• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A rather strange way to use a Final Smash. Only the one Pokemon grabbed the Smash Ball, so it would've made more sense to have three types of Final Smashes (one for each Pokemon).

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
Yeah, the textbox is the saving grace of this FS. Other than that, at least it doesn't incorporate Mewtwo.

I dunno, I'm probably just being OCD-ish about it, but if it's such a homage to the games, how come there are three Pokemon attacking at the same time...
could be anime reference wend ash use conbination attack to send team rocket flying

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
A rather strange way to use a Final Smash. Only the one Pokemon grabbed the Smash Ball, so it would've made more sense to have three types of Final Smashes (one for each Pokemon).
Not really, They're just be shooting out Water, Fire, or Grass type beams if they were by themselves

I don't know why people are getting so mad because "it's unorginal" in their minds. I never once thought he'd summon a legendary pokemon (Mew or Rayquaza). I like it. Also were people *****ing about Mario's and Link's final smashes as well? They're not the most unique thing in the world...

-Knight

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
also the reason that is not Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, and Hydro Cannon is because nly the final evolutions of the starters can learn frenzy plant hydro cannon and blast burn.

meaning only charizard could doit

Sinn

Smash Lord
I have to say, Diddie's wasn't very creative...

Pit's doesn't look very powerful but at least is unique...plus you never see any other angels in Kid Icarus except Pit
Actually, in the dungeon level of each world, you can use your mallets that you've collected (which makes me wonder if they'll be in Brawl somewhere) and bread all the little statues scattered around the different rooms. Each one frees one centurion. Once you get to the boss's room, they appear and shoot at the boss. They're not that strong, and they can only take one shot before they croak, but if you save enough of them, they can help.

Yeah, the textbox is the saving grace of this FS. Other than that, at least it doesn't incorporate Mewtwo.

I dunno, I'm probably just being OCD-ish about it, but if it's such a homage to the games, how come there are three Pokemon attacking at the same time...

And this probably won't be the first time we see a giant beam across the screen.
Well, we already have two on two battles...maybe in the future there'll be three on three? I dunno. Maybe Red just likes breaking the rules.

And I think that now people are going to moan and complain about every Final Smash that functions similar to someone else's Final Smash...well what do they expect? Seriously, there are only so many ways to utterly crush your opponent.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I don't know why people are getting so mad because "it's unorginal" in their minds. I never once thought he'd summon a legendary pokemon (Mew or Rayquaza). I like it. Also were people *****ing about Mario's and Link's final smashes as well? They're not the most unique thing in the world...

-Knight

The difference here is that Mario's and Link's Final Smashes were new at the time we first saw them. "OHMYGOD REALLY POWERFUL ATTACK UNHEARD OF"
The attacks... work for them.

But considering that we are talking about not only Pokemon, who are inherently different from just about everything else and have a great deal of inherent potential of their own, but even three of them, the fact that Sakurai just went for the old "energy attack across the battlefield" again.... is rather disheartening.
Well, we already have two on two battles...maybe in the future there'll be three on three? I dunno. Maybe Red just likes breaking the rules.

And I think that now people are going to moan and complain about every Final Smash that functions similar to someone else's Final Smash...well what do they expect? Seriously, there are only so many ways to utterly crush your opponent.
The first statement seems unlikely, but it got me thinking. Maybe this FS qualifies as fair under Pokemon rules because you can have up to three opponents at the same time... hm.

And again, there were a lot more options here. I guess we got too used to Sakurai being incredibly brilliant and original so something mediocre just seems like a letdown. I mean, DK's FS makes you play a rhythm game or so. And I recently made a Final Smash for Gardevoir that is unnecessarily complicated and makes you play a small minigame as well... there are theoretically lots of different options.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
I think that his Final Smash only makes sense.

If you think about it, I'd rather him do that than have him send out like Mewtwo or something.

And besides, if each one had their own Final Smash built the same way, would it be as cool to see as all three together?
In My Opinion, No.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
The difference here is that Mario's and Link's Final Smashes were new at the time we first saw them. "OHMYGOD REALLY POWERFUL ATTACK UNHEARD OF"
The attacks... work for them.

But considering that we are talking about not only Pokemon, who are inherently different from just about everything else and have a great deal of inherent potential of their own, but even three of them, the fact that Sakurai just went for the old "energy attack across the battlefield" again.... is rather disheartening.

The first statement seems unlikely, but it got me thinking. Maybe this FS qualifies as fair under Pokemon rules because you can have up to three opponents at the same time... hm.

And again, there were a lot more options here. I guess we got too used to Sakurai being incredibly brilliant and original so something mediocre just seems like a letdown. I mean, DK's FS makes you play a rhythm game or so. And I recently made a Final Smash for Gardevoir that is unnecessarily complicated and makes you play a small minigame as well... there are theoretically lots of different options.
Yeah, I agree with you Fawriel. What I don't get is why smash fans have to suck up for every update Sakurai gives us.Are we not allowed to have an opinion because Sakurai's giving us daily updates? I'm thankful for the updates yes, but that's not the case in being dissapointed with this FS. It's the fact that this is the end result of the game that has no chance of changing.

Excuse me for being disheartened by the fact that instead of getting a legendary (Red final smash), we're getting a three poke laser beam FS. What fun about clicking A and having a laser beam fire. I want more interactive or engaging final smashes that involve the player like Diddy Kong or Bowser's final smash. I still like pT beyond all other PC's but it just makes me sad.

Sinn

Smash Lord
The way I see it...why give PT a legendary with a unique moveset that would only be controllable for a short time as opposed to making them their own character that you could use whenever you wanted...?

Fawriel

Smash Master
I don't think anyone really wanted a playable legendary... or, well, some people probably did, but that would be somewhat unrealistic.
It would have made sense to send out a big uber legendary like Mew, or, heck, both Ho-oh and Lugia or something like that. After all, the character is the Pokemon Trainer, who is bound to have more than three Pokemon in his team. The Smash Ball would grant him "the right" to send out a Pokemon for one attack that would otherwise be too powerful for the other players to compete with ( come on, some Pokemon are downright gods ).
Well, I guess now it grants him the right to send out three Pokemon. Mrr.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I always thought the legendary idea was pretty bad, especially if it was Mewtwo. Really, Red's final smash really makes sense. He is a 3 in 1 character, and Ivysaur, Charizard and Squirtle are the characters you play as, so why would they be replaced with another Pokemon that has nothing to do with Red as it is? Leave Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy and whoever else for the rare Poke Ball sightings. And keep Mewtwo as playable, of course. X)

Black/Light

Smash Master
The way I see it...why give PT a legendary with a unique moveset that would only be controllable for a short time as opposed to making them their own character that you could use whenever you wanted...?
Thats what Im trying to get. . .

If Red had any legendary pokemn than I would think that he would play with that for reg play and not just the starters.:ohwell: I naturely assumed tht does where the only pokemon he had.

And I don't see how Red could get a uber powerful legendary pokemon with Char being his only fin evol pokemon.:p
(Lol! Had to say that)

And why not save the whole legendary uber attack for. . . ya know, a playable legendary (Mew2 looks unhappy. . . your all forgetting him)?

Sure, the FS isn't nearly as orginal as it could have been. . . neither is Mario's (Super form of his B move that goes out and up) or Link's (attacks one person. . . ). But I would like to see how it works more because it looks like Ivy's beam holds them in a consant attack, Squirt's pushs them back and Char's acts like a one hit smash to send them flying.

smashbot226

Smash Master
It could still be better. THey could've used my previous ideas for the FS.

An arcing beam that varies in color, size, power, and effect.

They are different for each Pokemon.

Ivysaur(Solar Beam): Medium sized, medium powered, green, medium fast, and has the Lip's Stick effect.

Charizard(Fire Blast): Powerful, red, and wide, but slow and only has the fire effect.

Squirtle(Hydro Pump): Thin and weak, but the fastest, blue, and freezes.

Of course, it could still say, "It's super effective!" :laugh:

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
It could still be better. They could've used my previous ideas for the FS.

Ivysaur(Solar Beam): Medium sized, medium powered, green, medium fast, and has the Lip's Stick effect.

Charizard(Fire Blast): Powerful, red, and wide, but slow and only has the fire effect.

I think Ice Beam would be more suitable for that..especially if it's gonna freeze.. Actually Blizzard works too..but it isn't thin.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
You guys need some culture, lol. You don't understand, this FS is old school. Any one would have watched the original Pokemon series as a kid could recall this special combination. There are tons of hardcore pokemon fans out there, all of them would appreciate this FS more than unleash of a legendary, who RED have never caught with a pokeball.
Finally, this FS is very different from Samus' uber beam. RED or PT's FS's peak is at the closest range, compared to Samus' all range destroyer.

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
This is my fav final smash so far. I just like how it's each poke's ultimate attack combined and the "It's Super Effective" is a really nice touch.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
Waoh O_o

congrats Sakurai for making the world's most f'd up hitbox =P seriously

solarbeam shoot's straight across far length (probably moderate damage)

Sqirtle's Hydro Pump seems to hit high and low ( make use of those platforms!)

And anyone unlucky enough to be hit at close range get PWN3D by Charizard's Flamethrower ( mabey just majorly damaged by the fire....so when your pushed back, squirtle's+ Ivysaur's attack KOs you)

it's not just awsome........>_>... "It's SUPER EFFECTIVE! "

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman
This is one cool Final Smash, and it is an excuse to post more pics of Charizard in SSBB. :p

I'm really looking forward to Charizard being playable for the first time in the SSB series, I wonder what his trophies will look like.

I also think it's interesting when there is a little extra added to certain Final Smashes, like how the Pokémon Trainer's FS has a D/P styled text box appear throughout it.

A great Final Smash, one more reason to look forward to using the Pokémon Trainer.

It's so close, just a little over 2 months until Super Smash Bros. Brawl comes out, I absolutely know this game is going to live up to it's hype.

Stryks

Smash Hero
The final smash is godd, since its difernt from diddys, instead of combining all 3 pokemon using atatcks they already have as their B moves, this one unleashes all 3 pokemon and the most powerful moves of all 3 pokemon: Fire blast, solarbeam, and hydro pump...

still more original than diddys, but pales in comparison of the awesomness of Samuss, links final smash...

Sinn

Smash Lord
You guys need some culture, lol. You don't understand, this FS is old school. Any one would have watched the original Pokemon series as a kid could recall this special combination. There are tons of hardcore pokemon fans out there, all of them would appreciate this FS more than unleash of a legendary, who RED have never caught with a pokeball.
Finally, this FS is very different from Samus' uber beam. RED or PT's FS's peak is at the closest range, compared to Samus' all range destroyer.
I must have stopped watching before this but...at which point in the show did they do that? Because that's actually a pretty cool little nod to the anime if they did >.>

Ya know...I MAY have to main PT. I don't know yet, but I MAY have to do it.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
I must have stopped watching before this but...at which point in the show did they do that? Because that's actually a pretty cool little nod to the anime if they did >.>

Ya know...I MAY have to main PT. I don't know yet, but I MAY have to do it.
I don't ever recall Ash's Charizard Squirtle or Bulbasaur ever using those moves at the same time, and I've been a hardcore fan since 98. But i think he is referring to the fact that in certain situations ( Team Rocket, Natural disasters, etc) Ash was prone to sending out a bunch of his pokémon and having them attack in unison. This is certainly better than a legendary pokémon. Although Controlling Lugia would've rocked.
Plus we already have Mewtwo as a PC ( I hope he comes back), that should be enough legend for us all.

CommanderGrit

Smash Apprentice
It could still be better. THey could've used my previous ideas for the FS.

i actually think that Sakurai's is more creative than yours. . . all that really changed was Sakurai took your 3 and combined them into 1. . . minus the Effects, which aren't really needed anyways. I mean the point of a FINAL smash is to FINISH your opponent off. . . so i really see no point in a final smash having burn or flower effects that do damage over time. . .that would be really pointless. As for freezing, my guess is that that effect is reserved for the IceClimbers, and if he had given it to Squirtle too people like you would have complained about him "copying" final smashes like you are right now.

So to sum it up, Sakurai's professionally put together final smash is far superior to your weaker one (no offense), and I believe it is extremely unique and creative!!

Black/Light

Smash Master
How many pokemon do you all think will be in the game as a result of Pokemon Trainer being 3 fully playable pokemon in one?

I think that at best we will get one more new pokemon if Pichu leaves and Mew2/Puff return.

(I was just talking about this on another thread and thought that it would be interesting to see the thoughts of Pokemon Trainer fans)

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's pretty much the perfect Pokemon roster. Well, actually, I think Lucario's slot can be debatable....other choices like Gardevoir, Darkrai, Pachirisu etc in his place would be fine too.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Yeah, that's pretty much the perfect Pokemon roster. Well, actually, I think Lucario's slot can be debatable....other choices like Gardevoir, Darkrai, Pachirisu etc in his place would be fine too.
I concur;)

But it seems that like 4-5 seems to be a good number to you 3 given the fact that one "slot" has 3 full characters. I wonder how others feel about this number.

D

Deleted member

Eh, Gardevoir, Maybe. I can see how it would fit in but we could use someone new from the 4th Gen.

Darkrai, not as popular in my opinion.

Pachi- Who?

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Eh, Gardevoir, Maybe. I can see how it would fit in but we could use someone new from the 4th Gen.

Darkrai, not as popular in my opinion.

Gardevoir just feels like random Pokemon number #282 to me.

Nice choice, but I'm not sure if Darkrai's that popular. I think he'll most likely end up Pokeballed like every other Legendary. (Except Mewtwo, of course)

Cute, but something about little Electric rodents doesn't seem that appealing anymore..

Fawriel

Smash Master
How many pokemon do you all think will be in the game as a result of Pokemon Trainer being 3 fully playable pokemon in one?
See, the problem with this statement is that they aren't fully playable since you are forced to switch around.
I said it before and I'll say it again, I think the Pokemon Trainer is a way for Sakurai to appropriately represent Pokemon, a franchise with an absurd amount of potential characters, without actually giving them excessively many roster spots compared to Mario and Zelda.
The PT is one character. He has the effort of three characters put into him, but he counts as one.

I could come up with so much to argue that, but I'll just say this:
She is less random than Jigglypuff.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
I agree

More people need to play PMD. Gardevoir really isn't that random.

Nice choice, but I'm not sure if Darkrai's that popular. I think he'll most likely end up Pokeballed like every other Legendary. (Except Mewtwo, of course)
Well probably not in America, but he seems to very popular in Japan if his movie is any indication.

Cute, but something about little Electric rodents doesn't seem that appealing anymore..
At least he wouldn't be a clone, like Pichu. (I hope so...)

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I really don't think lucario is going to be in this game.

Pikachu, mewtwo, jigglypuff and Pokemon trainer with (charizard, venasaur, squirtle)

I think thats enough pokemon reps.

Btw this is possibly the greatest thread ever made just because of page 19.

Top Bottom