• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon Released! Discuss here!

Are you excited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fire/Dragon and Ice/Dragon would seem like the proper duo, since they'd only take super effective damage from Dragon-type attacks. The problem is, Reshiram and Kyurem already cover those type combinations.
I agree that Fire and Ice typings make most sense. Their secondary typings could be something else than Dragon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I agree that Fire and Ice typings make most sense. Their secondary typings could be something else than Dragon.
The problem is just trying to keep the playing field even. Fire/Dragon takes neutral damage from Ice-type attacks, while Ice/Dragon takes neutral damage from Fire-type attacks. Also, both would take super effective damage from Dragon-type attacks.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Hopefully they make the fully-evolved "route 1 bird" of this generation some other type than Normal/Flying, like they did with Talonflame.

I also wish they'd either give an evolution to the "Pikachu-clone" of this gen or don't make a Clonechu at all.

I wonder how many HMs are going to be in these games. I'm hoping that only a few (same amount or less than in X and Y).

Also, since one of the HMs has always been Cut, I wish they'd make it better in battles (I mean, the other three HMs that are in every game are not even nearly as terrible). Type change to Grass and increased attack power would make it much better.
I would love to see it be dark and flying or fighting and flying!

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Another (maybe) problem:
So, we learned that you can transport Pokemon from then VC release of R/B/Y to S&M. So, that's fine and dandy and all, but what about Missingno.? What does he turn into when he's transported? I mean, he's not a Pokemon after all, right?

I sort of have an idea, but it may or may not be entirely correct because I don't have the most firm understanding on hexs and the game's data storage. I'm gonna put my idea in a spoiler so people won't have to scroll down as much. And I'm really sorry if it's hard to read and comprehend, LOL.
If I'm correct, hexs (data entries) work in multiples of 2squared, right? So 2, 4, 8, 16, 256. Pokemon has 151 Pokemon that are stored in the the game. That's 151 bits of data. That obviously can't be held in 16, so the next closest number is 256. We already know what slots 1-151 are in the game, but then there's all this open/unused data from slots 152-256. 152-256 is where Missingno. comes in and basically fills everything up.

So, in theory, if you transfer Missingno. to S&M, will that data be turned into something from Chikorita (152) to Combusken (256), based on what number you've managed to summon? Or will Missingno. not be transferable at all?

I kind of think the latter is more likely to happen, but it would be kind of cool if you could abuse Missingno. and get something like a Celebi for S&M.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm pretty sure that glitch Pokemon won't be allowed in Pokemon Bank, so Missingno. can pretty much forget about invading a new generation.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I still want missingno to be cannon.

A legendary of pure evil, that's corrupted pokemon data, when a pokemon is left abandoned for to long. Make him like the shadow type, but a glitch type. Super effective on everything,( but weak glitch moves).

It a cool way to tie things together and make him one of a kind imo.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Now that the thought's in my head...I'm hoping the Sun legendary has a like a Tiki Sun god influence with Fire/Grass typing...
Dark/Fairy I think would fit the moon legendary pretty well...

I also read about a couple other Hawaiian deities since the region could be based on Hawaii...Pele being probably the most famous being a fiery volcano goddess...it could be possible to see a pokemon inspired by her...

There's also this one god of sorcery that punishes people by eating their eyes O_o!...who also is able to create these golem like creatures using wood, stone, coral, etc...So I could see a Rock/Grass type based on one of these perhaps with empty eye sockets as a reference to this god's....characteristic...

That's just a couple of ideas based on some research...

I'm also hoping that the plot, rivals, villanous team and postgame are better. In X and Y, rivals were lame, villanous team was "meh", plot felt quite unoriginal, and postgame was the worst in the main series since original Red and Blue.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
I'm very excited for Sun and Moon! I really can't wait to see the starter Pokemon and the main Legendaries. Hopefully they'll be revealed relatively soon... I mean, with X and Y, didn't they show off those Pokemon right away? That's what I remember, at least.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm very excited for Sun and Moon! I really can't wait to see the starter Pokemon and the main Legendaries. Hopefully they'll be revealed relatively soon... I mean, with X and Y, didn't they show off those Pokemon right away? That's what I remember, at least.
Yep, they were shown off in the trailer revealing XY.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
CoroCoro will probably have the starters next month.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Another possible typing duo for the legendary mascots could be Fire/Electric and Ice/Water.

HP: 100
Attack: 135
Defense: 100
SP ATK: 135
SP DEF: 100
Speed: 110

An ancient sun deity who is heavily worshiped by many. Legends say that its fire and electricity protected a village from a terrible blizzard. It tends to come out during the day, where it uses the sun's rays to maintain its power.

An ancient moon deity who is heavily worshiped by many. Legends say that its ice and water protected a village from a terrible heatwave. It tends to come out during the night, where it uses the moon's rays to maintain its power.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Another possible typing duo for the legendary mascots could be Fire/Electric and Ice/Water.

An ancient sun deity who is heavily worshiped by many. Legends say that its fire and electricity protected a village from a terrible blizzard. It tends to come out during the day, where it uses the sun's rays to maintain its power.

An ancient moon deity who is heavily worshiped by many. Legends say that its ice and water protected a village from a terrible heatwave. It tends to come out during the night, where it uses the moon's rays to maintain its power.
These are nice type combinations!

Fire and electric works well with the sun because of fire and plasma, same way that Ice and water does, due to the cold of space, and the water due to water within planets in space.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I wonder how many HMs are going to be in these games. I'm hoping that only a few (same amount or less than in X and Y).

Also, since one of the HMs has always been Cut, I wish they'd make it better in battles (I mean, the other three HMs that are in every game are not even nearly as terrible). Type change to Grass and increased attack power would make it much better.
You know what I'd like to see them do with HMs? For one, if one is required to get through a route or dungeon, have a sign at the entrances showing so. For two, maybe a while after you get the HM, you could gain access to a sidequest with a key item that imitated the HM as a reward. I know the whole "HM item" thing gets brought up a lot, but this way it wouldn't invalidate the original moves, would make the actually good ones like Surf and Waterfall still be obtainable, and add more optional sidequests!

And to be honest, I wouldn't mind if they made Heat Wave a TM. Fire moves on non-Fire types are pretty rare, and this one in particular is learned by quite a few non-Fire types and is strong enough to be worth using on a main party member! They could have it melt certain ice walls or something close to that.

Last edited:
You know what I'd like to see them do with HMs? For one, if one is required to get through a route or dungeon, have a sign at the entrances showing so. For two, maybe a while after you get the HM, you could gain access to a sidequest with a key item that imitated the HM as a reward. I know the whole "HM item" thing gets brought up a lot, but this way it wouldn't invalidate the original moves, would make the actually good ones like Surf and Waterfall still be obtainable, and add more optional sidequests!

And to be honest, I wouldn't mind if they made Heat Wave a TM. Fire moves on non-Fire types are pretty rare, and this one in particular is learned by quite a few non-Fire types and is strong enough to be worth using on a main party member! They could have it melt certain ice walls or something close to that.
Those sound like great ideas! Going through a cave and (after a million encounters with Zubats and Geodudes) discovering that you can't clear it due to a missing HM is annoying... sign would prevent that from happening.

Heat Wave is indeed a good move, so I wouldn't mind if it was a HM.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This is purely speculation but if Cosmic is introduced as a new type, I can see the mascots being Fire/Cosmic and Ice/Cosmic.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm definitely getting both Sun and Moon. I have both X and Y and both Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

I also plan to download Red, Blue, and Yellow. But I do wonder how stats, moves, and types will be affected when you transfer Pokemon from 1st gen games to Sun and Moon.

My 3DS library is growing big I feel it's time to get a second shoebox to store them. The shoebox I have is already full of DS and 3DS games.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been trying to think up some new moves, especially signature moves for the Fire/Electric and Ice/Water legendaries concept that I posted earlier.

