• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Best doubles partner for Diddy Kong

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Whenever I watch team tourneys, I always watch for moments when the fighters chain moves together into an effective offense. But when watching some other tourneys, certain teams will look more or less cohesive. That got me wondering. Who is the best partner for each character? Well, since I’m a casual Brawler, and I don’t have the expertise to judge, so why not ask the experts? I originally tried this on GameFAQs, but the users in general were immature, or not qualified to give the information. Then I remembered the specific boards on Smashboards, so I brought the poll here. So who do you think the best partner is for Diddy Kong?

Rules:

- The poll will last for a week. If it becomes popular, it may last longer.
- You may only vote for one character.
- Assume friendly fire is on.
- Assume there are no items.
- After posting your answer, give a detailed reason why you choose that character. If you don’t give viable information, your vote will not be added.
- You may ask to change your vote if you have a viable reason.
- Discussion on your choices is allowed. NO FLAMES!!!
- If you vote Pokemon Trainer, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you vote on the Pokemon Trainer poll, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you want to use videos to explain your reasoning, feel free to post them, but remember. I play this game casually, so you have to explain what parts of the video are important and why they are important.
- You may vote on multiple polls.
- If issues occur, I may add or remove rules, so be sure to review the list.

Bowser – 0
Captain Falcon – 0
Diddy King – 0
Donkey Kong – 1
Falco – 0
Fox – 0
Game & Watch – 1
Ganondorf – 0
Ice Climbers – 0
Ike – 1
Jigglypuff – 0
King Dedede – 0
Kirby – 0
Link – 0
Lucario – 0
Lucas – 0
Luigi – 0
Mario – 0
Marth – 0
Meta Knight – 0
Ness – 0
Olimar – 0
Peach – 0
Pikachu – 0
Pit – 1
Pokemon Trainer – 0
R.O.B. – 0
Samus – 0
Sheik – 0
Snake – 1
Sonic – 0
Toon Link – 0
Wario – 0
Wolf – 0
Yoshi – 0
Zelda – 0
Zero Suit Samus – 0

Replies: 9

If your vote isn’t tallied, you may have done one of the following:

- You voted for multiple people or didn’t make your answer clear
- You voted for multiple characters
- You didn’t give a good reason.

phate

Smash Apprentice
I like dk because he is great at killing and can edgeguard decently. Dk's glide toss is pretty good too.

rel_12

Smash Apprentice
The Best partner is Pit! TJgamer and I do very well with these 2 and I have some youtube vids of us. I'll post some when I can.

Roager

Smash Ace
Snake, maybe? Just for the fun of mines and bananas. Other than that, I'd suggest someone with good aerials, like MK.

Adam_

Smash Apprentice
Diddy + Ike

Diddy can use the bananas to catch people up and make them slip while a good Ike player would be ready with a smash.

Ike's recovery is not that great so he can grab ledges before diddy seeing as diddy has his double jump his diddy flip and his amazing up b.

Diddy can stay in the air while Ike has ground control.

Count

Smash Champion
I think many characters are decent partners with diddy since he can be played with bananas or without. For many diddy mains, an aerial based partner is best, and also a heavy partner to compensate for diddy's fairly light weight. So, it seems to me that King Dedede would be an excellent partner for diddy, but that is just using the logic from my previous statements.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight in my opinion. DK is a large target, and may suffer some unintentional banana rapage. Snake is the worst team partner period.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Samus for Diddy's Partner

Samus is a good partner for Diddy. When Diddy latches onto an opponents face using the Diddy Hump the latch holds the opponent in place breifly; allowing for Samus's fully charged gun to blast the opponent for an easy KO. Not only this but the nannerz plus missles and short rapid charge shots from Samus lead to great spacing abilities.

Oh...Sorry I didn't quite read the rules all the way and failed to notice that friendly fire must be on. The Diddy Hump latch then probabally wouldn't be good because Diddy would get hit even if the charge came from the the opponents side and hit him first because Diddy and the opponent would be too close together.

N4N3RZ

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kong - 4 Bananas - ****
I actually Haven't found another Diddykong to team with but I can only imagine how **** it would be lol.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Diddy Kong. Reasons that n4n3rz said and the fact that you shouldn't be slipping on your opponents bananas, you both have the same dash attack that was made for picking up items.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Double Diddy's works decently. It's funny to watch people get pissed off at two bananas, but their reactions at four are just hilarious. =P

I personally like teaming up with Peach. She can float over bananas incredibly easy, and that extra projectile that she provides is ridiculously annoying when paired with Diddy's bananas. Plus, if she somehow screws up with her recovery, Diddy can give her an extra jump by dropping bananas off the ledge. Since they go straight through her parasol, it's a safe way to bring her back up without Diddy having to leave the stage.

Yanki

Smash Cadet
Mmmm i think a peach, because they 2 can use the trow glitch and peach always on the air can avoid the bananas useds vs the team, they bout have a nice recovery, and peach whit he up smash can set anyone to fly, i have a dk team to for the glitch but i really prefer the peach 1.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Peach is an excellent partner for Diddy. I won a doubles tournament with my friend and he uses peach. We went Diddy/Falco first game and lost to scrubs, but then won the rest with Diddy/Peach

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
It is safe...almost no lag in case you forgot
dash attack into a another banana thats not yours(Thats the most annoying one). Dash attack into snakes jab jab jab. Dash attack into pits jab jab jab. Dash attack into a shield grab(definitely possible). Dash attack isn't safe. Good, but not full proof.

Player-1

Smash Legend
dash attack into a another banana thats not yours(Thats the most annoying one). Dash attack into snakes jab jab jab. Dash attack into pits jab jab jab. Dash attack into a shield grab(definitely possible). Dash attack isn't safe. Good, but not full proof.

Nothing is full proof...ITS SAFE

Player-1

Smash Legend
I just told you why it's not safe. Those aren't the ONLY things that **** the dash attack either. There are A LOT. Dash attacking into a banana and grabbing it then slipping on the one next to it is not SAFE.

Ok i just looked back, and i agree its not safe, but nothing in brawl is safe. You say Peach is go partner for diddy. Her dash attack isnt safe. Her fair isnt safe. Her turnips arent safe, and id also like to say that diddy mains shouldnt be falling for that banana trick you just stated

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Ok i just looked back, and i agree its not safe, but nothing in brawl is safe. You say Peach is go partner for diddy. Her dash attack isnt safe. Her fair isnt safe. Her turnips arent safe, and id also like to say that diddy mains shouldnt be falling for that banana trick you just stated
Brawl is as safe as you make it. If you play smart enough, you can almost go un-hit. I've played matches with the best in GA and I can almost kill people without even being touched because I don't do something senseless like dash attack everywhere. If I have to worry about avoiding 2 opponents PLUS 2 bananas then I'm going to be thrown off and probably going to lose my cool(**** like that annoys me). Even in doubles, I try to tell my partner "don't touch my bananas" because I'd like to know they are mine.

About peaches approaches being safe, you are completely right. That's why peach sucks in singles. Fortunately I said shes good in doubles with Diddy. Why? She can float right over them. While in the air throw in a surprising forward air or shield pressure someone while they are stuck in between 2 bananas and they can't roll or they will trip. Turnips? A plus for the team as long as they are controlled correctly and not thrown at you. The main reason is because of her float/shield pressure above someones shield while they are bounded by bananas.

Don't take me for a scrub man.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Pika.

Almost as fast, small, picking up bananas should be a sinch, and he can protect you with Dsmash spam.=]

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I like Marth as a partner for Diddy.

Great big disjointed Hitbox, master of spacing. Marth will be spending alot of the game shff'ing Fairs and punishing with dancing blade.

I also like Metaknight. If only so you can use the tornado to break out of a bad spot in case Diddy's bananas get in the way.

The question I'd like to ask is how well does Diddy do as a team character?
I prefer playing Marth in doubles, but that may just be me.

Count

Smash Champion
While were discussing doubles, my friend and I may be heading to some tournaments as a doubles team, and I know that I am playing diddy, but he is not sure who to play. He has a solid toon link and kirby and is looking to pick up another character, possibly dedede. Of those three, who would you diddy experts suggest?!

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
Count, I'm not sure I'm any Diddy "expert," but I'd go with a spacie, they seem to get around well, and they cover some of Diddy's bad match-ups.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Brawl is as safe as you make it. If you play smart enough, you can almost go un-hit. I've played matches with the best in GA and I can almost kill people without even being touched because I don't do something senseless like dash attack everywhere. If I have to worry about avoiding 2 opponents PLUS 2 bananas then I'm going to be thrown off and probably going to lose my cool(**** like that annoys me). Even in doubles, I try to tell my partner "don't touch my bananas" because I'd like to know they are mine.

About peaches approaches being safe, you are completely right. That's why peach sucks in singles. Fortunately I said shes good in doubles with Diddy. Why? She can float right over them. While in the air throw in a surprising forward air or shield pressure someone while they are stuck in between 2 bananas and they can't roll or they will trip. Turnips? A plus for the team as long as they are controlled correctly and not thrown at you. The main reason is because of her float/shield pressure above someones shield while they are bounded by bananas.

Don't take me for a scrub man.
1. That's my point as long as you dash attack smartly it's safe just as safe as avoiding grounded bananas as Peach. Picking up bananas that aren't yours should be a 2nd nature tactic for good diddys you shouldn't be worrying about whose they are if you're good.

2. I was mainly using those peach things for examples...nothing to analyze over, but as long as we are on the subject.... Like I said before picking up bananas should be 2nd nature, as in it should be just as safe to dash attack to a banana pick up as it is to float over them. Last time I checked it's not very easy to directly line up 2 bananas surrounding an opponent in a chaotic doubles with a peach player just so happened to be right at that exact spot to Fair, and that person isn't doing anything to get out or avoid it. Turnips...you're right their safe that was just the example part I mentioned earlier

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
1. That's my point as long as you dash attack smartly it's safe just as safe as avoiding grounded bananas as Peach. Picking up bananas that aren't yours should be a 2nd nature tactic for good diddys you shouldn't be worrying about whose they are if you're good.

2. I was mainly using those peach things for examples...nothing to analyze over, but as long as we are on the subject.... Like I said before picking up bananas should be 2nd nature, as in it should be just as safe to dash attack to a banana pick up as it is to float over them. Last time I checked it's not very easy to directly line up 2 bananas surrounding an opponent in a chaotic doubles with a peach player just so happened to be right at that exact spot to Fair, and that person isn't doing anything to get out or avoid it. Turnips...you're right their safe that was just the example part I mentioned earlier
Try double Diddy out man. It doesn't work.

kkkoala

Smash Cadet
if ur going ftw, mk... he doesnt rly go bad w/any1...

ditty cant ko amasingly: mk gimps very well
ditty reqs teh groud 2 b clear: mk stays in the air alot (whornado, shuttleloop, +standard stuff...)
dittys recovery is ez 2 gimp: back to mk gimping very well, if mk is close people tend to stay onstage

biggest reason is obviously: mk is op

Elitem42

Smash Rookie
Toon Link makes a great partner with Diddy Kong. Your team can projectile spam the @*!* out of your opponents. Toon Link stands in front of Diddy and fires away with his projectiles; Diddy stands behind Toon Link and shoots his peanut popgun. Because of Toon Link's height, the peanuts fly right over his head and into the opponents.

n3g4t1v3

Smash Cadet
The Best partner is Pit! TJgamer and I do very well with these 2 and I have some youtube vids of us. I'll post some when I can.
I agree with this guy... you have to have a character that can avoid the bananas. Honestly, though, I think that instead of trying to find a good doubles partner CHARACTER, you should find a good doubles partner and then switch characters. IMHO diddy is not a great team player.

Count

Smash Champion
Are you guys able to use your nanas in doubles? I feel overwhelmed and it is difficult for me to get my nanas out and use them, with all the chaos typically going on.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
I am going to vote for olimar.
IMO, olimar is one of the best teamates for diddy. Diddy is a small, fast character that is very good at comboing, but lacking kill moves. Olimar is a small fast character with great ko moves... thus they complement each other nicely, plus they both have projectiles to use for when they play campy characters. But aside from that, my main reasoning for liking this team is the combo potneial between the two. A lot of diddy's moves put people in positions to be up-smashed by olimar... d-throw, d-smash when olimar is behind diddy... f-smash, d-smash, f-throw when olimar is in front of diddy. The thing about this combo that makes it so well is that aside from snake, olimar is the only person to come to mind that has a ko move that lines up with the trajectory that most of diddy's moves send people. As for the banannas.... good olimar players pay attention to there pikmin lineup, so they can pay attention to another two things on the screen, so you normally don't mess them up, worse case they can throw a pikmin to stop the bannana. Diddy can watch out for olimars gimpible recovery by throing a bannana at the ledge hogger. There is more i can say, but now i'm sleepy haha... hopefully this is enough to count for my vote.

Top Bottom