beats me.i changed my tag to "ggs" like I usually do,he responded with "get rekt scrub".

It baffles me at the amount of sad pathetic losers that plague for glory.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Just beat a pk-fire-->grab Ness that quickly changed his name to "U LAG" and left. I still don't get why people keep saying this even though there was absolutely no lag during the entire match. At least try and say something that kind of makes sense like "IDIOT" or "UR DUMB".

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Got a wonderful combo of "SAND/NI GGER" "9/11" "ALLAH" "MLP SUCKS".

All from the same person. Just... Beautiful.

Herr Director

Smash Rookie
NNID
Herr_Director
Just played two matches against a really good Sonic main. He beat me fairly quickly in match one. In match 2 I adapted to his style, which lead to a 4ish minute match that he won with a clever victory that I was genuinely impressed by.

Back to the main menu, he throws up "FUC U" and bails. Classy.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
After 500+ matches, I finally met one of these pitiful excuses for human beings. I was playing against a Dr. Mario. (I think the person's name was Tom.) I two-stocked him, and the way I took the final stock must've made him angry. I was playing as Pikachu, so I got him into the air, and used my fair three times in a row against him, and every time he hit the ground, I knocked him off the stage again, eventually reaching the point where I stopped him before he could recover and made him fall to his doom. After that, he wrote "lagnoob" (even though there was no lag) and left. He took that loss pretty well.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
*Sighs* For the third day in a row, I met yet ANOTHER name caller. This time it was a crappy Link/Megaman that did nothing but spam projectiles and roll. I beat him both times without losing a life, and right before I left (I wanted to fight someone who wasn't a spammer), he changed his name to "URGAY". I wish he did that a few seconds earlier so I wouldn't have quit and I could've messed around with him for a little bit.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Came across a pretty terrible Charizard who used the name "GET REKT" the entire time I fought him. In this occasion I best him pretty easily, even when my gamepad started messing up (Lost connection) I still was able to beat him (Might've had something to do with him Flare Blitzing off the stage and SDing at one point)

The funniest part was the end of the last match with him. He finally KOs me and taunts....when he's on his last stock and at 120%. Even when he's about to lose, he's still as cocky as ever with his Flare Blitz and raw smashes. Soon as I respawn he's at the edge of the stage trying to raw side smash me, but he doesn't account my respawn invincibility so I get a dash attack on him and send him flying.

I'm pretty lucky to only encounter one guy so far, but he'll probably not the last.

Skybunny

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skybunny
I've started running into a few people like this very recently.
I ran into someone today who played an "okay" Lucina. After beating them, they changed their tag to:
"REPORTED"
"CHEAP *****"
"NO SKILL"

and then left. At first I was kind of upset but seeing that it happens to other people helps to brush it off, so thanks for this thread.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
i run into these kind of people frequently, although the most bizarre instance happened yesterday when a guy named 'のはら しんのすけ' showed up, changed his tag to 'YOUF()CK' and then left before we even had a match. I am not even joking.

GamemasterTom

Smash Rookie
NNID
GM-Tom
A few days ago, i won against a Ness player using G&W (he run right into the full bucket), and after the game he changed his name to "U R TRASH", and then left, and in another ocassion a japanese player enter, changed names to "U SUCK" then leave before even playing once

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Last night I ran into a bad Captain Falcon that couldn't get past Wario's bike when thrown upwards near the ledge (I guess pressing the roll button or simply waiting for the bike to stop bouncing was too hard for him). Afterwards he changed his name to "SPAM" and "U SUCK" (though I was prepared this time and managed to say "LOL" before he left). Pretty ironic since all he really tried to do the entire match was grab me.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Worse than the tag changing I've seen a huge up tick in "tea bagging" lately.

Up on your opponent by 100 percent they finally kill you but it doesn't matter, they tea bag

Accidentally sd at any point in time, tea bag

Some people Ive seen tea bag after landing a single move its ridiculous lol. I'd rather have someone get salty with tags than turn this into call of duty tea bagging all day.

Blazer561

Smash Rookie
I recently played doubles online with Little Mac and after this Samus user lost a couple of times, he then proceeded to change his tag to "LILSPAM" and "LILCAMP" (lolwhat?). It's obvious that he got frustrated with playing against Little Mac, like a lot of people do. However, rarely do I ever roll dodge and I never spam smash attacks like a lot of little mac players I've seen.
In another case, I come across this one player often who uses villager and roll dodges excessively. I noticed it when he teamed with me and decided to switch to Sonic in case we went against each other. He lost the next match and changed his tag to "SonicScrub". The next time I encountered him, he seemed to have the tag ready and quickly changed it to the same one as before since he recognized me.
I've also been called "Trash" by this one guy who I beat twice and he left. They need to learn to:

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
I once owned a Mario in FG who did nothing but spam roll the whole match.

After I won, he changed his name to "MEvTRYHARD" (Tryhard referring to me).

I lol'd.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Lost to a ZSS while playing as Samus once. I actually did fairly well, considering I hadn't fought many ZSS players prior, let alone a competent one. I got the match pretty close, and I think I mainly died because of a mistake on my part (as in an accidental SD), but the ZSS taunted after each of my deaths, and then used their tag to call me "TRASH" before leaving. Another match I had completely 2-stocked a player, before they threw the "USUCK" tag at me and left. Cute. lol

Honestly, though, I can find it hurtful sometimes when you lose due to a mistake that results in an SD or flat-out getting beaten badly, only to have the player you fought rub salt in the wound. Luckily, it doesn't take too long for me to let it roll off. I try to be a good sport, whether I'm losing or winning. It's good to know I have others that I can relate to on this subject!

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Just beat a pk-fire-->grab Ness that quickly changed his name to "U LAG" and left. I still don't get why people keep saying this even though there was absolutely no lag during the entire match. At least try and say something that kind of makes sense like "IDIOT" or "UR DUMB".
I think I just faced that Ness. He used the white costume I think. He wasn't just the typical spam Pk fire Ness that I occasionally see online. He had a tendency to occasionally just start doing nothing for short periods of time: no attacks, no shields, no rolls. He'd literally just stop fighting for a couple of seconds, which allowed me to get free smash attacks in.

Anyways, I two stocked him once, and he immediately puts up the tag "U LAG".

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I think I just faced that Ness. He used the white costume I think. He wasn't just the typical spam Pk fire Ness that I occasionally see online. He had a tendency to occasionally just start doing nothing for short periods of time: no attacks, no shields, no rolls. He'd literally just stop fighting for a couple of seconds, which allowed me to get free smash attacks in.

Anyways, I two stocked him once, and he immediately puts up the tag "U LAG".
The Ness I fought had the Mr. Saturn shirt alt, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was him.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Well, I got bored and felt like trying out a new character to mess around, and I lost. Guy was feeling like being a jerk and changed his name to "LOSER*LOL".

I really shouldn't use For Glory to relax.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
So far, I haven't met anyone calling me names and all that ****. Only had one guy with "GG" and that was it, the first I can remember anyone giving me a handshake for our performance.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if I did bump into one or more of those eventually, especially when I play as my top two mains Rosalina and Mega Man.

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
Sometimes when I lose they keep saying UMAD?, U SUCK, GIT GUD, REKT, and it does in fact annoy me. I usually say GG after a match. Win or lose. Some people are just jerks, but I couldn't care less. Just proves I'm more mature than them. Or if I win they call me a spammer. (Mind you, I don't spam, in fact I hate spammers.)

Top Bottom