• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokken Fighters: It's an actual thing now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
1: Breloom
2: Heracross/Pinsir (both with mega-evolve)
3: agree, though legendaries would be OP
4: With mega-form
5: Raichu?
7: meh, benefits from stagehazards suck... would always pick that particular stage just for toxicroak...
8: Flying types which are slow on land won't be very suitable i think
9: Would be too much hate... he only can counter/mirror coat and destiny bond.
10: same as salamence... he's cool but not suitable for a fighting game.

Breloom, Pinsir Mega, and Heracross Mega are easy mode picks :] For the bug opinion, Scolipede is one of my favorites.

In Mewtwo's case, he wasn't OP in Melee, right?

For Scizor, either way works.

Raichu can work. But we alllll know Ampharos is the sexier option!

I'd have to agree with Toxicroak gimmicks. I still do want him in the game. Possible Toxicroak Greninja rivalry?

Canonically, Salamence is big, but he isn't slow either.

Wobboffet feeds off hate. I don't see why he should be crossed out just because he has a different playstyle.

And for Aerodactyl, the creator clearly stated that NO Pokemon should be a problem being implemented in the game. If they want throw in something ridiculous like Heatran they can do it. The wolf from Okami was a fighter in Marvel v. Capcom, they aren't the same people, but it shows what's possible in the game.

D

Deleted member

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for this game, but I do hold some concerns for how it's going to play.

The truth is, I'm not a big fan of the Tekken franchise. I really hope that this game plays differently, and it isn't focused on just endless juggling of your opponents. I'm eager for some new information, as well as what Pokemon will make an appearance.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I made a fan roster, it's bland but whatever it's just for fun.

Transformations

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I pretty much just want the cast of Pokemon: Type Wild. Minus Combusken and Swalot though.

D

Deleted member

Ever since I set eyes on this game, I fell in love with it. A fighting game + Pokemon?! That's like the ultimate combo. It's a fighting game with characters I will love! Though..I don't really like most fightings types..the only fighting types that appeal to me are; Heracross, Lucario, Hawluncha, Infernape, Chesnaught, and Breloom.

Sadly, its very unlikely Pikachu will be part of the character roster. If not, I'll most likely be maining Lucario.

I really hope this game gives birth to a new competitive scene.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
OK so NicoNico provided us with some gameplay footage.

Here's the rundown:

Looks to be a mix of Tekken and the Naruto fighting games. with fighters running around a circled arena, however the combat seems more traditional than that of the Naruto series, with no charging bar, stage hazards and a much smaller arena.Game rules are typical for a fighting game. An interesting note is that the life and stamina bars are not top left/top right. It has your health in the bottom left and the opponents on the top right, the camera angle is always an over the shoulder of your fighter facing directly at the opponent.

Pokemon confirmed playable so far:

- Lucario, a seeming all rounder, he has a mega-evolution.
- Machamp CQC master, throws are deadly
- Pikachu quick all arounder
- Gardevoir ranged and defensive, mega evolves.
- Suicune ranged zoner.

There are assist Pokemon you can summon in to do short bursts of attack.

List of Pokemon assists:

- Lapras surfs in from one side to the other.
- Snivy, runs up to oppenent and leaf storms.
- Emolga, Volt switches oppoent

There were two stages shown:

- Daycare like stage, where common pokemon are gathered in a park bench like area and watching you fight, Pokemon trainers ride thier bikes in the far background.

- A volcano like arena where Heatran watches you on the wall/ceiling, some bipedal birdlike Pokemon watches you in the background.

That's about it for now. There may or may not have been hints about something next week, but that's purely twitch speculation as none of us could read Japanese.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
OK so NicoNico provided us with some gameplay footage.

Here's the rundown:

Looks to be a mix of Tekken and the Naruto fighting games. with fighters running around a circled arena, however the combat seems more traditional than that of the Naruto series, with no charging bar, stage hazards and a much smaller arena.Game rules are typical for a fighting game. An interesting note is that the life and stamina bars are not top left/top right. It has your health in the bottom left and the opponents on the top right, the camera angle is always an over the shoulder of your fighter facing directly at the opponent.

Pokemon confirmed playable so far:

- Lucario, a seeming all rounder, he has a mega-evolution.
- Machamp CQC master, throws are deadly
- Pikachu quick all arounder
- Gardevoir ranged and defensive, mega evolves.
- Suicune ranged zoner.

There are assist Pokemon you can summon in to do short bursts of attack.

List of Pokemon assists:

- Lapras surfs in from one side to the other.
- Snivy, runs up to oppenent and leaf storms.
- Emolga, Volt switches oppoent

There were two stages shown:

- Daycare like stage, where common pokemon are gathered in a park bench like area and watching you fight, Pokemon trainers ride thier bikes in the far background.

- A volcano like arena where Heatran watches you on the wall/ceiling, some bipedal birdlike Pokemon watches you in the background.

That's about it for now. There may or may not have been hints about something next week, but that's purely twitch speculation as none of us could read Japanese.
Daycare like stage is Chrom Field/Town HE GOT HIS CHANCE THO!
Volcano is Poh Volcano.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I saw Gardevoir and Pikachu coming... Suicune surprised me.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Pikachu pulling a Hell Sweep made me chuckle.

Give me Hawlucha and I'll give you full retail price, Namco.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm actually pretty excited that Suicune was announced. I was afraid that we'd only get humanoid Pokemon but Suicune's inclusion opens the door for pretty much any 'mon to join in.

finalark

SNORLAX
But one of the first things they said was they wouldn't do that.
It's always possible for devs to go back on their word. I'm just glad to see that they're fulling that. I was honestly worried that Namco would just pick out Pokemon they could easily map the movesets of various Tekken characters to but it seems like that's not the case.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Say you guys, I just had a thought, with a wii-u version of this hopefully inevitable, what if part of the reason the primary gameplay is free 3D running is that the wii-u version will have a four player mode? not unheard of (powerstone, street fighter exe), and imagine four people around the tv in a free for all

Also it should be interesting to see how big the roster will be, since on the one hand its a new game, however the style is that the movesets are relatively small(but have some depth), which means while the style of the character is properly defined, each character takes less time to develop(and balance). Which means I can see it being on the bigger side, especially since gamefreak will be pushing the more popular 'mons, while the developers will probably want more variety... so my guess is 15-30, but you can never be sure. I'm thinking on the larger side since thanks to gamefreak, all character appearances have their bases, and most of their iconic moves established, so they have templates

Also, the three new ones announced today are probably the tip of the currently working iceburg, just the most nicely polished and popular, and they probably want to drag things out(while stretching out balancing which is a good thing)

D

Deleted member

Glad to see Pikachu(Come on, who didn't see this coming?) is an available character. I knew Gardevoir would be a character, she's one popular Pokemon. But if she is a character, its only fair Gallade is a character as well. What surprised me the most was Suicune, that really caught me off guard. If Suicune is in, I have high hopes for Raikou and Entei.

I believe that Charizard, Hawluncha, Greninja, and Blaziken are the next obvious candidate. Though, I do hope its Infernape over Blaziken, I'm not fond of Blaziken.

Now, lets talk about costumes/skin. I hope I don't see what smash brothers did and not give Lucario and Charizard their shiny form. Pikachu just HAS to get his lucha libre costume.

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
Speaking of costumes, I just hope that every playable fighter gets a costume or at least alternate skins. While it's inevitable, I'd like to at least see their shiny forms be playable.

I'm also really excited to see what Pokemon will be the Wii Fit Trainer or the R.O.B. of the game, AKA, the one that nobody ever expected to be playable. There are so many Pokemon that could fit that category.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'm also really excited to see what Pokemon will be the Wii Fit Trainer or the R.O.B. of the game, AKA, the one that nobody ever expected to be playable. There are so many Pokemon that could fit that category.
They already did. It's called Suicine.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
This game better come to Wii-U, cause I would buy it immediately. (cause as of right now this game is only set for Japanese arcades)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I also believe Raichu is a possible candidate to Pokkén, to pose as the rival to Pikachu. This'll add the feel of rivals to the game, like Ryu and Ken! Or special dialogues for certain characters. Which leads me to believe Gallade is a potential character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twewy

Smash Lord
(asking cause as of right now this game is only set for Japanese arcades)
That didn't seem much like a question, more like a demand...
Or special dialogues for certain characters.
[Special Dialogue: Machamp Vs. Lucario]

[LUCARIO and MACHAMP stand across from each other, their backs turned. Suddenly, LUCARIO turns around and gets into a pose, ready to battle.]
LUCARIO: [Lucario noises]

[MACHAMP turns around, arms at ready, flexing, punching the air for a moment before glaring towards LUCARIO]
MACHAMP: [Machamp noises]

Last edited:

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
That didn't seem much like a question, more like a demand...

[Special Dialogue: Machamp Vs. Lucario]

[LUCARIO and MACHAMP stand across from each other, their backs turned. Suddenly, LUCARIO turns around and gets into a pose, ready to battle.]
LUCARIO: [Lucario noises]

[MACHAMP turns around, arms at ready, flexing, punching the air for a moment before glaring towards LUCARIO]
MACHAMP: [Machamp noises]
It was a question when I was writing then I just decided to change the question into something else xD

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Eevee or one of its forms would be awesome for me(or even a new fighting type), also Blastoise would be pretty sick(and Genesect is a cool idea)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Seems they're trying to cover all generations with Suicune being announced so early. I hope for my other Gen 2 favorites like Scizor and Heracross though. Zoroark will definitely be a challenger.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Pokken Tournament is definitely looking interesting from what I've seen so far.

Does anyone think that they will use Amiibos if Pokken Tournament does come to consoles?

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I just had an interesting thought, what if this game is coming to wii-u a lot sooner than we think(like this year)? Know why that might be possible? What if the arcade version is using a Wii-u motherboard for the cabinent? that would also explain the controller, and it wouldn't be the first time this thing happened(Sega did it all the time with both the Saturn and Dreamcast, and a more recent example would be Capcom's Tatsunko Vs Capcom, which used a wii based cabinent).

What this would mean is that the actual gameplay part, in regards to balancing and content would be complete at the same time as the arcade version(which will likely be mid-summer), add in a month or two of balancing data and we would be in for a fall winter release. A Majority of the ingame text(like most fighters) is already in English, which means quicker localization, and any additional features for a home version(bonus modes, customization, exclusive characters, etc) would already be in development by respective teams, and during a shortened arcade balancing period(because additional balancing via patch is quick and easy)
It's just a thought, but if it is whats happening, the game could easily be out this year with a far shorter turnabout period than most Japanese fighting games(and Nintendo could really use another heavy hitter this year)

So, on another tangent, what do you guys think about the possibility of us getting a Legendary from every Generation, and which ones(that aren't already announced) would you want?(don't be afraid to do pictures, I'm not a pokemon person) Also, on the home version, what if we got a bonus Nintendo character like DK or Yoshi? Also, while Eevee is like a support pokemon, which type do you guys think is most likely(or want) as playable?

finalark

SNORLAX
(Sega did it all the time with both the Saturn and Dreamcast, and a more recent example would be Capcom's Tatsunko Vs Capcom, which used a wii based cabinent).
That's because SEGA primarily worked in arcades. Most of their consoles were just ports of their arcade games. Granted, Nintendo is working with Namco, who often do use arcades to test balance, so it's not impossible.

A Majority of the ingame text(like most fighters) is already in English, which means quicker localization
You do realize there are more languages in the world than just English and Japanese, right? Plus, as far as I know, I might be wrong, the north american localization are usually finished first. That would mean that they would also have to have a French and Spanish version of the game ready. I'm not sure how long localization take, but more text = longer translations. This is probably why EU versions of game take so long to come out.

