• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraStorm13

Smash Rookie
I can say that I'm looking forward to this one. Never played Tekken before, though I doubt that'd hamper my experience. Either way, as a fan of the Fighting-game Genre and Pokemon, this looks very promising, assuming it gets a console port, which I'd say is fairly likely. I'm interested in seeing which Pokemon they'll have on the roster, we currently know that Lucario, Machamp and Blaziken are in the game, and due to Mega Lucario being shown it's safe to assume Mega Blaziken will show up as well.

Booster

Smash Lord
It would look promising if it wasn't for one major flaw:

It's exclusive to Japanese Arcades and America hasn't gotten an Arcade game in years.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

It's exclusive to Japanese Arcades and America hasn't gotten an Arcade game in years.
Naw man, they always release Namco fighting games in arcades first before porting, look at Tekken Tag Tournament. It's good because the console releases always add extra characters to justify paying full price when you could just play a bit at the arcade. It would be business suicide to not release it on the WiiU eventually.

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643

It'll be released in America, most likely on Wii U but it could be in arcades as well.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
given the amount of likes already it would be a stupid move not to port this to the console... I don't know how everything works concerning the copyright stuff and ownership of pokemon or arcademachines etc. but it would be a wise choice to port this. There's a lot of needs for it.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
So the pokemon that I'd love to be playable... excluding fighting types cause I think everyone can see a bunch of them being playable obviously.

List: Zoroark, Bisharp, Tyranitar, Krookodile, Greninja, Granbull, Kangaskhan, Ambipom, Ursaring, Lopunny, Muk, Garbodour, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Gengar, Rhyperior, Scizor, Dusknoir, Aggron, Electivire, Magmortar.

Now I don't expect all of these but they'd be boss.

Polo

Smash Cadet
All I need is

Given that there seems to be some sort of mid-battle mega evolution mechanic, I doubt that we'll see Mega Mewtwo X (or Mega Lopunny, for that matter) as a standalone character. However, perhaps regular Mewtwo could be a character, with Mega Mewtwo X as a mid-battle mega evolution.
Whether or not they include Pokemon like Mewtwo would probably depend on whether they want the game to be exclusively hand-to-hand combat, or if things like longer range psychic/electric/water/etc. attacks would be OK with Bamco. That also makes me wonder if Pikachu will get shafted or not. I mean, he's the mascot and all, but I'm not sure if he lends himself well to a Tekken-style fighting game.

Something else I was wondering about was if Pokkén Tournament will include any content from ORAS. It would have thought it unlikely, as it seems like the Pokkén Tournament release could be too soon after the ORAS release. That said, I guess:4greninja: in SSB4 proves that it is never too soon!

Last edited:

AuraStorm13

Smash Rookie
So, outside of the three we know are in the game, I'd say the Hitmons are very likely, particularly Chan and Lee, though Hitmontop could provide a unique playstyle to the game due to it's shtick with it being, well, a spinning top. You could also throw Sawk/Throh in there, they'd have decent enough chances as well. Anyway, I'd say Pangoro and Ursaring could fill in the gap of Panda and Kuma respectively, as it's been stated that no Tekken characters will be appearing here, (Thank the lord.) so Pangoro/Ursaring could fill in for Panda/Kuma's playstyles, just a thought.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
So guys, I checked back on the Fighting only thing and it turns out only one person has said that, although he translated from the Japanese stream it could have been a mistranslation.

I think what's more likely is that it's mostly Fighting types with only a small few who are not.

Nahhh.
https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/504671535391465472

This is Mr.Harada's twitter.
Pokken will NOT be an all fighting type exclusive game thankfully, so speculate away.

ALSO HEY SAPHY~ :3

Vale

Smash Ace
Pokémon I want:

Poliwrath
Ditto (play as the opponent's choice. Random character if both players select Ditto and team composition is limited to one Pokémon).

gimmicks that I think would be cool:
Hitmontop: weak attacks but immunity to grabs due to spinning
Hitmonlee: deals and takes more damage than usual when block[ed/ing] (still less than no block)
Hitmonchan: drain punch as a special move (do ultimates have different levels in Tekken?)