Solar Storm
Type: Fire
Category: Special
Power: 100
Accuracy: 100%
PP: 5
Description: The user unleashes a burning light from the sun on the target. The user will then be engulfed in a fiery aura that'll increase Plasma Force's attack power by 50% for 1 turn. Solar Storm's attack power is increased by 50% if the user is engulfed in an electrical aura.

Plasma Force
Type: Electric
Description: The user unleashes a powerful storm of plasma energy on the target. The user will then be engulfed in an electrical aura that'll increase Solar Storm's attack power by 50% for 1 turn. Plasma Force's attack power is increased by 50% if the user is engulfed in a fiery aura.

Lunar Storm
Type: Ice
Description: The user unleashes a freezing light from the moon on the target. The user will then be engulfed in a frosty aura that'll increase Galaxy Force's attack power by 50% for 1 turn. Lunar Storm's attack power is increased by 50% if the user is engulfed in a watery aura.

Galaxy Force
Type: Water
Description: The user gathers water energy from the whole galaxy, and unleashes it on the target. The user will then be engulfed in a watery aura that'll increase Lunar Storm's attack power by 50% for 1 turn. Galaxy Force's attack power is increased by 50% if the user is engulfed in a frosty aura.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I really hope they don't add new types. Some balances are fine but every generation doesn't need a new type.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
To be fair, generations 3-5 never had any new Pokemon types added.
I know. It doesn't change my feelings toward the issue. If they add another type or two I'm not going to throw a hissy fit or anything. I just feel like now with fairy type we have enough.

My need for an even number does not influence my opinion at all!

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
One thing about new types being added, they served a purpose more than just for the sake of adding more types...but for balancing sake...

Psychic was a dominant type in Gen I...introducing the Dark type adding a more common weakness as well as an immunity against it...
Steel added a resistance to Psychic...

In competitive play Dragons throughout the years have been pretty dominant...Outrage can potentially sweep teams or leave a pretty huge dent in it...Steel pokemon were pretty much the only pokemon that could survive an Outrage, but some pokes like Arcanine and Dragonite would ahve no problem against steel types because they have access to Fire type attacks...
Then you have pokes like Salamence and Gyarados who had Moxie...
It also didn't help that Dragons weaknesses were rare, and didn't resist dragon typing...
Adding an immunity basically made Outragers have second thoughts because it now it can't simply run house on the opposing team, barring steel types...thus Fairy typing was introduced (I still don't like the immunity part but that's pretty much how it is)

At this point there are no specific types that have a glaring advantage, there are specific pokemon yes, but not necessarily because of their typings...Fairy is one of the better competitive typings right now, however Steel and Poison types as a results have gained an increase in competitive usage as a result....

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Steel/Psychic used to be one of the best defensive type combinations out there, especially when paired with the Levitate ability; that made it so Bronzong (who used to be one of the best Trick Room users in existence) would only be weak against Fire-type attacks if there aren't any Mold Breaker users around. Sadly, the 6th generation did mess up the Steel-type quite hard by removing its Ghost and Dark resistance. At least Steel/Fairy shares the same two weaknesses that Steel/Psychic had before the 6th generation came to play.

Of course, there are other type combinations that are more effective on defense, such as Bug/Steel. I would've said Water/Ground as well, but Freeze-Dry's existence pretty much mauls them just as hard as any Grass-type attack.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Steel/Psychic used to be one of the best defensive type combinations out there, especially when paired with the Levitate ability; that made it so Bronzong (who used to be one of the best Trick Room users in existence) would only be weak against Fire-type attacks if there aren't any Mold Breaker users around. Sadly, the 6th generation did mess up the Steel-type quite hard by removing its Ghost and Dark resistance. At least Steel/Fairy shares the same two weaknesses that Steel/Psychic had before the 6th generation came to play.

Of course, there are other type combinations that are more effective on defense, such as Bug/Steel. I would've said Water/Ground as well, but Freeze-Dry's existence pretty much mauls them just as hard as any Grass-type attack.
Metagross was a very strong pokemon competitively as well due to it's sheer power, and access to Magnet Rise...it only just went back up in viability due to it's Mega...

Freeze-Dry is just one move keep in mind, and even though it has an extra strength compared to other ice type attacks, it's not quite as strong as other ice type attacks like Ice Beam...it's also not used by too many pokemon, most of them are not that viable from a competitive standpoint, besides Mamoswine, who's a physical attacker and usually works best with Ice Shard or Icicle Crash...
Water/Ground is still a very effective type combo due to it's immunity to Electric and Volt Switchers...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Still thinking about some new moves, such as the one below.

Aqua Jaw
Type: Water
Category: Physical
Power: 90
PP: 15
Description: The user bites its target with fangs engulfed in water. The attack may cause the target to flinch. Power is boosted by the Strong Jaw ability.
Learned by: Gyarados, Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligatr, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Huntail, Floatzel, Basculin, Tirtouga, Carracosta

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of HMs, I think they should be done away with entirely to be honest. I think the Ranger games did it the best, in that series a Pokemon didn't need to know an HM in order to perform an action. Instead, certain Pokemon were just able to do certain types of things in the overworld if they were strong enough to accomplish the task at hand. I think bringing that concept over to the main series games could really be great. Imagine walking into a dark cave with your Charmander and having it's tail automatically light up the immediate area instead of having to use and waste a move slot for Flash. Or how about being able to blaze through ice puzzles in caves by having a Pokemon use Flamethrower to melt a path through it? Another thing that sort of system could allow for is more immersive exploration. Imagine coming across a path in a dense forest blocked by thick vines that can only be cut by a strong enough Pokemon. Or imagine spotting a far off island surrounded by strong currents and whirlpools that you could only reach by surfing with a Pokemon that was a powerful swimmer. That'd add that much more immersion to the experience of playing the games, and I think it could be a really cool addition to the series.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some more move names that I've managed to think up.

Boulder Rush
Type: Rock
Power: 90
PP: 10
Description: The user charges at its target with the strength of a solid rock. It may lower the target's Defense 1 stage.
Learned by: Geodude, Graveler, Golem, Onix, Cubone, Marowak, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Aerodactyl, Steelix, Phanpy, Donphan, Swampert, Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Cranidos, Rampardos, Gible, Gabite, Garchomp, Rhyperior, Archen, Archeops, Terrakion, Landorus, Binacle, Barbaracle, Tyrunt, Tyrantrum

Air Bomber
Type: Flying
Power: 95
PP: 10
Description: The user dives down at the target at high speeds with its wings spread out. It may lower the target's Defense 1 stage.
Learned by: Charizard, Pidgeot, Fearow, Aerodactyl, Zapdos, Moltres, Dragonite, Murkrow, Skarmory, Swellow, Altaria, Tropius, Salamence, Starly, Staravia, Staraptor, Honchkrow, Unfezant, Archeops, Rufflet, Braviary, Tornadus, Fletchling, Fletchinder, Talonflame, Hawlucha

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
No Sun/Moon news from the Direct today...but that was probably to be expected. The games won't be out until the holidays, so they weren't as high of priority. Looks like we're waiting until Corocoro to learn more.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
So, besides the trucks thing, what new feature do you guys think will happen in this game? Pokémon costumes? Jobs/Factions? New type? Something else?

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
eltoroguaco eltoroguaco , I think some people were speculating that we'd be getting some variant of something called "Burst" from a Pokemon manga that came out a while ago. They think it'll be tied to Ash-Greninja somehow from what I've heard. I personally don't buy it, and honestly I REALLY hope it doesn't become a thing. It IS the only theory around that really has any evidence to back it up though. Here's an article that explains it a bit. That aside, I don't know that I really want any new features to be added this gen. I think they're much better off expanding on existing or past features (Mega Evolution, character customization, expanded traversal mechanics, etc...).

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
Ok... a thing I immediately noticed on the Pokémon direct that I've heard no one talk about is what he said about sun and moon when he announced them. "It's been 20 years of Pokémon and this year it all come together in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon". Do you think that is a hint on something big? Like multi-regions or larger national Pokédex? Or do you simply think it's a classic marketing scheme and means absolutely nothing?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
A couple things I'm thinking that regard that quote...

-Character customization will not only return but they could pull a Final Fantasy Explorers and the player will be given the option to dress as previous trainers from other regions (depending on if you pick a boy or girl of course) Or perhaps even other trainers found in other games like Gym leaders and rivals...this would be pretty cool actually...Imagine playing as Steven? or Cynthia? or N? or any number of characters....Zinnia?

-All starters available in the game, another thing people have been speculating, and seeing as this game's being released for the 20th anniversary, it would not be too much of a stretch for it to happen...personally I would actually like it if the starters could actually be caught in the wild for once, but that's probably never going to happen...I would like to see new starters added as well as there are a ton of possibilities...I feel like all the starters will be available within the game at some point, whether it'll be all at once when you start your journey, or if we'll get opportunities post-game like in ORAS to choose different starters...

-This is a big stretch but, imagine if each area of the game we visit was a part of each region, we end up facing one gym leader from each region as we travel all over the pokemon world then finally taking on...it's an idea that popped into my head, probably not the preferred outcome but it possible...I would prefer a full region though, but being able to visit other regions would be cool...perhaps post-game will involve something like this? a separate special league that requires one specific badge from each region, maybe? until battling a final gauntlet? perhaps facing all the champions?

-The highest pokemon availability...Kalos so far has the most pokemon available so much so that it needed multiple pokedexes...this game will likely have even more available in game in addition to whatever new pokemon we'll see...

-Past features return...Having pokemon outside their poke-balls, Secret bases, a second region post-game, contests, customization, megas, pokegear and number storage, Battle frontier...etc...

-perhaps a combination of the above...

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
-Character customization will return

-Past features return...Having pokemon outside their poke-balls, Secret bases, a second region post-game, contests, customization, megas, pokegear and number storage, Battle frontier...etc...
Give me half of these and I'll buy a 3DS and the game day one.

eltoroguaco

パンツ
NNID
eltoroguaco
I'd love to see the "Pokemon outside their balls" feature return! Secret Bases is possible as they did an upgrade to that on ORAS. Seem wasted to upgrade that system only for that game. Even when the original secret Bases only existed in RSE

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
On the topic of types...

Sound Type needs to be a thing. Honestly don't know why it isn't yet.

On the topic of types...

Sound Type needs to be a thing. Honestly don't know why it isn't yet.
I agree: I've suggested this idea myself before, and I even made a list of possible Pokemon and moves changed to the type:
Pokemon:
Whismur, Loudred and Exploud (Sound)
Chatot (Sound/Flying)
Igglybuff, Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff (Sound/Fairy)
Politoed (Water/Sound)
Chingling and Chimecho (Psychic/Sound)
Kricketot and Kricketune (Bug/Sound)
(maybe) Audino (Normal/Sound)
(maybe) Wailmer and Wailord (Water/Sound)

Moves:
Boomburst
Confide
Echoed Voice
Growl
Heal Bell
Howl
Hyper Voice
Noble Roar
Perish Song
Relic Song
Roar
Round
Screech
Sing
Snore
Supersonic
Uproar

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am alright with adding a couple more types every other generation such as:

Cosmic, Sound, and Cyber. In regards to Sun & Moon, I want to see Cosmic the most seeing as how it focuses on two celestial bodies. Numerous other Pokemon would also get a nice retyping as well.

But other types such as Light, Wind, Wood, etc can be attributed to other pre-existing types. The Fairy type was added to balance out the Dragon type if I recall. I remember reading a fan game proposal some kid wrote up a while back somewhere where at least 50 new types were included. Granted, these types consisted of:

Rainbow, Weather, Sand, Mud, Iron, Plant, Stone, Laser, Lava, Venom, Bubble, Storm, Volt, Bone, etc etc. It was really ridiculous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom