• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Stadium 2: A good counterpick?

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I discovered a few useful things while playing on this stage earlier:

1) In the Ice stage, if you dash and then cancel to Fsmash the slide gives your already good-ranged Fsmash almost twice what it had.
2) In the Flying stage, Kirby has 2 fstall-then-falls that get around the inability to fast-fall and greatly increase his mobility, especially once you get your opponent in the air and they're stuck while you combo like crazy, Stone/FC, then repeat.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
...unless you're playing a Diddy. And that's provided the stage is even legal.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Pokemon Stadium 1 is much better. The weird ledges mess with a lot of characters and theres a bunch of walls to get people up against with your vulcan jabs.

I find PS2 far too annoying to play on too.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I thought I was the only person that's king of this stage. ;D

If your use to this stage then this could be the thrid best counterpick stage for Kirby, that and Snake has trouble dealing with this stage.... the Snake players that I played at least.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I thought I was the only person that's king of this stage. ;D

If your use to this stage then this could be the thrid best counterpick stage for Kirby, that and Snake has trouble dealing with this stage.... the Snake players that I played at least.
Yeah, once you grab Snake and get him in the air during the Flying stage he's almost helpless, begging to be comboed =)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
2) In the Flying stage, Kirby has 2 fstall-then-falls that get around the inability to fast-fall and greatly increase his mobility, especially once you get your opponent in the air and they're stuck while you combo like crazy, Stone/FC, then repeat.
I...don't understand exactly what you're saying. Can you go into a little more detail?

With that said, while I suppose this stage doesn't have any disadvantages for Kirby, I dislike it. I find it easier to juggle people in regular gravity, instead of the way it is in the air part.

The ice thing sounds good. The electric stage pisses me off. It's hard to recover, you get the "free-falling" animation when you final cutter at the end and the escalator pushes you off, and people could potentially edgehog that, so you fall to your doom.

I agree though, Pokemon Stadium 1 is better. The windmill allows you to kick the crap out of people below it, and the rock stage is the best. Not only are there jabbing-walls, but the crooked ledges in the middle make for a fun slide for your Stone ^_^ that a surprising amount of people will get hit by. Unless that's the fire stage. I forget.

Anyway.... Pirate Ship ftw! That stage also has the "flying" gravity at one point, if you really love it. I just like that stage though. If you are more used to playing it than your opponent, you'll probably have the advantage. I won a tourney match because my opponent got killed by the bombs..twice :)

Squirtle the Master

Smash Cadet
If you wanna be gay, Kirby's best CP is Jungle Japes. If its legal in the tourney you goto, Inhale them walk off the left ledge, and if they're heavier than you, they'll be behind you when the water takes them down, meaning it gives you time to recover and not them. If they do recover, you can footstool or spike them. It works on MK, well, if they side-b as soon as they get out of the water, I think they maybe safe. Yes, I've been gay enough to do this in tourney....ALL 3 STOCK xD. And about PS2, as sheer madness said, they stage imo is pretty annoying and it usually isn't legal, Japes is banned in a few tourneys, but PS2 is banned way more often. I haven't tested Japes gayness with G&W though, I'd say it MIGHT work, but if they get out of the water, then they are prolly safe, I'll test it later. I'd say Frigate is a good counterpick for Kirby, but I do good at Frigate no matter who I use so I dunno.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Depending on your style and how good you are dictates what stage will be more beneficial to you...Personally, I'd counter pick Pictochat for Kirby....He has a great advantage on the ledge if you do his D-bair....

8BitRevolver

Smash Journeyman
yea i cp this stage against a snake and rocked him
i think his best stages r this, frigate, and jungle japes

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
frigate??? How bout jungle japes against MK b/c the water means no worries about getting gimped (u just land in the water and get carried wherever). Inhale to fall in the water ***** all on this stage as long as they are heavier.

Rainbow cruise beats anyone as long as u know the stage exceptionally well. I've literally had matches where we only made it to the pendulum thing and i killed all my opponents three stocks lol thats not even halfway around!

Hanenbow, Uthrow and brick are great here but this stage is more to throw ur opponents game off. Plus PK2 is almost banned everywhere in the US as far as i know

Squirtle the Master

Smash Cadet
Electroplankton is too good, however its being banned in more tourneys lately :( did Plank gay it too, well its big as hell to begin with, promotes too much camping.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, Hanenbow has been banned at all the midwest tourneys I've looked into.

And lol at Plank, I watched his match against Toast on Luigi's Mansion yesterday, now I see why LM is banned in the east. Then again, I also see why people want to ban Meta Knight himself ^_^

I once played a tourney pools match on Bridge of Eldin, because me and my opponent were both noobs that forgot it was banned :D
People that saw were like o_O

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I...don't understand exactly what you're saying. Can you go into a little more detail?
Whew, I'm not the only one who doesn't understand that...

I agree though, Pokemon Stadium 1 is better. The windmill allows you to kick the crap out of people below it, and the rock stage is the best. Not only are there jabbing-walls, but the crooked ledges in the middle make for a fun slide for your Stone ^_^ that a surprising amount of people will get hit by. Unless that's the fire stage. I forget.
I wouldn't cp PS1 against a Pikachu though. Pikachu can be devastating on that rock part if he gets you on the left of that big rock.

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
When the Flying stage becomes active, fast-falling is disabled and all characters' normal fall speeds get cut in half. Stall-then-falls, aka moves that cause a character to fall straight down at high speed, still work, however, and in this case are an efficient way of going up and down on this stage while your opponent is left hanging in the air. More specifically, simple Uair chains could be finished, then Stone/Final Cutter to get the jumps back, then go up again and keep going. Works especially well against characters without an effective Dair, you have complete control.

This is assuming, of course, that your opponent doesn't have a stall-then-fall too. ^^"

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Pokemon Stadium 2 is a stage that doesn't cause damage or a KO from some stage hazard. It doesnt have the right to be banned because of that. Its a great counterpick stage.

Blizzard stage: It is a very effective stage if you can use the ice to slide back and forth while attacking, thats a free wavedash but on ice. lol.

Electronic stage: Also with the moving belts also assist on KO, imagine fighting Snake on the electrical field of that stage... Snake falls off because the moving belts sends him off to the side, then Snake will try to up+B, Kirby can then run in for the grab release aided by stepping on the moving belt to move in closer faster while running to the edge and grabbing SNake out of his up+B, then releasing Snake as soon as the belt forces Kirby off stage, forcing a grab release, gimping Snake badly.

Wind stage: Using final cutter, and stone will help kirby get down faster, so Kirby can use this effectively without having to worry about being stuck in the air for too long. This stage is great against MK too, it prevents him from using his specials, and Kirby can attack will many more up-air to up-air combos.

I cannot emphasize this enough, its a great Kirby stage, especially against the top tiers and it is a counterpick stage and shouldnt be banned because it has no damaging hazards and it doesnt have any hazard that has alot of knockback, get used to the stage adaptability and this stage will work wonders for you. This stage has alot of strategic potential. I promise you won't regret it.
If someone you play in a tournament tells you that stage is banned, say: hell no its not!

Percon

Smash Lord
This seems like the kind of stage that doesn't benefit many characters directly, but if you got enough practice here to get used to the intricate elements you could use your knowledge to beat out your opponent, and develop your own tricks with your character here.

For Kirby, I agree that the fastfall moves are useful on the air stage. Dirt stage is boring and really campy. The electric one is fun; most people have no idea what to do.

IMO Lucario does well here, he can abuse all the elements fairly well.

I don't think Kirby has enough range to do so, but as I said, learn the stage well enough and you can use it as a counterpick against almost anyone.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Kirby can to though, he can jab lock any character there, though the smaller u are the easier it is to get out.
True, but I wasn't thinking of the jab lock (though that does work). A good Pikachu can and might keep you stuck down there through thundershock and thunder, and if he does, there's really not too much you can do.
I know it sounds easy to counter, but last time I played a good Pikachu as MK I couldn't get out of that corner. It looks simple and you'd think that you could easily just float above and air dodge, but the spammed thundershocks down the cliff wall, forcing me to keep a distance from it as I tried to jump back up, and by the time you get near enough to the pikachu to do anything, you're too low on jumps to properly maneuver. On top of that, a Thunder wall can be especially effective on that rock stage.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
ok, I get it now. I kinda used Rock already on the wind part, but I have never been too good at juggling people. They just seem to airdodge.

I don't see why the stage would be banned though, is there a list of justifications for all "official SBR" banned stages?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
ok, I get it now. I kinda used Rock already on the wind part, but I have never been too good at juggling people. They just seem to airdodge.

I don't see why the stage would be banned though, is there a list of justifications for all "official SBR" banned stages?
It's not banned. Its a perfectly legal counterpick stage. It just that some people only like to play on neutrals only, it's their personal preference, not the community preference. In my opinion they fail hard if they only play neutral stages are they only play neutral stages so much that they are really great on neutral stages, like how Skell only likes to play on FD. lol. You have to adapt to as many stages as you can to win.

Top Bottom