• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Video Game World Championships - August 14, 2010

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
http://www.pokemonvgc.com/

American regionals:
Saturday, May 8, 2010 - Seattle, WA
Saturday, May 15, 2010 - San Francisco, CA
Saturday, May 22, 2010 - Phoenix, AZ
Saturday, May 29, 2010 - Dallas, TX
Saturday, June 5, 2010 - Atlanta, GA
Saturday, June 12, 2010 - Newark, NJ
June 25—27, 2010 - Indianapolis, IN (last chance qualifier)

European regionals:
Saturday, May 29, 2010 - Birmingham, England
Saturday, June 12, 2010 - Lyon, France
Saturday, June 5, 2010 - Cologne, Germany
Saturday, June 19, 2010 - Madrid, Spain

Worlds:
August 14 and 15, 2010 - Kona, Hawaii (last chance qualifier)

Some differences between this year's VGC and the last:
- Flat Battle, GS Cup replaces last year's Double Battle, Double Cup rules. This means that each player is allowed to use two of the following in a battle:
Mewtwo
Lugia
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina

- Entry is no longer random selection, instead it is first come, first served

- The maximum number of participants is now 768 in the US (about the same number of people who entered the Philadelphia regional last year) and 256 in Europe

- You do not need to enter the tournament to collect the event pokemon this year

- Nationals and Worlds now have last-chance qualifiers

- Top 16 at each American regional gets an invitation to Nationals, but only the winner gets a free ride (though 2nd-4th place get reimbursed $300)

- Top 4 at each regional win a DSi

- Winners of a regional are not allowed to enter any others

So, with all the info finally released, who here is going to go to this?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Nobody here is going to go to this because Shoddy Battle >>>>>> Super-slow In-game Gen 4

The finals will probably last like 3 or 4 hours LOL

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Not by much considering every turn takes like 2 minutes to happen.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but there's fewer turns on average. I've won in two before, and most battles don't last much more than seven or eight.

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
I like how this thread isn't locked yet.

We/Spire/Chill should put up an announcement saying we (the PokeCenter) are uninterested in VGC tourneys or any tourney actually involving DSs and Wifi.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
tbh I really don't understand the smashboards hatred for VGC. This mode of play is pretty fun if you actually try it, even if you can't play it on shoddy. In fact I play it to the exclusion of standard OU nowadays.

If you ever wanted to try a mode of play where Stealth Rock is a non-issue and Garchomp isn't broken, this would be the one.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Its not its the VGC oh no.
Its the fact that its on the DS.

Shoddy Battle is the way of battling around here.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I don't like spending a month to build and EV Train, get all the moves for, and get a team running. Nor do most other people. That's all :/

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
If you really can't stand it that much just practice on NBS, from what I've heard they've ironed out most of the glitches in their doubles mode. That way you only have to breed your team when you're about to use it at the tournament, which really isn't a tall order anymore thanks to RNG abuse.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Nobody here really wants to play doubles.
So Shoddy Battle suffices with its singles.

Besides the only REAL glitch in need of ironing out is Acid Rain LOL stupid In-game coding.

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
I don't like spending a month to build and EV Train, get all the moves for, and get a team running. Nor do most other people. That's all :/
10agreeds.

If you allowed AR/Pokesav/some sort of hacking device so one could get a team going in like 10-15 min, then we'd be interested.

Once you go Shoddy, you don't go back.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
Pursuit won't even OHKO Lati@s if they don't switch out, and they can just Protect and kill you with the other pokemon in two turns if they have to. Tyranitar is really not hard to kill in two turns with Grass Knot, Earth Power, and Aura Sphere everywhere.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Pursuit won't even OHKO Lati@s if they don't switch out
It sorta does.

and they can just Protect and kill you with the other pokemon in two turns if they have to.
Tell me the logic in this since hardly anything carries protect anymore AND I don't even understand what you're really trying to say.

Tyranitar is really not hard to kill in two turns with Grass Knot, Earth Power, and Aura Sphere everywhere.
Too bad Grass Knot, Earth Power, and Aura Sphere are only seen consistently on about 3 Pokemon in the entire Metagame, and in fact, are NOT everywhere. You're also not switching a Heatran, Togekiss, or Celebi INTO TTar to fire off these moves considering you have a chance of you know, DYING.

So yeah TTar on Lati@s. Instant Acid Raid.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Expert Belt, CB, and LO varients get an easy KO factoring in SR and SS damage, and if you're running Scarf you're probably sending it in on a weakened Latias for easy prey.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
It sorta does.
No, it doesn't.

Tell me the logic in this since hardly anything carries protect anymore AND I don't even understand what you're really trying to say.
Everyone and their mother uses Protect in doubles, in part because explosion is so common and because it simply eases prediction.

Too bad Grass Knot, Earth Power, and Aura Sphere are only seen consistently on about 3 Pokemon in the entire Metagame, and in fact, are NOT everywhere. You're also not switching a Heatran, Togekiss, or Celebi INTO TTar to fire off these moves considering you have a chance of you know, DYING.
I'm talking things like Ludicolo, Abomasnow, Dialga, Palkia, you know, the big Kyogre checks. Heatran is almost never used and Celebi isn't even allowed.

So yeah TTar on Lati@s. Instant Acid Raid.
No. I'm not bsing here, just...no.

Expert Belt, CB, and LO varients get an easy KO factoring in SR and SS damage, and if you're running Scarf you're probably sending it in on a weakened Latias for easy prey.
If you try to base your strategy around setting up SR, or using choice items in this mode of play...good luck with that. You have to realize, this is a very different metagame from standard OU.

Edit: Here, take a look at this: http://www.phpbbplanet.com/skarmblisscom/viewtopic.php?t=204&mforum=skarmblisscom
It's a little outdated because it's based on last year's rules, but some of it still has use (particularly the parts about Protect, Fake Out, and Trick Room).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
in this mode of play...
Nobody cares about that mode of play.

Nintendo is less legit that the standard metagame, really. Overall singles is preferred over doubles, Nintendo messes up things by letting ubers in, making things like Garchomp in as if they were Caterpies.

You're on the wrong board if you want DS Battles, Nintendo rules, AND doubles support. Go on Serebii for friendly responses.

Besides everyone knows SR is useless in Doubles, but I wouldn't say Choice is useless considering you should be able to hit at least ONE of your opponents Pokemon hard with whatever choice move :3

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Maybe we should ask spire to reopen that wifi battle place i made a while back ( it was never closed, but its last post is over a month old)

Wrath`

Smash Master
I'd only these battles if I could AR a completely legitimate team and we use OU tiers, I don't mind doubles. It's just ubers are UBER for a reason

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
I'd only these battles if I could AR a completely legitimate team and we use OU tiers, I don't mind doubles. It's just ubers are UBER for a reason
The problem is, you get a lot of smart**ses at these things trying to push that to the limit, which is why they really can't allow it.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
warning: people need to chill out
use this thread for talking about VGC10 and not for bashing ds play

i dont understand what this hate is all about

i love playing on the ds. i just use shoddy for the convenience of the team builder. wheres the dubz?

practiced like every night for 2 months straight for the last one, starting training for vgc10 now. cant wait.

Wrath`

Smash Master
The problem is, you get a lot of smart**ses at these things trying to push that to the limit, which is why they really can't allow it.
I have had one question about these things, why do they not use Standard OU metagame? I am sure it easy to obtain. Cause Celibii is in way worse than some of the allowed ubers. I mean I just hate an all ubers team just because they have good stats.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
I have had one question about these things, why do they not use Standard OU metagame? I am sure it easy to obtain. Cause Celibii is in way worse than some of the allowed ubers. I mean I just hate an all ubers team just because they have good stats.
Standard OU does take too long on the DS, and I imagine event-only legends would be a pain to check with all the wondercard nonsense and such.
Plus the main thing to realize about allowing ubers is, you get to use them too. Counter their brokenness with your own.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Thanks, Chibo. I was scrolling down the first page and wondering what is wrong with you people.

I've never attended a VGC before but I've been considering making this my first. Anyone plan on attending in SF?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'll be at the event in Newark

ALso note that they arent doing the random lottery system anymore and are instead during first come first serve, and upp'd the cap which was @ 128 people last year.

Bout freggin time

Though unfortunately I'm a lot worse at this 2 uber doubles than normal OU doubles.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Don't care.

Nobody is going there anyways.
I like how this thread isn't locked yet.

We/Spire/Chill should put up an announcement saying we (the PokeCenter) are uninterested in VGC tourneys or any tourney actually involving DSs and Wifi.
What is it with this attitude? You can't make a blanket statement about the board that isn't true.

Not everyone here uses Shoddy, this board was not created solely for Shoddy, just because YOU like Shoddy does NOT mean that everyone else does. There is nothing exclusively Shoddy about this board. At all. So instead of gangraping anyone who even suggests that someone else in the world plays on DS -- you know, the actual game -- just don't post in threads that do concern the DS and Wi-Fi. What's so hard about that?

Anyways, unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to attend this...the closest one to me is in NJ and even that's a good 2 - 3 hour drive, which is a little too far for me to consider for a tourney. Especially one I know I'll suck royally at, since when I do play competitive Pokémon I never use Ubers or double battles.

Looks pretty cool, though. Good luck, Chibo and Chill.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I just find it interesting that a thread similar to this has been locked before.

Times change? :/

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
That was for a different reason though.

But looking back on it, UltiMario, do you just post in every thread like this and say "nobody cares, doubles sucks, shoddy > all"?

Anyway, I'm going to try my hand at the last chance qualifier in Indianapolis. I've been practicing for this since Japan released their rules in October, so I think I'm pretty well prepared for it.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
VGC is extremely popular and it's a chance to meet your fellow pokecenter members should they be attending the same tourney as you are.

What's not to like? :D

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
But looking back on it, UltiMario, do you just post in every thread like this and say "nobody cares, doubles sucks, shoddy > all"?
Well not every thread is about VGC, or DS vs Shoddy, or Singles vs Doubles, actually, I think this is the ONLY thread that's like that... so no.

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
What is it with this attitude? You can't make a blanket statement about the board that isn't true.

Not everyone here uses Shoddy, this board was not created solely for Shoddy, just because YOU like Shoddy does NOT mean that everyone else does. There is nothing exclusively Shoddy about this board. At all. So instead of gangraping anyone who even suggests that someone else in the world plays on DS -- you know, the actual game -- just don't post in threads that do concern the DS and Wi-Fi. What's so hard about that?
Last time I saw a thread like this, it was shut down faster than Taunt shuts down Blissey. So I thought no one in this forum really cares about this tourney stuff.

I MADE AN ASSUMPTION. No need to pull out the flamethrower, Firus.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
Seattle regional is going on right now. From what I've heard they nearly reached the limit for seniors.

Edit: 493 people.

Edit 2: Also the winner was the person who won Phoenix last year.

Top Bottom