• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer B Move Discussion

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
yeah but when u think about it thunder jolt (pikachu's b) isnt even in the video game (it's in the TCG) so it's not like every pok'emon's moves have to be exactly like the video game.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Does anyone think charizard could use another fire based attack? Hopefully he'll have pokemon type based standard moves like pikachu and mewtwo.

I really hope Ivysaur's >B is razor leaf or something that is a signature grass type move.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
dude, ivysaur HAS no other "cool" attacks besides razor leaf and solarbeam.. and solarbeam is out of the question... unless you give him like mega drain or something..
looking on bulbapedia the only other moves he could use in smash are mega drain and leech seed

leech seed - shoots 2 seeds on foe if they hit the foe they use DI to escape it. ivysaur drains heath while the seeds are on them

mega drain - fires a beam out of his bulb. if the foe is caught in it it deals moderate damage and ivysaur drains the damage that they take.

like the ideas?

Xerck Xon Skyes

Smash Cadet
I think razor leaf should be Ivysaur's side b for sure. It's a trademark, so use it. Although I have two ideas for Ivysaur's down b attacks (which, I think, have yet to be mentioned by anyone, if so, disregared the next part of this post. I'm to lazy to search right now).

1. Strength: Ivysaur crouches down and then slide forward, scraping the ground causing earth to pile up and Ivysaur starts pushing a rock in it's path. The rock explodes at the end of the move. Medium knockback from both the pushing rock and the explosion.

2. Poison Powder: A cloud of purple covers Ivysaur (think PK Magnet like only with a longer range). Any opponent the gets close to Ivysaur during Poison Power accumulates damage over time (like Lip's Stick).

Then there is Squirtle. I love the bubble idea, and think that that should be done. With withdrawl though, I think it could be good, but I think water pulse should have been used (Squirtle learns it natureally AND skull bash belongs to pikachu). As for Squirtle down B (if not mention once again) should be:

1. Rapid Spin: Squirtle withdarws into it's shell and spins around. Works like the Luigi tornado, but with a smaller knockback.

2. Blizzard: Works the same way as Rapid Spin, but a barrage of ice comes out of the shell. Has a smaller knockback than rapidspin, but can freeze opponents who either get hit by the shell or by the very edge of the ice storm.

Finally for Charizard. Personally, I think that Seismic Toss should be either it's up or down throw. It would make more sence. The for the up b, either Fire Blitz or Fly, while Fire Spin for the down b (again, if not already talked about).

1. Fire Blitz: Charizard get coverd in a huge ball of fire (think Volt Tackle) and moves in the direction that the player decides with the joystick. It's pretty much Fox's Fire Fox. Same knockback to.

2. Fly: Charizard fully unfolds it's wings and starts spinning around (spin attack). Then the rest works like the Fire Fox. Player inputs the direction and Charizard moves. The first part of the move works like Link's Spin Attack minus the spike while the second part of the move works like the Fire Fox.

Down b:

Fire Spin: Charizard sends a flamthrower downward and create a cylinder of fire spinning in a circle like a magentic field. The flaming cylinder works like the tornado from Hyrule Castle for SSB64, with less of a knockback.

These are all of my ideas. Like I mention, I don't know what moves have been talked about already. I'm being a bit lazy with not searching, but meh, why not talk about all of the potential be moves while you can. Adds to the adventure.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Although I have two ideas for Ivysaur's down b attacks (which, I think, have yet to be mentioned by anyone, if so, disregared the next part of this post. I'm to lazy to search right now).
Did you forget that Down B is going to be used to switch pokemon? That sucks, doesn't it? It's too bad one of the former jump buttons can't be a "special cases button" that we could use to switch pokemon, or for transformations.

Xerck Xon Skyes

Smash Cadet
Did you forget that Down B is going to be used to switch pokemon? That sucks, doesn't it? It's too bad one of the former jump buttons can't be a "special cases button" that we could use to switch pokemon, or for transformations.
In all honesty.... I did....

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Ivysaur Side B: Leech Seed
Fires a seed that latches onto a foe and saps damagefrom it and heals Ivysaur with half the amount. Effect lasts about 5-10 seconds.

Squirtle Standard B: Bubblebeam
Fires a stream of bubbles that pop on contact

Charizard Up B: Wing Attack
Spins around once and shoots up, wings outstreched.

.:«Jeff»:.

Smash Rookie
I see Trainers side b attacks being:
Ivysaur: Razorleaf or Vinewhip (like Sheiks)
Charzard: Flamethrower or a flying move (like CF, Peach or Ganon)
Blastoise: Bubble Blast or a Side Spinning move (sort of like bowsers, but more like Yoshi's)
Up B:
Ivysaur: Vinewhip or Solarbeam
Charzard: Flying Technique
Blastoise: Spinning (likes bowser) or Water Cannons downward
Down B
Ivysaur: Thumping on Ground (like DK)
Charzard: Spinning ( like yoshi) or maybe flame attack on either side (like CF, only flames)
Blastoise: Surf (like Yoshi going up and doing ground pound)
Regular B:
Ivysaur: Razorleaf (like in 64)
Charzard: Flame (like Luigi)
Blastoise: Like the pokeball from Melee and 64

CaptainFalco30

Smash Cadet
...Pokemon Trainer's special moves were revealed a while ago.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/pokemon_trainer.html

So we have two specials per pokemon, and DownB switches

Squirtle's look fairly straight forward, with the Neutral B perhaps being watergun/bubblebeam. Ivysaur's bullet seed seems disappointing at first, but it's a great anti-air attack, and vine whip I imagine you can use like Sheik's chain in Melee and direct/spin, or ir may just shoot up and arc downward, grabbing the opponent or edge. The Forward B could be razor leaf, but two projectiles seems odd to me, maybe Stun Spore? A short range attack that briefly paralyzes others like Jiggs sleep attack (but good, like Ivysaur doesn't take so long standing there). Charizard's Rock Smash could either be a long range move, longer than flamethrower, or it could just smash the rock pointblank, dealing a lot of damage. The Up B may just be Fly, an upward body slam for vertical recovery.

I see Trainers side b attacks being:
Ivysaur: Razorleaf or Vinewhip (like Sheiks)
Charzard: Flamethrower or a flying move (like CF, Peach or Ganon)
Blastoise: Bubble Blast or a Side Spinning move (sort of like bowsers, but more like Yoshi's)
Up B:
Ivysaur: Vinewhip or Solarbeam
Charzard: Flying Technique
Blastoise: Spinning (likes bowser) or Water Cannons downward
Down B
Ivysaur: Thumping on Ground (like DK)
Charzard: Spinning ( like yoshi) or maybe flame attack on either side (like CF, only flames)
Blastoise: Surf (like Yoshi going up and doing ground pound)
Regular B:
Ivysaur: Razorleaf (like in 64)
Charzard: Flame (like Luigi)
Blastoise: Like the pokeball from Melee and 64
Let me point out all the mistakes you made:

1. Blastoise is not in the selection. It's Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard.
2. Vine Whip is already Ivysaur's up special.
3. Charizard's side special is already Rock Smash.
4. Squirtle's side special is already Withdraw.
5. Solarbeam is part of Triple Finish, the Pokémon Trainer's Final Smash.
6. Solarbeam makes no sense as an up special attack.
7. Squirtle's up special is already Waterfall.
8. All three Pokémon have the Pokémon Change move as their down special.
9. Ivysaur's standard special is already Bullet Seed.
10. Flamethrower is already Charizard's standard special.

I...really don't know what to say...

smashbot226

Smash Master
Umm...

who teaches their Squirtle Withdraw?!?

As to Captain Falco...

you fail in life.

EVERY SINGLE CHAR in Melee and the E 4 All demo has four B moves.

I hope that was a miscommunication, otherwise...

you fail in life.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
I think that Charizards Up B will be Seismic Toss (or whatever he used in the anime) he will fly up high, grabbing the enemie if he comes in contact with them then dive and slam them into the ground, an enemy can be grabbed at any point of this attack

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Umm...

who teaches their Squirtle Withdraw?!?

As to Captain Falco...

you fail in life.

EVERY SINGLE CHAR in Melee and the E 4 All demo has four B moves.

I hope that was a miscommunication, otherwise...

you fail in life.
In the line "So we have two specials per pokemon, and DownB switches," he was only referring to what was already confirmed on the dojo. >_>

If you read his entire post, you'll find that he goes on to speculate what each of the pokemon's yet-to-be-revealed move might be.

Try not to throw out the "you fail"s for no reason. It just makes you look foolish.

.:«Jeff»:.

Smash Rookie
Let me point out all the mistakes you made:

1. Blastoise is not in the selection. It's Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard.
2. Vine Whip is already Ivysaur's up special.
3. Charizard's side special is already Rock Smash.
4. Squirtle's side special is already Withdraw.
5. Solarbeam is part of Triple Finish, the Pokémon Trainer's Final Smash.
6. Solarbeam makes no sense as an up special attack.
7. Squirtle's up special is already Waterfall.
8. All three Pokémon have the Pokémon Change move as their down special.
9. Ivysaur's standard special is already Bullet Seed.
10. Flamethrower is already Charizard's standard special.

I...really don't know what to say...
...Pokemon Trainer's special moves were revealed a while ago.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/pokemon_trainer.html

So we have two specials per pokemon, and DownB switches

Squirtle's look fairly straight forward, with the Neutral B perhaps being watergun/bubblebeam. Ivysaur's bullet seed seems disappointing at first, but it's a great anti-air attack, and vine whip I imagine you can use like Sheik's chain in Melee and direct/spin, or ir may just shoot up and arc downward, grabbing the opponent or edge. The Forward B could be razor leaf, but two projectiles seems odd to me, maybe Stun Spore? A short range attack that briefly paralyzes others like Jiggs sleep attack (but good, like Ivysaur doesn't take so long standing there). Charizard's Rock Smash could either be a long range move, longer than flamethrower, or it could just smash the rock pointblank, dealing a lot of damage. The Up B may just be Fly, an upward body slam for vertical recovery.
I'm sorry, I didn't know. I must've missed that update when I went hunting. Thanks for the link to super smash bros page with trainer.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Charizard with Rock Smash is no worse than Mewtwo with Confusion, Disable, and many variations of "Tail Whip". The way I think it will work is that when Charizard breaks the rock with his head, the place where Charizard's head connected with the rock will be a sweetspot that deals major knockback. And the rock's scattering debris can also cause some damage...

In the Pokemon games, Rock Smash has always been portrayed as your Pokemon breaking a rock on the foe, so Charizard's move exemplifies it well...

pyroroth

Smash Journeyman
WHERE DOES HE GET THE ROCK FROM THOUGH?!?!?!?! And i always thought it was just a really strong hit.. a hit powerful enough to destroy rocks...

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle will most likely have bubble(beam) because technically mario
has water-gun though his doesnt do damage.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
I think razor leaf should be Ivysaur's side b for sure. It's a trademark, so use it. Although I have two ideas for Ivysaur's down b attacks (which, I think, have yet to be mentioned by anyone, if so, disregared the next part of this post. I'm to lazy to search right now).

1. Strength: Ivysaur crouches down and then slide forward, scraping the ground causing earth to pile up and Ivysaur starts pushing a rock in it's path. The rock explodes at the end of the move. Medium knockback from both the pushing rock and the explosion.

2. Poison Powder: A cloud of purple covers Ivysaur (think PK Magnet like only with a longer range). Any opponent the gets close to Ivysaur during Poison Power accumulates damage over time (like Lip's Stick).

Then there is Squirtle. I love the bubble idea, and think that that should be done. With withdrawl though, I think it could be good, but I think water pulse should have been used (Squirtle learns it natureally AND skull bash belongs to pikachu). As for Squirtle down B (if not mention once again) should be:

1. Rapid Spin: Squirtle withdarws into it's shell and spins around. Works like the Luigi tornado, but with a smaller knockback.

2. Blizzard: Works the same way as Rapid Spin, but a barrage of ice comes out of the shell. Has a smaller knockback than rapidspin, but can freeze opponents who either get hit by the shell or by the very edge of the ice storm.

Finally for Charizard. Personally, I think that Seismic Toss should be either it's up or down throw. It would make more sence. The for the up b, either Fire Blitz or Fly, while Fire Spin for the down b (again, if not already talked about).

1. Fire Blitz: Charizard get coverd in a huge ball of fire (think Volt Tackle) and moves in the direction that the player decides with the joystick. It's pretty much Fox's Fire Fox. Same knockback to.

2. Fly: Charizard fully unfolds it's wings and starts spinning around (spin attack). Then the rest works like the Fire Fox. Player inputs the direction and Charizard moves. The first part of the move works like Link's Spin Attack minus the spike while the second part of the move works like the Fire Fox.

Down b:

Fire Spin: Charizard sends a flamthrower downward and create a cylinder of fire spinning in a circle like a magentic field. The flaming cylinder works like the tornado from Hyrule Castle for SSB64, with less of a knockback.

These are all of my ideas. Like I mention, I don't know what moves have been talked about already. I'm being a bit lazy with not searching, but meh, why not talk about all of the potential be moves while you can. Adds to the adventure.
Hmm, I have slight problems with this proposal:

1. Squirtle's Rapid Spin and Blizzard are too similar to Withdraw. If anything involving Squirtle retreating into a shell, other than Withdraw, it should be Hydro Pump. The idea's not bad, but a bit redundant. Not to mention, the spinning in the shell is way too similar to Bowser's recovery move.
2. Charizard's Down B is the Pokemon switch. So no Fire Spin.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
>_< I can just imagine Charizard being really slow (even though he's the fastest of all three starters). His side b (Rock Smash) will be exactly like Bowser's fsmash.

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
Aqua Jet is a 4th generation attack and since
squirtle is a 1st generation they're probably going
with 1st generation attacks though aqua jet would be better.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Ivysaur uses Bullet Seed which is third generation, so that's not a problem.

Anyways, my take...

Squirtle having some type of water based projectile does make the most sense, and if it was something like Bubble, then it would both fit, and not copy others. Then again, Charizard's flamethrow seems to be a copy...Still, I think Bubble would fit in well enough, and there are some versitle things that could be done with the attack.

Ivysaur having a poison attack was actually hinted in a Nintendo Power, but then again, the credibility for that one is a bit up in the air. Still, something that actually attacks forward would be nice, since the other two specials don't do that. There are so many different things he could do though, it's hard to actually pick something...maybe a spin around with the vines? The poison cloud? A leach seed like attack? Oh well, I guess we should wait for Sakurai on this one.

Charizard has already been confirmed to be able to glide, and with that, he can probably multi-jump a bit. To keep in touch with the fact that he's a big lizard, his up B probably won't help him recover much. I think I'll go with the sessmic toss, or how ever you spell that. It's kinda his signature really, and would be pretty cool to look at. (But would he be a bit to close to Bowser?)

deathborn00

Smash Apprentice
maybe charizard's up B could be Fire Spin, and kinda work the same as Bowser's fortress. charizard is a fire pokemon after all, i'd assume he'd have more than one fire move.

as for squirtle's neutral B, it'll probably be a projectile for sure.

not sure what ivysaur could have, but i agree with the HM thing

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I would've liked Poison Powder on Ivysaur, Razor Leaf makes more sense I guess.

Charizard should have Fly, Dig, or Seismic toss.

Squirtle should either get Water Gun or Buubble (Beam)

Fawriel

Smash Master
Interesting image here:

We know vine whip is Ivy's up-b move, but he seems to be using it while running... does that mean he uses it for some A moves as well? The theory of a giant-range-disjointed hitbox Ivy looks promising... though I hope that's not all they gave him... the critter needs some full-body tackles!

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
^^^

it looks like his dash attack and yeah it looks like a big hitbox and a very different timing is needed. i was hoping his dash attack would be body slam. but he looks more different now more then ever.

how bout his forward smash. a vine?. or his Up smash. a straight and vast vine? high high reach would you not say

RyGuy41188

Smash Rookie
Im just gonna throw my predictions for their missing moves in to the mix.

Squirtle: Its deff. gonna be water gun! Its the most popular and most used water attack from the show and the game I would say. It will end up being like the F.l.u.d.d. and being a KO stealer I think.

Ivysaur: Razorleaf of Petal Dance because they are both similar from what I remember. I think you will be able to charge it like Sheiks needles of death from melee. The longer you hold the more leaf/petals there will be.

Charizard: Fly... it will be like Peachs up B. Ill also throw out there that charizard will have the same up grab as kirby!

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
the thing with water gun is that there if FLUDD. the mechanics wold have to be different... maybe it should do damage and less knock-back. but i am thinking surf. just a massive stream of water comes. dealing high knock-back. Squirtle follows in it. he would have full control in it. But he was withdraw and waterfall so its hard to pick.

Charizard should have something that gives him momentum into a glide. sizemic toss was his iconic move in the tv show. but i think that should be his up throw

with ivysaur well we know what it will be

Eagle

Smash Lord
Rock Smash is pretty stupid.

In-game you used it to destroy rocks blocking your pass.

Now tell me.. who teaches Rock Smash to destroy rocks that charazard creates himself??

I only want to use Squirtle :(

Edit: I just noticed, in the screenshot Fawriel posted with the green alternate costume of Ivysaur, not only does it make the bulb a light green, but it actually makes it's skin tone darker. That's much better then simply changing the bulb.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Interesting image here:

We know vine whip is Ivy's up-b move, but he seems to be using it while running... does that mean he uses it for some A moves as well? The theory of a giant-range-disjointed hitbox Ivy looks promising... though I hope that's not all they gave him... the critter needs some full-body tackles!
Honestly, I thought it was a failed dash-grab. Or an attempt at one.
Using vines for some A moves does make sense though.

Conner

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle

B : Water Gun : Shots a small blast of water that does damage.

Down B : Aqua Tail : Jumps up a little bit and slams the ground with its tail and it also createsa puddle.

Ivysaur

<-> B : Razor Leaf : Shakes its body and fires out about 3 or 4 leafs that go completely straight
OR​
Cut : Its chargable and Ivysaur slashes forward wit one of its vines.

Down B : Petal Dance : Makes Petals spin around it. It keeps going as long as you hold the button, but if
you go for too long your movement is mixed up.

Charizard

Up B : Wing Attack : Charizard spins upward as long as you hold the button, to a certain extent.

Down B : Seismic Toss : When I see Charizard I always think of this move from the show. He flys upward
and spins around twice and slams the ground. Keep in mind this isn't a slow move.

I think they should be these moves. I went ahead and included the Down B's too.

Brawler Lime

Smash Cadet
All people note:
THEY CANT HAVE DOWN+B ATTACKS!

If you have read the pokemon trainer article on smashbros.com, you would know thwt DOWN+B is Pokemon Switch. eg. Squirtle > Ivysaur, Ivysaur > Charizard, Charizard > Squirtle etc.

So they wont have attacks for DOWN+B

Top Bottom