Hopefully we'll see the game by late 2015 on home consoles, but it will probably loser to 2016.

(and Nintendo could really use another heavy hitter this year)
Like the new Zelda that's coming out?

So, on another tangent, what do you guys think about the possibility of us getting a Legendary from every Generation, and which ones(that aren't already announced) would you want?(don't be afraid to do pictures, I'm not a pokemon person) Also, on the home version, what if we got a bonus Nintendo character like DK or Yoshi? Also, while Eevee is like a support pokemon, which type do you guys think is most likely(or want) as playable?
I wouldn't really want non-Pokemon characters, but if they ended up doing that I would like to see Yoshi. Mostly because he's the most Pokemon-like out of Nintendo's stable.

If there's going to be one legendary per gen, this is wishlist:

Pokemon I: Mewtwo (not a whole lot of options here)
Pokemon II: Entei (although Suicune was confirmed, so moot point)
Pokemon III: Deoxys
Pokemon IV: Arceus
Pokemon V: Zekrom
Pokemon VI: Diancie

Also, if you're not a Pokemon fan then why are you feeling the hype for this one? Just out of curiosity.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I'm a sucker for fighting games, probably why I have over a dozen on the Saturn alone, I enjoy unique characters and environments, interesting gameplay gimics, and messing around against friends.

Also, Genesect is my guess for Gen 5, it has the popularity, and would be pretty sick

In regards to my personal hopes, Blastoise and an Eevee evolution(anyone really) are the ones I'd like, maybe Persian(Meowth is probably an assist), I may not be a huge Pokémon guy, but doesn't mean I'm completely clueless

Also, in regard to fighters, ya some of the secondary dialogue gets additional languages, but a majority of the menus are traditionally in English, which makes 90's imports not too horrible to navigate. Also, there isn't as much text, and you already got most of the base stuff translated from other fighting games(and in some parts Pokémon games

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
So, here's an info dump from NeoGaf
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981824

Also confirms Frogadier and Eevee appear as assist Pokémon. The latter was teased in the steam.

This seems to be a new stage. The third that we know of (fourth, counting the Game Show teaser's city stage):
Plus a new Trainer character:

And here's a nice view at the controls:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149665217&postcount=17

EDIT: had to remove these due to an extension rejection, they are manual scans, also apperantly Pokemon are split into 3 categories as of now, standard, power, and technic
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8h1X7UCUAE0nm1.jpg:orig
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8h1cfBCYAAm4lc.jpg:orig

A rough specials list
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149668313&postcount=30

Right
Frogadier uses Water Pulse which rapidly shoots out discs while Eevee uses Helping Hand which boosts your attack power and restores health.Also, the specials (may have got the combinations wrong. I'm terrible with Kanji):
Pikachu
Specials:
A: Thunderbolt
A + Forward: Nuzzle
A + Back: Electro Ball
(In Mid Air) A: Thunder (Cancel with R)Machamp
A: Beat Up
A (After Beat Up): Cross Chop
A + Forward: Submission
A + Down: Close Combat
Suicune
A: Aurora Beam
A + Forward: Hydro Pump
A + Back: Mirror Coat
(In Mid Air) A: BlizzardGardevoir
A: Psyshock
A + Forward: Assist Power
A + X + Back: Calm Mind & Psychic
(In Mid Air) A: Magical Leaf
Lucario
A: Aura Sphere
Forward + AA: Bone Rush
A + Back: Force Palm
Up + A: Extreme SpeedWorking on the descriptors. May just prod StreetsAhead and leave it for him when he wakes up

Also, Gardevoir is kinda creepy in red

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Kind of a noob to this game, but it has been really interesting to me and the Gengar trailer just revived my hype for it.

I can't find this anywhere, but who all have been confirmed for playable fighters so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom