• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Nah...we're good with types for now...there really isn't a need for a new type seeing as everything is more or less balanced, which is usually why types are added in the first place...and we JUST got a new type last Gen, so let's not get too ahead of ourselves...

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I'm with Aetheri Aetheri on this one. We don't need a new type every gen, there's no need for that I don't think. It has nothing to do with the types people have proposed not making sense either, it's just that we don't really NEED any more. If we did get anything new though, I would hope we get two new types to round out the number we have to 20 and appease my obsession with multiples of 5.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I am alright with adding a couple more types every other generation such as:

Cosmic, Sound, and Cyber. In regards to Sun & Moon, I want to see Cosmic the most seeing as how it focuses on two celestial bodies. Numerous other Pokemon would also get a nice retyping as well.

But other types such as Light, Wind, Wood, etc can be attributed to other pre-existing types. The Fairy type was added to balance out the Dragon type if I recall. I remember reading a fan game proposal some kid wrote up a while back somewhere where at least 50 new types were included. Granted, these types consisted of:

Rainbow, Weather, Sand, Mud, Iron, Plant, Stone, Laser, Lava, Venom, Bubble, Storm, Volt, Bone, etc etc. It was really ridiculous.
I agree, most ideas for types are too similar to existing types to warrant existing.
I feel that sound is different enough from anything else that it should exist on principle. I could see a cosmic or space type too.
Cyber strikes me as a bit similar to steel, but then again Water and Ice and Ground and Rock are more similar to each other. I'd be down with cyber too.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Thankfully I'm not the only one who doesn't wants a bunch of types straight out of bad fan-fictions. :laugh:

We don't need anymore. A few balances could be made but overall the type system is great the way it is now.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I won't be happy until I have my Chocolate type. We have Fire, Electric, Psychic, but no Chocolate? That doesn't make any sense.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sound functions slightly different than normal type

And with pokemon specifically immune to sound moves, but not any other normal moves

I think it should be a type of it's own. Because it ALMOST is...

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
New typing aside, I wasn't really keen on it being possibly focused on Hawaii but I've become ok with it and even liking the idea more and more.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do know that the Bug-type has problems in terms of offense, since as many as 7 types resist the Bug-type right now. I would think that the Fairy-type would have a weakness against Bug-type attacks, but that would obviously result in a double weakness for the Grass/Fairy (a type combination that already has a double weakness against Poison-type attacks) and the Psychic/Fairy type combinations, and it would also make the Poison-type attacks feel unnecessary to use without STAB. Of course, Fairy/Flying would only take neutral damage from Bug-type attacks, so there's a scenario where the Poison-type would be the better option to use.

I guess my thoughts about the Fairy-type would be like this...
  • Resistances
    • Fighting
    • Dark
  • Weaknesses
    • Poison
    • Bug
    • Steel
  • Immunities
    • Dragon
In terms of Fairy-type attacks...
  • Super effective
    • Fighting
    • Dragon
    • Dark
  • Not very effective
    • Fire
    • Poison
    • Bug
    • Steel

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
...I need to see more about these games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for them, but there hasn't been much revealed as of yet.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
...I need to see more about these games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for them, but there hasn't been much revealed as of yet.
What would you need to see to get fully hyped then? Personally I'm just excited that I'll have another solid game to play this holiday season, so I've already boarded the hype train.

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
What would you need to see to get excited then? Personally I'm just excited that I'll have another solid game to play this holiday season, so I've already boarded the hype train.
Eh, just a few things, like new Pokémon and a little more screenshots of the game in development.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm more or less excited. I'll be setting money aside to purchase this though I'm a bit worried it's only for the New 3DS which I do not have.

A Dark-type Gym is needed though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have this strange distaste for anything weak against fighting types.

That's why I didn't use normal or dark for the longest time.

I'm not sure why that happened.

I do know that the Bug-type has problems in terms of offense, since as many as 7 types resist the Bug-type right now. I would think that the Fairy-type would have a weakness against Bug-type attacks, but that would obviously result in a double weakness for the Grass/Fairy (a type combination that already has a double weakness against Poison-type attacks) and the Psychic/Fairy type combinations, and it would also make the Poison-type attacks feel unnecessary to use without STAB. Of course, Fairy/Flying would only take neutral damage from Bug-type attacks, so there's a scenario where the Poison-type would be the better option to use.

