• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Well, we'll get news eventually, and with arcade release next month we should know the roster too (I figure we'll get around 18-24 characters for arcade release, more for home), still figuring it for an early next year console release, but they still have to wait a bit for the announcement because they don't want to damage arcade sales

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Well we still don't have the final roster, but we have an arcade release date: July 16, and 2 new characters, Charizard and Weavile

Also, it's pretty cool they are doing all the characters in proper scale

Here's a thought,, even though typing seems be loose in roster choices we still don't have a dedicated flying or a fairy, so I'm still pretty hopeful for an Eeveelution for the latter perhaps... Though I also just realized I don't think there is a bug type either yet, or a grass type now that I think of it
Well final game is definitely going to have at least one of each, so any speculation on what Flying, Fairy, Water, Bug and/or Grass Pokémon you guys think could make it on the roster? Note I don't count the dual typings, and in regards to water, there are a ton of popular ones, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a non-legendary one pop up

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So we got Lucario, Pikachu, Machamp, Suicune, Gardevoir, Gengar, Weavile, Charizard and possibly Blaziken. That's 8-9 characters. I expect at least 3 more for either the arcade release or a home console release.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
So we got Lucario, Pikachu, Machamp, Suicune, Gardevoir, Gengar, Weavile, Charizard and possibly Blaziken. That's 8-9 characters. I expect at least 3 more for either the arcade release or a home console release.
I'd like to say 3 more for the arcade release with 2-3 more unplayable bosses(that are playable for the home version. Them keeping a handful to surprise upon release makes sense, is always nice to keep something for opening day.

Bosses are an arcade tradition, especially for Tekken, they are always playable in the home release, but not technically counted among the 3-5(at least) additional characters added for home release. Tekken generally has an oversized mid-boss (Ogre is a good example), perhaps an oversized legendary like Groudon, and a final multi form boss, Mewtwo is the obvious given for that one.

General rule for bosses is they are generally a little unbalanced, making them pariah and unplayable in the arcade release as they would be an unfair in the competitive scene. However the higher amount of customization and flexibility in the home version makes them fair game and just plain fun. A true Mewtwo or Groudon are both extremely powerful and the latter is huge if we are to scale. Great in the home version, but a little unfair in the arcade scene

I still see them rounding out the arcade roster between 12-15ish both due to UI and for a better overall amount of choices. so like I said about 3-6 left for the actual arcade release, then perhaps another 5 or more for the wii-u release, not including the 2-3 bosses made playable for the home version.

but hey that's my thoughts

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I also wonder if they'll include the rest of the Smash 4 pokemon cast. That'd be Jigglypuff, Greninja and Mewtwo. I could easily see Mewtwo as a Boss and we haven't had a Pokemon from beyond Diamond and Pearl playable so Greninja would do that. Jigglypuff would be one of those odd choices.

Well final game is definitely going to have at least one of each, so any speculation on what Flying, Fairy, Water, Bug and/or Grass Pokémon you guys think could make it on the roster? Note I don't count the dual typings, and in regards to water, there are a ton of popular ones, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a non-legendary one pop up
Flying; Hawlucha/some Dragon/Flying type
Water: Greninja
Grass: Sceptile
Bug: Scizor/Heracross/Pinsir
Fairy: Clefable/Granbull/Florges

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Ok, so I got an interesting one for you guys, so general consensus is that it will take 6 months to see a console announcement, let alone release, but this isn't necessarily true for a couple reasons, and I think we could see a western console release by December.

Lets start with the general, crossovers tend to have higher turnover rates, Marvel Vs Capcom 3 for example skipped the arcade stage. Street Fighter X Tekken also skipped arcade release as well. But you guys may say that's Capcom, how is that relevant to a new Namco game? Well for a Namco example, they released Tekken 7 a MONTH after the arcade release. Now while all those are established franchises, there is no reason that Pokkén Tournament wouldn't have a quick turnover too.

In fact it makes sense, both Nintendo and Namco have put good time into it's development, and it's based off an extremely popular franchise. A 1-3 month arcade run will whet the Japanese appetite, making them want the home version which will be on the Wii-u, and allow them to get the bugs out, yet with Nintendo's backing they can afford a shorter arcade only run. Now, other things that point to a quicker turn over is the fact it is already geared for a wii-u setup and control scheme, with a Gamepad style controller, and asymmetrical gameplay(which only the wii-u could do locally. We also don't know what hardware it is on, as it could also be on an arcade version of the wii-u hardware.

