• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Pokkén Tournament GD/Social - Poké Center Redux Version

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Original thread here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/pokken-fighters-its-an-actual-thing-now.340170/

After the Wii U version finally releasing, we're proud to unveil our newest sub-category, dedicated specifically for Pokkén Tournament!

Being originally a speculation thread made shortly after the tech demo, this General Discussion/Social is the continuation of the previous one in the NintenZone/Poké Center. Anything from the arcade/Wii U versions, upcoming in-person/online tournaments, possible future updates, and so on goes here. So long as they're not violating the global Terms and Rules, any general topic is valid here.

We do, however, ask that you keep all online matchmaking and any discussion relating to it to the stickied thread here.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What are everyone's thoughts on the characters they played? Pikachu and Lucario feel a bit iffy imo for some reason as they just don't click with me, Charizard is a ****ing beast, but Gengar...Woah baby, that's a crazy fun moveset with so much stuff to mess about with

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
This...is going to take some getting used to. I've never been competent at any fighting games other than Smash, so I have to learn a lot of stuff that veterans of more traditional fighters already know instinctively.

Anyone who can point me toward somewhere that explains how classic fighting game meta works would be a huge help.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I generally don't play fighting games too deeply so I just hop around and get good at any of them so I can crush my friends and family no matter the circumstances. But for now I'm sticking to Garchomp, I'm enjoying the power and I like using brute force combined with some speed. About 12 story battles in, and I'm undefeated

Life

Smash Hero
Having only been able to play the game since 1AM this morning, I have to say the control scheme does feel a little odd. Have to figure out what moves are most generally useful and practice them until they're second nature, then work in the rest of the moveset over time, I guess.

Gonna learn the game on Weavile, I think. Fastfalling PogChamp

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Loving Weavile so far...even after only about an hour of gameplay...

Already learning some neat tricks with him involving a few of his projectiles...

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Really Enjoying this game so far, and the future of this game looks optimistic from all the support both developers and the community have given. It feels strange saying that Project M is no longer the Black Sheep of Smashboards...

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
Braixen is probably my ultimate main and character to use. She's extremely fun and have great long range and up close attacks! Her side Pokemon attack in the field phrase is a great move to use to dodge and attack back and can also cause a phrase shift when hit.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I'm not going to have access to the game for a while, but I am going to take the plunge once the funds align. I can't wait until Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo get more analysis, because I'm really interested in how they work. Mewtwo especially looks like a lot of fun (Hyper Beam for days, brah).

WusijiDR

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wusiji
I don't think I've ever felt more comfortable with a character in a fighting game like I am with Lucario. I love how diverse and tactical they made this game.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'm salty that a CPU Suicune ruined my Shadow Mewtwo's record in Free Battle...and there's no way to erase records unless I delete all the data for the game. >_>

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Its interesting that this game has a reverse crouch to do anti-airs. Those posses that they do though. Gardevoir's like "wanna see my butt?"

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Its interesting that this game has a reverse crouch to do anti-airs. Those posses that they do though. Gardevoir's like "wanna see my butt?"
Suicune's high stance is this majestic-as-hell waterbending pose. I wear, some of these stances were designed to also be taunts.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Weavile's looks like it's charging an attack. I like using it just to scare people.

:068:s is full swag. When I'm absolutely scaring someone in Ranked, I like to walk up and just pose for them while they sit in shield.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I've dabbled in other fighters before but never get super into them.

so far it seems many people are the same. the mechanics took me a lot of the solo campaign to learn to where I feel I understand what is happening, but then you fight the guy that like, only goes for grabs. or will hit their super when it's completely neutral. seeing them just stand there after you shield it...:007:

Life

Smash Hero
Finally getting a grasp on the mechanics as I play through the single-player mode.

Duel Phase Weavile seems pretty good. Back A is a super neat whiff punish tool. Icicles are fun I guess, gotta learn every character's antiair options versus them tho. My super simple combo is divekick X (or was it backX?) AAAAA.

On the other hand, bots are teaching me that Field Phase Jump X is good when it's pretty clearly not. And yet I can't bring myself to stop doing it because they never block it and they never punish it on block. Ugh, that's gonna be painful when I start doing real matches...

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Going through Ferrum League. I've already unlocked the Red League and got through it once. Still undefeated there minus the two times I had to face Shadow Mewtwo. Second time he had over 800 HP and took me down within a few hits. His burst attack knocked about half of my HP. >_>

In the regular battle mode with CPUs, I've lost to Suicune once as Shadow Mewtwo...it ruined my record for him. Still salty by that. >_>

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Man, the bots are dumb in this game. Besides being able to combo flawlessly (besides boss Shadow Mewtwo lol) they'll just walk into attacks and especially projectiles without fail, even at the highest level.

Guess tomorrow's going to be the start of my online career since I unlocked everything. Is the blue crystal stage banned from online? The giant synergy item is a part of it and it seems mighty OP.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
In Red League. Currently Ranked 50 and I lost to a Chandelure without winning a single round. Counter is OP on Chandelure. >_>

Edit: And I couldn't counter Weavile...there's another loss on my 1 player record...

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
In Red League. Currently Ranked 50 and I lost to a Chandelure without winning a single round. Counter is OP on Chandelure. >_>

Edit: And I couldn't counter Weavile...there's another loss on my 1 player record...
I'm just over half way through the Chroma League currently. The fights aren't too difficult until the AI gets a good hit on you. Just from that one hit they can flawlessly combo you. Don't let single-player losses get to you, though. I think I have a 95% win rate. Lost a few times to characters with ranged attacks that go across the map, and flawless combos from the likes of Charizard and Garchomp.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
This...is going to take some getting used to. I've never been competent at any fighting games other than Smash, so I have to learn a lot of stuff that veterans of more traditional fighters already know instinctively.

Anyone who can point me toward somewhere that explains how classic fighting game meta works would be a huge help.
From what I've figured out, it seems that, by default, Y does ranged attacks and X does homing attacks in Field Phase, while in Duel Phase, they change to light attacks and heavy attacks respectively. The A button is essentially special moves that differ between characters (Pikachu uses Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, etc. while Lucario has Aura Sphere, Force Palm, etc.). In addition to having a lot of the standard fighting game combos though, I've noticed that, especially in Duel Phase, a lot of moves are executed using the same "one button + one direction" input that we're all so used to from Smash, although that could just be me maining Pikachu so much. Feel free to correct me on anything if I said something dumb.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Since stat ups seem to work online I've been doing some research... Not sure if there's a place for this yet so I'm going to leave my findings here.

Attack ups have a stronger effect then defense. Max attack is about a 10% increase while defense is maybe 7%. Synergy increases attack and defense while in burst roughly the same as attack and defense points do while in burst, though in long combos with max stats there'll be a difference of one point of damage in favor of attack and defense. Don't think there's even an extra second of time to use burst, though.

To me strategy seems to be the most effective, since it makes Jirachi (the one I tested) charge twice as fast and claims to effect everything else about the supports positively.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
From what I've figured out, it seems that, by default, Y does ranged attacks and X does homing attacks in Field Phase, while in Duel Phase, they change to light attacks and heavy attacks respectively. The A button is essentially special moves that differ between characters (Pikachu uses Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, etc. while Lucario has Aura Sphere, Force Palm, etc.). In addition to having a lot of the standard fighting game combos though, I've noticed that, especially in Duel Phase, a lot of moves are executed using the same "one button + one direction" input that we're all so used to from Smash, although that could just be me maining Pikachu so much. Feel free to correct me on anything if I said something dumb.
No, I get the controls and all. It's more the flow of the match and knowing which attacks work best when that I have to basically learn from scratch.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
No, I get the controls and all. It's more the flow of the match and knowing which attacks work best when that I have to basically learn from scratch.
Oh, well, in that case, there's not much I can think of outside of simply playing it for a bit. Thankfully, I find this game to be a lot more easier to understand than most fighters.

I guess one thing I could say is that it may be a good idea to figure out what moves transition into Duel Phase since that's where you deal out most of your damage. Otherwise, I think the in-game advanced tutorials do a good job of explaining the finer details of what exactly goes on during a match.

Honestly, a lot of it comes down to mostly trial-and-error and experimenting with the mechanics for a bit. It's all overwhelming at first, but it gets easier later on.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well I just beat the Ferrum League and possibly unlocked mostly everything...

Weavile's without a doubt going to be my main for the long run...however Mewtwo seems to be making a case for himself as a secondary, his attacks and animations look so frikkin cool...he's got some decent range on his attacks and some pretty good projectiles as well...I'm still leaning towards Sceptile and Garchomp as I initially did, but Gardevoir and Blaziken are looking like fun characters as well...

I haven't really played with too many characters as of now outside of the Combo Dojo, to see what they can do...but from what I see some have caught my interest... I also haven't had the chance to use Shadow Mewtwo yet...I know I can access him with the amiibo card but since that doesn't unlock him permanently there wasn't too much of a point using it again until I unlock him for real...

As of now Braixen's looking like my least favourite character in the game, I'm really not a fan of how they portrayed her in this game...

Last edited:

Count Bleck

Smash Cadet
The customization options in this game are ludicrous

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtz4iDgcEJQ

Seems Shadow Mewtwo has a blockstring infinite. Not even hard to use. At least it only works at close range, I suppose. Even though it cuts his HP he'll still win by % since his HP is lower then everybody else's.

Tonight's probably going to be the last night to get any ranked matches in before it's filled with spammy Shadow Mewtwos if at all. Probably going to get patched up real fast though.

Karter_90

Smash Cadet
Enjoying the game so far but the Chroma League looks like it'll take ages to get to the top and super monotonous. Especially with Nia always saying the crappy advice. Almost there so might as well do it sooner or later.

I still get my ass whooped easily online mode so need more training.

Life

Smash Hero
Especially with Nia always saying the crappy advice.
You know there are like three ways to turn that off right

also re: shadow mewtwo infinite blockstring: my get-off-my-lawn grew-up-with-no-patches instincts tell me that even if Pokken received no further patches, players could simply avoid blocking in any situation where they think it might be a possibility--charge attack makes a fair substitute for blocking in many situations. It'll probably still get patched out, though, for the sake of newbie to mid-level players.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Just so you know you can turn off the characters voices if they annoy you guys...

I'd rather learn the game's mechanics on my own rather than hearing someone chirping in my ear constantly...usually I understand what I could've done better if lose a battle...

Karter_90

Smash Cadet
You know there are like three ways to turn that off right

also re: shadow mewtwo infinite blockstring: my get-off-my-lawn grew-up-with-no-patches instincts tell me that even if Pokken received no further patches, players could simply avoid blocking in any situation where they think it might be a possibility--charge attack makes a fair substitute for blocking in many situations. It'll probably still get patched out, though, for the sake of newbie to mid-level players.
'course I know but in doing so, I'd also be losing the voices of the other characters that can speak so it's a win-lose type of situation.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Chandelure's most effective punish when a Time Out is approaching and you know you're going to win:

Confirmed to yield massive amounts of salt :secretkpop:

Life

Smash Hero
'course I know but in doing so, I'd also be losing the voices of the other characters that can speak so it's a win-lose type of situation.
One of those options is turning off ingame advice specifically. You'll still hear her out of game, but this seems closest to what you want.

(The others are using the language options, or just muting voice volume entirely.)

Karter_90

Smash Cadet
One of those options is turning off ingame advice specifically. You'll still hear her out of game, but this seems closest to what you want.

(The others are using the language options, or just muting voice volume entirely.)
Hm, I'll give that a try.

Btw, wish stages were bigger 'cause they feel pretty restrictive and small.

Life

Smash Hero
I don't really feel the same way, but then, I play a small character (Weavile), so there's more room relative to my character than the rest of the cast anyway.

Who do you play?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Ranked 44 in Chroma League currently. In Ferrum League, I've only lost two matches in Red League, but after 4 or 5 runs in Chroma League, I haven't lost a match. I find that surprising. Maybe it's due to being able to use Reshiram and Cresselia as assists...

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I just realized, we could really use emotes of the Pokkén characters, and maybe even a way to display our Pokkén main in our user information. Any way we can ask the site staff if such a thing could happen?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I just realized, we could really use emotes of the Pokkén characters, and maybe even a way to display our Pokkén main in our user information. Any way we can ask the site staff if such a thing could happen?
That's a pretty good idea. There's an empty slot to fit it on out profiles, too. Thing is, I don't think there are any stock-icon-esque emotes in Pokken to take from, so we'd have to make our own or have someone make them for the site.

Also, while we're talking main emotes, am I the only one here that thinks they should combine the Smash 3DS Main and Wii U Main icons as a single Smash 4 Main icon?

Top Bottom