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
So Wailord is a viable choice?
LOL

Harada: "If the players want it"

Inb4 meme starts and everyone requests Wailord

"Oh crap..."

His entire moveset would probably be Body Slam, Headbutt, Turn around (would send everyone offscreen with his back end) and Eat You.

That's all assuming he even fits on the screen... only his head would be able to do so.

He'd make an amazing joke character/impossible boss.

darthnazgul

Smash Cadet
NNID
darthnzgul
Knowing the Tekken series, I can see them putting Wailord in for the lols.

TacoWiiCheese

Smash Rookie
NNID
Emmetkellyx
3DS FC
0447-6629-2260
I think every fighting type will be in here except for the legendaries, Terrakion, Virizion, Cobalion and Mega Mewtwo X, however, mewtwo would be cool and is standing like human fighter so it could be working.

I can see lots of potential in this, bit I'm hoping it'll come outside of Japan and not only on Arcade. THIS is what the Wii U could really need right now.
I hope to see type differences take effect in some way like the they do in the main games. Really hope it gets released in some way outside of Japan.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I'm really wondering how big the roster will be, considering Pokémon is HUGE. I'm expecting a little less than Tag Tournament 2's roster.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm really wondering how big the roster will be, considering Pokémon is HUGE. I'm expecting a little less than Tag Tournament 2's roster.
I expect it'll release in the arcades with a modest (for nowadays anyway) cast size of around 30-40 but will get extra characters when ported to home consoles.

More character is cool but less characters means more balance, considering they're making a new fighting system for this game.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I wonder how much this will play like Tekken?

Just from the trailer, the moves you can do look like they consume a lot more of the screen.
I'm guessing the core mechanics of the game will be different, but generally, like all of Harada's fighting games there's gonna be a lot of moves loaded into each character. There will most likely be a ground game too, where you can still get hit while knocked over on the ground, and your moveset becomes limited to rolling, getting up too block, or slow get up attacks.

Harada usually uses a blocking system known as low-mid-high, where highs can be ignored completely by ducking, mids can only be blocked standing, and lows only being blockable low. Throw moves in Harada's games are considered high but unblockable and are avoided by ducking or teching them. I'm gonna assume this game will have throws. It looks like just from the trailer there's some moves that crush guard as well.

That's all I can assume so far.

Last edited:

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I wonder how much this will play like Tekken?

Just from the trailer, the moves you can do look like they consume a lot more of the screen.
I'm guessing the core mechanics of the game will be different, but generally, like all of Harada's fighting games there's gonna be a lot of moves loaded into each character. There will most likely be a ground game too, where you can still get hit while knocked over on the ground, and your moveset becomes limited to rolling, getting up too block, or slow get up attacks.

Harada usually uses a blocking system known as low-mid-high, where highs can be ignored completely by ducking, mids can only be blocked standing, and lows only being blockable low. Throw moves in Harada's games are considered high but unblockable and are avoided by ducking or teching them. I'm gonna assume this game will have throws. It looks like just from the trailer there's some moves that crush guard as well.

That's all I can assume so far.
Lucario is trying to learn extra moveslot. But lucario already knows four moves. Should a movebe forgotten?

Last edited:

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
I've been waiting for this game ever since the name "Pokken" got trademarked. Can't wait to see more of the game in the future.

As for the roster size, I wouldn't be surprised if it was smaller than Tekken Tag 2 considering how much work will be going into creating new models/characters. I'm confident the roster will be fine though. I'd love to see Ditto on the roster and have it act like Tekken's Mokujin, constantly switching fighting styles (or in this case, Pokemon) in-between rounds.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
nah, please no ditto... would mean that you're always fighting against yourself... that sucks.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Wont happen only final evolutions can megavolve. So wigglytuff first

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Nope, Slowking is. Just because it requires an item or trading or both to evolve doesn't make it not the final evolution.

Unless that was a joke that totally went over my head~ :p

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
Nope, Slowking is. Just because it requires an item or trading or both to evolve doesn't make it not the final evolution.

Unless that was a joke that totally went over my head~ :p
It's like the Eevee-lutions or Poliwrath vs Politoed, they're separate branches of evolution. Both Slowbro and Slowking are the final evos of their respective branch.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
My top 10 roster.

