• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Pokkén Tournament GD/Social - Poké Center Redux Version

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
That's a pretty good idea. There's an empty slot to fit it on out profiles, too. Thing is, I don't think there are any stock-icon-esque emotes in Pokken to take from, so we'd have to make our own or have someone make them for the site.

Also, while we're talking main emotes, am I the only one here that thinks they should combine the Smash 3DS Main and Wii U Main icons as a single Smash 4 Main icon?
I'd be up to make some stock icons if they don't already exist in game.

also yeah having a 3DS and a Wii U main is just redundant

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I would not mind sticking a Weavile icon next to my Smash mains...not at all...

It'd be a nice change of pace next to the many Links and the one ZSS...lol

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I'm thinking that maybe I could make a list of every move that can be avoided by going into High or Low stance with Chandelure/Gengar. For normal Y/X moves it might be unnecessary but it could be useful to test the Pokemon Attacks. I'm not sure if most people realize that they can completely avoid things like Mewtwo's Hyper Beam by just ducking.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I'm thinking that maybe I could make a list of every move that can be avoided by going into High or Low stance with Chandelure/Gengar. For normal Y/X moves it might be unnecessary but it could be useful to test the Pokemon Attacks. I'm not sure if most people realize that they can completely avoid things like Mewtwo's Hyper Beam by just ducking.
:surprised:
Yo that'd be GREAT. Also was NOT aware of that.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
On the topic of the main icons, I'd much rather they let you pick any six characters from the different smash games then be restricted to one per game. Because, let's be honest, how many of us even play multiple Smash games regularly at this point?

Shadow Mewtwo blockstring is definitely beatable, but it takes virtually no effort to use and puts the character way above the rest as a result. From my understanding most events just ban looping the combo excessively anyway, so I don't think people are taking it seriously at any level.

Karter_90

Smash Cadet
Turned off the advice but didn't do much good as she'd still talk so muted the voices altogether.

Anyway, is the Iron League worth going through? What's the reward(s)?

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Turned off the advice but didn't do much good as she'd still talk so muted the voices altogether.

Anyway, is the Iron League worth going through? What's the reward(s)?
A Santa costume for Nia and 5,000,000 pg

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I tried a demo of the game at a local retail store, but I really haven't been sold on the battle mechanics, and have found myself in dire situations at times. I don't see myself getting that game any time soon.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I tried a demo of the game at a local retail store, but I really haven't been sold on the battle mechanics, and have found myself in dire situations at times. I don't see myself getting that game any time soon.
It takes some getting used to, especially the Phase shifting...

It should be more enjoyable once you get the hang of the controls and how to adapt to the change in phases...
Also not sure which controller you're using on the demo but make sure you use a D-pad and not the joystick if you were on the Gamepad....MUCH easier and makes adjusting between phases a bit smoother I find...

If after a while you're still not feeling it then I guess it can't be helped though...not everything's for everyone...

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
tfw you beat a pokemon that is 5x times your size

So as you can guess, I have been playing as Pikachu Libre! I heavily enjoy her animation (seriously, so spunky and cute!) and her moveset can make some great combos. I think my main complaint with her that her ranged attack on the field phrase is pretty short and a bit too predictable? Idunno, I might have to play with her a bit to completely understand the best method of handling Libre.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I tried Pokken last week. I got rekt but the game seems very fun to play. I don't play Tekken often so i will have to get used to the game as i did not know the controls and mechanics.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It takes some getting used to, especially the Phase shifting...

It should be more enjoyable once you get the hang of the controls and how to adapt to the change in phases...
Also not sure which controller you're using on the demo but make sure you use a D-pad and not the joystick if you were on the Gamepad....MUCH easier and makes adjusting between phases a bit smoother I find...

If after a while you're still not feeling it then I guess it can't be helped though...not everything's for everyone...
The GamePad was the only option, since this was a demo, and not the full game. Still, I had issues with knowing when to defend, along with knowing how to use the different attack commands.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I tried Pokken last week. I got rekt but the game seems very fun to play. I don't play Tekken often so i will have to get used to the game as i did not know the controls and mechanics.
The game is barely like Tekken at all, only borrowing a few moves for some of the characters in duel phase and a few mechanics like sidestepping. Most have drawn more comparisons to Smash (same shield button, similar method of directional inputs for specials, etc.) and Street Fighter (Counterattack Dash Cancel being almost exactly like Focus Attack Dash Canceling).

Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy - If you ever get the chance to try the demo again, I'd recommend watching the video in this front page article.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I was thinking about picking this game up. It looks really fun and it's got some pretty unique characters it seems. The phase shifts kinda scare me though as it seems like it kind of locks you into certain positions when you don't want to be. Anyone got some insight on this game for me?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I was thinking about picking this game up. It looks really fun and it's got some pretty unique characters it seems. The phase shifts kinda scare me though as it seems like it kind of locks you into certain positions when you don't want to be. Anyone got some insight on this game for me?
The phases will shift multiple times in the game so don't worry about that.

The game is very complex and I say that as a good thing. There's a lot to master and optimize in the game. It's really fun and gives the player a ton of options to play however you want.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
In Field phase only certain attacks transfer you into Duel phase, while Duel phase has a sort of "combo limiter" in that once you hit your opponent enough, the game automatically boots you back to field phase. A super activation resets this limiter, apparently. IsmaR IsmaR posted a nifty video explaining these intricacies in the "how do you feel about phase shifts?" thread if you want more info.

Karter_90

Smash Cadet
Since I unlocked Shadow Mewtwo I've been playing as him and he's loads of fun but I can't just go against the Iron League opponents with a weak Pokémon. It's still only about level 13 or so. Will need to play against other league rivals.

The GamePad was the only option, since this was a demo, and not the full game. Still, I had issues with knowing when to defend, along with knowing how to use the different attack commands.
The demo is awful because they only offered players to try it out with the GamePad which is the worst thing they could've done. The retail game itself allows various controllers (GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller, Hori Pokkén Arcade and any 3rd party Wii U controllers that recognise as the WUPC).

I've to say after playing with the Gioteck GC-2 I can't go back to the WUPC.

Life

Smash Hero
Yo, can you get grabbed out of wakeup buffered super? Trying to determine whether I should be salty at the internet or salty at a game mechanic I didn't expect to exist.

EDIT: Answer is yes according to someone on Discord. <__________<

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Each Burst Attack seemingly still falls under the Attack Triangle.

Meaning (command) grabs lose to attacks and jumping, counterattacks still lose to (perfectly timed) grabs and shields, etc.

Despite no counterattack beating normal attack supers, Burst Attacks also score critical hits if the Attack Triangle aligns.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Each Burst Attack seemingly still falls under the Attack Triangle.

Meaning (command) grabs lose to attacks and jumping, counterattacks still lose to (perfectly timed) grabs and shields, etc.

Despite no counterattack beating normal attack supers, Burst Attacks also score critical hits if the Attack Triangle aligns.
Who has a counter burst?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Garchomp (has armor), Weavile (anti air that also does critical hits to anyone jumping, apparently), and Machamp, off the top of my head.

To give you a better idea, you can use these to break out mid-combo during certain moves. I did it to Pika Libre's Wild Charge.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Chandelure's is also a Counter, as far as I know.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Hi guys, been playing Pokken Tournament for about a week now. The game is really fun. I main Braixen and plan on secondarying Shadow Mewtwo. No, I'm not the type of guy who will use that block string infinite. I just really like how he plays.

Going back to Braixen, I really love how she handles in this game. Her "enhance" mechanic is also very interesting and makes using her supports fun. Her personality is also fun. And that Synergy burst is also fun.

Shadow Mewtwo may need some more personality, but his glass cannon like play style is interesting. Has a lot of fun moves as well. But man is he tricky.

Personally, I don't think the gamepad is that bad of the option.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Been playing Pokkén for the past week and really loving it. I've played the Ferrum League more-so than online. The final Shadow Mewtwo fight was really fun. A bit challenging for a newbie but after retrying and learning more about the game it was really satisfying to finally beat it.

I'm halfway through the Iron League so after that I'll focus more on online and trying out other characters and learning their combos and what they have to offer. Lucario is my main and I've adapted to how he plays and really like it; might have some bias though since he's my favourite Pokémon.

I love the trainer customisation in this game; such a great variety and loves of features to make your character look unique. The outfits are really nice too. I like how Nia also gets her own outfits. I keep her in the training outfit since I like how she has her hair tied up in a ponytail and it just seems appropriate since she's like our coach.

Any of you plan to get the Hori controller? I'm not sure if I should get it since the gamepad works fine for me.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I might get the Hori Controller for my birthday or something, but the gamepad does it's job for me.

I've already beaten the entire ferrum league myself. Took a lot of time, the final league may not have even been worth it, but it was an interesting training experience.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Does anyone feel like that they should reduce the damage just a little? I feel as if the pokemon do way too much damage?

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Does anyone feel like that they should reduce the damage just a little? I feel as if the pokemon do way too much damage?
Maybe a bit
I know Machamp is supposed to be rewarded for getting in, but over half my health from one grab is a bit much.

Life

Smash Hero
I would generally like slightly larger health pools and a slightly longer timer to go with them, but that might be on account of the time I had over 300 health or whatever and still managed to get oneshotted by Gengar's super

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Gengar is meant to have an amazing super and burst mode though due to how long it takes to actually have it fill up. Same thing with Mewtwo. Thats how the balance works.

Spirst

I'm also in the boat that moves do too much damage. Though I play Shadow Mewtwo and my total health is like 5 HP so yeah. I also think the combo damage reduction mechanic is a bit too much. If HP was increased/moves did less damage, I think the combo damage reduction can also be toned down a bit. Longer strings shouldn't do less damage than two individual moves that are a part of said string. That's just stupid.

Some other gripes I have are that you can't tech throws, burst mode changes how the attack triangle works (light armor y...), and knockdown is too simplistic. Even outside of Smash, there's rolls, backdashes, delayed wakeups, and other options outside of just a forced getup and then rock paper scissors to see if you got up safely or if the opponent did one of the 3 options that beat what you did. All in all though, the game is a lot of fun and better than I thought it'd be but I think it can be even better.

Last edited:

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
This game is scary to play because of how a freaking Machamp randomly kills you out of nowhere with like 2 attacks

Last edited:
Top Bottom