I guess my thoughts about the Fairy-type would be like this...
  • Resistances
    • Fighting
    • Dark
  • Weaknesses
    • Poison
    • Bug
    • Steel
  • Immunities
    • Dragon
In terms of Fairy-type attacks...
  • Super effective
    • Fighting
    • Dragon
    • Dark
  • Not very effective
    • Fire
    • Poison
    • Bug
    • Steel
I think the biggest nerf to bug types was stealth rock. I STILL hate stealth rock!

How many bug types are in OU? Scizor and Mega Pinsir. That's it.

Makes me wonder why they have such a big problem with bug types.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think the biggest nerf to bug types was stealth rock. I STILL hate stealth rock!

How many bug types are in OU? Scizor and Mega Pinsir. That's it.

Makes me wonder why they have such a big problem with bug types.
Mega Pinsir hates Stealth Rock though. Anyway, I think the reason for so much issues with the Bug-type is that that typing has often been cursed with having very weak Pokemon like Caterpie, Metapod, Wurmple, and even Scatterbug. And even their fully evolved forms aren't very viable at all. Even Beedrill struggled to be viable, until it got its mega evolution, which turned it into a beast.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Bug types have the lowest average stat total out of all types...it's not really that surprising because, they are bugs afterall...

Scizor and Mega Pinsir, may be the only OU bugs but there are still plenty of viable options out there that can be effective in battle, but don't get as much usage...
Heracross is a sweeper and likely would be OU if it had a bit more speed and some less crippling weakenesses...it's 4x weak to flying and OU's crawling with Gale wings Talonflame...
Galvantula is actually one of the more useful bug types and a fairly fast sticky web user...
Volcarona has that unfortunate 4x weakness to stealth rock but can be a good Quiver Dance sweeper..
Scolipede, Ninjask, Yanmega have access to Speed Boost, Swords Dance and Baton Pass which makes them effective for setting up...
Mega Beedrill is the definitive glass cannon, most people prefer other megas however, but M Beedrill is actually one of the best fairy killers out there...
Forretress, actually is one of best for setting up hazards, but is greatly outclassed by Ferrothorn who does the exact same except has better offensive moves...
Durant, you have any idea how awesome it is to pass Truant onto your opponent's pokemon?...

Remember Smogon tiers for the most part are determined by usage...some higher tiers are banned from lower tiers because of their power but other pokemon get a lot more usage than others...Caterpie isn't in OU because it is literally never used, though with the right set-ups it can sweep an Ubers team...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Talonflame is the bane of almost every Bug-type Pokemon in existence, all because of its Gale Wings ability. It does have to switch over to Flare Blitz when dealing with Scizor, Durant, Galvantula, Escavalier, or Genesect though. Whereas, Armaldo and Crustle can actually survive Brave Bird and Flare Blitz if Talonflame doesn't get a Swords Dance boost in; they can even wipe out Talonflame with Stone Edge.

I would've said Shuckle as well, but it has to use Power Trick to become a dangerous threat to Talonflame, and that leaves it very vulnerable to Talonflame's physical attacks, especially when Gale Wings gives Brave Bird increased priority; Trick Room won't help Shuckle at all against Talonflame.

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of rocks and how they outright make most bug types useless, I think a way to nullify rock damage would be good for not only them, but for the fire, ice, and flying types that suffer the same dilemma. One thing that could work would be an item that'd give the holder a one-time immunity to all entry hazards. There could also be a bug type exclusive ability that did the same thing without it only working once, maybe "Hard Shell" or "Exoskeleton" or something. I admittedly haven't thought too much on how that'd actually change the competitive landscape, but I think it'd be a good thing overall.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just make sure to always have a defogger or rapid spinner personally.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
On the topic of rocks and how they outright make most bug types useless, I think a way to nullify rock damage would be good for not only them, but for the fire, ice, and flying types that suffer the same dilemma. One thing that could work would be an item that'd give the holder a one-time immunity to all entry hazards. There could also be a bug type exclusive ability that did the same thing without it only working once, maybe "Hard Shell" or "Exoskeleton" or something. I admittedly haven't thought too much on how that'd actually change the competitive landscape, but I think it'd be a good thing overall.
Closest you'll get is the ability Magic Guard which only allows the user to take damage from attacks, and prevents all other damage...which includes all entry hazards...
There's also Air Balloon which prevents damage and effects from spikes and toxic spikes until the user takes damage, though it doesn't work against Stealth Rock...

This is usually why a lot of people will bring Rapid Spinners and Defoggers...as well as Magic Bouncers to reflect hazards back at their opponent...

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Closest you'll get is the ability Magic Guard which only allows the user to take damage from attacks, and prevents all other damage...which includes all entry hazards...
There's also Air Balloon which prevents damage and effects from spikes and toxic spikes until the user takes damage, though it doesn't work against Stealth Rock...

This is usually why a lot of people will bring Rapid Spinners and Defoggers...as well as Magic Bouncers to reflect hazards back at their opponent...
Oh right, forgot those even existed. That said though, none of those things accomplish what I was really aiming for with my suggestion. I'm aiming for bug types in particular to be able to safely switch in while rocks are out without having to use an item or rely on another Pokemon to do it. As we've already discussed here, there are very few bugs that can effectively pull their weight in OU or even UU. Seeing as entry hazards are such a central part of those tiers, I think giving some of them immunity to those hazards would be a good step forward in establishing them as viable Pokemon and upping their usage. I suggested having the same thing be available in item form so that certain other Pokemon that have a hard time dealing with rocks also have a chance at being used a bit more often, though at the cost of an item slot. Really the focus here lies in diversifying the meta, something I think the above suggestions may accomplish quite nicely.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'd bloody love it if entry hazards were removed from the game.

It's too far gone now though.

Stupid Stealth Rock.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here's a small wish list of content I would like to see in S/M:

• As mentioned before, a Dark-type Gym.
  • Rivals I actually want to compete against and push me forward.
  • A villainous team that is not such a pushover and actually is evil.
  • I am alright with a secondary typing being Fighting for the starters but some change would be nice. If it's Hawaii, I love the idea of a Water/Steel Shark Pokemon, a Fire/Fairy Fire Dancer Pokemon, and a Grass/Fighting Iguana Pokemon.
  • More legendaries than X/Y but not as many as D/P or B/W.
  • More unique ways to evolve Pokemon. Maybe event/time based.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
If we get another Fire/Fighting Starter I will lose my mind.
Same. I want a type that hasn't been done before.

Ghost, Bug, Ice, Electric, Fairy, Rock, Dragon* and Normal haven't been used.

*used in Mega.

I'd like the see the secondary typing counter the promary typing of what it's weak to... if that makes sense.

Imagine:
Fire/Grass
Grass/Water
Water/Fire

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just hope they give Raichu a mega and make the new regional pikachu not garbage.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I just hope they give Raichu a mega and make the new regional pikachu not garbage.
If the Hawaii theory holds true, I think we could get a mongoose Pokemon of some sort. According to the research I've done, Hawaii actually doesn't have squirrels at all, but it does have mongooses. They are native and numerous, and apparently some people even keep them as pets (though this is far from common).

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If the Hawaii theory holds true, I think we could get a mongoose Pokemon of some sort. According to the research I've done, Hawaii actually doesn't have squirrels at all, but it does have mongooses. They are native and numerous, and apparently some people even keep them as pets (though this is far from common).
You mean a mongoose other than Zangoose...

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
You mean a mongoose other than Zangoose...
Yes, in fact. It's not like we can only have one of a given species in Pokemon. We have several fish Pokemon for example. The mongoose is also the only relatively small furry animal native to Hawaii that I can see being made into a cute Pokemon, that's why I suggested that in particular.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Let's play a game. Pick 3 object/animals that you would like to see Pokemon based on. I'd like:

A triangle then accordian then grand piano Pokemon with Ghost/Normal typing.

A Pokemon based on a blacksmith wielding a giant hammer with Fire/Steel typing (it's stomach is a kiln)

A stingray Pokemon, which is Steel/Water and stands on legs holding its tail like a sword.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Personally, I'd like to see:

A ground/ghost type zombie.

A steel/flying (or cosmic/flying) UFO Pokemon.

And finally a fire/poison Gila monster Pokemon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think the topic was focusing more on the starters, and what their typings would be when they're fully evolved.

So far, we have...

1st generation: Pikachu + Raichu (electric mice)
2nd generation: Pichu (pre-evolution for Pikachu)
3rd generation: Plusle + Minun (electric rabbits)
4th generation: Pachirisu (electric squirrel)
5th generation: Emolga (electric flying squirrel)
6th generation: Dedenne (electric hamster)

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Let's play a game. Pick 3 object/animals that you would like to see Pokemon based on.
I'll say this every single time, I want my Ice Wolf dammit! Ice/Normal or Ice/Dark...I don't even care about the huge fighting weakness...
A Raptor Fossil, Rock/Dark...
Chupacabra can be a Dark type, or Bug/Dark even...

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I think the topic was focusing more on the starters, and what their typings would be when they're fully evolved.

So far, we have...

1st generation: Pikachu + Raichu (electric mice)
2nd generation: Pichu (pre-evolution for Pikachu)
3rd generation: Plusle + Minun (electric rabbits)
4th generation: Pachirisu (electric squirrel)
5th generation: Emolga (electric flying squirrel)
6th generation: Dedenne (electric hamster)
7th generation: electric ground gopher.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Electric Tenrec

It already looks like a real life electric type pokemon

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
An electric lemming who commits lemmingcide by overloading itself with electricity and explodes.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
More move inputs...

Psyfist
Type: Psychic
Category: Physical
Power: 90
Accuracy: 100%
PP: 10
Description: The user focuses its power to its fists, and strikes the target hard. It may lower the target's Defense one stage.
Learned by: Drowzee, Hypno, Mewtwo, Sableye, Meditite, Medicham, Metang, Metagross, Riolu, Lucario, Gallade, Regigigas, Darumaka, Darmanitan, Hoopa

Fierce Combat
Type: Fighting
Category: Physical
Power: 150
Accuracy: 80%
PP: 5
Description: The user attacks hard with its brute strength. The attack's power is so massive that even the attacker will take terrible damage after using it. The user takes damage equal to 1/2 the damage that the target received.
Learned by: Machop, Machoke, Machamp, Lucario, Sawk

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Move proposals eh?

Salt Spray
Rock
Special
BP-85
Acc-100
PP-15
Description: A strong blast of salt that may cause flinching. Breaks Reflect and Light Screen.
Learned by: Golem, Gigalith, Aggron, Steelix, Sandslash, Marowak, Dugtrio, Kabutops, Omastar, Carracosta, Armaldo, Cradily, Relicanth, Barbaracle, Corsola, Mantine, Wailord, Clawitzer, Lapras, Blastoise, Empoleon, Swampert, Pelipper, Dragalge, Kingdra, Gorebyss, Huntail, Sharpedo, Milotic, Kyogre, Groudon, etc...pretty much a bunch of rock and water types...

Eclipse
Dark
Status
BP-N/A
Acc-N/A
PP-5
Description: Dark type weather effect. Powers up Dark type attacks and Fire and Grass type attacks are weakened. Powers up Moon based attacks, like Moonblast, Moonlight, Lunar Dance, etc...
Learned by: Umbreon, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Vobeat, Illumise, Zoroark, Absol, Lunatone, Cresselia, Gardevoir, Beeheeyem, Deoxys, Gothitelle, Musharna, Gengar, Duscnoir, Trevanant, Gourgeist, Mismagius, Spiritomb, Sableye, Weavile, Darkrai, Krookodile, Liepard, Mightyena, Mewtwo, Celebi, Jirachi, Mew, etc...

Draco Fang
Dragon
Physical
BP-100
Acc-90
PP-10
Description: A powerful bite. May raise user's attack.
Learned By: Salamence, Rayquaza, Charizard, Sceptile, Gyarados, Garchomp, Aggron, Steelix, Tyranitar, Tyrantrum, Aerodactyl, Druddigon, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Flygon, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyruem, Dialga, Palkia, Ghiratina, Sharpedo

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Exploud is a pokemon just screaming for a mega evolution.

I'd give it more speed and special, although Pokemon company would probably do something dumb like raising it's attack.

Top Bottom