1. First and foremost, Sceptile. Perfect Grass type for this game. In a sense, he may even be the ONLY sensible Grass type for this game. Being my Favorite Pokemon of all time is just icing on the cake.

2. Scolipede. I'm sure at this point, we know that the fighters aren't limited to just bipedal or Fighting types. Scolipede looks like a great candidate for the Bug Species. It can use its horns, poison attacks, and make use of its ability Speed Boost.

3. Mewtwo. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in honestly. But I'm putting him here because he's my favorite Legendary Pokemon of all time.

4. Scizor. Badass Pokemon. Those huge claws ain't just for attractin' mates.

5. Ampharos. Electric representative. I don't know Pikachu's relevance in this case especially since he'll be really small in a game like this. Amphy can even Mega Evolve so we can see his suaveness in HD.

6. Aggron. One of my Pokemon I used to beat the Elite 4 in gen 3. Other than that, I love his design very much. People love Nidoking. I love Aggron.

7. Toxicroak. I really like this frog thing. It has a unique ability in Dry Skin where it heals in rain and takes damage in heat. It would be interesting to see how it would be incorporated here. Maybe in water stages he's super fast and in Desert/Volcano areas he's really slow.

8. Salamence. Possibly one of the biggest fighters to be in the game, potentially, there are other more easy mode Dragons to throw in, like Garchomp or Haxorus, but this is my list :]

9. Wobbuffet. I actually don't like this thing too much. I've never used in it in the main games but I feel this things very purpose for existence, taking hits and doing more damage in return, will make for very very very interesting playstyle. It will have tons of HP, its normal attacks do barely and damage, but its counter attacks will do MASSIVE damage.

10. Aerodactyl. Possibly one of the few Flying types that can be reasonable in this game. I've never seen a perched Aerodactyl before(can't remember if he did in the anime), but who knows, he might look badass.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Looks like we may also see dragonite in this as well based on the anime.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
My top 10 roster.

1. First and foremost, Sceptile. Perfect Grass type for this game. In a sense, he may even be the ONLY sensible Grass type for this game. Being my Favorite Pokemon of all time is just icing on the cake.

2. Scolipede. I'm sure at this point, we know that the fighters aren't limited to just bipedal or Fighting types. Scolipede looks like a great candidate for the Bug Species. It can use its horns, poison attacks, and make use of its ability Speed Boost.

3. Mewtwo. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in honestly. But I'm putting him here because he's my favorite Legendary Pokemon of all time.

4. Scizor. Badass Pokemon. Those huge claws ain't just for attractin' mates.

5. Ampharos. Electric representative. I don't know Pikachu's relevance in this case especially since he'll be really small in a game like this. Amphy can even Mega Evolve so we can see his suaveness in HD.

6. Aggron. One of my Pokemon I used to beat the Elite 4 in gen 3. Other than that, I love his design very much. People love Nidoking. I love Aggron.

7. Toxicroak. I really like this frog thing. It has a unique ability in Dry Skin where it heals in rain and takes damage in heat. It would be interesting to see how it would be incorporated here. Maybe in water stages he's super fast and in Desert/Volcano areas he's really slow.

8. Salamence. Possibly one of the biggest fighters to be in the game, potentially, there are other more easy mode Dragons to throw in, like Garchomp or Haxorus, but this is my list :]

9. Wobbuffet. I actually don't like this thing too much. I've never used in it in the main games but I feel this things very purpose for existence, taking hits and doing more damage in return, will make for very very very interesting playstyle. It will have tons of HP, its normal attacks do barely and damage, but its counter attacks will do MASSIVE damage.

10. Aerodactyl. Possibly one of the few Flying types that can be reasonable in this game. I've never seen a perched Aerodactyl before(can't remember if he did in the anime), but who knows, he might look badass.
1: Breloom
2: Heracross/Pinsir (both with mega-evolve)
3: agree, though legendaries would be OP
4: With mega-form
5: Raichu?
7: meh, benefits from stagehazards suck... would always pick that particular stage just for toxicroak...
8: Flying types which are slow on land won't be very suitable i think
9: Would be too much hate... he only can counter/mirror coat and destiny bond.
10: same as salamence... he's cool but not suitable for a fighting game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom