• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
Non Special Attacks Discussion:
These are my predictions as to how their non-special attacks will function. I'm basing this on how the character looks, and how other similar characters function.

Charizard:
i see charizard having a meteor smash (like C Falcon's) for his D-Air. With his giant feet it just looks so obvious. I'm torn between him having strong physical tilts and smashes, with a mix of bowser, mewtwo, and Gdorf; and giving him some more fire based tilts like samus/mario. I imagine him having a lot of tail/horn//head attacks, but it would be cool to give him a mario-ish Forward Smash (or a samus Dtilt), with some kind of quick puff of flame. Charizard will be for when you want to lay down some serious hurt, while using his gliding for excellent recovery.

Ivysaur:
Probably goin to be using a lot of vine attacks and leaf attacks(both have been confirmed in one way or another). It would be cool to give the leaf attacks some sword attributes to give him a well rounded ground game with some good spacing and range, while using his specials to handle any attackers from above. (Off-Topic: I already asked if anyone else thinks this, but i'm going to assume that Ivysaur's B^ while on the ground or not near a ledge grabs onto the nearest enemy above you and pulls them down) I doubt that he will use his stubby feet for anything other than maybe a B-Air or a D-tilt. So think of him as a cross between yoshi and young link. I see him as the guy who can handle any situation well.

Squirtle:
Squirtle has had a sideways punch confirmed from coro-coro, which im guessing is either a Fward-smash or a F-tilt. I see Squirtle being almost a combination of Bowser(his shell based attacks), Mario(range/size of attacks), and ice climbers(speed and size, not the hammers). I would love him having a D-Smash like bowser, but not as powerful and much quicker. Maybe a mario-ish neutral air and up-tilt. As for the rest of his attacks, probably going to be quick slaps, shell-based spins, and at LEAST one kind of skull bash (Up-Smash) that doesn't IMO suck like pikachu's. Squirtle will be fast and annoying, good for picking on bigger opponents or during a one-on-one, but will suffer slightly while in the fray.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
These are my predictions as to how their non-special attacks will function. I'm basing this on how the character looks, and how other similar characters function.

Charizard:
i see charizard having a meteor smash (like C Falcon's) for his D-Air. With his giant feet it just looks so obvious. I'm torn between him having strong physical tilts and smashes, with a mix of bowser, mewtwo, and Gdorf; and giving him some more fire based tilts like samus/mario. I imagine him having a lot of tail/horn//head attacks, but it would be cool to give him a mario-ish Forward Smash (or a samus Dtilt), with some kind of quick puff of flame. Charizard will be for when you want to lay down some serious hurt, while using his gliding for excellent recovery.
charizard should have fire based attacks. I don't think he is the overwealming power type. Maybe toss his wings in there too. he will be more mobile then people think. He won't have the Bowser like uber Up smash. he will be i think big and mobile.

Ivysaur:
Probably goin to be using a lot of vine attacks and leaf attacks. It would be cool to give the leaf attacks some sword attributes to give him a well rounded ground game with some good spacing and range, while using his specials to handle any attackers from above. (Off-Topic: I already asked if anyone else thinks this, but i'm going to assume that Ivysaur's B^ while on the ground or not near a ledge grabs onto the nearest enemy above you and pulls them down) I doubt that he will use his stubby feet for anything other than maybe a B-Air or a D-tilt. So think of him as a cross between yoshi and young link. I see him as the guy who can handle any situation well.
He will Probs use his vines and he leaf. his leaf is confirmed by coro-coro. his dash attack looks like his vine. he will have a large disjointed hit-box. As for the pulling down it is an interesting concept. but it is called vine "whip" for a reason. i can see him getting combod easily. he won't have many finishers will he?

Squirtle:
Squirtle has had a sideways punch confirmed from coro-coro, which im guessing is either a Fward-smash or a F-tilt. I see Squirtle being almost a combination of Bowser(his shell based attacks), Mario(range/size of attacks), and ice climbers(speed and size, not the hammers). I would love him having a D-Smash like bowser, but not as powerful and much quicker. Maybe a mario-ish neutral air and up-tilt. As for the rest of his attacks, probably going to be quick slaps, shell-based spins, and at LEAST one kind of skull bash (Up-Smash) that doesn't IMO suck like pikachu's. Squirtle will be fast and annoying, good for picking on bigger opponents or during a one-on-one, but will suffer slightly while in the fray.
squirtle won't be fast. but will be able to maneuver round the battlefield well. as for everything else what you said is spot on

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace

Charizard:

Ivysaur:
Probably goin to be using a lot of vine attacks and leaf attacks(both have been confirmed in one way or another). It would be cool to give the leaf attacks some sword attributes to give him a well rounded ground game with some good spacing and range, while using his specials to handle any attackers from above. (Off-Topic: I already asked if anyone else thinks this, but i'm going to assume that Ivysaur's B^ while on the ground or not near a ledge grabs onto the nearest enemy above you and pulls them down) I doubt that he will use his stubby feet for anything other than maybe a B-Air or a D-tilt. So think of him as a cross between yoshi and young link. I see him as the guy who can handle any situation well.

Squirtle:

There wasn't any leaf attack shown. And don't say corocoro because that looked like a tackle.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Can't wait to use PT, I just hope Charizard gets Seismic Toss, grab them fly and do a few loops then bring them into the ground. That would be epic.

fluffasaurus

Smash Rookie
Red is a hell of a lot better than when people think Ash should be in. But I don't think he's suitable to fight in SSB.
I totally agree. why the heck would you but Ash in SSBB, that would be so stupid. Red is way better.:psycho::psycho::psycho:

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
Heh, if ash was the pokemon trainer, they would have to make Pikachu his. And that would be weird. Anyway, I think that Ivysaur's attacks will be based on leaf swipes, but I also think that they will be lunge attacks to give him more range. And I'd assume his tilts to be Vine attacks. I have trouble imagining his smash attacks. I guess THEY might actually use the vines. In this pic he seems to be using his vines for a dach attack (unless he lunges like i had guessed)

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
Ya, I'd guess that most of his attacks will be with his vines. What I'm really curious about is his air-game. It's pretty much doomed, but I'd like to see how it will play out.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
Ya, I'd guess that most of his attacks will be with his vines. What I'm really curious about is his air-game. It's pretty much doomed, but I'd like to see how it will play out.
he will probs use his stubby feet for his dair. His vines would work in the air. But him being on four legs will be really odd

Rosadiddly

Smash Cadet
Who here is planning on maining PT for the sole reason that he's your favorite character, period? and not because he looks unique and has three movesets and all that jazz.

I mean, I'm a huuuge pokemon fan and went crazy when he was updated! I would've mained even if all he could do was throw pokeballs. Anyone else like the pokemon trainer for who he is and not because he's gonna kick some major a**?

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Who here is planning on maining PT for the sole reason that he's your favorite character, period? and not because he looks unique and has three movesets and all that jazz.

I mean, I'm a huuuge pokemon fan and went crazy when he was updated! I would've mained even if all he could do was throw pokeballs. Anyone else like the pokemon trainer for who he is and not because he's gonna kick some major a**?
Me, of course. XP

Knyaguy

Smash Lord

I will, and maybe wario.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman

me. him and metaknight because he was my most wanted.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
This is my answer to the threads main topic:

I think having the PT actually fight is a bad idea. I mean, sure, it can work to have him use items (e.g. pokeballs, pokedolls, etc.) as his main arsenal of weapons but that is not how a Pokemon trainer engages in combat. In all the Pokemon games, the main character does not engage in any form of physical combat. However, that does not mean the PT does not "fight." He fights with Pokemon (duh). In all the Pokemon games, every form of confrontation is dealt with Pokemon battles, nothing more and nothing less. To use Pokemon is what makes a Pokemon Trainer a "Pokemon Trainer." Taking that away is taking away the true meaning of his character.

So what I am saying is that I like the idea Sakurai came up with. Rather than fighting with his fists, the PT battles with Pokemon. The way he has in every Pokemon game.

Fawriel

Smash Master

The answer is "mu".

First off, it's quite possible that the character is going to suck competitively. The whole stamina thing is suspicious and could pose a major weakness. And considering how badly balanced Zelda/Sheik was, we can only hope.

Then there's the problem that I'm not sure how to answer because I don't like the Pokemon Trainer for who he is, for the simple reason that he is no one in particular. That's the whole point, you're supposed to identify with him. That's what I love, though, it's a perfect representation of how you play in the Pokemon games, applied to the Smash system. The idea to really have a Pokemon battle is thrilling.

So, what?

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
This is the greatest thread ever, just because you can read past posts up to thread 19.

Then laugh at all the flames!

*clap*

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I'm pretty happy with Pokemon Trainer's voice. I expected it to sound the way it did, although I don't think it's Rica Matsumoto doing his voice. I loved the way he yelled, "Ikuzo! San mittai!" I can only hope the English voice does as good a job....and that Sarah whatever her name is isn't doing the voice. ><;

Penguyen

Smash Journeyman
Notice that when the pokemon returns to the stage, it isn't present on the pedestal/platform. Instead it just appears from a burst of light where the pedestal is.

Rosadiddly

Smash Cadet
Susan who? I actually wouldn't mind at all if he sounded like Ash from the original english anime (was the voice actor's name Veronica Taylor?)

I'm just glad that he's getting voiced at all :D:D:D

Top Bottom