In short, it is likely a short turnover is planned, I'm not saying a 1 month turnover like Tekken, but the game coming out in October or November seems extremely likely and possible, and would add another high grade title to Nintendo's lineup.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Sorry for the double post, but this is another tangent, here's another post, we got a look at the updated roster

Looks like we got 6(could be 9 if they wanted to, but lets say 6) more unannounced Pokémon left for release, and my bets are still on 2 unplayable bosses in the game, one giant, and one multiform(most likely Mewtwo), who will be added in the console release as playable, and perhaps into the arcade game at a later date. Also depending on how long an arcade run it has there could also be more time unlocked characters

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder where Blaziken stands in all of this. It was shown in over a year ago.

Besides Blaziekn we're also missing Pokemon from Gens 5 and 6. Safe Choices would be Zoroark and Greninja/Hawlucha.

Covered types so far are Electric (Pikachu), Fighting (Lucario, Machamp), Steel (Lucario), Psychic, Fairy (Both Gardevoir), Ghost, Poison (Both Gengar), Water (Suicune), Ice, Dark (Both Weavile) fire and flying (Both Charizard). That's 12 out of 18- the missing ones are Normal, Grass, Ground, Rock, Bug and Dragon.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Has no one else seen this yet? Blaziken's official trailer released sometime yesterday I believe...Looks like a kick heavy fighter as expected, but appears to shoot fire based projectiles with his kicks as well for added range...

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
There would only be one major Dragon-type character I would want to see cream Charizard. the character would be Dragonite for Pokken! That would make my day. Until then, I am hoping that Pokken adds Dragonite as a playable fighter.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I wonder how much longer will it take for a console port to be announced (considering that Katsuhiro Harada's got a load of projects to do along with Pokken Tournament.)

EDIT:

Well, looks like a console port has finally been confirmed:

Last edited:
Yay! Wii U port finally confimed. And a new fighter: Pikachu Libre... seriously? They have over 700 possible choices, and they add second Pikachu?

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Yay! Wii U port finally confimed. And a new fighter: Pikachu Libre... seriously? They have over 700 possible choices, and they add second Pikachu?
Hawlucha would have been a great Luchador character, but nope

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Heh, my prediction was right! Also, don't worry you guys, since spring generally means between March and May, that means we got over 6 months. With the arcade version getting a new character every month or so that means 4 or so will come from the arcade version by release. Throw in the general console exclusive character rule for another 4-6 that may be added to the arcade version later, and 2 permanently exclusive console playable unlockable bosses(one likely being Mewtwo, another one being an oversized character like Groudon or Hoopa unbound), I'm expecting a home release roster of around 20, not accounting for any post release characters which we can't rule out either(Nintendo might want to make the game a long term platform like Splatoon, and made a deal with Namco to allow for more characters post release, it's not like they don't have a giant pool of characters to pull from)

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I was expecting the cosplay Pikachu to be alternates for Pikachu...not as a separate character...what a waste of potential for Hawlucha who would've been much better with the flying typing IMO....but then again it doesn't necessarily rule out Hawlucha, but it may reduce his chances...

But at the end of the day CONSOLE RELEASE CONFIRMED!!! (now...when will Scizor get revealed?)

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm expecting we'll see more characters added for the console release. so Hawlucha still has a chance. Maybe as a clone of Luchachu but still a chance.

I'm really hoping this gets a competitive scene.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
How many more playable Pokemon characters can we expect for the roster?
Well from that video we see that the character select can expand, but of the current configuration there are 5 slots left, with one of them assumedly being for Librechu. That leaves 4 more for sure for arcade(bringing the total to 14). Now, assuming that doesn't expand, we can expect 4-6 more console exclusives, excluding the possibility of more post release characters(which is totally possible. Also, there's the possibility of a boss or two would be too big or unbalanced for the arcade version(like say Groudon, or heck I'd class Mewtwo like this). So personally, I'm thinking 20-25 for console release, possibly more post. Fact is the game has been in development for 3 years, and they likely have a number of characters that are done but unbalanced(for example, we've known of Blaziken for what? a year now?) it's quite likely that there are 5 or more Pokémon complete already, but they simply haven't been shown, in part for more hype, and also due to them not being balanced. the initial 8 characters were balanced against each other for release, but each additional Pokémon has to have the arcade balance period with the exception of console exclusives/bosses.

So the fact is we don't know the final roster for sure, and it being a fighting game, balancing means that they can have a number of characters modeled and animated that simply aren't ingame yet due to balancing(and keeping the arcades full). But I say 20-25, and a number of console exclusives support Pokémon's.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How many more playable Pokemon characters can we expect for the roster?
IF we lookat blaziken's placement and take Lucha-Chu into consideration, four more fighters.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
IF we lookat blaziken's placement and take Lucha-Chu into consideration, four more fighters.
And knowing Namco's Tekken habits, there's gonna be a boss character that's made playable as a console exclusive.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
And knowing Namco's Tekken habits, there's gonna be a boss character that's made playable as a console exclusive.
Yep, I've been saying that as well, possibly 2 characters even. Mewtwo seems the obvious choice, but an unbalanced giant is a possibility like Groudon or Hoopa Unleashed. throw in another 4-5 for console release on top of the additional arcade ones and I'm thinkin 20-25 myself, though there could be some actual clones though

Personally I'm hoping for an Eeveelution, Blastoise, Arbok(or a serpent type in general), Genesect, and Golurk. Who are you guys hoping for?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So the arcade version will have 14 characters minimum when the Roster is full. I have to wonder why, Libre-chu and Mega evolutions aside, they've been avoiding stuff from the last two gens in terms of playable characters. Several choices seem to be the devs trying to put themselves in the mindset of what the roster of a pokemon fighting game would be if made in the past (Machamp for Gen 1, Weavile for Gen 4 ect.)

finalark

SNORLAX
So the arcade version will have 14 characters minimum when the Roster is full. I have to wonder why, Libre-chu and Mega evolutions aside, they've been avoiding stuff from the last two gens in terms of playable characters. Several choices seem to be the devs trying to put themselves in the mindset of what the roster of a pokemon fighting game would be if made in the past (Machamp for Gen 1, Weavile for Gen 4 ect.)
Probably because this game's demographic is adult fans ages 18-25. I think they've been deliberately picking Pokemon that are well liked by that age group. Charizard, Blaziken, Lucario, Gengar and Gardevoir are all well liked by fans who were young when RBY-DPPT came out.

Honest, IMO the reason why they haven't touched Gen 5 or 6 yet is because those games aren't old enough to pull the nostalgia strings.

But that's just my crazy theory.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Yep, I've been saying that as well, possibly 2 characters even. Mewtwo seems the obvious choice, but an unbalanced giant is a possibility like Groudon or Hoopa Unleashed. throw in another 4-5 for console release on top of the additional arcade ones and I'm thinkin 20-25 myself, though there could be some actual clones though

Personally I'm hoping for an Eeveelution, Blastoise, Arbok(or a serpent type in general), Genesect, and Golurk. Who are you guys hoping for?
Definitely hoping for Greninja, Sceptile, Gallade, Hitmontop, Hariyama, Zoroark, Krookodile, the We Bare PokéBears, and Swalot, among others

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Since this appears to be the topic as of now...Most wanted Pokemon for Pokken...red indicates those who have other roles in the game...

:212:Scizor (since Weavile's addition, Scizor has easily become my most wanted)
Haxorus
Heracross
Sableye

Alakazam
Tyrantrum
Sceptile
Hawlucha
Tyranitar
Snorlax
Hariyama
Zoroark
Infernape
Electivire
Golem
Salamence
Greninja
Typhlosion
Mewtwo
Staraptor
Garchomp
Quagsire
Nidoking
Golurk

and....

:083:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
I doubt they're deliberately avoiding Pokemon from the last two gens. After all, we just got Pikachu Libre, who is a gen 6 pokemon, and we have mega evolutions, which are gen 6 pokemon. We also have Snivy as an assist pokemon, who is gen 5.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
My Pokken wishlist is looking like this right now:

Gallade (He's been my most wanted ever since Gardevoir was revealed)
Greninja
Swampert (not too likely now that we have Blaziken, but I would still be interested in seeing it in Pokken nonetheless)
Serperior
Electivire
Garchomp
Krookodile
Meloetta (personal preference of mine as I think it would be very interesting using a moveset revolving around song and dance)
Hawlucha (still wish he was included over Pikachu Libre)
Gogoat
Scizor
Salamence
Metagross
Bisharp
Golurk
Luxray
Darkrai
Noivern
Tyrantrum

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm REALLY feeling this game!

Gengar AND Weavile? Sweet baby Jesus, count me in!

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499

(Still rooting for my boy, Hawlucha!)

I'm pretty glad we got a console port for Pokken Tournament. I was afraid the game was going to be too simple but from the gameplay footage, it does look like it had ton of depth to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom